• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forza 3: First official glimpse

adelante

BenjaminBirdie said:
No kidding. It's the only game with this kind of customization that I ever really delved into.
Damn straight... I probably spent more time in the livery editor than I did with the rest of the game (although that's not saying much since I wasnt really into sim racing games to begin with but the editor did push me over to go and actually buy it)

50s6fr.jpg

As far as cockpit view's concerned, I'd like to think that if the developer goes as far as modelling the interiors, it pretty much guarantees high fidelity car models that will look great upclose (esp in replay cam)...sometimes I think that turn10 only made the cars to only look good from a certain distance (I guess sometimes I'm crazy too)

Label said:
Personally I am not sure why everybody loves cockpit view, I find it totally unplayable and its nothing like driving a real car. When driving a car you dont just see half of the view out of the windscreen, totally ruins your spatial awareness. But maybe thats just me.

hood cam for life.

Did anybody here ever try that whole 3+ screen super setup? I'd really dig a cockpit view doing all of that, but there is no way I could ever justify the cost unless I was just stupid rich.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
Darth Tigris said:
Did anybody here ever try that whole 3+ screen super setup? I'd really dig a cockpit view doing all of that, but there is no way I could ever justify the cost unless I was just stupid rich.

that is seriously fucking bad ass. maybe one day i can buy some semi cheap small lcd tvs to add to my racing seat set up.... and of course buy 2 more 360's and 2 more copies of the game...

:/

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
It still blows my mind these were created with shapes. I just can't believe it.

edit: It's going to have cockpit view. Just like Halo 3 wasn't going to have coop.

arne

Darth Tigris said:

i did, when I worked GDC and when I used to visit Turn 10 in my other life. it really spoils you.

KillJade

Banned
Fallout-NL said:
No, they're not. Never felt so out of touch with a car as in the GT series.

Come now. I'm a HUGE Forza fan and I seriously can't wait for the 3rd but if I had a choice of only playing one series, the pick would be pretty easy.:D

KillJade

Banned
Y2Kev said:
It still blows my mind these were created with shapes. I just can't believe it.

edit: It's going to have cockpit view. Just like Halo 3 wasn't going to have coop.

I still refuse to believe it. It's too insane:lol

comrade

painey said:
for the love of christ, remove AI drivers, or make it so you cant unlock an achievement with an AI driver win during a cup. Makes endurance races a joke.
Couldn't you just opt not to use AI Drivers yourself? Why do you feel you need to regulate the way someone else plays it? Achievements are not a good answer.

I personally hate the endurance aspect but it's usually a good way to make money in these games. Being able to use an AI Driver is a good thing.

squatingyeti

non-sanctioned troll
SSM25 said:
It's weird people minimize the importance of the cockpit view in a simulator......
I really hope this feature is included this time.
Chrange said:
Not really any more strange than people minimizing the importance of damage and physics. :lol

and bingo was his name-o

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
god, the ferrari f355 arcade with 3 screens was awesome back in the day. totally immersive.

Flavius

SIP YEK NOD said:
I've done two screens. the novelty wears off quick.

Two screens seems more annoying than anything else (unless you could use it like a rear view mirror, I suppose). If it were me, I'm pretty sure I'd keep looking for that third screen that isn't there, and eventually, just getting pissed and taking the whole damn thing apart.

I have done a real view (or) replay camera setup with forza 1 but if was odd, I had to use my pc tv card for the 2nd screen so non matching images = fail.

You got to have 3 screens or 1.

I did 2 screens split(middle and left), one forward/one rearview mounted above, and one forward/one replay cam mounted above.

Really, even with 3 screens, all you would ever look at is the middle screen. Also without even a bit of a dashboard view, the effect is somewhat lost.

Also, with 2 boxes, loading is absolutely painful. with 3 i would expect much of the same.

AMUSIX

On features:
-Give me more tracks or environments or whatever you want to call them...essentially, if I take a globe and stick pins in every location that exists in Forza 3, I want to be hitting dozens of them.
-Livery editor...allow us to work on PC...even if it's the same editor. I did some things, but what held me back wasn't the shapes, it was the cumbersome controller interface. Give me mouse controls at my PC and let me bounce them back to the system.
-Make me feel like I'm racing for a team or in a season or whatever. As it is, GT, SegaGT, and Forza all feel like a collection of unrelated races. There's no real feeling of progression.

On in-cockpit view:
-Top of the steering wheel, the dash, and the windscreen. That is what I see in real life, that is what I want to see in the game...no need to do any more than that. Anyone claiming that a full cockpit is more realistic doesn't pay attention, and certainly has never been on a track before.

If you really want to go above and beyond, model the dials and the rest of the dash, but do NOT put it in view, make me use the right stick to look down at it....which sparks another feature request...
-right stick look has to be FAST or its useless

Blame!

so lets see, a modern racing game has:cockpit mode, online MP, livery editor, and damage.

i feel like all these features have been around for the past 4 or 5 years....what do we really need to push the genre?

Brashnir

Blame! said:
so lets see, a modern racing game has:cockpit mode, online MP, livery editor, and damage.

i feel like all these features have been around for the past 4 or 5 years....what do we really need to push the genre?

steam locomotives.

p3tran

Banned
Darth Tigris said:

Yeah, I have tried it many times, I just cant find the time to set it up permanently.
Hood view though, not cockpit.

now about Forza3...

- I'd like more details in the upgrade/modification menus, and if the modifications in the game where more related to their real life parts, that would be great.
I understand that detailed modifications per engine is a lot to ask, but I always want more from Forza.
the good thing is that all the data exists. the bad thing is that it needs time and careful implementation.

- Supplementary stuff like dynos that help finetune your car & mods, but this is a supplement to previous.

- 0-400m and 0-1000m need to be there, complete with detailed leaderboards and classes.

- more detail and ability to start somekind of league with complete and detailed specs. these of course must be visible both through the game and fm.net, and somehow automated.

- also, the leaderboards could expand and keep roster of specific cars times, not only per class.
per class leaderboards are great, but usually after a while the incentive is lost to finetune your favorite car, since it can never be competitive to (insert name of muscle car here).
But with per car leaerboards, there is always the incentive to build the fastest gti or the fastest 911 or whatever.

- all menus in the game should be worked some more, 'cause people will be using them for years! (convenient shortcuts for jumping from one place to another also)

- finally, there must be a way to bring into forza3 designs and money from forza2.

I would really prefer that Forza 3 would come day1 with microsoft's next console, so that much more computational power would be available for turn10 to muster
BUT, I can never complain for a new forza game.

Via Kotaku

http://www.911wheel.de/?q=node/1939

Submitted by Thomas on Wed, 05/13/2009 - 23:47.

We just started the pre-production of the 911 Turbo S wheel.

It took a little bit longer than expected but Microsoft wanted us to support a new feature for Forza 2.

The wheel will be shown at the E3 on June 2nd in Los Angeles and we
will also send the first units to customers and testers soon.

We made it possible to fully flash the electronics
so we can add new features or solve bugs if there were some we did
not find yet.

Forza 2 has to be typo. I guess he is talking about Forza 3.

Mindlog

Is Forza getting Flow
TrackIR
support?

neat

However, this feature will raise my in-cockpit camera interest from 'ambivalent' to 'desired.'

Mindlog said:
Is Forza getting Flow
TrackIR
support?

neat

However, this feature will raise my in-cockpit camera interest from 'ambivalent' to 'desired.'

Wow, what if they really are going to use that camera for headtracking inside the cockpit. Holy shit that would be awesome

If there is a new improved wheel coming out for the 360 i'm glad I passed on the original model, 4 or 5 times I stood in a shop and decided to leave it... for now.

burnfout said:
I still only have like 60 gamerscore in Forza 2, I should play more of this game :(
I seem to have lost my CE copy at christmas :/ certan I packed it before I moved out but I guess not. NP though already had full achievements on my old profile and 800gamerscore on my new

burnfout said:
I still only have like 60 gamerscore in Forza 2, I should play more of this game :(
I'm at 970/1,000 since I hate playing racing games online. :D

I'm starting to get hyped, I hope they shoot for a fall release. (Again, which will likely get pushed back to May 2010. :lol )

ElNino

Diablohead said:
If there is a new improved wheel coming out for the 360 i'm glad I passed on the original model, 4 or 5 times I stood in a shop and decided to leave it... for now.
I doubt that MS will make another "official" wheel, but these Fanatec wheels look awesome. Unfortunately, they are expensive and not very many will be produced.

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
About the Fanatec wheel... I hope there's a regular production model, I don't think I'll be able to get the limited edition one in time. That, and I like the looks of the 911 GT3 wheel better...

Cheeto

Custom Liveries were awesome. Spent so much time screwing around with that, also an easy way to make money in the game.
5ec360b2-621f-4148-b174-cb09262980e.jpg

f6a2e968-7959-40d4-ba5b-c5cc928ee22.jpg

Top Bottom