• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fox is changing the landscape for black men on TV

Status
Not open for further replies.

Figboy79

Aftershock LA
While he's not black or a regular, John Cho plays such an interesting character on Sleepy Hollow.

He really does. I'm glad to see the Star Trek cast showing up on various television shows. They haven't let the success of their films make them "too good" for TV.

Zachary Quinto was great on American Horror Story, but I'm two seasons behind on that, and haven't had the chance to catch up, though. John Cho is always great in the stuff I've seen him in (Flash Forward, Star Trek, Harold and Kumar, etc). His character on Sleepy Hollow is a trip.

My only complaint about Sleepy Hollow is that it's called "Sleepy Hollow." Personally, I don't get what Ichabod Crane or Sleepy Hollow have to do with a show that seems primarily about the Book of Revelations in the Bible. It's like FOX wasn't that confident in the premise, so slapped a recognizable "brand" on it to help sell it. I think the show would have stood on its own.

Look at the show Haven, which is very similar in a way (supernatural police stuff), but is original (albeit based on a Stephen King book).

Anyway, I'm enjoying Sleepy Hollow, but I'm not a fan of the Angels/Demons/Bible end of the world prophecy stuff (and I'm a Christian!). I really like the characters, so me and my wife keep watching.

He really does. I'm glad to see the Star Trek cast showing up on various television shows. They haven't let the success of their films make them "too good" for TV.

Zachary Quinto was great on American Horror Story, but I'm two seasons behind on that, and haven't had the chance to catch up, though. John Cho is always great in the stuff I've seen him in (Flash Forward, Star Trek, Harold and Kumar, etc). His character on Sleepy Hollow is a trip.

My only complaint about Sleepy Hollow is that it's called "Sleepy Hollow." Personally, I don't get what Ichabod Crane or Sleepy Hollow have to do with a show that seems primarily about the Book of Revelations in the Bible. It's like FOX wasn't that confident in the premise, so slapped a recognizable "brand" on it to help sell it. I think the show would have stood on its own.

Look at the show Haven, which is very similar in a way (supernatural police stuff), but is original (albeit based on a Stephen King book).

Anyway, I'm enjoying Sleepy Hollow, but I'm not a fan of the Angels/Demons/Bible end of the world prophecy stuff (and I'm a Christian!). I really like the characters, so me and my wife keep watching.

Only been a couple of episodes, but Karl Urban's great as one of the leads on Almost Human.

Kimawolf

Yeah fox has been great for black males. when I was young it was nice to see black people on tv not involved in buffoonery or minstrel yuck yuck acts. Good on your Fox.

Now let's work on that Asian representation.

Zoe

Yeah fox has been great for black males. when I was young it was nice to see black people on tv not involved in buffoonery or minstrel yuck yuck acts. Good on your Fox.

Now let's work on that Asian representation.

Asians are all over Almost Human.

Drakeon

Didn't even realize it, but yeah, fox is doing great. I watch Brooklyn 99 and Sleepy Hollow, the only two shows I watch a week besides Walking Dead. Also plan to check out Almost Human.

They don't feel typecast at all or like they're the token black character. Hell, Sleepy Hollow has the main character, her captain and her sister (a side character for the moment, but probably gaining more prominence shortly).

That doesn't excuse the travesty of the worlds horrors, by no means.

But when you start fueling your misery with self loathing, you bring about the demise of your own self. Honestly, you are all you got in this world. When you give up on yourself, what hope do you have left? None.

You dont justify your tormenters fucked up prenotions. That will never be the answer. They only torture you more!!! I'd rather die proud with faith in myself than live a self depreciating life. The minute we stop ENABLING and condoning this behavior, we can start helping others who are struggling with this mindset overcome their disdain. We can show them that blaming themselves for their situations is NOT the answer. Its NOT the solution. It will NEVER be. It brings you more pain and heartache than the travesty that put you there in the first place.

My ancestral lineage did not overcome years of painstaking labor and torment by blaming themselves...

Jews did not endure years disgusting treatment and abuse by blaming themselves...

Native Americans didn't cope with a literal takeover by blaming themselves

Muslim Americans who were ridiculed and stigmatized after 9/11 attacks didn't persevere by blaming themselves

Hell, Americans didn't blame themselves either for those attacks that day.

We have to stop this empathic response to self wallowing. It literally brings no comfort and you only continue to allow the person to drown in despair.

It takes people a place where very very very few ever return.

And too bad in almost every single one of your examples. I'm willing to bet within those groups there were some who blamed themselves. I'm willing to be there was a Jewish person in that concentration camp who broke and felt like he deserved to be in there. I bet during the interment camps a Japanese American broke and felt s/he deserved to be there.

While your Doctor Phil-esque statements might have some truth to it, by being empathetic towards the person you have a better chance of convincing them that they're current thoughts about themselves relative to their situation isn't permanent and things get better and they have no reason to blame themselves. Being a hardass selfish douche only does nothing but further their self hatred.

You're welcome for that tidbit of knowledge, consider it a gift.

Brooklyn Nine Nine and Sleepy Hollow are both really really great. Probably two of my favorite shows on tv right now. Also been enjoying Elementary.

I guess you're right in the sense that TWD just has a lot of bad characters overall, but Merle is actually a competent, scary character; T-Dog has this dumb ass name, was largely ignored even in scenes he's in, and most damning was comparing him to Tyreese in the books, who was present from nearly the start and was immediately a top-tier member along with Rick, Andrea (another bad portrayal of women on the show, great in the books), and Glenn. He was also part of all the romantic soap opera stuff that is a big part of the books; T-Dog was portrayed as having absolutely zero to do with that.

It is hard to make excuses for just how incompetent and boring T-Dog is. Merle is a shitbag, not a bad character.

True but the show is full of incompetent characters. Rick's wife and her driving skills come to mind; the show is full of people doing shockingly stupid things that seem like bad writing (last ep: the girl somehow twisting her ankle after hearing a bird call).

I will say that out of all the characters in the original group, he had the least focus/development. Even Sophia had more lines. But since then the show has a bunch of relevant black characters with lines/stories/etc.

The jokes write themselves.

1450327_10151717984481356_255786538_n.png

DigitalOp

Banned
And too bad in almost every single one of your examples. I'm willing to bet within those groups there were some who blamed themselves. I'm willing to be there was a Jewish person in that concentration camp who broke and felt like he deserved to be in there. I bet during the interment camps a Japanese American broke and felt s/he deserved to be there.

While your Doctor Phil-esque statements might have some truth to it, by being empathetic towards the person you have a better chance of convincing them that they're current thoughts about themselves relative to their situation isn't permanent and things get better and they have no reason to blame themselves. Being a hardass selfish douche only does nothing but further their self hatred.

You're welcome for that tidbit of knowledge, consider it a gift.

It seems were both arguing for the same thing. Just a different route to get there.

I'm saying we can't be telling people that shit is okay. Because it's not. End of Story.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom