• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fox is changing the landscape for black men on TV

Status
Not open for further replies.
What's up with the dude saying he hates being black? Fuck that. That type of shit is 1000x worse than any racisim ever endured .

I can't get down with that at all.

Eh. I can see where he's coming from. The treatment you get can get grating. And some people get fed up with it all.

What's up with the dude saying he hates being black? Fuck that. That type of shit is 1000x worse than any racisim ever endured .

The experience in America definitely paints Blacks in negative colors. But I agree, as a Black man the challenges and situations I am put in make me cultured and experienced. We don't get to ride the white horse around this country, unless we are headed to jail.

Mesousa

Banned

Spoken like someone who has never been judged, or had their life worsened, by something as simple as the color of their skin.

It sucks being a minority in America. Pass the comedies, the political commentary, and the hot button issues that is the reality in America.

T-Dog reminds that the writers are still stuck on that gansta stereotype of the 90s, seen in movies such as Menace 2 Society.
Meh. People like that exist. Just like red neck assholes like Meryl exist. If most black characters were like T-Dog and most white characters were like Meryl then there would be a problem. Walking Dead has quite a variety of black characters this season, I see no reason to complain. Bad writing/characters plagues the show in general so it's not exclusive to one race.

I know the OP was being hyperbolic and didn't mean Fox is saving black people, but an interesting point should be made. The portrayal of black men on mainstream television is getting better, and studies have shown television has a large impact on how children - specifically girls and minorities - view themselves. Not seeing yourself on television has an impact on self esteem. There's a reason why young white boys have more confidence and self esteem than girls and minorities. Western society is crafted to represent them in media; it's no wonder so many grow up with privledged views on issues like this (see: complaints about black main characters in television, film, comics, etc).

That being said, portrayals of black people seem to have gotten worse on "black shows." Reality shows seem to dominate black television habits, and the ignorant behavior isn't endearing. Hyper sexuality, hyper masculinity, disdain for intellectualism, etc dominate popular black reality shows like Love & Hop Hop, Housewives of x, etc. The days of the Cosbys and other black families on television seem to be gone, outside of Tyler Perry stuff.

Slayven

Spoken like someone who has never been judged, or had their life worsened, by something as simple as the color of their skin.

It sucks being a minority in America. Pass the comedies, the political commentary, and the hot button issues that is the reality in America.

It sucks, but when you turn struggle into self hatred, then you lost and they won.

Carnby

:) While CCH Pounder may not be the epitome of femininity, I don't think anyone would confuse her with being a man.

Little Known Fact: When CCH auditioned for the role of Claudet, it was originally a male character. She was aware of this and acted like a man during her audition. The casters liked her, but found her performance odd. So they called her back for one more chance. The rest is history...

Dead Man

Little Known Fact: When CCH auditioned for the role of Claudet, it was originally a male character. She was aware of this and acted like a man during her audition. The casters liked her, but found her performance odd. So they called her back for one more chance. The rest is history...

Well I just learned something new, thanks. Awesome work by her getting the role.

DigitalOp

Banned

I have. It wasn't super discrimination. Hell I get judged everyday. I have dreads lol.

But I would never ever hate myself for that... What time of weak shit is that?

It sucks, but when you turn struggle into self hatred, then you lost and they won.

Thank you Slayven. You never turn to self hate. Perfect way to lose the fight instantaneously.

When you turn to self hatred. The game is over.

Mesoian

I have. It wasn't super discrimination. Hell I get judged everyday. I have dreads lol.

But I would never ever hate myself for that... What time of weak shit is that?

Thank you Slayven. You never turn to self hate. Perfect way to lose the fight instantaneously.

When you turn to self hatred. The game is over.

Pretty much this. Even if the entire world is your enemy (or at least you see it that way), the moment you turn on yourself is when the game is over.

Jackpot

Banned

wat.

Gas chambers 1000x times better than being sick of what you are because of the shit you get for it apparently.

njean777

I really noticed his walking dead example. I was pissed when
t-dog was killed off in walking dead
. When that happened I was like wtf, we never really even got to know the guy.

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
Eureka, main guy and the black guy were the smartest dudes in the whole town of super geniuses.

Cmon now. Captain america wasn't anywhere near the smartest dude on the show. Iron man and Henry, sure.

Mesoian

Cmon now. Captain america wasn't anywhere near the smartest dude on the show. Iron man and Henry, sure.

Street smarts and book smarts, yeah, Henry and Not Mike Rowe are the two smartest people in Eureka. It's the only reason why Not Mike Rowe ever had his job to begin with.

Slayven

Carter was smart because he had common sense, he might not be able tor reverse polarities. But he damn sure knew when shit wasn't right way before anyone else. And he asked the right questions.

Street smarts and book smarts, yeah, Henry and Not Mike Rowe are the two smartest people in Eureka. It's the only reason why Not Mike Rowe ever had his job to begin with.

Yeah you said it better. Love the Not Mike Rowe. Hahahaha

Mesoian

Carter was smart because he had common sense, he might not be able tor reverse polarities. But he damn sure knew when shit wasn't right way before anyone else. And he asked the right questions.

I actually met Colin Ferguson at DragonCon like, 3 years ago while drinking with a bunch of my friends. I pointed at him in a semi drunken haze and yelled out, "HEY! YOU'RE YOU'RE....MIKE ROWE! HEY GUYS IT'S MIKE ROWE!!!"

I was embarrassed, but he was super nice about it. Gave us all pictures and autographs.

Im surprised the article didnt mention CCH Pounder's work in The Shield, the character was pretty amazing and so unconventional without managing to be a cynic combination of minorities smashed in. But yeah, fuck The Walking Dead.

Edit: Oh, duh black men.

Well the role was originally written to be male.

Slayven

I actually met Colin Ferguson at DragonCon like, 3 years ago while drinking with a bunch of my friends. I pointed at him in a semi drunken haze and yelled out, "HEY! YOU'RE YOU'RE....MIKE ROWE! HEY GUYS IT'S MIKE ROWE!!!"

I was embarrassed, but he was super nice about it. Gave us all pictures and autographs.

Yeah he seemed like a cool dude. And I bet he got that a lot. It kills me that he basically wore his same uniform and played the same guy in Lake Placid 3 that he played in Eureka.

Nesotenso

Sleepy Hollow has been kind of ok. Still interesting and amusing enough to keep watching. I hope John Cho gets a regular gig on one of these network TV shows.

I liked the first two episodes of Almost Human more than all the Sleepy Hollow episodes aired so far.

Slayven

Sleepy Hollow has been kind of ok. Still interesting and amusing enough to keep watching. I hope John Cho gets a regular gig on one of these network TV shows.

I liked the first two episodes of Almost Human more than all the Sleepy Hollow episodes aired so far.

Yeah me to. Kal Pen can stay losing hosting busted game shows. He revealed himself to be a asshat.

Shouta

Fox has always been good about this. For example, one of my favorite shows from the 90s (at least for the first two or so seasons) was New York Undercover. It a cast made up of mostly Black and Hispanic actors.

^ I remember 15 years ago when the entire Fox primetime lineup consisted of stuff that only black people would watch. Too bad ratings and the bottom line killed that idea off.

Isn't that ironic based on Fox News' horrible rep.

Beaten, but not really, since Fox the TV/Movie production house is an entirely different entity to Fox news, and is actually aware of their black/gay/Mexican/whatever audience

DedValve

Banned

Tyreese is dead?

Walking Dead comics aren't really better tbh. Every black character hooks up with other black characters and I think there aren't more than a max of 3 in Ricks group at a time.

What happened to black females? I think I can at best think of Bonnie from Vampire diaries who was pretty light skinned but also one of the few that had a major role in the case.

The chick (tyreese's daughter?) from the walking dead also looks kickass from the 5 seconds we've seen of her. Here's hoping we get to see more.

Parallax

Common sense, sure not even gonna argue that. But when you say he's the smartest in eureka, your gonna have to be more definite

Yeah me to. Kal Pen can stay losing hosting busted game shows. He revealed himself to be a asshat.

Agreed. Fuck him.

Ovid

I'm glad this is happening.I have been wondering why Arrow has TWO black characters and at most TWO Asians. Walking Dead is also mostly white, as is agents of SHIELD.
I watched like 3 or 4 episodes of SHIELD. The only black people I saw were villains.

Pastry

Banned
Brooklyn 9-9 is a fantastically diverse show. It also features two Hispanic women characters devoid of any stereotypes.

DigitalOp

Banned
wat.

Gas chambers 1000x times better than being sick of what you are because of the shit you get for it apparently.

Think about what you just typed. Read it. Understand why I made that statement.

The world is giving you shit. So apparently in your mind, you have to give yourself shit too.

That will always be worse than a gas chamber. Sad truth.

And gas chambers will always be a blemish on human history IMO.

I read a tweet yesterday about how Sleepy Hollow had enough important black characters that two of them could talk about another black character.

Shit's good!

...Seriously?

People need to cut it out with the whole, "this depiction of black people just set the entire race 100 years!" BS. The well-being of all black people does not hinge on a television show. Likewise, apparently, a television network isn't capable of saving an entire race because they decide to put a few positive roles for black men in their shows.

Well, I was being... hyperbolic.

Mononoke

Banned
Winston is actually my favorite character on New Girl. I'm always hoping t hey give him more time/episodes centered around him. While I don't mind him being goofy, I kind of wish they would pull back a tad, and just give him more screen time.

Fox has always been good about this. Shit Sleepy Hollow totally breaks the rule of three constantly and UENO. Almost Human? Shit Dorian feels like the main character to me, and his annoyance at the word "synthetic" yea. What minority especially black people CAN'T relate to that?

I always find it sad how horrible black representation is in both movies and television despite the fact blacks consume media at a much higher rate relatively to our population size.

Parallax

Fox has always been good about this. Shit Sleepy Hollow totally breaks the rule of three constantly and UENO. Almost Human? Shit Dorian feels like the main character to me, and his annoyance at the word "synthetic" yea. What minority especially black people CAN'T relate to that?

I always find it sad how horrible black representation is in both movies and television despite the fact blacks consume media at a much higher rate relatively to our population size.

What's amusing is hearing certain people say that they can't watch shows with a heavy emphasis on minorities because they can't relate. The notion behind such a idea makes my head spin because for the most part minorities have to deal with not seeing representations of themselves in shows all the time and yet can relate just fine.

ReiGun

I'm glad this is happening.I have been wondering why Arrow has TWO black characters and at most TWO Asians. Walking Dead is also mostly white, as is agents of SHIELD.

Arrow has had multiple black people; just most of them aren't really major. There's Dig, Walter, Dig's sis in law, Amanda Waller, Laurel's friend, Bronze Tiger, and the Mayor. Of those, only Dig and Walter have been really developed, and Walter is barely on the show. The last two are villains, Waller was just introduced, and the other two chicks disappeared into the ether. :/

Im surprised the article didnt mention CCH Pounder's work in The Shield, the character was pretty amazing and so unconventional without managing to be a cynic combination of minorities smashed in. But yeah, fuck The Walking Dead.

Edit: Oh, duh black men.

who was the guy that played that gay black cop on the Shield? as the show went on, he turned into a three dimensional character

Arrow has had multiple black people; just most of them aren't really major. There's Dig, Walter, Dig's sis in law, Amanda Waller, Laurel's friend, Bronze Tiger, and the Mayor. Of those, only Dig and Walter have been really developed, and Walter is barely on the show. The last two are villains, Waller was just introduced, and the other two chicks disappeared into the ether. :/

The only one I remember is.....Digg and Walter.

I won't be satisfied until we have another run of things like the 80s/90s where you could have hit shows like the Cosby Show (a sitcom about a middle/upper class black family), A Different World (a sitcom about a HBCU), Martin (an ensemble sitcom with a completely minority cast), and Living Single (an ensemble sitcom with a completely minority cast about "buppies", ala Friends)...and have them be hits without the issue of audiences being "unable to relate" to them.

...but it's great to see strong minority characters that can't fit into convenient stereotyped boxes on any network.

Fox has always been a bit progressive/experimental with their programming, going back as far as its early days. I mean, they had a sitcom about interracial marriage, in the late 80s/early90s.

DonasaurusRex

Online Ho Champ
Sleepy Hallow 2nd SEASON FUCK YEAYUZ....i mean its good fox is doing this, i've noticed myself especially with Sleepy Hallow....i was kinda concerned with that show, loved it but the main chars were 3 african americans, and an asian . Im glad its gonna get another go, had a tough time slot especially for the fall.

JCX

I had a teacher at an improv school tell me that black men get most of the roles in things now. I was shocked that he was not joking. The entire class fought him on that.

Winston shouldn't be an example of a positive. From the few episodes i've seen of the show he's the black guy who's only really there to appeal to black people and do black things like date black characters. He's the definition of token.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom