• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fox is changing the landscape for black men on TV

Status
Not open for further replies.
Interesting article from the AV Club about black men on TV and how Fox is like... our savior. They might be right. Article's worth a read, give 'em a click. I've posted it below and bolded some choice bits. Great thing is, a lot of the shows talked about seem to be GAF favourites at this point.

http://www.avclub.com/article/fox-is-changing-the-landscape-for-black-men-on-tv-105763

“I can honestly say I hate being a black male,” wrote Orville Lloyd Douglas in The Guardian recently. “There is nothing special or wonderful about being a black male—it is a life of misery and shame.” He discusses the roots of his “self-hatred”—a stigma that stems from how black men are denied three-dimensionality by the world around them, which then transfers to their own self-perception.

Much of Douglas’ essay touches on an issue with the way black masculinity, in particular, is portrayed in mainstream culture: Black men have categories within their stereotypes, which provides a narrow scope of expression: “I hate rap music, I hate most sports, and I like listening to rock music such as PJ Harvey, Morrissey, and Tracy Chapman. I have nothing in common with the archetypes about the black male.”

Elsewhere, other writers have written about the constrictions of the socially accepted roles for black men. In fact, earlier this year, British author Lee Pinkerton published a controversial book, The Problem With Black Men, arguing that black men are “over-represented in all the places we don’t want to be,” such as prisons, and “under-represented in all the places we should be,” like educational institutions. And last month, blogger Jenn at The Nerds Of Color pointed out that AMC’s The Walking Dead has a profound problem with its black male characters:

After three seasons, this weird pattern borders on the comedic cliché and show in-joke: a central Black male character can only be introduced if the show’s previous Black man is bumped off, a pattern I (and others) have dubbed the “One Black Man at a Time” rule. The Rule has come into effect no less than three times over the course of The Walking Dead.

As she chronicles, the phenomenon is so widely acknowledged that it has sparked memes.

While the opinions of all the writers I’ve mentioned are subjective, there is a theme: Black men—and by extension black actors—often feel hamstrung by the roles available to them in American culture. And television is a powerful tool for shaping perceived identity. Professor J. Fred MacDonald, a former professor, published a book in the 1990s, Blacks And White TV, arguing that the “golden age” of black actors on television was in the 1960s. In his last chapter, he asks:

Must all positive black characters be clones of Dr. Cliff Huxtable, or can television respectfully create and audiences maturely accept a wide range of black personalities? Can satire, that subtlest of comedy forms, be widely understood as contemptuous parody instead of self-defeating confirmation for white bigots? Can drama portray distressing black realities without inviting racial insult?

Despite broadening diversity of casts on almost all of the major networks—and significant milestones on cable—there’s still a paucity of roles available for black men, and even fewer that aren’t convenient well-worn stereotypes like “cop,” “criminal,” or “comic-relief sidekick.” There may be more black people on broadcast television than ever before, but if that’s the case, it would be largely because reality series often cast more diversely than scripted shows. (And, as the article points out, shows with all-black casts have declined.)

But then, there’s Fox.

Fox has managed to quietly introduce some of the most well-rounded roles for black men in the last decade—and this year’s slate of new shows goes even further. Outside of Shonda Rhimes’ deliberately diverse casting on ABC, Fox is the least whitewashed broadcast network of the four heavyweight media giants, and it hasn’t stopped there. The network has been doing some socially revolutionary casting work, creating some of the strongest and most nuanced roles for black men on television. And in the process, Fox is producing critically acclaimed shows that are garnering viewers and accolades for their focus on authenticity and character—an openly acknowledged business decision, as NPR TV Critic Eric Deggans reports, to hire more diverse casts.

This is not, strictly speaking, news. Fox managed to create a few compelling roles for black men even when its most popular shows focused on families that were white, shows like The O.C. or Malcolm In The Middle. Malcolm had a black best friend, Stevie, who was a recurring character—not a regular one, but who was still granted some complexity. Omar Epps was a founding cast member of the popular medical series House, which ran for eight seasons. The David E. Kelley shows Ally McBeal and Boston Public were markedly diverse—Boston Public’s main character, Steven Harper, is a black man, played by first-billed Chi McBride. Fox’s animated hour included The Cleveland Show until this past season. And Dennis Haysbert began portraying a black president on 24 in 2002, a full six years before the election of Barack Obama.

What’s also notable about Fox’s current run of multi-faceted black characters is that they are characters built from different material than their counterparts from 10 years ago. Whereas House’s Dr. Foreman, Boston Public’s Principal Harper, and 24’s President Palmer are all professionals in ostensibly dramatic shows, Fox’s newest crop are in genre shows and sitcoms—sillier, broader, and holding down roles that could just as easily have gone to white actors. It’s diversity within diversity: By expanding the available roles for black actors beyond certain stereotypes, Fox is helping to broaden the mainstream TV audiences’ idea of what it means to be a black man.

It also helps to make great characters, with a complexity that audiences have warmed to. Fox’s endeavors are neither complete nor perfect, but it’s miles farther than what any other network is doing. (Even Shonda Rhimes’ work has thus far been squarely in one format—the nighttime soap.)

Three of these characters are on Fox sitcoms. The one that’s been around the longest is Winston, the fourth roommate in New Girl, which is now in its third season. He’s the least fully realized character on the show—which in every other way has prided itself on character—and his inclusion looks a bit like tokenism, especially because he replaced Coach—the only black character from the pilot—with an odd, post-hoc explanation that never quite sat right. But Winston has grown into a goofy character with a brand of humor that stands on its own, compared to the other characters, who often need to play off each other for the best effect. Then a few weeks ago, New Girl reintroduced Coach, played by Damon Wayans Jr., to guest-star through the end of the season—as a love interest for Cece, among other things. The sitcom hasn’t quite figured out what to do with Winston, but it certainly seems committed to investing in its black male characters. New Girl has built its success on character relationships, and Winston’s roundedness is part of that formula.

But New Girl is also 3 years old. Three of Fox’s new shows from this fall are casting black actors in better and better parts. Rookie sitcom Brooklyn Nine-Nine has the distinction of being a half-hour sitcom with two well-rounded black characters in the regular cast: the buttoned-up, openly gay precinct captain, played by Andre Braugher, and the histrionic, gun-shy father, played by Terry Crews. They are very different characters, which eliminates the sense that other sitcoms evoke that the one character of color might be a token. The show is openly fun, with an Office-like vibe that focuses more on the antics of the co-workers than on any particular cases of the week. Andy Samberg plays the lead, a rebellious yet smart detective with a mouth on him. Braugher plays his superior, and he’s able to play the straight man but isn’t confined to the role; if anything, his barely twitching face is even funnier than Samberg’s goofing off. If he were the only black man on the show, perhaps Braugher would fade into the background as yet another black cop, but he’s joined by Terry Crews’ Jeffords, a physically imposing man who is hilariously afraid of gunfire, drives a minivan, and dotes on his two daughters (twins named Cagney and Lacey) all the while. Neither man is stereotypical, but neither is the project of a social justice graduate thesis, either. Holt and Jeffords are characters with stories that evolve as the show continues. Jeffords has to learn to shoot a gun again without fear, and Holt’s motivation in making Samberg’s Jake Peralta a better officer is to make sure the first precinct headed by a gay black man is beyond reproof.

Then there are two hour-long shows that fall into a harder-to-define category: Almost Human and Sleepy Hollow. Both are crime procedurals, in a sense, but they’re also distinctly tinged with genre elements: Sleepy Hollow has a historical-fantasy bent, with arcane magics and time-traveling; Almost Human is science fiction, where a robot cop and a human cop are teamed up. (Michael Ealy, who is black, plays the android.) Both shows are a reach—the pre-air descriptions of Sleepy Hollow were so convoluted as to be ludicrous—but both have also been critically well-received, primarily for their human grounding within fantastical genre elements. Sleepy Hollow is getting press for Nicole Beharie as the lead detective, but equally interesting is Orlando Jones’ role as her supervisor on the case. Jones is a screen veteran who brings his gravitas to a show with absolutely no gravitas—Sleepy Hollow is too splashy to be taken seriously; half the time, the proceedings onscreen feel like a joke. Jones is the straight man—a detective who isn’t skeptical about magic so much as practical about how it affects him. In the midst of magical drugs, waking dreams, and portals to other eras, Jones serves as the audience’s anchor to the here and now. It says a lot that the show’s casting allowed such a grounding, anchoring character to be a black man. Indeed, it’s difficult to think of another black man in a racially diverse show that is permitted to be audience surrogate. The best example might be Star Trek’s Deep Space Nine, with Captain Sisko, which ended almost 15 years ago.

Almost Human has just debuted, which makes it harder to write about, but unlike Sleepy Hollow it sits squarely in its genre’s tradition, following in the footsteps of Isaac Asimov’s I, Robot and Philip K. Dick’s Do Androids Dream Of Electric Sheep? The former’s film adaptation starred Will Smith as the only human in an android rebellion; in Almost Human, Ealy plays an android with feelings, an older model, partnered with a human who hates androids. Why cast a black actor for the role of Dorian? Well, why not? Almost Human is telling a story about discrimination, after all. The new models of androids don’t feel—and are also largely played by white actors. This isn’t just an employment decision on Fox’s part—it’s a creative one as well.

The same goes for each show mentioned. These are characters built with care, where race is not a question to be avoiding but rather a component that makes up the whole person. It’s a business decision, but it’s also paying off. Sleepy Hollow is a sleeper hit and already has a second-season order; Brooklyn Nine-Nine is one of the best comedies of the fall; getting the coveted post-Super Bowl slot, New Girl is one of Fox’s major successes of the past few years; and Almost Human has been given a lot of hype leading up to its debut. For years, execs have been wary of introducing black characters that might not appeal to white audiences. But Fox’s boldness is producing a brilliant set of shows that makes it feel fresher and more compelling than many other network lineups.

It’s worth pointing out that these casting choices aren’t perfect. Four of the six characters I’ve discussed are in law enforcement, and the other two are former athletes. There’s more to black men than this. And six isn’t very many characters. But it is a start—and if five of those are just from this fall, Fox’s next season could be transformative.

After viewing Brooklyn 9-9, Almost Human, and Sleepy Hollow, I agree. Go Fox. Sleepy Hollow in particular's great. As someone mentioned in the SH thread, there are so many black people, that they can talk about other black people in the show.

Solid read. I agree, Fox is doing some really exciting things with their lineup this season, and the fact they're got casts that doesn't feel diverse just for the sake of diversity just makes it all the better. They're well written roles that have been properly cast which - shockingly - makes for great TV.

Broyles was awesome on Fringe. Another Fox show.

I don't get the love for Winston in that article. He seemed like he was consciously added to the show to keep from inviting comparisons to shows like Friends which was reamed for its lack of diversity. I think he just serves as the token black friend if nothing else.

I'd also like to state that Fox may be the go to case when it comes to basic television, but HBO has offered nuanced black characters for ages now.

JDSN

Banned
Im surprised the article didnt mention CCH Pounder's work in The Shield, the character was pretty amazing and so unconventional without managing to be a cynic combination of minorities smashed in. But yeah, fuck The Walking Dead.

Edit: Oh, duh black men.

Aaron

While these are good roles that don't feel tokened, none of them are leads like the BBC has done with Luther.

They're responsible for greenlighting, funding and continuing to air those shows. This larger black presence only happens because Fox doesn't say "no" to it.
So others take it upon themselves to write those characters, cast them and create the pilot; which Fox then decide on? Okay.

Dead Man

Im surprised the article didnt mention CCH Pounder's work in The Shield, the character was pretty amazing and so unconventional without managing to be a cynic combination of minorities smashed in. But yeah, fuck The Walking Dead.

Edit: Oh, duh black men.

:) While CCH Pounder may not be the epitome of femininity, I don't think anyone would confuse her with being a man.

JDSN

Banned
So others take it upon themselves to write those characters, cast them and create the pilot; which Fox then decide on? Okay.

Are you implying that the company somehow has no control about the direction they wanna take when creating their shows and dont deserve any credit for it?

:) While CCH Pounder may not be the epitome of femininity, I don't think anyone would confuse her with being a man.

Hahaha, its that this articles always focus on black people in general and while I should have edited out after noticing my post is borderline off-topic, the awesomeness that is Claudette must be spread through the internet.

neorej

ERMYGERD!
I'm glad this is happening.I have been wondering why Arrow has TWO black characters and at most TWO Asians. Walking Dead is also mostly white, as is agents of SHIELD.

Slayven

I'm glad this is happening.I have been wondering why Arrow has TWO black characters and at most TWO Asians. Walking Dead is also mostly white, as is agents of SHIELD.

It is hilarious even in an Atlanta prison Walking Dead can only find one black dude at a time.

Guerilla

I too think Fox is doing an excellent job. Winston still sucks btw, least developed and least funny character in the show. That Wayans Jr fuckup really cost the show.

While these are good roles that don't feel tokened, none of them are leads like the BBC has done with Luther.

I don't know what you mean by leads, most shows have more than one lead character, Sleepy Hollow for example has two and one of them is black.

Slayven

I too think Fox is doing an excellent job. Winston still sucks btw, least developed and least funny character in the show. That Wayans Jr fuckup really cost the show.

I don't know what you mean by leads, most shows have more than one lead character, Sleepy Hollow for example has two and one of them is black.
Wayans JR came back in the last ep. So much for Happy Endings.

Well, I imagined that once the prison had an opening in the walls, they all bailed like "yeah, bitches! FREEDOM!"

That is how I imagining it happening except for all of Atlanta. "Shit is going down, bye."

Oh God, The Walking Dead...

I stopped watching last season, so I can't comment on the newest token black guys, but T-Dog was just an embarrassment. I mean, his name was T-Dog, for fuck's sake!

andycapps

It is hilarious even in an Atlanta prison Walking Dead can only find one black dude at a time.

There's Tyreese and Bob now. So technically two, but yeah, T-Dog was the "token black guy" for a long time until he got killed off, paving the way for Tyreese.

Good article, and I agree. Fox has been killing it lately, and their decision to cast several black male leads is a good one.

Vagabundo

It is funny they should mention the Walking Dead, because I 'm a little behind in the episodes, but watched on last night and they had three black characters in the car with rick. I thought for once you have a couple of black characters on screen at once. I think walking dead has become aware of their One Black Man character problem.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
I still remember when Married with Children would make jokes about how terrible FOX's programming was, hahahahahaha. That show was so awesome.

Fatalah

I loved the principal in Boston Public, along with Seven of Nine from DS9 (not black, but just saying she was great ). BP was a great show.

I couldn't believe that the writers of Walking Dead didn't realize what they were doing when it came to the black males on the show. It happened three freaking times for Christ's sake.

Hari Seldon

Good to see a shout out to House. Doing a re-watch and that show is seriously awesome. Omar Epps is great and a very important character in the show.

Is it weird that when I watch these shows that I don't see the color of the actors's skin? It took this article to make me realize there is two black guys in New Girl and Brooklyn 9-9.

entremet

Oh God, The Walking Dead...

I stopped watching last season, so I can't comment on the newest token black guys, but T-Dog was just an embarrassment. I mean, his name was T-Dog, for fuck's sake!

T-Dog reminds that the writers are still stuck on that gansta stereotype of the 90s, seen in movies such as Menace 2 Society.

Yado

Is it weird that when I watch these shows that I don't see the color of the actors's skin? It took this article to make me realize there is two black guys in New Girl and Brooklyn 9-9.

Are these characters that irrelevant or do you just have poor eyesight?

entremet

Isn't that ironic based on Fox News' horrible rep.

Well to be fair, Fox Entertainment and Fox News are totally different divisions. Fox and Fox Entertainment have always been the edgy network--In Living Color was a mostly a black cast for sketch comedy show and they've always pushed the edge with comedy--Married with Children, The Simpsons.

You could say they're totally different companies. Another comparison is MSNBC and CNBC. Same owner but both pandering to diametrical opposed groups.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
It is refreshing to see diverse casts in shows with a wealth of character.

I'm loving Brooklyn 99. Almost Human is great. I enjoy watching Sleepy Hollow.

Sleepy Hollow actually surprised me with how candid it was about race. Ichibod commenting on how Abbie Mills must have been emancipated. Abbie and Irving trying to convince Ichibod that Jefferson had kids with his slave Sally Hemings was hilarious.

Ivan 3414

Interesting article from the AV Club about black men on TV and how Fox is like... our savior.

...Seriously?

People need to cut it out with the whole, "this depiction of black people just set the entire race 100 years!" BS. The well-being of all black people does not hinge on a television show. Likewise, apparently, a television network isn't capable of saving an entire race because they decide to put a few positive roles for black men in their shows.

Blader

Good to see a shout out to House. Doing a re-watch and that show is seriously awesome. Omar Epps is great and a very important character in the show.

Foreman was the worst part of that cast by a landslide.

Though I bailed out around s6, so maybe they introduced someone worse later on.

DigitalOp

Banned
What's up with the dude saying he hates being black? Fuck that. That type of shit is 1000x worse than any racisim ever endured .

I can't get down with that at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom