• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forspoken |OT| Shut the cuff up

GymWolf

We can't point out terrible game design? That entire prison break section felt like someone's first attempt at video game. Either give me full control OR make it a nice cinematic so I can sip my Togouchi in peace. Don't stop me in my tracks every 10 seconds.
You can, but we both know it's not a huge deal since it's a minimal part of the game that nobody gives a fuck about.

You can't even call that a game mechanic since it's a 2 min section that you do one time in a 20 to 40 hours open world game.

We can at least agree on that?

I fucking hate dancing minigames, if a piece of equip was locked behind a minigame that request high skills i would be pissed, this is not a yakuza game, it's a fantasy infamous game.

Peace and love guys, let's not fight over fucking forspoken:lollipop_kissing_smiling:

Last edited:
Paola Bracho Gasp GIF by MOODMAN

You messed up that quote bruv

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
I had to put the one in last judgement to very easy.

Go, hop, rabbitts!!!
It was very nice of them to let the player choose the difficulty, since the minigame is mandatory if you want to close the Professor's case.

I did it on the hardest one, and it was an actual challenge. But I love rhythm based games, like Beatmania on the GB or Rhythm Tengoku on the GBA.
Too bad that skill is only useful in videogames since on real life I can't dance for shit. :goog_relieved:

GymWolf

It was very nice of them to let the player choose the difficulty, since the minigame is mandatory if you want to close the Professor's case.

I did it on the hardest one, and it was an actual challenge. But I love rhythm based games, like Beatmania on the GB or Rhythm Tengoku on the GBA.
Too bad that skill is only useful in videogames since on real life I can't dance for shit. :goog_relieved:
The opposite for me, i love real dancing but i hate any form of dance minigame.

sainraja

I have been watching others play the game who acknowledge the flaws in the game but are also able to appreciate the good things the game is doing, in other words, they are not simply looking at the negatives and magnifying those. I don't think I will be getting the game anytime soon but seeing them play makes it look pretty fun. Based on the demo, I don't know if I would be able to pull off moves like that or adapt to it's game style but they made me want to play it lol.

Last edited:

SkylineRKR

I am having a ton of fun with this. Its weird because I never bought God of War and Horizon sequels but I did buy Sonic Frontiers and now this lol. I guess I want different games.

And like Sonic, this game positively surprises me. Forspoken is really fun. They build a new IP, with its own lore. I can respect that these days. And Frey is really good! Shes fun, brash and level headed. The cuff is.. he's like many of those sidekicks, aware hes not human but probably once was, has some one liners and some sarcasm. But I don't mind him yet and I have the chatter on default. The NPCs are okay too, the first settlement was rather decent with some side things to do. But what I like most is the parkour, and ofcourse the magic casting. It all feels good. Its pretty kick ass if you throw spells while elegantly evading enemy projectiles and swipes. There are treasures tucked away on the map, and also minerals for crafting. Its just a fully realized game world with side quests, crafting, ponds that upgrade you etc.

As for the graphics, I think it doesn't look bad. the animations and action look good. Lighting is just flat accross the board. It starts in NYC, its night time and snowing, but its atmosphere is nothing like Miles Morales for example. But its not all bad, the game can look good. The soundtrack is rather killer by the way. I couldn't stop playing after 2 or so hours which is a good thing.

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
How do you use the zip ability? I just beat the boss and walked over to the ledge and it says hold square to use zip. I've tried it everywhere on the damn tower across the gap and nothing happens.

Power Pro

I was watching the stream Jeff Gerstmann did of this game, it was only first couple chapters, but I dunno...I kinda like what I saw. Tempted to get it, but I still don't wanna pay $70 on PS5.

Gotta say, that is a really well rendered cat also.

GymWolf

How do you use the zip ability? I just beat the boss and walked over to the ledge and it says hold square to use zip. I've tried it everywhere on the damn tower across the gap and nothing happens.
Is the zip the fire whip?

In the demo it was on square, keep pressing for precise aiming.

I didn't beat the first boss yet.

GymWolf

I was watching the stream Jeff Gerstmann did of this game, it was only first couple chapters, but I dunno...I kinda like what I saw. Tempted to get it, but I still don't wanna pay $70 on PS5.

Gotta say, that is a really well rendered cat also.
Yeah, for cat lovers this game is the shit.

Too bad they used the inferior house pet tho.

Power Pro

I watched him play too and he is very impatient. I took my time and liked what I played so far
Yeah, I noticed that too. It seemed like he was reaching for things to nitpick about too. I can't say how i'd feel about it through the whole game, but I didn't mind the banter between Frey and Cuff either.

Played the first two chapters on hard. Its fine, mediocre even. I remap the magic parkour to X button and its way better in combat now. Will look and see when I unlocked more epic spells. The world looks very Nier Replicant ish with abandon towns and monsters.

A 7/10 is what I put it since there is a lot of ameteur hour stuff even in the first 2 hours. Fade to blacks, Frey completely stopping to have a conversation with Vembrace, the repeated dialogue during the first real boss, some of the robotic dialogue between the duo felt like an a.i wrote and recorded it.

Also early game magic parkour not being as tight as I want it to. Example: I could not make Frey NOT jump over the staggered dragon for the finisher. Just run forward, no need to do the circus jump girl. I still remember how smooth and badass controlling the douchebag from Infamous second son felt. Frey is a bit clunky.

Last edited:

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Did about 4 hours this evening and I am genuinely loving this game. I don't understand where the hate is coming from. I think I am on chapter 5 or 6.
I am pretty deep or almost finished with the first open area and I am having a blast.
Like seriously... I am not projecting here. The game is really good. It's like a mix of crackdown and infamous 2nd son.,
-The game is BEUTIFUL and has fantastic HDR. It is much more monotone in screenshots than it is when I play it. I play on lg c1, so HDR is really good of course. But the vibrancy and detail of the world is great.
-Why is the game so heavy? What about volumetric fog and cloud shadowing? or very highly detailed models? or long view distance? The weather changes dynamically as fog sweeps in or out. It is really impressive. I am constantly stopping to take screenshots.
-The combat is pretty engaging and very cool looking. Some enemies can be challenging. But so far I am mostly using the machine gun spell and support spells.
-I don't mind the banter. It's actually pretty fun to have some comments in open world. I like the dynamic.
-The movement is great. Parkour is just very satisfyng
-Music is so good. The safe house theme, the exploration music especially in first open world area. Love it.
-The characters are very well voiced and acted. Story and cutscenes are engaging.

People are way to harsh on it. The game has about the right amount of stuff to do in the open world, graphics are good, audio is good, plays good. I can see it getting repetitive sure. And the performance is CRAP with a lot of slowdowns (quality 40mode)

Remember the screenshots with terrible looking kids and npcs?! Yeah, right.... Look at these random NPCs.
One thing to note - the screenshots are much less saturated and dynamic range is compressed compared to playing with HDR... and ps5 compresses 4k shots to 1mb if you play with HDR too.

Tae4pOF.jpg

446uQ5Q.jpg

Ok, other shots:
zZffRpk.jpg

JKGUdHF.jpg

NIuyycm.jpg

aFYiDew.jpg

xquB6d9.jpg

xz9wNpV.jpg

Seriously. This game might be one of best HDR showcases yet. I will try to take some shots of the tv maybe lol

Last edited:
Game does pick up quite a bit starting from chapter 4, and the combat on hard can definitely get intense at time, especially when it's a horde of zombies mixed with some other enemies, and the mutants are a good test of skill since they can one shot you.
Also why I don't understand people putting magic parkour on a toggle, that sounds far too annoying in combat.

Slowly clearing the map on the way to sila, and it feels you get a good amount of progress wherever you choose to go, beelining they story triggers seems like you'll miss out on a lot.

Hobbygaming

has been asked to post in 'Grounded' mode.
Did about 4 hours this evening and I am genuinely loving this game. I don't understand where the hate is coming from. I think I am on chapter 5 or 6.
I am pretty deep or almost finished with the first open area and I am having a blast.
Like seriously... I am not projecting here. The game is really good. It's like a mix of crackdown and infamous 2nd son.,
-The game is BEUTIFUL and has fantastic HDR. It is much more monotone in screenshots than it is when I play it. I play on lg c1, so HDR is really good of course. But the vibrancy and detail of the world is great.
-Why is the game so heavy? What about volumetric fog and cloud shadowing? or very highly detailed models? or long view distance? The weather changes dynamically as fog sweeps in or out. It is really impressive. I am constantly stopping to take screenshots.
-The combat is pretty engaging and very cool looking. Some enemies can be challenging. But so far I am mostly using the machine gun spell and support spells.
-I don't mind the banter. It's actually pretty fun to have some comments in open world. I like the dynamic.
-Music is so good. The safe house theme, the exploration music especially in first open world area. Love it.
-The characters are very well voiced and acted. Story and cutscenes are engaging.

People are way to harsh on it. The game has about the right amount of stuff to do in the open world, graphics are good, audio is good, plays good. I can see it getting repetitive sure. And the performance is CRAP with a lot of slowdowns (quality 40mode)

Remember the screenshots with terrible looking kids and npcs?! Yeah, right.... Look at these random NPCs.
One thing to note - the screenshots are much less saturated and dynamic range is compressed compared to playing with HDR... and ps5 compresses 4k shots to 1mb if you play with HDR too.

Tae4pOF.jpg

446uQ5Q.jpg

Ok, other shots:
zZffRpk.jpg

JKGUdHF.jpg

NIuyycm.jpg

aFYiDew.jpg

xquB6d9.jpg

xz9wNpV.jpg

Seriously. This game might be one of best HDR showcases yet. I will try to take some shots of the tv maybe lol
You speak the truth my brother

Tae4pOF.jpg

446uQ5Q.jpg

Ok, other shots:
zZffRpk.jpg

JKGUdHF.jpg

NIuyycm.jpg

aFYiDew.jpg

xquB6d9.jpg

xz9wNpV.jpg

Some of those shots look really good. 30 fps, right? Does it feel laggy in that mode?

GymWolf

Hdr on the demo was absolute shit lmao.

rofif rofif did you changed something in the parameters to make it look good?

But yeay the game is a lot of fun and surprisingly hard sometimes.

Last edited:

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Some HDR pics to more/less show how it looks on ps5 before converting screenshots.
PS5 saves screenshots in HDR. Shame we can't copy in hdr format!
of course iphone pics don't do the HDR brightness justice but it's better than sdr screenshots.

mzixxXn.jpg

NoVxhNi.jpg

E2utI2u.jpg

z7z84L6.jpg

Freeza93

Banned

Tae4pOF.jpg

446uQ5Q.jpg

Ok, other shots:
zZffRpk.jpg

JKGUdHF.jpg

NIuyycm.jpg

aFYiDew.jpg

xquB6d9.jpg

xz9wNpV.jpg

skyrim looks good these days. Seriously it reminds me of it with mods

Last edited:

Power Pro

Ended up picking this up on PS5 (needed something to cheer myself up, so I bought another game), and while I'm still early, it seems alright so far.

I don't hate Frey as a character, but thinking about it...I still really wish they had done something different, because this type of character I feel has been done a million times. Especially since this was a Japanese studio, I wish they didn't default to another American sassy character.

Maybe this is the weeb in me coming out, but I actually think this could've been a lot more interesting if it was a Japanese 20 year old girl. Not an anime style Japanese girl, but a more realistic one. I'm admittedly a person who loves Japan, and Japanese culture, but despite what most people think, it's not just anime tropes that I like. One of my favorite things about the Yakuza series for me has been to see the culture from a more realistic point of view for a change. Sure, it's zany and wacky in other ways, but the characters and writing are very pure Japan. Would have loved to see this kind of down the rabbit hole story if it was a Japanese person, and not just another troubled young American which I feel we've seen plenty of times already.

Just my take anyway, I'll keep playing it and think it's going to be a decent game still. Just think it could have been more unique.

Doom85

Would have loved to see this kind of down the rabbit hole story if it was a Japanese person, and not just another troubled young American which I feel we've seen plenty of times already.

0qDaOyA.jpg
WLotMBu.jpg
Bb97Nr2.jpg
PDsvNxu.jpg

Seriously, I’m pretty sure there have been far, far, FAR more Japanese characters being transported to a fantasy world than American characters. Let’s give some other cultures a chance. I know you said “not anime”, but I mean making the character not Japanese just makes it even less anime-like. And honestly, you’d be surprised how many anime characters really aren’t that far off in displaying personalities. Like, a lot of Japanese people are perfectly lovely, kind individuals…..but that doesn’t mean there isn’t quite a few “unique” individuals amongst them to say the least.

Power Pro

0qDaOyA.jpg
WLotMBu.jpg
Bb97Nr2.jpg
PDsvNxu.jpg

Seriously, I’m pretty sure there have been far, far, FAR more Japanese characters being transported to a fantasy world than American characters. Let’s give some other cultures a chance. I know you said “not anime”, but I mean making the character not Japanese just makes it even less anime-like. And honestly, you’d be surprised how many anime characters really aren’t that far off in displaying personalities. Like, a lot of Japanese people are perfectly lovely, kind individuals…..but that doesn’t mean there isn’t quite a few “unique” individuals amongst them to say the least.
You may be right, I forgot about those series. Unlike what people think of as most "weebs" (god i hate that word, but it unfortunately fits), I don't actually watch a lot of anime. I'm a gamer first and foremost, I prefer my media to be interactive, so I don't sit and watch a lot of things unless it's a movie, and even then I prefer the theater going experience.

Doom85

You may be right, I forgot about those series. Unlike what people think of as most "weebs" (god i hate that word, but it unfortunately fits), I don't actually watch a lot of anime. I'm a gamer first and foremost, I prefer my media to be interactive, so I don't sit and watch a lot of things unless it's a movie, and even then I prefer the theater going experience.

Theres a ton of isekai, and most are forgettable, but there are a few good ones.

Re: Zero - the MC might test your patience a bit, but it does tell a genuinely engaging and dark story with good character development.
No Game No Life - purely focused on fun in the most insane way
Konosuba - pokes a lot of fun at RPG cliches but also the characters themselves are just funny

Power Pro

Theres a ton of isekai, and most are forgettable, but there are a few good ones.

Re: Zero - the MC might test your patience a bit, but it does tell a genuinely engaging and dark story with good character development.
No Game No Life - purely focused on fun in the most insane way
Konosuba - pokes a lot of fun at RPG cliches but also the characters themselves are just funny
Ya know the problem that all of those share though? The main character is usually a young boy. I would like to see it from a female perspective for a change. So many of those animes don't appeal to me, because they always have these bland male protagonists, so they can be a fill in for the guys watching it to be a self insert and just have the girl characters be their magical waifus, and nothing more. At least that's how it comes across.

Would like to see a Japanese female character as strong willed as Frey is in this. To bring up Yakuza as an example again, one of my favorite parts of the whole series is when you get to play as Haruka, just being a teenage girl, but trying her best to become an idol. You aren't controlling her boyfriend, or Kiryu during this sequence, you're finally able to see things through her eyes, and empathize with her. Because I love Japan, and I like to see things from their eyes, male or female, I want to see more of this. Seeing through the eyes of girls from that society, and not just as another horny boy. I probably think Frey is another type of stereotype because I do see a lot of American fiction, because the west isn't as afraid to have more fiction with characters in her demographic. I've seen it plenty already, and maybe if I watched more Japanese tv drama, or something, maybe I would find what I was looking for more. Guess what I'm saying there could be more of it in games, and anime.

Doom85

Ya know the problem that all of those share though? The main character is usually a young boy. I would like to see it from a female perspective for a change. So many of those animes don't appeal to me, because they always have these bland male protagonists, so they can be a fill in for the guys watching it to be a self insert and just have the girl characters be their magical waifus, and nothing more. At least that's how it comes across.

Would like to see a Japanese female character as strong willed as Frey is in this. To bring up Yakuza as an example again, one of my favorite parts of the whole series is when you get to play as Haruka, just being a teenage girl, but trying her best to become an idol. You aren't controlling her boyfriend, or Kiryu during this sequence, you're finally able to see things through her eyes, and empathize with her. Because I love Japan, and I like to see things from their eyes, male or female, I want to see more of this. Seeing through the eyes of girls from that society, and not just as another horny boy. I probably think Frey is another type of stereotype because I do see a lot of American fiction, because the west isn't as afraid to have more fiction with characters in her demographic. I've seen it plenty already, and maybe if I watched more Japanese tv drama, or something, maybe I would find what I was looking for more. Guess what I'm saying there could be more of it in games, and anime.

Well, the ones I listed definitely don’t qualify. Subaru from Re: Zero might start off somewhat generic, but he goes through some MASSIVE character development, to the point that episode 18 of Season 1 is pretty much entirely devoted to a major breakthrough for his growth. Sora (who is technically co-leads with his sister Shiro) from No Game No Life is pretty much a confident, snarky yet ultimately caring badass. Kazuma from Konosuba is a slight asshole though occasionally altruistic who can barely avoid getting his ass kicked frequently (which is true for 3/4 of their party, save Megumin…..who wastes all of her day’s magic on a single massive Explosion spell because she loves it over all other spells). They’re not generic Mary Sue blank slates like Kirito from Sword Art Online.

As for female MCs in isekai:

i3XUQta.jpg
HJn6V8Z.jpg
w54QClO.jpg
ne4O9NT.jpg
GeXPPUl.jpg

SkylineRKR

So the gameplay finally clicked after 10+ hours. I like it. The enemies are nothing special, this is very reminiscent of Devil May Cry where the goons are literally fodder and you barely remember them even after 1000 kills. But its the gameplay loop thats just as awesome in Forspoken. I think I have my ideal setup, which is ofcourse Auto item pick up, auto support spell. But, more and more I manage support spells myself. You'll want, when debuffed (and yeah I did make a necklace with immunities, but I also need to level up Aegis lol), to manually swap to Aegis or Leach. Or to Bind for crowd control. And the buffs are helpful too, for example before you unleash your Surge. I also advise to put parkour on Semi-Auto. I can't do without anymore. Because it only takes you to hold O for a second and for the rest you use LR, this means you can easily press jump to Shimmy to your hearts content, or press square. You might struggle to get to a halt when trying to land, but just click L3 to get out of flow instantly. And running should always be on L3/O setting. I don't see why not. This is much better in towns or when out of stamina.

Now I have Frey's tree maxed, and Sila's about 75% I think. I do have all attacks. Its known that you can hotswap sets with d-pad, but, its even better to hotswap with L1+R1+O to go back to Frey or Square to go to Sila. This is also an attack and keeps you on the offensive while you switch. Generally you never want to charge lvl 3 spells either, and the game does explain this close to the Praenost castle. You want to charge after doing flow, or a support spell which brings out the level 3 instantly. But you can really lay waste on enemies with this, and having your best offensive spells on muscle memory. You can also do extra attacks if you press X before releasing your R2 charge, the sword attacks change into the aerial version.

I beat my first Mutant, the Deer in the third area. It was a tough fight but I did decent damage on him. I play on Hard.

The gear I am kind of conflicted on. It seems you can't convert wasted resources back on cloaks and necklaces you upgraded only to find a better one with higher base stats soon. For now I stick with Unstoppable, I also crafted close range attack buff on it.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
So the gameplay finally clicked after 10+ hours. I like it. The enemies are nothing special, this is very reminiscent of Devil May Cry where the goons are literally fodder and you barely remember them even after 1000 kills. But its the gameplay loop thats just as awesome in Forspoken. I think I have my ideal setup, which is ofcourse Auto item pick up, auto support spell. But, more and more I manage support spells myself. You'll want, when debuffed (and yeah I did make a necklace with immunities, but I also need to level up Aegis lol), to manually swap to Aegis or Leach. Or to Bind for crowd control. And the buffs are helpful too, for example before you unleash your Surge. I also advise to put parkour on Semi-Auto. I can't do without anymore. Because it only takes you to hold O for a second and for the rest you use LR, this means you can easily press jump to Shimmy to your hearts content, or press square. You might struggle to get to a halt when trying to land, but just click L3 to get out of flow instantly. And running should always be on L3/O setting. I don't see why not. This is much better in towns or when out of stamina.

Now I have Frey's tree maxed, and Sila's about 75% I think. I do have all attacks. Its known that you can hotswap sets with d-pad, but, its even better to hotswap with L1+R1+O to go back to Frey or Square to go to Sila. This is also an attack and keeps you on the offensive while you switch. Generally you never want to charge lvl 3 spells either, and the game does explain this close to the Praenost castle. You want to charge after doing flow, or a support spell which brings out the level 3 instantly. But you can really lay waste on enemies with this, and having your best offensive spells on muscle memory. You can also do extra attacks if you press X before releasing your R2 charge, the sword attacks change into the aerial version.

I beat my first Mutant, the Deer in the third area. It was a tough fight but I did decent damage on him. I play on Hard.

The gear I am kind of conflicted on. It seems you can't convert wasted resources back on cloaks and necklaces you upgraded only to find a better one with higher base stats soon. For now I stick with Unstoppable, I also crafted close range attack buff on it.
I am also 10 hours in but you are further. I am exploring the deserty area and doing stuff there.
I get a real crackdown orbs collecting vibe from this.
Can I go anywhere or do I need item to get places?
I still have unexplored places in first few areas.

I have 300 mana and trying to think what skills to upgrade. Generally I am doing everything I can before going to next objective.

Btw. What mode you are playing on? I kinda regret not getting this on pc. Looks good but runs like shit in quality 40 mode in some areas :p

SkylineRKR

I am also 10 hours in but you are further. I am exploring the deserty area and doing stuff there.
I get a real crackdown orbs collecting vibe from this.
Can I go anywhere or do I need item to get places?
I still have unexplored places in first few areas.

I have 300 mana and trying to think what skills to upgrade. Generally I am doing everything I can before going to next objective.

Btw. What mode you are playing on? I kinda regret not getting this on pc. Looks good but runs like shit in quality 40 mode in some areas :p

You need to beat the first story boss, which is easy if you explored a lot since you will be stacked with spells, and likely have decent upgraded necklaces and cloaks. With the second magic deck, you can explore a lot more. Generally its wise to upgrade the Surge (lvl 3 Frey Surge melts and gives poison DoT), and get the level 3 attack spells. Also do their challenges. Surge recharge faster perks are good too (I use the enemy numbers boost).

I followed John's advice. 120hz Ray Tracing. Its mostly good but there are some drops. Its not stable, but it plays generally well and a lot of stuff happens, like huge enemy counts, particles, AoE spells etc.

Last edited:

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
New 1.02 update is out:
"
Today’s Forspoken version 1.02 will fix a few of these issues. More fixes are coming with the Forspoken version 1.000.003 update.

Forspoken Patch Notes – January 31, 2023

• Adjustments have been made to HDR mode.
  • Localization and spelling fixes.
  • Various minor fixes.
  • Certain technical issues occurring on Steam Deck has been fixed.
  • Performance and stability has been improved on Steam Deck.
  • Made general stability improvements.
  • Addressed various game crashing issues.
  • Addressed missing audio and dialogues.
  • Fixed various glitches
  • Added stability fixes.
  • Added general stability fixes.
"
People on reddit say this improved the bright white city John showed in his video. And supposedly performance but I wouldn't bet on that. I am only now installing the update

Beat sila and am in chapter 6 now, kinda baffling they'd keep the superior combat locked away for 6 chapters, sila's magic makes combat so much more interesting.
Kinda exploring the world now before I continue with the story, went to the demo area and then all the way back to the start of the game where you fight the dragon and....
sweating key and peele GIF

There's a pretty beast cloak in the tower there though, absolutely worth getting before moving on.
Also killed that one mini boss titan thing with the heath regen, took a long time and some one shot kills, but silas magic actually made it fun.

SkylineRKR

I beat the game on hard today, I decided to go for the ending after I maxed my gear (my cloak is capped at 65 magic.. I guess I didn't do the challenge?). The twist is decent. The post game is kind of fun with some new things to do.

I like it, and mostly for the traversal, animations and combat. If you don't feel these things, then this game might not be for you.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
I beat the game on hard today, I decided to go for the ending after I maxed my gear (my cloak is capped at 65 magic.. I guess I didn't do the challenge?). The twist is decent. The post game is kind of fun with some new things to do.

I like it, and mostly for the traversal, animations and combat. If you don't feel these things, then this game might not be for you.
Just finished it moments ago. Took me 30 hours and I've not even visited some areas at all!
Loved the game, especially the movement and powers, even though I think some of the powers were redundant and clunky to switch to. Same issue I had with infamous 2nd son and wish the game focused more on only 1 skill tree.
I liked the story and characters too but had some gripes with the "reveal" later on. I will describe in spoiler tag.
I also thought the graphics were pretty amazing. Especially some of the views and model detail.
Overall, I really enjoyed the game and it's a pity, plenty of people will skip it FOR ALL THE WRONG REASONS like bad graphics and bad dialogue? like... these are not a problem. Repetitive open world tasks are a problem but a fun combat and movement make up for it + no task is forced on you.
I very much disliked and was very annoyed by the constant fades in and out and the game stopping you in place for few seconds too long after every cutscene.
And why would a nugget and other items occasionally get a pop up screen even though I collected a ton of them.
The game stops you WAY TOO much and you can feel that. But on the other hand, there are absolutely no ragnarok loading corridors and callisto protocol vents. Once you are out playing, you are speeding.

Overall the game felt like a mix of crackdown1(15%), Infamous 2nd son (50%) and final fantasy (35%) to me.

Solid 8/10 from me. You can feel the ambition and love they put into this game. It got many cool ideas and some moments just put a smile on your face. The parts that hold it back are repetitive tasks in open world, constant fade in/out and clunkiness of some stuff.

ENDING SPOILERS
So the cuff is a monster from another land who came in 21 years ago to attack athia.
So this means that Athia is just a continent that was attacked by the "enemies from over sea".
This is all fine but none of this explains why is cuff so bad? Who is he? Did he spread the break or is break an effect of corrupted tantas.
How is some demon from other part of the world, so pwoerfull?

And I find the connection of Frey with Cuff to be unsatisfying in the end. Will he corrupt her? Will he start understanding humans?
It is really a lost point for me that he didn't learn any empathy through the whole game. How re they going to cooperate now? IS HE WATCHING HER SHOWER.

And why is the guy in the tower still locked up?! he was right all along. Let the man go wtf.

Last edited:

SkylineRKR

About the final:

Cuff is Susurrus. A demon conjured up by the enemies of Athia after they lost the war. Its instructed to lay waste on Athia and will stop at nothing to do so. This is why Frey is initially seen as a demon, it was not her, but what she carried along. This is also why Prav was so conflicted I think, she knew Frey was innocent but the Vambrace on her was the culprit. He is indeed responsible for the corruption. He did so through the Tantas, who each carried a piece of him and deliberately stayed far away from eachother. But they gradually went insane and corrupted the lands.

His goal actually alligns with theirs though, take their powers. Only without Cuff knowing, this will empower Frey without the need of him. He thought it was all his and she was nothing without him. But shes the daughter of Cinta and thus a Tanta as well, the others still knew somewhere and wanted to empower her so that she could save Athia.

I did miss Cuff for gameplay reasons, since the scan is useful, as is his blocking and parry. But for the rest, her powers were never his. He just unlocked Frey's Tanta heritage without her knowing about it yet, when she finds out, she can do everything except for the scan and blocks. I think its good that he's back with you in the post-game (there are also perks that compliment his actions).

In the end he's latched onto Frey again, and makes it clear that his goal will always be to drive her insane. But I think she's immune to it, since she's also immune to the break for the entirety of the game. Because she's an earthling? For the rest he acts same old and helps her again. In the end he's just a machine that follows an order, and it seems he indeed doesn't change his goals. He is permanently bonded now. So I guess he's fucked, he's on an earthling immune to his corruption.

Rather, how did he end up in NYC? Did Cinta throw it through a portal? Apparently he detached her arm to travel along with Frey, must've missed it.

Last edited:
Top Bottom