• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forza Motorsport 5 |OT| Open wheel, tyre squeal, orange peel, dat next-gen feel

Fistexe

bravo Fistexe for the find!

so, just like I predicted.....

are by any chance the prices for the super pass (and the expansion pass) up?
No prices for anything.

Finally loaded some clips, couple of them are with hilarious physics (like IndyCar driving on the wall in Prague). Sadly, quality is ass.

Also, demo is confirmed :)

Small tidbit, your Driver Level and Credits can be viewed outside of game, right inside game details (it for all games, of course, not only forza).

faberpach

Once it is out of the back it is for them now to react and announce it properly.

Want some details on those expansion packs...

also really strange this model where cars and tracks go separated...

I am afraid the price tag is going to be really high... they better have some nice content there...

Good thing is that if the model works we might get a second season of expansions I like the model where a game can evolve and be less static...

really interested by the word expansion hope they have something big for it.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
Aliasing looks rough on that new video but shouldn't it look better, if it's being downsampled from 1080p to 720p?

Aliasing looks rough on that new video but shouldn't it look better, if it's being downsampled from 1080p to 720p?

If there's little to no AA to begin with a slightly scaled down image will have visible aliasing, less contrasting edges may soften but the highlighted ones are gonna still look jaggy.

Oh boy, this thread will be fun when they announce the price of that passes.

For a game i'm going to be playing for at least the next two years i don't mind spending the retail amount again - similar with BF4. It's what's in the packs that will decide whether it's worth my coinage or not.

Slayer-33

Liverpool-2
For a game i'm going to be playing for at least the next two years i don't mind spending the retail amount again - similar with BF4. It's what's in the packs that will decide whether it's worth my coinage or not.

Definitely going to play the shit outta FM 5

My LE body is ready

flashmouth

Neo Member
I don't know.
I know, if you don't want to buy it, you don't have to and you can still play the game without it. But everytime they announce something like that, I feel like getting kicked in the balls.
They established a certain standard with the previous games in the series, I always got like 400 cars and a decent amount of tracks.
But now I feel like getting half the content and having to pay an insane amount of money to get the other half that was there in the past right away.

Notice the detail again: "three expansion packs in 2014", so apparently there will be more afterwards.

Anyway, this will be fun, even without the extra content. But I hope it doesn't continue in this scale for future releases.

Do you remember when that (rumoured?) concept stage of GT5 was going to have you buy cars and tracks as you wanted them with pounds and pennies?

mrklaw

MrArseFace

if they do three Forza games during the generation, I'd want tracks and cars to work like Rock Band. If I pay for the now, I want them to work for free on future games. Especially if they aren't remade for future games (which they shouldn't need to be)

_machine

Absolutely, but the problem lies in getting less than before for a much higher price combined with the fact that part of that content is already made and could very well be free for added value. Right now with the lack of wheel support for any device that I might buy and the amount of content compared to the previous installations makes the value for money too low for me at the moment.

DLC itself for added longevity and value of the product is a concept I definitely support, but when the prices of that content rise and the amount of content included is cut down it's no longer a practice I want to support.

JaggedSac

Guys, if you want some Forza videos, check out the Smartglass app that was just placed on the WP marketplace. Been watching some of he community bids that have been uploaded. Watched Arthur Gies suck it up on the Top Gear test track in an old school Beemer.

if they do three Forza games during the generation, I'd want tracks and cars to work like Rock Band. If I pay for the now, I want them to work for free on future games. Especially if they aren't remade for future games (which they shouldn't need to be)

Good point.
Absolutely, but the problem lies in getting less than before for a much higher price combined with the fact that part of that content is already made and could very well be free for added value...

You're right, of course, but i already resigned myself to this being a diet version of Forza due to the gen transition so more stuff - depending on what it actually is - is fine by me, really. If these expansions are tracks + cars (it reads that way, i think...) in addition to the car pass then there should be a wealth for us to pick and choose from. Hopefully the expansions we'll see the sort of effort and quality that the Porsche pack brought.
Guys, if you want some Forza videos, check out the Smartglass app that was just placed on the WP marketplace. Been watching some of he community bids that have been uploaded. Watched Arthur Gies suck it up on the Top Gear test track in an old school Beemer.

There's probably about 3 people on GAF who have a WP.

_machine

You're right, of course, but i already resigned myself to this being a diet version of Forza due to the gen transition so more stuff - depending on what it actually is - is fine by me, really. If these expansions are tracks + cars (it reads that way, i think...) in addition to the car pass then there should be a wealth for us to pick and choose from. Hopefully the expansions we'll see the sort of effort and quality that the Porsche pack brought.
Agreed, the amount of cars isn't that bad considered that most of them have been significantly upgraded, but it is no longer such a selling point it was. But for me the amount of track is really, really bad; probably enough for me to lose interest way faster than I'd like to and we haven't really been informed that there will be very many coming either. Simply put, when compared to pCARS with planned 100-ish cars and almost 40 tracks at the base price when FM5 will probably have 250 cars and 20 tracks at most with price at well over 120€ it no longer feels that great of a purchase. Probably there lies the reason for me for waiting for FM6 or picking 5 from bargain bin when I do get XB1.

That said, I do think it's easily the most interesting game (and probably the only I'd buy) for me in the launch with the delay of Watch_Dogs and DriveClub.

p3tran

Banned
how about you guys with wp finding a way to share with us, the rest of ios/android peasants?

/shakes fist at microsoft

the fact that whatever "community" videos are up right now, is only of the "specialized press" makes them even more interesting :D

Watched Arthur Gies suck it up on the Top Gear test track in an old school Beemer.
wow, there goes one 7 mark for forza right there :D

I don't know.
But everytime they announce something like that, I feel like getting kicked in the balls.
They established a certain standard with the previous games in the series, I always got like 400 cars and a decent amount of tracks.
But now I feel like getting half the content and having to pay an insane amount of money to get the other half that was there in the past right away.

I understand the point you are making, but the standard of 400+ cars and many tracks has been through many years of development/iterations of the forza game on the 360. The standard for a first forza game is 1. not at launch and 2. not as many cars/tracks as you are indicating. Forza 2 had less tracks than Forza 5 (12) and not that many more cars. One could build an argument that the package of Forza 5 has more content as a whole than Forza 2 which is really exceeding the standard set by that game (first in a new generation).

Raudi

Sure hope the "Expansions" aren't just tracks but proper race series including tracks and cars!

IE: ALMS Expansion with Long Beach, Road America, + race cars would be nice

Sure hope the "Expansions" aren't just tracks but proper race series including tracks and cars!

IE: ALMS Expansion with Long Beach, Road America, + race cars would be nice

That would be the right approach to take.

I'd also like to see some time of day additions to the current roster.

p3tran

Banned
thanks Fistexe!

oh, I see raudi got hooked along with ivy thinking that a new dlc scheme was created so that ..his dreams will finally be fulfilled :D
a proper ALMS league with tracks and cars you say? :D (terry_for_the_gamers.gif)
and that would of course be, like ONE out of the three packs? well...

more like 3 tracks and 5 cars for the total pack.
(love to be wrong here, but just saying...)

but anyways,

3 extra tracks, one of them being a badass laser scanned nurburgring, these news are good enough for me to pull this out

U1OOewK.gif

nib95

Banned
it's a 720p video, though.

And here is Prague in a near final version
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XwEdDEFfQRY

Obviously it's not conclusive given the extreme compression and video sizes (near final version being 1080p footage, the original E3 footage being 720p), and different views (cockpit vs outside) etc, but to me at least it looks like there may have been a few downgrades in areas. I like that they've toned down bloom in certain segments, and that they've added glass to certain windows etc, but overall IQ, cleanliness, lighting and in areas, AO and texture/geometry detail just seems to have taken a dive.

Original reveal top, newer build bottom.

Forza5_1a.jpg~original

Forza5_1b.jpg~original

Forza5_3a.jpg~original

Forza5_3b.jpg~original

Forza5_4a.jpg~original

Forza5_5b.jpg~original

Forza5_6a.jpg~original

Forza5_6b.jpg~original

derFeef

New build has more details, green tent thing for the cameraman has a decal

:p

unless you point the things out I am not seeing much difference. It's not like we did not expect the final track to look a bit different, but this is just nitpicking.

nib95

Banned
New build has more details, green tent thing for the cameraman has a decal

:p

unless you point the things out I am not seeing much difference. It's not like we did not expect the final track to look a bit different, but this is just nitpicking.

I don't know dude. I'm trying to pad things down because I don't want to step on any toes, but from both a technical and aesthetic perspective, it looks pretty significant in areas.

Looks like AO has taken a big hit yes. Not sure if it's been altogether removed though.

I am optimistic about the expansions only because the rally expansion for Horizon was a really great value that I spent a lot of time in.

So let's hope for tracks, series spec cars, rivals, and Porsche.

derFeef

I don't know dude. I'm trying to pad things down because I don't want to step on any toes, but from both a technical and aesthetic perspective, it looks pretty significant in areas.

It's okay, I still think it looks fine. Aliasing problems are more worrisome to me but I will see this for myself on my TV. AO chould have been toned down or changed to a less harsher method, who knows, I can't tell in those screens.

There are more important problems with that game other than poly reduction/optimization and whatnot - your posts always seem like schadenfreude when you can point something out - mea culpa if that's not the case.

jet1911

Obviously it's not conclusive given the extreme compression and video sizes (near final version being 1080p footage, the original E3 footage being 720p), and different views (cockpit vs outside) etc, but to me at least it looks like there may have been a few downgrades in areas. I like that they've toned down bloom in certain segments, and that they've added glass to certain windows etc, but overall IQ, cleanliness, lighting and in areas, AO and texture/geometry detail just seems to have taken a dive.

Hard to judge since the sun is not in the same position in the reveal and in the final build.

SarBear

Why the FUCK wouldn't Turn10 announce this Ultimate Pass at the same time as the car pass? Seriously, if this is real, it needs to be brought to attention now so that those of us who are dedicated enough to give you our money can do it properly.

p3tran

Banned
I am optimistic about ........
Porsche.

hate to be the party pooper once more, but I would very easily take a bet that these, now announced "expansions" do not feature porsche at all.

given that nfs just released, which happens to hold he porsche license, I think it would make zero sense to expect anything porsche until at least six months down the road..
let nfs rip its porsche benefits, then ..maybe.

and, derFeef, I had to google that schander-shit :D but no need to apolo. you are right on the money.
good thing with situations like this is that there is no fuckin'way on earth that t10 can do even the slightest graphics reconfiguration without us taking notice ;D

Why the FUCK wouldn't Turn10 announce this Ultimate Pass at the same time as the car pass? Seriously, if this is real, it needs to be brought to attention now so that those of us who are dedicated enough to give you our money can do it properly.
I am going to be POSITIVE here, and guess that the UBER pass is something they recently figured out, so that the TOTAL dlc cost will be a bit lower, like maybe 15% (HOPEFULLY MORE GREEDY DAN) for those that want to buy all. (car packs+expansions packs)

Man, I am really wishing I had pre-orderd an XB1 now. I know I could probably go into Costco and get on one launch, but money is a bit tight to throw down $500 this close to Christmas.

Ugh, I really REALLY want this game.

stlobus

Microsoft has seen fit to send me 2 codes for additional cars for Forza 5 that I will not be using. I have included said codes in email tags in this post.

Audi Forza Motorsport R8 5.2 FSI Quattro

2011 McLaren Forza Motorsport 12C

Top Bottom