• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forza 3: First official glimpse

Death to the bottom of the page

mujun said:
not everyone who played a shit load of forza 2 and loved it wants an authentic simulation.

i loved forza 2 for the fact i could make it as simmish or arcadey as i wanted. had i been forced to play it more realistically i would never have spent so much time on it.

i hope they stick with that philosophy in forza 3 and once again ill be playing exclusively using the bonnet view.

Uh, there wasn't anything in there about forcing people to only play in cockpit. If you don't like it, or want to play a more arcade style, cool. Whatever floats your boat.

It's about the option of being able to do it in, what is for all intensive purposes, a fairly hardcore racing sim.

Now I know seeing the complete dashboard is lame and unrealistic, and the production requirements to do that are insane.

But what about at least a representation of the field of view for that particular car with the very top of the steering wheel/gauges for perspective?

This wouldn't require rendering the whole interior, but it would still allow the representation of the field of view for that particular car, taking into account the angle of the windshield, placement of the pillars and so on. This does impact how you drive the car and in any honest simulation (particularly one like Forza that takes physics to the level that it does) should be included IMHO.

Len Dontree

Animator. Respect knuckles.
AndersTheSwede said:
It's about the option of being able to do it in, what is for all intensive purposes, a fairly hardcore racing sim.

Yes yes, these porpoises are most intensive, but I could care less. You would of known if their weary of you.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
based on che's comments, i'm not expecting cockpits. hopefully i'll be pleasantly surprised though ;)

mujun

AndersTheSwede said:
Death to the bottom of the page

Uh, there wasn't anything in there about forcing people to only play in cockpit. If you don't like it, or want to play a more arcade style, cool. Whatever floats your boat.

Now I know seeing the complete dashboard is lame and unrealistic, and the production requirements to do that are insane.

But what about at least a representation of the field of view for that particular car with the very top of the steering wheel/gauges for perspective?

This wouldn't require rendering the whole interior, but it would still allow the representation of the field of view for that particular car, taking into account the angle of the windshield, placement of the pillars and so on. This does impact how you drive the car and in any honest simulation (particularly one like Forza that takes physics to the level that it does) should be included IMHO.

you made it sound in the post i originally quoted that there was little point in any view except cockpit because the game is attempting to realistically simulate something that is what i couldnt agree with.

sure both options should be there (or as many as possible) but i get the feeling that dev time wise cockpit views are a big task and given the choice between a timely release and cockpit views id be happy for them to ditch cockpit views.

chespace said:
I agree, it's important to keep up appearances for marketing purposes. Which is why it boggles my mind GT can get away for so long without damage, visual customization, and a great online experience. Is it purely on the strength of its graphics alone?

GT driving/physics are more realistic as well

op_ivy

Andronicus said:
From driving some of the cars that appear in both series around tracks i'd say my point is justified.

i disagree.
the ugh was from the GT comparisons. it was a clear troll. this IS a forza thread, i dont think people care what your opinion is regarding which handles better in here. Thank you.

Flavius

Andronicus said:
From driving some of the cars that appear in both series around tracks i'd say my point is justified.

Like a fart in the night. I smelled the truth. You are that truth, Andronicus.

Your are THE ONE, and unlike all the others, your opinion is THE RIGHT ONE.

Praise be. Hail Yoda. E Pluribus Unum.

Blame!

mujun said:
not everyone who played a shit load of forza 2 and loved it wants an authentic simulation.

i loved forza 2 for the fact i could make it as simmish or arcadey as i wanted. had i been forced to play it more realistically i would never have spent so much time on it.

i hope they stick with that philosophy in forza 3 and once again ill be playing exclusively using the bonnet view.

this x 234091035

i wish all "sims" could take this approach actualy...

Ranger X

The only thing I hate with people is the following:

In some arcade racer thread, it's all good. People like that. Now when there's a racing game, once in 5 years, that STARTS TO HINT AT simulation you suddendly get TONS of people whining.

Are you against diversity? Can't we have nice things too? Can I have ONE god damned sim racer while you fucking get 349087 arcade racers? Is that too much to ask of you to shut the fuck up for once?

It truly hope Forza 3 won't go the casual/arcade road. There's already a truckload of those out there, go play them.

Zhuk

Banned
Ranger X said:

In some arcade racer thread, it's all good. People like that. Now when there's a racing game, once in 5 years, that STARTS TO HINT AT simulation you suddendly get TONS of people whining.

Are you against diversity? Can't we have nice things too? Can I have ONE god damned sim racer while you fucking get 349087 arcade racers? Is that too much to ask of you to shut the fuck up for once?

It truly hope Forza 3 won't go the casual/arcade road. There's already a truckload of those out there, go play them.

amen, Forza should remain the benchmark for console simulation and for tuning/mod fans that it is, arcade racers have their titles.

ElyrionX

They need to do something about the shitty blatant-ripoff-of-Gran-Turismo career mode in Forza 2. I think something along the lines of GRID would be nice where the racing team aspect is the focus.

itxaka

Defeatist
Blame! said:
this x 234091035

i wish all "sims" could take this approach actualy...

Seconded.

Sometimes i just want to play a quick race for fun, without taking anything into consideration, and other times I want to play a 50 lap course with hard difficulty and simulation.

Forza 2 shows that you can cater to both audiences. I want them to keep doing that.

Sleeker

I hope they go with some different tracks this time.
There are some that appear in a number of racers (Nurburgring for example even though its a good track) and I get bored of racing them over multiple games.

JayDub

AranhaHunter said:
You start off being nice, and then you say I'm smoking crack. What I was trying to say is that this game is easily a 90+ game, but many reviewers saw the need to trash it for no reason.

Sorry for that, I just don't understand what you mean by saying that GT4 is underrated. Its neither underrated or overrated, its simply one of the best damn racing games ever made.

mujun

Ranger X said:

i hope you arent referring to my post?

was forza 2 simmy enough for you? i basically would be totally happy with forza 2 x 1.5. i just need more tracks, gfx upgrade and some other stuff improved on an actually i wont be just totally happy ill be totally stoked to play forza 3.

i dont want them to make it more or less simmy than 2, i want it to allow ppl like me who arent so hardcore to enjoy it too.

The balance between sim and not so sim was great. But it was really butt clenching to see people were flocking to Forza 2 because of it's livery editor. Don't get me wrong, it's great. But what's more important in a racing game? Having a cockpit view or being able to draw some anime shit on your bonnet. I could even go without an extensive tuning mode if it meant that a cockpit view could be implemented.

mujun

PjotrStroganov said:
The balance between sim and not so sim was great. But it was really butt clenching to see people were flocking to Forza 2 because of it's livery editor. Don't get me wrong, it's great. But what's more important in a racing game? Having a cockpit view or being able to draw some anime shit on your bonnet. I could even go without an extensive tuning mode if it meant that a cockpit view could be implemented.

doesnt the modelling of cockpits require ridiculous amounts of manpower?

games are going to be easier to make for less money when the tech to easily scan 3d objects and have that automatically rendered in a computer becomes possible.

Haunted

OuterWorldVoice said:
But it's the least realistic. Otherwise I don't want to drive with you. When I am driving a car, be it my commuter blob, or a race car (I've driven Cart, Formula First and Formula Ford, as well as various non-Homologated cars) I don't look at the cockpit ever, except a snap glance at revs or speed. Having that stuff take up screen real estate, when my brain deletes it for safety in a real car, seems counterintuitive.

It makes sense in train or flight sims, where the instruments are the job at hand. But in a car? It's crazy.
On the other hand, cockpit view manages to be more immersive because you're actually inside the car, looking at the track/world outside through the windshield.

That alone's reason enough I can never get into bonnet cam - I am not sitting on the hood. :mad:

Rad Agast

PjotrStroganov said:

You're missing the point. What the livery editor and car tuning options did was add a nice trading system between the community. You might be crap at doing art work but real good at tuning cars or vice versa. It worked well in Forza 2 and I hope they improve it for 3.

Haunted

PjotrStroganov said:
Let's not kid ourselves - if Forza 3 doesn't have cockpit views, it's clearly because of a conscious design decision and not because porting the fucking livery editor from Forza 2 to 3 required so much work they couldn't possibly have implemented cockpits.

Although that would be one decision I strongly disagree with and would be disappointed in.

TwiztidElf

((sigh))
Every g****n m**********n time Forza comes up, and the whole cockpit issue comes up I get so g****n m**********n angry.

When I'm driving in my pos car down the street, can I see the gearstick, the dash and the rest of the cr@p inside my car? NO! Because I'm focused on the sh!t that's going on out the front of my windscreen (my field of vision). Strangely enough, the same views that Forza offers. Cockpit<>Realism.

-viper-

Banned
Len Dontree said:
I'd love to see a rally mode for Forza 3. GT took the "suggested racing line" idea, Forza can take the rally mode idea.
It wasn't like Forza 2 invented the racing line aid. F1 Championship had it as well.

vanty

I don't think many people are asking for really great looking, detailed cockpits. Just a view with some A pillar, top of dash and steering wheel, rearview mirror, and something that gives the impression of a windscreen. So it seems like you're in the car but doesn't take a ridiculous amount of time for the developers to model for hundreds and hundreds of cars.

Forza 1 had the racing line by the way if that F1 game came out afterwards, it wasn't something that only started with FM2.

Saiyu

For Chrissakes I can't believe there's an argument for not including a cockpit view in the premier "sim" racing game for the 360....

Oh and personally I feel the driving model needs to be overhauled in the same manner as the GT4 to GT5:p transition - I always got the feeling in Forza I was gliding around instead of driving, and the different drivetrains felt nothing like their respective realistic counterparts (the RWD cars anyone?)

Don't forget about the collisions either, it made close racing ridiculous at times as one tap could send you 180 as if the car suddenly lost all mass.

I'm still looking forward to it, obviously :D

op_ivy

i was thinking about several features i'd love to see in F3 last night.

test area. how about a large driving space just to fuck around in the cars? have bits of this massive area be covered in different surface types (water, gravel, or differing asphalt types). parts of this area could be set up for various test tracks, quarter mile, slalom, braking, etc with maybe a spot you park at in front of each location to load that specific "event" instantly. open this up as a lobby too, so you could screw around or compete with your friends.

race analysis. forza has always strived to have an ai presence in their game. they have had ghost drivers that try to mimic your ability, why not take this ai a bit further and have it offer both general, and race specific advice following each race? i envision a race analysis mode where the previous race track (simple diagram) is shown with your best lap's racing line over laid. you could hit "play" to watch your progress as a marker moving around the course in real time. relevant data would be shown (ex. speed, % traction), and left and right triggers could be used to rewind or speed up the playback, with the analog used to control rate of playback. the aforementioned ai would offer suggestions whether they are generic tips that it picked up on, like applying the accelerator to forcefully coming out of corners, or specific to the tracks turns, like approach turn 7 from the far outside.

tuning analysis. along the same lines as above, have this ai also make suggestions for tuning based on your driving characteristics. i love that i can tune in forza, but honestly, i'm shit at it even though i think i'm very competent at the racing. it would be nice for people that arent necessarily gear heads to be able to get suggestions specific to there driving habits to get better performance out of their cars.

also, a bit of a tangent, but what was said about the career mode is sooo true. stop trying to copy cat the way GT handles progression. it doesnt work for them, there is no reason to try to mimic it. surely there are better ways to advance through a career mode. i like the idea of sponsorships and team racing, but am not familiar enough with GRID to make direct comparisons.

AndresON777

shooting blanks
Saiyu said:
For Chrissakes I can't believe there's an argument for not including a cockpit view in the premier "sim" racing game for the 360....

360 can't handle it. It'll probably blow up

hgplayer1

Musashi Wins! said:
I don't really care at all about cockpit view beyond the occasional novelty, but hot damn, the tracks better bring it this time. More and moar.

this.

better replay cameras and overall replay feature

more tracks. much more.

if they do put in cockpit mode and take out something else Ill be pissed. if they dont give us better replays Ill be even more pissed.

if we dont get every track that is available in forza 2 plus many new ones Ill be pissed.

otherwise Forza has my money already.

-viper- said:
It wasn't like Forza 2 invented the racing line aid. F1 Championship had it as well.

You're right. Forza 2 didn't invent the racing line aid.

Forza 1 did. Ever since then it's been copied by game after game.

mujun

Saiyu said:

there arent any arguments from a fans perspective. from a devs perspective though you can bet there is. resource and time limits and all that.

Flavius

mujun said:
there arent any arguments from a fans perspective. from a devs perspective though you can bet there is. resource and time limits and all that.

The silliness comes in when the fans play dev apologists or wannabe devs.

jet1911

op_ivy said:
i was thinking about several features i'd love to see in F3 last night.

test area. how about a large driving space just to fuck around in the cars? have bits of this massive area be covered in different surface types (water, gravel, or differing asphalt types). parts of this area could be set up for various test tracks, quarter mile, slalom, braking, etc with maybe a spot you park at in front of each location to load that specific "event" instantly. open this up as a lobby too, so you could screw around or compete with your friends.

Good idea.

whitehawk

Banned
forza3.jpg

Weather and cockpit view are the two things I really want to see make it into FM3... but if they don't include cockpit view that isn't a dealbreaker, it's just a tad frustrating.

Flavius

Elfforkusu said:
Weather and cockpit view are the two things I really want to see make it into FM3... but if they don't include cockpit view that isn't a dealbreaker, it's just a tad frustrating.

Sadly, I'm sure a lot of folks here needed to see your reply to understand what many of us "pro-cockpit-cam" folks have been saying all along.

Also sad that Che ran away from the thread like a little girl, but I digress.

harSon

Banned
Ranger X said:
where's that shit coming from? Some dude typing a doc and took pictures?

It's from a website leak a while back, it's probably accurate considering a lot of the other things leaked (Lips, 1vs100, Avatars, etc.) have all been near identical to what was described on that site.

I think when the game comes out I should revive that tournament I was trying to do with F2, hardly anyone entered though so it never happened.

MrTroubleMaker said:
I'm hoping for a cockpit view
I'm thinking that they have added a cockpit but not to the extent we know from PGR, GT5 and GRID etc, i'm going to say it's more of a luxury hood cam :D

Top Bottom