• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forza Horizon 5 surpasses 1M players in Early Access (100 USD edition purchase or 40 USD pass for Game Pass subs)

Uiki

A quick Reddit search of the pirates and they say you cannot play online currently with a cracked version.
Yeah, same thing happen with fh4.

Unless they got smart (spoiler: they don't) it will be the same in a couple of weeks.

Not that it really matters since it's way easier to get a legitimate gamepass copy for less than a buck this time.

Last edited:

chonga

Doesn’t surprise me. There’s way more hype for FH5 than the coverage would suggest. Every refinement Playground Games added to FH4 over the past three years made it into FH5. They earned a lot of fans by supporting FH4 so well, which was a great game out of the box already. Add to that a thin release calendar this fall and a Series X/S user base hungry for a new game.

I don’t see why it’s shocking that a casual arcade racing game can do this well. The genre has been around for literally 40 years.
I agree, I think people must be underestimating how popular racing games can be.

Forza and GT series titles have always moved huge numbers. These player counts are not wow'ing me at all. They're expected.

To further illustrate that if you start looking at other things you can compare like relative trophy/achievement tracker numbers you have more people with Forza Horizon 4 achievements than Rocket League achievements, and on the PlayStation side GT5 puts in higher numbers than Minecraft.

Surely this also includes all the reviewers and influences that were given a code? That's why number of players never gives a clear indication of sales nowadays.
WTtfK1J.png

Boss Mog

Psychonauts 2? Microsoft Flight Simulator? Both 9/10, amazing games. Both released this year.

How many big first party exclusive racing games we had on other platforms? Imagine the thirst.
I don't consider Psychonauts 2 to be AAA or Flight Sim to be an actual game and I say this as a Series X owner. I didn't mean anything by my comment but it was enough to trigger immature console warriors I see.

Goalus

I love when somebody randomly brings up a discussion point from a completely separate topic to another thread to try and catch a “aha!” moment.

Those threads really hurt you guys huh? Physical games are still being sold. They count. Just because Xbox doesn’t sell as much software doesn’t mean you all get to try and make it irrelevant. It’s going to be ok.

And LOL at players counts. Come on man.
Dismissing player counts while emphasizing the importance of boxed game sales.

I need to let that sink in for a minute (in case you're serious which I am not entirely sure about).

Last edited:

Fredrik

You say this as if you can't do it if you are paying for Gamepass. I've bought more games than any other generation due to being able to try them before buying.
I haven’t bought a single game for Xbox Series X this year 🤐 Still my main console.

But I assume Microsoft has done the math and the Gamepass money will reach the developers in some way or form instead.

I love when somebody randomly brings up a discussion point from a completely separate topic to another thread to try and catch a “aha!” moment.

Those threads really hurt you guys huh? Physical games are still being sold. They count. Just because Xbox doesn’t sell as much software doesn’t mean you all get to try and make it irrelevant. It’s going to be ok.

And LOL at players counts. Come on man.
They don’t hurt, they are just fucking stupid - a low point, even by console warrior standards :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Chukhopops

I don't consider Psychonauts 2 to be AAA or Flight Sim to be an actual game and I say this as a Series X owner. I didn't mean anything by my comment but it was enough to trigger immature console warriors I see.
Astrobot is very much AAA unless you don't consider Nintendo platformers AAA, because Astrobot is on par with them.
Once you use made up logic everything makes sense!

Dane

Who would guess that people would buy a good game even if its on gamepass? FH4 is always at the top 10 Xbox NPD sales monthly.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
The new argument is now pirates are the only ones playing xbox games?

Gamepass subscribers don't buy games yet forza and age of empires iv are number one in the steam charts and over 800k people are playing forza when you have to be a paid customer to play it right now....

"It's pirates and reviewers with free codes, I tell you!..."

Haha amazing.

Boss Mog

Once you use made up logic everything makes sense!
I consider AstroBot AAA but not Psychonauts 2, to each their own interpretation of what AAA means. And I don't consider it a major 1st party exclusive akin to Forza, Gears, Halo, etc... Just like I don't consider Kena AAA or a major 1st party exclusive akin to Uncharted, God of War, GT, Horizon, etc... It doesn't mean I think they're bad games (Psychonauts 2 and Kena) just that they don't meet my definition of AAA.

Jaybe

Gold Member
I see the premium pass includes add-ons and DLC expansions. Is there a reason MS doesn’t make first party DLC free for Game Pass subscribers? They position it as the Netflix of gaming, but Netflix doesn’t charge me extra for the Black Mirror Christmas special (which Jon Hamm is great in it btw).

Last edited:

DaGwaphics

I see the premium pass includes add-ons and DLC expansions. Is there a reason MS doesn’t make first party DLC free for Game Pass subscribers? They position it as the Netflix of gaming, but Netflix doesn’t charge me extra for the Black Mirror Christmas special (which Jon Hamm is great in it btw).

Serious question? I think we all know the answer to that already. Many on the board should really appreciate this because they are always super "concerned" about Xbox financials.

Make It Rain Money GIF

In fairness, they do include some DLC, Hivebusters for example.

Last edited:
I consider AstroBot AAA but not Psychonauts 2, to each their own interpretation of what AAA means. And I don't consider it a major 1st party exclusive akin to Forza, Gears, Halo, etc... Just like I don't consider Kena AAA or a major 1st party exclusive akin to Uncharted, God of War, GT, Horizon, etc... It doesn't mean I think they're bad games (Psychonauts 2 and Kena) just that they don't meet my definition of AAA.
Might curious to know what your definition of AAA is?

Stuart360

MTX and dlc isnt usually included on Gamepass, for obvious reasons. Its partly the reason EA couldnt wait to get on EA Play on Gamepass.

Fredrik

How is that comparable to Psychonauts 2? Kena is developed and published by Ember Lab, there is nothing 1st party about it, major or minor.

Fredrik

Shows how much of a joke metacritic is.
In what way? It’s an average score from all scores from critics. You can filter out PC if that’s what you’re getting at. Or go with Opencritics which seem to filter out games that released somewhere earlier, then FH5 is #1 for 2021 🔥

what the fuck does this have to do with TLOU2? What does this have to do with PS Plus revenue?

Seriously, like what the fuck.. Are people really, really that serious about this console war shit? How is that stuff even remotely relevant to this thread? Man started telling us about TLOU2 and PS Plus revenue. Isn't that in direct violation of the stickied thread the mods put up? Like a lot of people seem to be outright ignoring it or something.

Evil Calvin

Afraid of Boobs
Well that's at LEAST $40 million so far. That's 850k early adopters at $45. Not including the $100 version. Good for MS and Playground Games

How many people just subscribed to GP for this too? That's a whole other large chunk of change.

Last edited:

K' Dash

I bought the premium edition but my friend paid $55 for the premium add ons? why does it say $40 in the title?

I wish I knew about the premium add ons, I would've bought that instead.

Last edited:

elliot5

I bought the premium edition but my friend paid $55 for the premium add ons? why does it say $40 in the title?

I wish I knew about the premium add ons, I would've bought that instead.
its $45 with game pass due to the 10% discount. title is off anyway

MacReady13

You say this as if you can't do it if you are paying for Gamepass. I've bought more games than any other generation due to being able to try them before buying.
It's funny you say that as when I had a 360 and PS3 I also purchased more games than I ever did in my life... I had DEMOS of games. They cost me quite literally nothing and I got a great taste of what was to come, hence why I purchased so many games during that (last great) generation.

dem

That’s a crazy number..
I can’t believe people are out there buying Game Pass games

oldergamer

I can't speak for kena, but I call total bullshit on that statement. Astrobot being AAA & Psychonaughts isn't? That wins for dumbest statement of the year man. sounds like you clearly haven't played either games if you are claiming that junk.

Last edited:

rofif

Banned
Are you forced to buy them? Can you win the same cars or buy them and tune them better?

Fuck trying to make a mountain out of a molehill.

Save your energy for an actual problem.
I don't know. I played some 3 and 4 and there were car packs and single cars were taking a lot of menu space.
It was confusing which cars I can buy in-game, which not, which I can win and which are part of which pack.
There are 3 editions of Forza 5 so far. cheapest one is 65 euro and most expensive one on xbox app on pc is 100 euro.

That's all fair but why is microsoft getting a pass? Anyone else does editions, packs and pre-orders and someone calls them out.
I don't really care for this topic as I will play it in gamepass and probably don't like it anyway. 3 was way too obnoxious with "your festival" bs all the time. 4 was just confusing with all the race types, what is part of campaign and what not... It was annoying to me why can't I always change cars, what cars do I have and what races do I go next. They tamed down the festival stuff a bit though.

People are defending Forza like their life depends on it. why is that ? The game is not even that good. Maybe this one will be, I will see.
Am I missing something magical about this series? 4 LOOKED TO ME as an mtx hole but I've not played it more than few hours.
Even if I can unlock all the cars myself... it looked to be artificially long time compared to just buying the cars.

btw - BACK ON TOPIC, SORRY GUYS.
I find it hard to believe so many people are playing the game early. It's a huge number for a game that is essentially free on gamepass in a few days. I don't believe this

edit: I am just free talking here guys. Don't stress over it. It's not some serious go hard rant. The game is fine.

Last edited:

ANDS

King of Gaslighting
Wow. Was hovering below 400K when I signed off last night after putting a few hours into the game.

Wow. Over 700K already is pretty nuts to think about since that's a $100 barrier to entry for most everyone.

Once that full release hits, it's going to skyrocket.

Also, I really hope their servers can handle it. I already had a hell of a time accessing the Forza site earlier to check out some in-game photos I took.

Wasn't really affecting my solo play, but I was constantly getting DC's. . .even pretty late at night.

Stuart360

I don't know. I played some 3 and 4 and there were car packs and single cars were taking a lot of menu space.
It was confusing which cars I can buy in-game, which not, which I can win and which are part of which pack.
There are 3 editions of Forza 5 so far. cheapest one is 65 euro and most expensive one on xbox app on pc is 100 euro.

That's all fair but why is microsoft getting a pass? Anyone else does editions, packs and pre-orders and someone calls them out.
I don't really care for this topic as I will play it in gamepass and probably don't like it anyway. 3 was way too obnoxious with "your festival" bs all the time. 4 was just confusing with all the race types, what is part of campaign and what not... It was annoying to me why can't I always change cars, what cars do I have and what races do I go next. They tamed down the festival stuff a bit though.

People are defending Forza like their life depends on it. why is that ? The game is not even that good. Maybe this one will be, I will see.
Am I missing something magical about this series? 4 LOOKED TO ME as an mtx hole but I've not played it more than few hours.
Even if I can unlock all the cars myself... it looked to be artificially long time compared to just buying the cars.

btw - BACK ON TOPIC, SORRY GUYS.
I find it hard to believe so many people are playing the game early. It's a huge number for a game that is essentially free on gamepass in a few days. I don't believe this

edit: I am just free talking here guys. Don't stress over it. It's not some serious go hard rant. The game is fine.
All your posts come accross super salty dude. Just let it go.

Fredrik

The game is not even that good.
Forza Horizon 4 was the highest rated racing game on console (and PC) in two generations, you had to go back to 2004 on Xbox/PS2 to find a console racer with a higher score.
FH3 to FH5 has gone from 91 to 92 to 91 on metacritic. Check other racing IPs, it’s a rare thing. FH5 currently sits at #6 for 2021 for all platforms and genres including rereleases and #1 for 2021 for new releases.
People love it. Critics love it.

”The game is not even that good.”
🤔

Last edited:
Top Bottom