• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forza Motorsport 5 |OT| Open wheel, tyre squeal, orange peel, dat next-gen feel

zorbsie

Hey guys, quick question. If I buy Forza 5 today, how many GB of updates will I have to download?

(Just got my Xbone yesterday)

I think it's 5GB. Maybe slightly more.

I'll be around for Sundays race. Was going to be at the Indy race on Sunday, but I'm going on Saturday instead. The things I do for you guys. :)

Nice to play again, I forget how well most of the cars handle, not totally convinced by many of the race class car's grip but it could just be the way the ffb works.

I don't think it's a FFB issue, as most racecars are sorely lacking in mechanical grip on a pad as well. The trend after FM3 seems to be reduced grip from slick tires with each subsequent installment.

I thought you weren't using Pirelli tire data in FM5, T10. :p

So I just got the game. First ever Forza

Any random tips?

First non arcade racer?

If so, use all the assist at first.

When you feel things being to easy start removing assist.

1st take off assisted braking.

2nd make the race line braking only.

3rd remove stability and traction control.

4th remove ABS

and finally remove the braking line.

(moving from automatic to manual to manual/clutch can be added when ever)

This will not be a fast processes. When I started in Forza 1 for the Xbox I played with every assist. I wasn't playing completely assist fee until Forza 3.

But removing assist is incredibly rewarding. Every car becomes its on video game stage. Having to figure out how to handle a RWD vs AWD or FWD car will test your patience at first but once you get a hang of it you will find new ways of cutting time off your lap times.

And that's all before getting into running your cars.

Spades

Any random tips?

buy_all_things-400x300.jpg

Make sure you sign up to Forza Rewards, which pays out a credit bonus based on your Forza experience every month. You won't get a lot at first but you'll quickly start earning thousands every month. Always comes in handy.

Redshirt

Banned

Any random tips?

I'm not a Forza expert, but this is advice I wish I had as a newbie (assuming you're using a controller):

Turn off steering assist immediately. It's counter-productive. Use normal not simulation.

Reduce the dead zone in game for the sticks and triggers to zero.*

Use the clutch right away. Easier to climb that hill now than overcome bad habits later.

Swap clutch and handbrake on the controller layout.

* Try 0/100 inside/outside for steering, acceleration and deceleration axis. As you become comfortable with the steering, you may decide you like it set a bit higher, but the default Forza 5 settings are absurd and cause beginners a lot of unnecessary grief.

What didn't you like about it, the noise and the jolt?

Lifting off a fraction as you shift makes it seamless.

I didn't like having to dance around with my thumb, especially with that wheel.

Mascot said:
It's silent in operation. The vibration could be isolated by a foam rubber mat.

I work 3rd shift so on my days off I'm playing from 11pm - 4am I don't want to be that guy making the normal people below me have to hear a strange vibration noise at 3am.

I didn't like having to dance around with my thumb, especially with that wheel.

If I'm reading this right you're doing it wrong man. When auto-clutch is enabled (hold 'A' tap 'Mode' and release 'A') the clutch is automatically pressed with a shift, you don't need to press a button. To the player it's the same as using manual without clutch, you just have to lift when shifting.

Check you have it working either by listening for a crunch or watching the gearbox damage meter increase. If so try the button combo again.

ISR reviewd the TH8A, nothing really new if you've seen the TH8RS but there's a nice look at the calibration software I hadn't seen before.

http://www.isrtv.com/reviews/thrustmaster-th8a-shifter-review-ps3-ps4-pc-xbox-one/

Mascot

Always wanted a buttkicker. How did you set it up? Chair or sofa?

Under my Playseat using the long socket mod (1" socket wrench fitting bolted through the rear of the frame to provide a short vertical post).

If you are thinking of one, consider a homebrew transducer/amp set up. You can get twice the bang for the buck, or an equivalent set-up for half the cost.

It really is an amazing addition to a racing rig. Feeling the whole seat rumble when in tickover (and stronger when driving) is awesome enough by itself, but feeling impacts, rumble strips, kerbs and even gear changes complements the FFB from the wheel perfectly. The immersion goes off the scale.

TM released some info on the TX's sensitivity setting.

Pull right paddle and press 'Mode' for each step in sensitivity, haven't tried it yet.

If they patch in a combo for Spring and Dampening we'll be about where we were 5 years ago with Fanatec.

Mascot

Under my Playseat using the long socket mod (1" socket wrench fitting bolted through the rear of the frame to provide a short vertical post).

If you are thinking of one, consider a homebrew transducer/amp set up. You can get twice the bang for the buck, or an equivalent set-up for half the cost.

It really is an amazing addition to a racing rig. Feeling the whole seat rumble when in tickover (and stronger when driving) is awesome enough by itself, but feeling impacts, rumble strips, kerbs and even gear changes complements the FFB from the wheel perfectly. The immersion goes off the scale.

(cross-post from the PC Sims thread)

Quick noisy phone pic of my BKG2, mounted under the Playseat.

Shake dat ass!

C591YM7fwgiTK4YlJgDuEMjJSkXeKaWKCH0nk7b0CBI=w812-h609-no

SarBear

I didn't think so, as I managed to keep up with your ghost...

But you are slow through those corners.

I lose time in the long sweeper, so will be working on that.

I see what you mean. Turn 2 is really, really shaky for me. But I put up a decent time. Check it out.

Snubbers

I'm liking the new TX firmware, just for the auto-clutch! I was just cursing at the fact my 'A' button text has rubbed off and now they bring this out!..

Omni

Thanks for the tips guys.

One question. How do you find screenshots that you've taken? Is there a stats website or something?

SarBear

Thanks for the tips guys.

One question. How do you find screenshots that you've taken? Is there a stats website or something?

If you just want to look at your pics on the Xbox, there's a "MEDIA/PHOTOS" tile on the main Forza page. If you want to transfer them to the web, go to your Forza profile on forzamotorsport.net

Cushen

Neo Member
If someone can take my spot today that would be great. (#19 WestJet).

Apologies for missing 2 races in a row. Things just keep popping up lately.

Spades

tumblr_n8o0ddwX9A1qiv7luo1_250.png

Results after round four, Road America.

Drivers
1 - SarBear / 43 (Joker)
2 - p3tran / 27
3 - Devildoll / 26 (Joker)
4 - Spades / 19 (Joker)
5 - BIGT468 / 18 (Joker)
6 - Shortt Sirket / 13 (Joker)
7 - EBreda / 8
=8 - frontieruk / 5 (Joker)
=8 - Cushen / 5
10 - zorbsie / 4
11 - Flying Toaster / 1
---
CrudeDiatribe / 0
soundscream / 0
Cyros / 0
RWB993 / 0

Team
1 - DP Ninjas / 53 (Joker)
2 - Shake N Bake / 49 (Joker)
3 - Mediocre Motorsport / 35 (Joker)
4 - Team 7 / 33
5 - Maple Syrp / 10
6 - WestJet Racing / 7
---
MustangsR4LOSERS / 0

Next week's race is at Circuit de Spa-Francorchamps.
t1406484000z1.png

Hope you guys are still enjoying the series!

Cyros

What time did the race actually end up starting? I hung around online for like 10-15 minutes and then went off to watch The International.

BIGT468

Stupid controller ! !

giphy.gif

The guy at the desk represents my neighbors being startled by my slightly loud F-bomb tirade that hopefully you guys didn't hear. :D

frontieruk

Stupid controller ! !

giphy.gif

The guy at the desk represents my neighbors being startled by my slightly loud F-bomb tirade that hopefully you guys didn't hear. :D

I heard it all... I though it was God being angry...

Then I realised sarbear doesn't swear... That much ;-)

Omni

I have noticed something odd. For some reason occasionally the other cars on the track will randomly slow down and / or brake. Is it a difficulty thing or?

(above is a 30 second clip where it happens twice. Excuse the driving, I just started taking a few assists off)

p3tran

Banned
Guess it's the camera angle but those look like some huge pre-historic era leaves. :lol

Great pics btw.

its nurburassic, an extra course with a twist: instead of choosing time of day, you now get time of History.
ww2 era is fantastic :D
you are right, its something with the way the camera zoom/focus works in photomode :)

btw guys, I am starting to not like running the formula ford untuned in all courses. car can be less fun than a stock mk2 gti under some cases :)
maybe we can allow tuning of stock/oem parts for the remaining of the tracks?
for those of you that didnt make it yesterday, Sarbear also told us that when he tested the car on our next-next race, bathurst, and there it sucks more than it did in RA.
I didnt do the test myself, but I can see what he means.
so, I suggest either allowing oem parts tuning, or even better, sprucing it up to full class.
what do you think?

its nurburassic, an extra course with a twist: instead of choosing time of day, you now get time of History.
ww2 era is fantastic :D
you are right, its something with the way the camera zoom/focus works in photomode :)

btw guys, I am starting to not like running the formula ford untuned in all courses. car can be less fun than a stock mk2 gti under some cases :)
maybe we can allow tuning of stock/oem parts for the remaining of the tracks?
for those of you that didnt make it yesterday, Sarbear also told us that when he tested the car on our next-next race, bathurst, and there it sucks more than it did in RA.
I didnt do the test myself, but I can see what he means.
so, I suggest either allowing oem parts tuning, or even better, sprucing it up to full class.
what do you think?

For the love of god yes!

I was disconnected after being hit not once but twice on the 1st lap, and I wasn't that upset because I hate this car with a passion!

frontieruk

For the love of god yes!

I was disconnected after being hit not once but twice on the 1st lap, and I wasn't that upset because I hate this car with a passion!

My favourite part of the race was about 3/4 off the way through Short asked where you were, he hasn't seen the huge soundscream disconnected message.

m23

I have noticed something odd. For some reason occasionally the other cars on the track will randomly slow down and / or brake. Is it a difficulty thing or?

(above is a 30 second clip where it happens twice. Excuse the driving, I just started taking a few assists off)

I didn't notice the first one, but for the part in the tunnel looks like he was cut off so he braked....a little too hard. The drivatars do get better as you play, especially if you turn up the difficulty. They do less stupid things in my experience.

Top Bottom