• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forza 3: First official glimpse

I feel sorry for the devs if they're reading this thread and haven't added one...

...I bet they're cursing the management pretty fiercely at this point. :lol

That said, even if they have I bet that 90% of the people requesting it here will complain because it's not as detailed as the one in GT.

Label

The Amiga Brotherhood
Personally I am not sure why everybody loves cockpit view, I find it totally unplayable and its nothing like driving a real car. When driving a car you dont just see half of the view out of the windscreen, totally ruins your spatial awareness. But maybe thats just me.

hood cam for life.

Blame!

Label said:
Personally I am not sure why everybody loves cockpit view, I find it totally unplayable and its nothing like driving a real car. When driving a car you dont just see half of the view out of the windscreen, totally ruins your spatial awareness. But maybe thats just me.

hood cam for life.

its really just fodder for fanboy and console wars. DOES YOUR FAVORITE RACING GAME HAVE COCKPIT VIEW? NO? THEN IT SUCKS!

etc etc

Flavius

Blame! said:
its really just fodder for fanboy and console wars. DOES YOUR FAVORITE RACING GAME HAVE COCKPIT VIEW? NO? THEN IT SUCKS!

etc etc

See kids!

When you don't have a fucking clue, play the fanboy card! Works every time!

Or...not.

drohne

hyperbolically metafictive
i never use cockpit view either, though it can look really cool. it's like why give up all that screen realestate. i wish i could drive my actual car with a hood cam

Label said:

hood cam for life.

And still, people are able to play racing and other games from a first person perspective on a tv/computerscreen, which is comparable to viewing the world through a window. Some people seem to be susceptible to it and others not.

Gowans

why has this turned into a cockpit view discussion thread?

Anyway I have never played a game in cockpit view until Midnight Club (not on bikes tho). PGR 4 made it look great but I always preferred the 1st person view in all games that had the option until Midnight club, I don't know why but I really think they got the view and sense of being placed inside the car while showing you as much as the road as possible exactly right in that game.

When in Rome :)

Gowans007 said:
why has this turned into a cockpit view discussion thread?

Anyway I have never played a game in cockpit view until Midnight Club (not on bikes tho). PGR 4 made it look great but I always preferred the 1st person view in all games that had the option until Midnight club, I don't know why but I really think they got the view and sense of being placed inside the car while showing you as much as the road as possible exactly right in that game.

When in Rome :)

MC was the first arcadegame that actually did it right. It also helped that the chase cam sucked donkeyballs.

whitehawk

Banned
Ranger X said:
where's that shit coming from? Some dude typing a doc and took pictures?

There was a leak before last years E3, and a lot of the information that was leaked was true. Such as the Avatars, GH4's touch panel guitar and tons of other stuff. I would say there is a good chance that that info is true.

Kolgar

All I ask for is the ability to transfer our handmade liveries over to Forza 3. I spent a shitload of hours and made some I really liked.

spyellowmini.jpg

op_ivy said:
i disagree.
the ugh was from the GT comparisons. it was a clear troll. this IS a forza thread, i dont think people care what your opinion is regarding which handles better in here. Thank you.

:lol
that is baseline GAMEPLAY FOR A DRIVING SIM. which matters.

you cared enough to respond, thank you.

ps was it not che who wrote something about GT that i was responding to? yeah...i brought GT into the equation.....:lol

Haunted

Blame! said:

etc etc
:lol that is such bullshit.

Flavius said:
See kids!

Or...not.
srsly.

tbh, I'm astounded of the number of people who play with the bumper cam. Pretty much known as the tard view in my circle of friends. Never met someone who liked to play with it (except in Motorstorm which was missing a cockpit view, incidentally). Just goes to show that there are takers for every option. >_>

Still, I maintain that no cockpit view would be a huge downer and pretty much not acceptable for an AAA racer this gen. Dirt, PGR3, TDU, GT5P, PGR4, Grid - they all have it (and I use and love it in every single one of em) - if Forza doesn't, that's a fucking big minus in my book.

hie

Haunted said:
:
tbh, I'm astounded of the number of people who play with the bumper cam. Pretty much known as the tard view in my circle of friends. Never met someone who liked to play with it

i suppose this means you just don't have friends that are fans of many racing sims? or do you guys call them 'tard sims'?

Kolgar said:
All I ask for is the ability to transfer our handmade liveries over to Forza 3. I spent a shitload of hours and made some I really liked.

No kidding. It's the only game with this kind of customization that I ever really delved into.

34zk4sp.jpg

231zcw.jpg

fjfakh.jpg

2vcdi4y.jpg

I still do this day have no idea how the fuck I pulled off that Noodle.

I'll take this over cockpit view any day of the week.

DuckRacer

Yeah, the customization was the best part of Forza 2. I didn't really get into creating liveries, but I bought some off the auction house. Including this:

forza-rockband2.jpg

forza-rockband1.jpg

I want this bitch in Forza 3. They just have to let us transfer them.

They HAVE to have some kind of in car view at this point, without it they will be seen as being inferior to the competition.

eso76

yay, this turned into a "forza 2 liveries thread...again !" !
might as well boot FM2 up and start working on a FM3 logo to put on my cars.

And yes, i've stated before that they should really find a way to make FM2 liveries compatible with FM3.

I never understand how people can have patience required to create all that livery using basic objects.

Feature to be able to create this on PC using any photo editing software would be nice.

Haunted

hie said:
i suppose this means you just don't have friends that are fans of many racing sims? or do you guys call them 'tard sims'?
Mostly PC racers, tbh. Played in cockpit view, naturally.

I concede that this is purely anecdotal and could (will) be different depending on your circle of friends. I didn't want to invalidate or validate anything with that comment, just say that that's the mindset I share and that's where I'm coming from. 'twas not meant as an argument, just a personal observation.

BenjaminBirdie said:
I still do this day have no idea how the fuck I pulled off that Noodle.

I'll take this over cockpit view any day of the week.
Why does it have to be either or? :( I don't even see the connexion. The livery editor is there, it was pretty good in 2. If it were a question whether they improve the livery editor they've already built for 360 Forza OR implement cockpit views, then we wouldn't be having this discussion.

Of course, it's not that simple.

Stoney Mason said:
You mean games like Dirt and Grid I assume?
Dirt, Grid, TDU, PGR 3 + 4, GT5P, Midnight Club.

Hell, it's easier to name the AA racing games who don't have a cockpit view this gen, and they're almost exclusively full-on arcade racers (Burnout, Excite, Motorstorm).

Haunted said:
Dirt, Grid, TDU, PGR 3 + 4, GT5P, Midnight Club.

Hell, it's easier to name the AA racing games who don't have a cockpit view this gen, and they're almost exclusively full-on arcade racers (Burnout, Excite, Motorstorm).

Most of those either aren't big sellers (Not that Forza is) or on other platforms where "competition" won't factor in for the most part.

Forza will or won't be be a title that sells enough for Microsoft but the in car camera thing is mainly fodder for messageboards.

Haunted

Stoney Mason said:
Most of those either aren't big sellers (Not that Forza is) or on other platforms where "competition" won't factor in for the most part.
I know where you're going with this, and naturally I can't say "they need a cockpit view or people won't buy the game" with any amount of authority.

What I will say is that I can believe that people (including the target audience) will perceive this as a minus, a feature which they are accustomed to from other, similar games and one that this game will be lacking.

Basically, I, as a consumer want them to implement cockpit views or I'll be pretty let down because I'm getting (and loving) that feature from the competition. Whether Turn 10 regards this as financially viable or not is sadly a completely different matter - che's posts in this thread said as much. I've seen enough spreadsheets analysing whether to implement certain modes in games or not, the budget allotment, the change in break-even points and all that jazz. :/

Haunted said:
I know where you're going with this, and naturally I can't say "they need a cockpit view or people won't buy the game" with any amount of authority.

What I will say is that I can believe that people (including the target audience) will perceive this as a minus, a feature which they are accustomed to from other, similar games and one that this game will be lacking.

Basically, I, as a consumer want them to implement cockpit views or I'll be pretty let down because I'm getting (and loving) that feature from the competition. Whether Turn 10 regards this as financially viable or not is sadly a completely different matter - che's posts in this thread said as much. I've seen enough spreadsheets analysing whether to implement certain modes in games or not, the budget allotment, the change in break-even points and all that jazz. :/

That was more my point. That racing games outside of a few cases aren't big sellers in America anymore for the most part and I'm skeptical that an in car view is the deciding factor for the ones that do sell although I of course understand the desire in the thread that people do want the feature.

mujun

Haunted said:
:lol that is such bullshit.

srsly.

tbh, I'm astounded of the number of people who play with the bumper cam. Pretty much known as the tard view in my circle of friends. Never met someone who liked to play with it (except in Motorstorm which was missing a cockpit view, incidentally). Just goes to show that there are takers for every option. >_>

Still, I maintain that no cockpit view would be a huge downer and pretty much not acceptable for an AAA racer this gen. Dirt, PGR3, TDU, GT5P, PGR4, Grid - they all have it (and I use and love it in every single one of em) - if Forza doesn't, that's a fucking big minus in my book.

cmon you are being a hypocrite here. you call someone out when they make excuses for no cockpit view but then make an excuse yourself for why anyone who doesnt use cockpit view is a retard.

im sure nobody in this thread saying they are fine without a cockpit view would begrudge those ppl who wanted one of it and by the same token im sure the ppl who really want a cockpit view wouldnt begrudge ppl like me of being happy to use some other camera angle, right?

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
Andronicus said:
:lol
that is baseline GAMEPLAY FOR A DRIVING SIM. which matters.

you cared enough to respond, thank you.

ps was it not che who wrote something about GT that i was responding to? yeah...i brought GT into the equation.....:lol

are you really old enough to drive?

Haunted

mujun said:
cmon you are being a hypocrite here. you call someone out when they make excuses for no cockpit view but then make an excuse yourself for why anyone who doesnt use cockpit view is a retard.

im sure nobody in this thread saying they are fine without a cockpit view would begrudge those ppl who wanted one of it and by the same token im sure the ppl who really want a cockpit view wouldnt begrudge ppl like me of being happy to use some other camera angle, right?
Yes, in hindsight that comment came out much more dismissive/agressive than I wanted it to.

I'm just afraid they'll listen to those people who don't want a cockpit view instead of those who... do. :/

mujun

Haunted said:
Yes, in hindsight that comment came out much more dismissive/agressive than I wanted it to.

I'm just afraid they'll listen to those people who don't want a cockpit view instead of those who... do. :/

i feel your pain. i would have bitched about lack of dual analog controls in armored core threads back in the day :lol

DuckRacer

Sleeker said:
lol @ all the cockpit/hoodcam view stuff.

i usually just play car games with the default behind the car view
Same here.

I played in cockpit/bumper view on PS2 where my DFP is supported, but since Microsoft loves to shun that stuff I just use 3rd person. For me, using a cockpit/bumper view for immersion when you're controlling your car with a thumb stick and triggers is ultimately fruitless. You may as well actually see what car you're driving.

mujun

Sleeker said:
lol @ all the cockpit/hoodcam view stuff.

i usually just play car games with the default behind the car view

i used to in more sim like games but i eventually got to the point where i cant take corners properly from the behind view (think it was with gt3).

i still play arcadey racers from behind view though, motorstorm 2 for example.

Zaptruder

Banned
After playing with GT5 in cockpit view for a bit... while I think it's a nice option to have, what I would actually prefer to see is:

A view where the camera is mounted on the hood, right at the windscreen, and the HUD has the speedo and tacho in the style of the car that the player is driving.

That would probably be ideal; providing the player with the best viewing angle, as well as still providing characteristics or personality of the car that the player is driving.

Blame!

Flavius said:
See kids!

Or...not.

i'd like to see a forza with cockpits, don't get me wrong. i just think people are putting way too much value into this one feature. in other words the feature itself is being used for ulterior motivefs.

Gbeav

Banned
Blame! said:
i'd like to see a forza with cockpits, don't get me wrong. i just think people are putting way too much value into this one feature. in other words the feature itself is being used for ulterior motivefs.

Cockpit view has become the ultimate for driving sims. Many may not like it but the hardcore call it the choice of the best of the best.

I never liked it until what gtP did. Now I'm hooked.

op_ivy said:
are you really old enough to drive?
:lol trying to talk shit and attempt to get personal to draw attention away from my point? pretty sad.

Truespeed said:
Does controlling his mom from the back seat of a minivan count?
my mom died 6 years ago thanks asshole

SSM25

It's weird people minimize the importance of the cockpit view in a simulator......

I really hope this feature is included this time.

mujun

Gbeav said:
Cockpit view has become the ultimate for driving sims. Many may not like it but the hardcore call it the choice of the best of the best.

I never liked it until what gtP did. Now I'm hooked.

the hardcore wear special gloves and pay 300 dollars for custom made joysticks when they play third strike or mvc2.

isamu

OMFG HOLY MOTHER OF MARY IN HEAVEN I CANT BELIEVE IT WTF WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES AAAAHHH
Label said:

hood cam for life.

Couldn't have said it better.

Hi Che. Is it at all possible that there is a sliver of chance Forza 3 will come out for Windows? I would love to be able to play it using a real FFB wheel and pedals :D Cross platform play between PC and 360 owners would be a huge blessing as well :)

Chrange

Banned
SSM25 said:
It's weird people minimize the importance of the cockpit view in a simulator......

I really hope this feature is included this time.

Not really any more strange than people minimizing the importance of damage and physics. :lol

This may seem like a minor request but given the customization emphasis now inherent in the Forza franchise with liveries and such, I'd like to see an option to allow gamers to design their own custom license plates.

Incorporate all of the state, provincial and national license plate designs from any market where Forza is sold, let people pick there's out and go online with them.

If this is set up so it's intuitive and simple, I can see it being a welcome addition.

Top Bottom