• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forza Motorsport 5 at gamescom - Spa confirmed

SatansReverence

Hipster Princess
You will never get an answer on such questions from PR representatives because they either don't know a shit or are not allowed to. Keep that in mind.

I understand PR reps wouldn't know anything but you need not be a PR rep yet still having something to do with Public Rrelations.

Dan or Helios could have easily said Laguna Seca featured in the gamescom demo had yet to receive any sort of meaningful laser scanning love but instead we're left with a sour taste in our mouths after being told all tracks are laser scanned and accurate to within 6mm even though it's the long out of date version of laguna seca.

G Rom

this is the kind of crap i hate the most, and in my opnion it was the same with the porsche pack for forza 4, it should have been bloody free

I'd say it's a bit different because the cars were actually worked on for the PEP. Models and sounds were improved (vastly in some cases) and there were new models all together as well.
For Horizon, it felt like they dumped some cars with same model and worse sounds (due to Horizon mixing) in there to fill the DLC slots. Having reduced the number of cars per pack didn't help either.
Then again, I haven't enjoyed Horizon as much as I thought I would...

Mascot

You will never get an answer on such questions from PR representatives because they either don't know a shit or are not allowed to. Keep that in mind.

BADNET, you aren't a PR rep or officially tied to Turn 10, so why do you always hide your reveals behind hints and
annoying
riddles that are open to any number of different interpretations? You've got nothing to hide so why not just tell us what you know without cloaking it in swirling mist? You either want to share your knowledge or you don't. Which is it?

What's the story with this Che?

He was a master of the misdirection...when issues would arise, he would ignore them until they got out of hand, then give short, vague, "it'll be fixed" responses in an attempt to move along the discussion and give people hope that on final release things will be fixed. People would buy the game and lo and behold the issues still persisted.

I still remember the model swapping fiasco from showroom, to pre race, to in race...he tried hard to get people to move on from that. Was never fixed btw.

Knowing all this, I fully expect turn10 to keep hope alive about laser scanned nurb and others, but upon release, people will have already bought and we'll see the same old tracks and be greeted with "we tried to get them in, but we may have something for you all soon"

..."soon" meaning the next game ...maybe.

Thanks for answering mrJared.

In short that's it, a bunch of lies trying to hide all the shortcomings of the game. Shortcomings that didn't get fixed in the final game. Sounds familiar?

Well, you know what they say, foll me once...

p3tran

Banned
Thanks for answering mrJared.

In short that's it, a bunch of lies trying to hide all the shortcomings of the game. Shortcomings that didn't get fixed in the final game. Sounds familiar?

Well, you know what they say, foll me once...

good luck in your quest for a better game ;)

p3tran

Banned
assetto corsa isnt out yet :p

I have great faith in my Greek friend who makes it with the Italian guys, but the scales here are of different magnitude.

give them Italians 1/10th of the budget & tech of polyphony and t10, and then we're talking! 8)

G Rom

I think you don't remember the FM3 pre-launch, it was terrible.
I mean for Forza 5, the day after the unveiling they straight away addressed the big issues by saying no night, no Porsche, no weather. Last time we had to wait for an article on FM.net to get final confirmation...
The Laguna Seca issue is unfortunate but I understand that they can't say everything that's happening behind the scene. This is a launch game, and one could say the flagship title of the launch, at least as far as graphical showcase go. As others have said, pressure must be incredible on Turn 10's end, much more than on previous Forza.

We now have pretty good evidence of Turn 10 going back to at least Silverstone and Laguna Seca to laser scan them though so I believe they really went back to all tracks but I also believe they might not have time to put laser scanned versions of all tracks in the game at launch. BADNED talked about some data being used in this version of Laguna Seca anyway. Dan talked about friction coefficients in his presentation so I wouldn't be surprised if it was that type of data they could use in plan B tracks.

eso76

BADNET, you aren't a PR rep or officially tied to Turn 10, so why do you always hide your reveals behind hints and
annoying
riddles that are open to any number of different interpretations?

he is tied to T10, he always refers to T10 as 'we' lately.
And even if he isn't, he's very close to devs and he doesn't want to betray them by releasing informations he's not allowed to.
But he can't help it, so he resorts to riddles :p

p3tran

Banned
I dont know g-rom, last thing i care to do is to play devil's advocate, but just think about what t10 must think about before releasing alpha or beta footage...

see the last pages what MAYHEM has been raised for mirror reflections having a bit of pop-up or not running at a full 60 frames....

its almost laughable.

can you imagine them releasing a w.i.p. that has tearing or skips a couple of frames or does not even run in full res, since its a beta?

its better Dan commits harakiri :D

p.s.
about badned, if i am not mistaken, the dude made forzacentral back in the day and runs it since forever.
for many years that place had been a better forza community place than the official forums themselves.
So I'd say that t10 got a bit late of getting him involved.
and he basically dropped some bombs here, it just that he dropped them stealthy haha :D

I think you don't remember the FM3 pre-launch, it was terrible.
I mean for Forza 5, the day after the unveiling they straight away addressed the big issues by saying no night, no Porsche, no weather. Last time we had to wait for an article on FM.net to get final confirmation...
The Laguna Seca issue is unfortunate but I understand that they can't say everything that's happening behind the scene. This is a launch game, and one could say the flagship title of the launch, at least as far as graphical showcase go. As others have said, pressure must be incredible on Turn 10's end, much more than on previous Forza.

We now have pretty good evidence of Turn 10 going back to at least Silverstone and Laguna Seca to laser scan them though so I believe they really went back to all tracks but I also believe they might not have time to put laser scanned versions of all tracks in the game at launch. BADNED talked about some data being used in this version of Laguna Seca anyway. Dan talked about friction coefficients in his presentation so I wouldn't be surprised if it was that type of data they could use in plan B tracks.
wait, no Porsche?
So Ill have to pay another 25 dollars for a Porsche car pack (as they refused to allow purchase of individual cars from Porsche) when they clear up the licensing agreement?

p3tran

Banned
wait, no Porsche?
So Ill have to pay another 25 dollars for for a car pack (as they refused to sell individual cars from Porsche) when they clear up the licensing agreement?

I dont know the specifics of the deal, but I did notice on EA conference when they presented NFS, that the guy in charge made a very special mention about the return of ferrari's in need for speed.

I dont know what this means for their license of porsche, hopefully someone bartered for something in return for giving them the ferraris

anyways, worst case scenario here is that T10 has already been to RUF uk and done their thing. I dont remember where I read it, but Iremember I read it for sure

he is tied to T10, he always refers to T10 as 'we' lately.
And even if he isn't, he's very close to devs and he doesn't want to betray them by releasing informations he's not allowed to.
But he can't help it, so he resorts to riddles :p

I usually try to just lurk in Forza threads, because FM3 was the last one I played, but seeing this mentioned makes me wonder ...

Doesn't this annoy you guys? All this "I know something, but I can't talk about it, so here's some riddley stuff you can speculate about and never get a clear answer".

I always thought it's more annoying than fun and helpful, because most of the time it leads to more frustration, because people are so focused on one interpretation, only to be bitterly disappointed, because they guessed wrong (see: PGR 5 thread) and the guys like Badnet or Amar can just step back and say "hey, I never said that!" (but don't even comment most of the time).

But maybe I'm just seeing this wrong, because I'm not part of the community.

Shaneus

I have great faith in my Greek friend who makes it with the Italian guys, but the scales here are of different magnitude.

give them Italians 1/10th of the budget & tech of polyphony and t10, and then we're talking! 8)
But they don't have to worry about car soccer, that's gotta be like 7/10ths :p

I usually try to just lurk in Forza threads, because FM3 was the last one I played, but seeing this mentioned makes me wonder ...

Doesn't this annoy you guys? All this "I know something, but I can't talk about it, so here's some riddley stuff you can speculate about and never get a clear answer".

I always thought it's more annoying than fun and helpful, because most of the time it leads to more frustration, because people are so focused on one interpretation, only to be bitterly disappointed, because they guessed wrong (see: PGR 5 thread) and the guys like Badnet or Amar can just step back and say "hey, I never said that!" (but don't even comment most of the time).

I've learnt my lesson :(

derFeef

Completely agree. Since Badned's hints at a PGR5 announcement ("the art of driving blah blah") I don't trust it anymore.

But they don't have to worry about car soccer, that's gotta be like 7/10ths :p

I've learnt my lesson :(

It was painful D:

Badned and Amar, they share what they can and have. But things change and they can not always be 100% right. And since they are protecting their sources they need to give us riddles. IMHO it's better this why then to lose their insight alltogether.

amar212

Well, they should earn it, I suppose?

It is a sensitive question, but Polyphony earned and deserved all their budgets.

Kunos should make whatever they can develop a game that will be commercially successful enough to get AAA budgets on their disposal. And that means building a game that will be able to attract enough buyers to make it a commercial success.

And of course I am absolutely aware that "commercial success" is a tricky question once hard-core simulations comes into place, but that is the way the business goes. Unfortunately or fortunately - let us leave that for another discussion - but once that is understood, results of every driving franchise should be looked upon more complex lens.

If someone would give Arma guys the COD money, they would produce a miracle, I agree. But would that miracle be a commercial success? I seriously have no answer. Maybe yes, maybe not.

Badned and Amar, they share what they can and have. But things change and they can not always be 100% right. And since they are protecting their sources they need to give us riddles. IMHO it's better this why then to lose their insight alltogether.

Please don't get me wrong. I'm not saying they should spill the beans and just tell everything they know or that they mean any harm. I'm absolutely positive that they just want to help and give us something to talk about. They're both big parts in their community and clearly legit. But it feels like most of the time it simply leads to disappointment and no real clear answer. "Isn't that what he hinted at?", "omg, he said something about wind, that means that weather is clearly in it!". It seems like we'll never really know, because it's not being commented on (for obvious reasons).

I dont know the specifics of the deal, but I did notice on EA conference when they presented NFS, that the guy in charge made a very special mention about the return of ferrari's in need for speed.

I dont know what this means for their license of porsche, hopefully someone bartered for something in return for giving them the ferraris

anyways, worst case scenario here is that T10 has already been to RUF uk and done their thing. I dont remember where I read it, but Iremember I read it for sure

Dan said at E3 that MS gave up/didn't renew the Ferrari exclusive because they felt it was bad for the industry or just not good for anyone...something like that, and in turn it is up to EA to do the right thing with Porsche. But instead EA renewed with porsche for another decade and will continue to hold that license as an exclusive.

Any deal for dlc is basically T10 developing the pack then giving EA all the proceeds, which is why they never give away porsche packs and the deals are per game. So if Forza gets Porsche, it will be when EA says so and EA gets the money.

The way I see it, It is all on EA.

G Rom

Well it's on EA but fuck Porsche too for allowing this exclusive bullshit, especially with the pathetic use of the licence made by EA...
I'm sure if it was only up to Turn 10, we would already have our 917, 918, 935, etc... by now !

p3tran

Banned
Well, they should earn it, I suppose?
you_'re_god_damn_right.gif

;)

Dan said at E3 that MS gave up/didn't renew the Ferrari exclusive because they felt it was bad for the industry or just not good for anyone...something like that, and in turn it is up to EA to do the right thing with Porsche. But instead EA renewed with porsche for another decade and will continue to hold that license as an exclusive.

wow, this thing is so anti-corporation mindset to say, that i dont even believe it for a second :D
"do the good thing", and hope the your rival multinational does it too.
would make a good story for a walt disney cartoon though.. :D

eso76

I like riddles and BADNED revealed tons of cars this way.
People in the community working to put hints together was good fun.

Of course, being very vague, his hints were sometimes interpreted in totally wrong ways

SparksBCN

Neo Member
So it turns out I was right at the Laguna Seca thing... We'll see how the track is in the final game.

Anyway, I'm AMAZED seeing how you guys pulled from the SmartGeoMetrics rope. I'm very excited at the possibility of any of those tracks being in the game.

Other thing, we're assuming every single real world track from FM4 will be back for FM5 and that can very well not be the case if they are going for a laser-scanned only scenario.

you_'re_god_damn_right.gif

;)

wow, this thing is so anti-corporation mindset to say, that i dont even believe it for a second :D
"do the good thing", and hope the your rival multinational does it too.
would make a good story for a walt disney cartoon though.. :D

Oh no doubt there are other, more alterior motives in the details...but I am going to take him at his word that he thinks it is bad for his audience that a rival locks one marquee brand down just for "exclusive" rights on the box.

But I don't doubt that turn 10 wants those cars in the game, and EA paid porsche and wants to get that money back out of the deal either by putting a 911 front and center on the boxart or by licensing the brand back to turn 10 in a few months, if at all.

I sleuthed around like a mf'er last night trying to come up with some details on additional laser scanned tracks, but unfortunately came up with nothing more than the info we have. Different scanning companies, equipment manufacturers, industry websites, and forums. Nothing. The only thing of potential interest is they scanned downtown Spa as well, but that seems more of an equipment test/messing around than part of an actual job. Still, maybe it'll show up car posing/photo part of the game. Who knows. Mp4-12c on hand too.

I just noticed that Smart GeoMetrics removed all the images from their FB page (except Le Mans for whatever reason). Lol.

saladine1

I sleuthed around like a mf'er last night trying to come up with some details on additional laser scanned tracks, but unfortunately came up with nothing more than the info we have. Different scanning companies, equipment manufacturers, industry websites, and forums. Nothing. The only thing of potential interest is they scanned downtown Spa as well, but that seems more of an equipment test/messing around than part of an actual job. Still, maybe it'll show up car posing/photo part of the game. Who knows. Mp4-12c on hand too.

I just noticed that Smart GeoMetrics removed all the images from their FB page (expect Le Mans for whatever reason). Lol.

Le Mans not in FM5 confirmed.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
Dan said at E3 that MS gave up/didn't renew the Ferrari exclusive because they felt it was bad for the industry or just not good for anyone...something like that, and in turn it is up to EA to do the right thing with Porsche.

That's kind of funny considering they locked up a Top Gear exclusivity contract for FM5 (GT6 has the Top Gear track from GT5 removed).

I just noticed that Smart GeoMetrics removed all the images from their FB page (except Le Mans for whatever reason). Lol.

Probably because with its prominent Forza sponsorship, there's little point in hiding La Sarthe's inclusion.

We could be looking at quite the selection of tracks in FM5.

shinnn

FM5 won best racing game at Gamescom.

link

and a little gif

ibd0gP6hCE204S.gif

Orca

That's kind of funny considering they locked up a Top Gear exclusivity contract for FM5 (GT6 has the Top Gear track from GT5 removed).

There's a huge difference between locking up a line of cars and a TV show, no matter how well regarded it might be.

eso76

heard a new gamescom interview in which Dan says they started working on xboxone 4 years ago, game is pretty much finished, there's 2 months of development left, they'll use for polishing.

He also says gamescom build is pretty much complete (final engine, physics)

He says 26 cars were Autovista in FM4, now all cars are Forzavista (you can open doors, etc, no mention of trunk and hood though)

Nothing else, really.

(and silly me, gif is obviously from forzavista footage released months ago, i didn't remember the doors opening)

Top Bottom