• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forza Horizon 2 $36.99 on Amazon. It's a great racing game at a great price! Buy it.

bishoptl

Banstick Emeritus
If you're junior status isn't the ban permanent?
Only if it's a real junior, ie. someone who hasn't been knocked down a peg due to tomfoolery.

Look, you want to make a thread title proclaiming "best in the land", we'll may let it skate unless we see a potential derail in the making. Doubling, tripling and quadrupling down (you do know I can read your edited posts, right?) just escalates the issue, and sprinkling some backseat modding into the mix plus a suspect post history means bitter recrimination pancakes with bloodshed syrup served up on a plate of hot justice.

On an unrelated note, I played FH2 for 3 hours Friday afternoon and enjoyed it thoroughly.** Happy holidays!

is this the gaming side equivalent of "I have a black friend"?

ironcreed

Banned
Im currently playing FH2, Im liking but Im just going from tournament to tournament, I dont feel like they've taken advantage of the open world, I see a couple of things you can do like XP billboards and such, hopefully more is there.

It's gorgeous and the gameplay is second to none for me, but this is the one thing I kind of agree with. I am currently playing The Crew, which brings this to light rather well. The game is just packed and massive. But Horizon definitely wins in terms of visuals, gameplay and soundtrack.

Bgamer90

Banned
That thread is for discussing said opinion, if OP's purpose for the thread was to discuss why FH2 is better than any other racing game released this year then that should have been the thread topic instead of a price thread. Either OP wanted to derail his own thread or he should have been fine with the thread title change.

I simply saw the title as him saying "Jump on this deal if you don't have the game already... It's the best racing game this year" (in his opinion).

Don't see why it was so controversial. Would it be viewed the same if the game was a multiplat instead of a console brand exclusive? Don't really understand it.

Anyway, it's definitely worth $37. One of the best games this year.

Edit: I understand why he was banned but I don't understand the thread title change or him getting juniored (which then pushed him into doing things to be banned). Nothing wrong with the original thread title; people who would have derailed the thread after getting offended over a simple title should have been dealt with -- not the OP (in my opinion).

-Stranger-

It's my GOTY without a doubt.

It seems everyone is getting up tight about the op saying it's the best racer.
Everyone is on the Driveclub bandwagon due to pretty rain graphics not the actual driving gameplay.

Wedge7

He got banned for not letting it go. I was shaking my head as I read his replies in the thread, sometimes the best thing is to just stop talking. Oh well.

Compbros

Non of my business I guess..

Can posts stop being ended with "none of my business" if you've already given your opinion thus making it your business by add/joining the discussion? Not attacking you btw.

To address your post.

I like to think that OP just found out about an amazing deal for his favorite game, got excited and wanted to share with us.

An edit by the mods would have done.

The new thread title + the junioring... Don't know, not nice... Feels slightly bully-ish..

OP feels provoked, meltdown, ban...

5 mins after sharing a good deal with us.

That can easily be shown without basically saying "better than all other racers this year" especially since there's only be one (?) multiplat racer this year and it was a stinker.

Baptism by fire, if you're making titles/claims that are outlandish without needing to be then you may get a title edit or a new tag. Just how it goes.

This is a pure assumption but I gotta assume he had some sort of history considering this doesn't appear to be junior worthy. Maybe not topics he's made but posts, who knows.

As for the game is it worth jumping on this price to get the game now or can you wait? What's the online community like?

Hoje0308

Banned

D1H2nV1_thumb.gif

I simply saw the title as him saying "Jump on this deal if you don't have the game already... It's the best racing game this year" (in his opinion).

Don't see why it was so controversial. Would it be viewed the same if the game was a multiplat instead of a console brand exclusive? Don't really understand it.

If you don't see why it has thread derailing potential then I really don't know how it isn't obvious to you. OP had a chance to just go ahead with the thread title change and he likely would have lost the junior tag in a fairly short bit of time if it wasn't a perma junior. Instead he doubled down and asked for a ban.

And yes, thread derailing has certainly happened when this sort of stuff has happened with multiplat games. It's even more volatile when the obvious competition (MK and Driveclub) are console exclusives.

For example:

Everyone is on the Driveclub bandwagon due to pretty rain graphics not the actual driving gameplay.

lol already bringing out the console warriors.

PhatSaqs

Banned
Pretty much. I understand the dude getting banned for some of the dumb shit he said pertaining to mods but the thread title getting changed to what it it is now is probably what prompted said dumb shit in the first place. He basically got called a troll for an opinion....

Doukou

Only if it's a real junior, ie. someone who hasn't been knocked down a peg due to tomfoolery.

Look, you want to make a thread title proclaiming "best in the land", we'll may let it skate unless we see a potential derail in the making. Doubling, tripling and quadrupling down (you do know I can read your edited posts, right?) just escalates the issue, and sprinkling some backseat modding into the mix plus a suspect post history means bitter recrimination pancakes with bloodshed syrup served up on a plate of hot justice.

On an unrelated note, I played FH2 for 3 hours Friday afternoon and enjoyed it thoroughly.** Happy holidays!

I like pancakes.

Hoje0308

Banned
Pretty much. I understand the dude getting banned for some of the dumb shit he said pertaining to mods but the thread title getting changed to what it it is now is probably what prompted said dumb shit in the first place. He basically got called a troll for an opinion....

Bish's post at the top of the page leads me to believe the statements made regarding OP's post history are accurate and that is why the thread title was changed quite quickly. He most likely had an agenda and was looking for a fight, as evidenced by his actions which were tantamount to account suicide.

I like pancakes

hsdfh.gif

Surface of Me

I'm not an NPC. And neither are we.
Bish's post at the top of the page leads me to believe the statements made regarding OP's post history are accurate and that is why the thread title was changed quite quickly. He most likely had an agenda and was looking for a fight, as evidenced by his actions which were tantamount to account suicide.

I went through the first couple pages of his post history, and the claims are pretty unsubstantiated looking at that.

Bgamer90

Banned
If you don't see why it has thread derailing potential then I really don't know how it isn't obvious to you.

Any thread about an exclusive has thread derailing potential here (haha). I just saw it as simply being excited that there's a good deal on a good game and nothing more. Just my opinion/view though.

Hoje0308

Banned
I went through the first couple pages of his post history, and the claims are pretty unsubstantiated looking at that.

I don't disagree. I actually went through a couple more and nothing jumped out at me (besides the obvious nonsense from this thread). But, he's been a member for seven years and clearly has a bit of a temper. Maybe he gets worked up from time to time and gets himself in trouble.

Any thread about an exclusive has thread derailing potential here (haha). I just saw it as simply being excited that there's a good deal on a good game and nothing more. Just my opinion/view though.

Like already mentioned, if OP hadn't revealed his intention to start a fight along with his post history it wouldn't have turned out like this. Given his later posts it's fairly obvious what he was looking for. If you see no other intentions after those posts I don't know what to tell you.

TomShoe

Banned
I don't disagree. I actually went through a couple more and nothing jumped out at me (besides the obvious nonsense from this thread). But, he's been a member for seven years and clearly has a bit of a temper. Maybe he gets worked up from time to time and gets himself in trouble.

Racing game threads have a tendency to derail. Just go to the forum archive and look for the Gran Turismo 5 vs. Forza 3 thread.

Ploid 3.0

Forza vs X always seem to be a unstable bomb situation. Hopefully that will die down soon.

Good deal right before xmas. You can't even buy games as Christmas presents too early these days, prices drop too darn fast.

RyudBoy

Yea, that could've worked so much better, though I'd prefer more raw game play footage from the 1st person view instead of cinematic shots. Only get to see some brief 1st person stuff towards the end.

Remember watching that for the first time and getting goose pimples. Video team knocked it out of the park with that one.

What did you think of the official commercial? Be honest.

What did you think of the official commercial? Be honest.

I want to know if Helios is also allowed to disclose vague sales figures, as in did the game profit? I love the franchise and don't want the Horizon part of it to be in jeopardy. Is the series secure at least?

I want to know if Helios is also allowed to disclose vague sales figures, as in did the game profit? I love the franchise and don't want the Horizon part of it to be in jeopardy. Is the series secure at least?

I suspect he is not allowed to disclose sales figures.

Hopefully it did well and they are pleased with the game. Phil went to Playground recently and after that one of the leads was in Seattle (at the same time as the head of Rare...) so I think they're continuing the relationship with MS over something, whether its FH3 or something else

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
I think the OP's subsequent posts vindicated the junior status and title change, there was a clear bias there.

Back on topic: This is a great deal. I bought my XB1 second hand and found FH2 in the disc drive when I got it home, it's a fantastic game and I am not usually into racing games.

bishoptl

Banstick Emeritus

uh huh, sure

This is one of the few times I've ever pulled back the curtain to walk members through the process, but this has eaten up too many cycles already and the truthers need a wake up call. Here we go.

1 - OP creates thread. I sip my tea but let it go because I'm taking calls.
2 - Another member makes the obvious follow-up post, triggering the derail that was obvious to anyone with two synapses to rub together.
3 - Known warrior immediately goes full warrior...and you never go full warrior.
4 - Temp ban considered and discarded. Junior status bestowed and title adjusted to reflect.
5 - OP doubles down (and edits the post calling out moderation). Still no ban.
6 - OP, innocent as a newborn lamb, enquires about his junioring *after* editing his original post. Still no ban.
7 - OP gets mad! Still no ban.
8 - OP scales it back in his next post. This is good! WE CAN BUILD ON THIS
9 - OP claims the "hey, opinions!" card like it's a fresh and new argument. Being disingenuous when you already know you fucked up doesn't help your cause. Still no ban.
10 - OP finally says to hell with it, slathers himself in mustard and leaps buck naked into the Sarlacc Pit, throwing up the V sign on the way down. Temporary ban (even after all that) finally triggered.

Now if you want to keep arguing about it, feel free to shoot me a PM. I'll be nice, I promise.

Hoje0308

Banned
Your "shoot me a PM" statement should have linked to the policy page, apparently.

Crappy edit: And holy shit, I think this is the first time I've seen a thread about a deal turn into last-stand situation.

It's an imformative thread about a price, not which racer is the best of the year. It's why threads announcing a sale for PS4 at Wal-Mart for $329 don't put "for the best console on the market" in thread title.

Anyone know if there are any good post Christmas sales?

Does the DLC add a good amouny of content?
Its a decent sized chunk of new free roaming area, new weather effects, a few new off-road focused cars, new event types, off-road upgrades across the board (usable in mainland events), rally kit for some cars, and a bunch of events - not sure the actual number but its a lot.

Edit: found a nice summary:

IGN said:
Storm Island features 90 new events, including five brand new events: Rampage, Brawl, Extreme Cross Country, Cross Country Circuit, and Gauntlet.

The expansion also features new online content including four new multiplayer Playground arenas, 20 unique online race routes, six Gauntlet events, three new Showdown events, and five online championship events.

What would a Forza expansion be without new cars? Forza 2: Storm Island features five new rides including a 2013 Robby Gordon #7 Speed Energy Drink Stadium Super Truck, 2013 MINI X-Raid All4 Racing Countryman, 2014 Ford Ranger T6 RallyRaid, 1981 Ford Fiesta XR2, 1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4. There's also a new barn find car included in the expansion.

I bought VIP at launch and got it for $10 which required no thought whatsoever. At $20 the value proposition isn't quite as no-brainer, but if you can find Horizon 2 at a discount to get both the base game and the DLC for $60 (or less) I can't imagine anybody complaining.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
Its a decent sized chunk of new free roaming area, new weather effects, a few new off-road focused cars, new event types, off-road upgrades across the board (usable in mainland events), rally kit for some cars, and a bunch of events - not sure the actual number but its a lot.

I bought VIP and got it for $10 which required no thought whatsoever. At $20 the value proposition isn't quite as no-brainer, but if you can find it on discount to get both the base game and the DLC for $60 (or less) I can't see imagine anybody complaining.

What are the off road improvements that carry to the main game?

Top Bottom