• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forza Horizon 5 surpasses 1M players in Early Access (100 USD edition purchase or 40 USD pass for Game Pass subs)

Sygma

These are people who purchased the premium edition and the premium add-ons. Game Pass subscribers can't play it through their subscriptions yet. Insane for 4 whole days before release.

you can play through game pass as long as you buy the premium add ons. Source : did that 2 days ago and been playing since, game is finally a good contender to TDU 1

Fredrik

At the same time isn't this the first big first party exclusive game for the system that some have had for nearly a year. Not surprised that Xbox owners are thirsty.
Flight Sim was first but console exclusivity is likely not helping here, I would say it’s selling because it’s on PC too and because it’s one of the highest rated games of the year. If you check all platforms including PC it’s at #6 on Metacritic for 2021. Impressive!

UR5bEVJ.jpg

Edit: On Opencritic it’s actually #1 for 2021. Are they excluding all games that had a release earlier on some platforms?

Last edited:

Three

That's fucking awesome crazy numbers for so early but it's worth mentioning that saying these are sales in the title is incorrect. These are players. Somebody else (family/friends/alts) signing in to play/try a single copy counts as a player but not a sale.

cormack12

Gold Member
Funny I was thinking about this yesterday. I'm guessing gold, premium and ultimate purchases don't have a large uptake in most games. But Gamepass kind of turns that on it's head. You're already paying for your sub so it's a sunk cost. One that doesn't really register. So if you know FH5 is coming out in a week, and you see these premium bundles in the range of £20-£40 that give you more content, early access and bonuses - are people more likely to bite because it feels like you're getting more for less than the price of a standard retail?

I'm sure in a couple of years we'll look back at this and wonder if this was the start of that consumer behaviour.

Fredrik

That's fucking awesome crazy numbers for so early but it's worth mentioning that saying these are sales in the title is incorrect. These are players. Somebody else (family/friends/alts) signing in to play/try a single copy counts as a player but not a sale.
That’s what makes it impressive, there are people who has bought the game but still haven’t got the achievement or even started it, so this shows it’s nearly 800k actual players playing the game 🔥

Three

That’s what makes it impressive, there are people who has bought the game but still haven’t got the achievement or even started it, so this shows it’s nearly 800k actual players playing the game 🔥
Why would players be more impressive than sales? The count is not the amount of people who have the achievement. Its total players even if you dont score yet. I doubt many people pay for early access and don't make the most of it early but you're right that there are probably people who haven't fired it up either.

Anyway the number is still crazy impressive I'm only mentioning it because I've seen people in this thread and the original Twitter account in the OP doing things like

£85 x780,000

Or whatever to try and calculate revenue and that's a fool's logic. Number of players has never closely matched sales historically. Number of players in a leaderboard has almost always been much higher than actual sales figures.

Last edited:

reksveks

More interested in trying to gauge the natural search numbers for xbox game pass as a topic.

mjOFHOM.jpg

tiGrZHO.jpg

X0a09lq.jpg

U4umzen.jpg

Very hard to point to any meaningful correlation to XGS sub numbers but quite interesting that's it is getting back to the Xbox Series release time period globally.

Helghan

Funny I was thinking about this yesterday. I'm guessing gold, premium and ultimate purchases don't have a large uptake in most games. But Gamepass kind of turns that on it's head. You're already paying for your sub so it's a sunk cost. One that doesn't really register. So if you know FH5 is coming out in a week, and you see these premium bundles in the range of £20-£40 that give you more content, early access and bonuses - are people more likely to bite because it feels like you're getting more for less than the price of a standard retail?

I'm sure in a couple of years we'll look back at this and wonder if this was the start of that consumer behaviour.
It's what Microsoft has been saying since the beginning of Game Pass, people subscribing to Game Pass spend more money on those games. Probably why so many studios license their games to it.

hlm666

I'm sure it will do fine sales wise, but people read too much into player counts as there are too many other variables at play, it doesn't matter which game it is, or on what platform. Also I hear the game was cracked yesterday, so there are now pirates sailing the seas alongside, good luck indeed.
The cracked copies wont be using any of the online features for obvious reasons, nice jab trying to put the numbers down to pirates though.

phil_t98

#SonyToo
Why would players be more impressive than sales? The count is not the amount of people who have the achievement. Its total players even if you dont score yet. I doubt many people pay for early access and don't make the most of it early but you're right that there are probably people who haven't fired it up either.

Anyway the number is still crazy impressive I'm only mentioning it because I've seen people in this thread and the original Twitter account in the OP doing things like

£85 x780,000

Or whatever to try and calculate revenue and that's a fool's logic. Number of players has never closely matched sales historically. Number of players in a leaderboard has almost always been much higher than actual sales figures.
I would agree with your logic over time but this early on I would say it’s more inclined to be sales rather than mates swapping profiles

I wouldn't be surprised if FH5 out-performs Halo at the end of the day.

Seems to be Xbox's most accessible first-party title that isn't Minecraft.

Banjo64

cumsessed
I wouldn't be surprised if FH5 out-performs Halo at the end of the day.

Seems to be Xbox's most accessible first-party title that isn't Minecraft.
Halo’s multiplayer is F2P and they have battle passes. It’ll be hard to judge based on profit but I wouldn’t be surprised if Halo quickly racks up 30m+ ‘users’.

skneogaf

I used to buy the ultimate version and get the early access but as with Microsoft flight simulator I just use game pass and will buy it when it goes down to less than £20 for the ultimate edition.

On another note, it cant be understated how awesome it is for a game that you like to have a huge community! Coming from someone who still plays For Honor and RDR online, it sucks when the devs are only kinda supporting the game.

Larger player bases negate that kind of behavior (obviously)

Fredrik

£85 x780,000

Because sales just say people have bought it. I have 132 games on my Steam account I’ve never started. Somewhere in a sales graph that’s added up to a figure someone think is impressive. Surely it’s more interesting that people are actually playing it, and this many even before the real launch. Within a few days that player number will explode when the standard version unlocks on Xbox store, Steam, MS Store and Gamepass. Sales numbers will increase too but I don’t know if they’ll show that, maybe they’ll do it if they break some record.

Last edited:

Three

I would agree with your logic over time but this early on I would say it’s more inclined to be sales rather than mates swapping profiles
It's usually the oppisite. There is usually more sharing and checking it out when buzz is high. Near launch.

Anecdotally I have bought many games but they are all played by about 3 family members in the same household. Especially new games.

Usually when interest dies down for a game (a late bought game) the increase in sales more closely matches the increase in player count. Early on though you are more likely to show your friends and family who want to see what the new hype game is like before buying, especially if you paid a premium to get early access which others are less likely to do.

Last edited:

Three

Because sales just say people have bought it. I have 132 games on my Steam account I’ve never started. Somewhere in a sales graph that’s added up to a figure someone think is impressive. Surely it’s more interesting that people are actually playing it, and this many even before the real launch. Within a few days that player number will explode when the standard version unlocks on Xbox store, Steam, MS Store and Gamepass. Sales numbers will increase too buy I don’t know if they’ll show that, maybe they’ll do it if they break some record.
But in this case people are paying a huge premium to play early before release. Paying a huge premium to play early then not playing it I would say is low because it defeats the purpose. Some steam game bought in a sale which you then don't play is different.

Certinty

Can’t say it’s too surprising. I mean give a world class and GOTY contending game for “free” to players and of course they’ll be far more likely to buy the upgrade, especially when in some regions it’s not overly expensive and most people want the content especially future expansions anyway.

Neither of which factor into this.

AT MINIMUM people paid 45 plus thier subscription fee, at most they paid 100.00 for the game.

Instead of doing math you console war.
Dude take a step back, drink some water and see what you are typing.... You are happy because Microsoft is making more money and angry because someone else counter your point with more crazy talking points. Go play the game and be happy that the game is good but don't be so excited because a corporation made more money. This Corporate enthusiastic fetishism is not good for your health

Fredrik

But in this case people are paying a huge premium to play early before release. Paying a huge premium to play early then not playing it I would say is low because it defeats the purpose. Some steam game bought in a sale which you then don't play is different.
The early release is just one part of what’s included in the Premium Edition for FH5 and it’s just now the weekend is starting, can’t expect everyone who bought it to have started it yet, the player figures will keep increasing all the way up til the real launch on the 9th.

IDappa

Hmmm. So many different release dates. I thought it was November 9th. I thought you could play it today with Game Pass. So confusing. And asking for more money to play it early? Kind of messed up. There really only should be a single release date for a game, no matter what version. But that ship has sailed. For trying to be so inclusive, this game sure is exclusive.
I sprung for the early access because the past games are great just to kick back with. I didn't realise you get a couple car packs, car pass and the future 2 DLCs with it. So in all I've only paid for the expansions and not the base game with gamepass. Pretty good deal if you ask me.

Top Bottom