• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fox is changing the landscape for black men on TV

Status
Not open for further replies.

Emwitus

Do any of the marvel movies have black characters? Oh wait............Fury. LOL

Edit: And Don cheadle oops. They shouldn't have replaced the actor from iron man 1 tho. I love cheadle but I just can't see him as an action hero.

Do any of the marvel movies have black characters? Oh wait............Fury. LOL

Edit: And Don cheadle oops. They shouldn't have replaced the actor from iron man 1 tho. I love cheadle but I just can't see him as an action hero.

Falcon in Captain America: WS but we all know he'll spend most of the movie getting his ass kicked or incapacitated

inm8num2

Winston shouldn't be an example of a positive. From the few episodes i've seen of the show he's the black guy who's only really there to appeal to black people and do black things like date black characters. He's the definition of token.

Winston's whiter than Schmidt, and his last girlfriend was Asian.

y2dvd

Winston shouldn't be an example of a positive. From the few episodes i've seen of the show he's the black guy who's only really there to appeal to black people and do black things like date black characters. He's the definition of token.

Is he? He dates an Asian girl, had a white girl take interest in him, looks like he can play the slick, suave black guy but is instead hella goofy and to me is just another cast member on the show. What does he do that makes him the "token black guy"?

And I'm not sure why TWD is getting attacked. Maybe they do have that one black guy at a time deal. I just see it as most characters are pretty terribly written most of the times, but there is a strong black female character who is totally likable now if that counts for anything. 2 really.

ReiGun

I only just starting watching New Girl. Why did Winston replace Coach? Coach wasn't a bad character, so I assume it was something to do with the actor.

foxtrot3d

Banned
Yup, Fox has been pretty good for a while now with black characters, loved me David Palmer and also Wayne Palmer in 24, and also Curtis Manfield.

Which always reminds me of a story Dennis Haybert (the actor who played President Palmer) tells. I think he stated he was at some fundraising event for Obama, though I can't remember if he was President yet, and he forgot his ID badge to enter. So, he walks up to the Secret Service agent and politely asks if he "knows who he is?" The Secret Service Agent replies "sure, you're the President." After they both have a good laugh he explains his situation and the agent tells him that it shouldn't be a problem and that he can go in.

Of course,
they did kill off all of these characters but it is 24 so pretty much everyone has to die at some point besides Jack and Chloe.

Sol..

I am Wayne Brady.
Arrow has had multiple black people; just most of them aren't really major. There's Dig, Walter, Dig's sis in law, Amanda Waller, Laurel's friend, Bronze Tiger, and the Mayor. Of those, only Dig and Walter have been really developed, and Walter is barely on the show. The last two are villains, Waller was just introduced, and the other two chicks disappeared into the ether. :/

Really, any minority played character that is not dig gets only a tiny amount of screen time then up and disappears for some generic reason. It's kind of annoying because characters like China White and whoever the fuck Michael Jai White was playing really needs to be on screen more often.

You gotta watch more. The gags they write for the Winston character is not your typical lot for black characters. He's one of the more absurd (in a good way) characters on the show. But I will admit, the character started off pretty damn stereotypical.

Snake

I only just starting watching New Girl. Why did Winston replace Coach? Coach wasn't a bad character, so I assume it was something to do with the actor.

Coach's actor had signed on to both Happy Endings and New Girl. When Happy Endings (which came first) got renewed for a second season, I guess he had to focus on that show. So they wrote him out of New Girl.

y2dvd

He was only in the pilot because he jumped ships and went with another show that has since been cancelled.

*edit:beaten

ReiGun

Damon Wayans Jr's other show got picked up for a 2nd season.

Coach's actor had signed on to both Happy Endings and New Girl. When Happy Endings (which came first) got renewed for a second season, I guess he had to focus on that show. So they wrote him out of New Girl.

He was only in the pilot because he jumped ships and went with another show that has since been cancelled.

*edit:beaten

Thanks all.

Dany

Banned
Fox deserves the pat on the back they're getting. They did the same in the late 80's and early 90's by actually broadcasting and airing shows made by and starring african americans.

ZeroFate

Grey's Anatomy has always had a pretty diverse cast and special guests almost always include gay & interracial families that don't adhere to crazy stereotypes. If only the show wasn't such crap. :p

Toa TAK

Banned
And I'm not sure why TWD is getting attacked. Maybe they do have that one black guy at a time deal. I just see it as most characters are pretty terribly written most of the times, but there is a strong black female character who is totally likable now if that counts for anything. 2 really.

Four, actually, with Bob, Michonne, Tyreese, and Sasha. Michonne being the queen of them.

But yeah, none of that matters unless the characters are good.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
I think walking dead has become aware of their One Black Man character problem.

For sure. The first two seasons had one black (background) character (two if you count Jacqui, who was somehow even further in the background than T-Dog so most people forget she existed) and the third season did have an unfortunate revolving door of black men, but it really seems like they're aware of these issues now in season 4. We've got 4 black main characters this year (2 guys and 2 wommenz) and it seems unlikely that they'll kill any of them off anytime soon. They're definitely making strides in this area and I think people should commend them for that.

~Devil Trigger~

In favor of setting Muslim women on fire
FOX has always been better with TV in terms of pushing the envelop and diversity.

Married With Children
Living Single
Martin!
PJ's
...etc

Jackpot

Banned
Think about what you just typed. Read it. Understand why I made that statement.

The world is giving you shit. So apparently in your mind, you have to give yourself shit too.

That will always be worse than a gas chamber. Sad truth.

So anyone who was ever bullied or abused to the extent that the indulged in being angry at themselves instead of their tormentors felt 1000x worse than being put inside one of the cruellest mass extermination systems in human history.

Think about what you just typed.

Bgamer90

Banned
What's up with the dude saying he hates being black? Fuck that. That type of shit is 1000x worse than any racisim ever endured .

I can't get down with that at all.

Agree but I understand where he's coming from. It's an issue -- especially with Black females.

But yeah, Fox is definitely the best major network in terms of diversity in major roles. The network has pretty much been that way since its existence.

I mean, back during the early '90s (when the network was still new) you had shows like In Living Color, Martin, and Living Single.

Slayven

Agreed.

But yeah, Fox is definitely the best major network in terms of diversity in major roles. The network has pretty much been that way since its existence.

I mean, back during the early '90s (when the network was still new) you had shows like In Living Color, Martin, and Living Single.

People forget NY undercover.

Thursdays was good shit. Martin, than living single, than NY Undercover. And that was all we talked about at school on Fridays.

The WB had a similar lineup on Wednesdays with Steve Harvey and some other shows. And then you realize that all of those shows were on the same night

Gorillaz

Interesting that they called out Shonda's work. I feel she doesn't always get called out for her 1D characters and story telling because she's one of the bigger writers out there. At least it doesn't seem like it.

Fox had Martin..so they will always get love lol

Broyles was awesome on Fringe. Another Fox show.

I don't get the love for Winston in that article. He seemed like he was consciously added to the show to keep from inviting comparisons to shows like Friends which was reamed for its lack of diversity. I think he just serves as the token black friend if nothing else.

I'd also like to state that Fox may be the go to case when it comes to basic television, but HBO has offered nuanced black characters for ages now.

Winston is my favorite character on the show. It was Schmidt, but he's a bit of an asshole this season.

I'm glad this is happening.I have been wondering why Arrow has TWO black characters and at most TWO Asians. Walking Dead is also mostly white, as is agents of SHIELD.

The overwhelming whiteness of Agents of SHIELD bothers me in every episode, which is sad because Ming-Na Wen is Chinese and Chloe Bennett is half-Chinese. And they've had two solid black characters guest-star on the show that could be slotted into the cast.

I would, but Land.

It'll be fixed soon.

DigitalOp

Banned
So anyone who was ever bullied or abused to the extent that the indulged in being angry at themselves instead of their tormentors felt 1000x worse than being put inside one of the cruellest mass extermination systems in human history.

Think about what you just typed.

That doesn't excuse the travesty of the worlds horrors, by no means.

But when you start fueling your misery with self loathing, you bring about the demise of your own self. Honestly, you are all you got in this world. When you give up on yourself, what hope do you have left? None.

You dont justify your tormenters fucked up prenotions. That will never be the answer. They only torture you more!!! I'd rather die proud with faith in myself than live a self depreciating life. The minute we stop ENABLING and condoning this behavior, we can start helping others who are struggling with this mindset overcome their disdain. We can show them that blaming themselves for their situations is NOT the answer. Its NOT the solution. It will NEVER be. It brings you more pain and heartache than the travesty that put you there in the first place.

My ancestral lineage did not overcome years of painstaking labor and torment by blaming themselves...

Jews did not endure years disgusting treatment and abuse by blaming themselves...

Native Americans didn't cope with a literal takeover by blaming themselves

Muslim Americans who were ridiculed and stigmatized after 9/11 attacks didn't persevere by blaming themselves

Hell, Americans didn't blame themselves either for those attacks that day.

We have to stop this empathic response to self wallowing. It literally brings no comfort and you only continue to allow the person to drown in despair.

It takes people a place where very very very few ever return.

I remember Martin, Living Single, and New York Undercover was the shit on Fox. Thurs or Friday night lineup. Fox isn't new to this.

Slayven

That doesn't excuse the travesty of the worlds horrors, by no means.

But when you start fueling your misery with self loathing, you bring about the demise of your own self. Honestly, you are all you got in this world. When you give up on yourself, what hope do you have left? None.

You dont justify your tormenters fucked up prenotions. That will never be the answer. They only torture you more!!! I'd rather die proud with faith in myself than live a self depreciating life. The minute we stop ENABLING and condoning this behavior, we can start helping others who are struggling with this mindset overcome their disdain. We can show them that blaming themselves for their situations is NOT the answer. Its NOT the solution. It will NEVER be. It brings you more pain and heartache than the travesty that put you there in the first place.

My ancestral lineage did not overcome years of painstaking labor and torment by blaming themselves...

Jews did not endure years disgusting treatment and abuse by blaming themselves...

Native Americans didn't cope with a literal takeover by blaming themselves

Muslim Americans who were ridiculed and stigmatized after 9/11 attacks didn't persevere by blaming themselves

Hell, Americans didn't blame themselves either for those attacks that day.

We have to stop this empathic response to self wallowing. It literally brings no comfort and you only continue to allow the person to drown in despair.

It takes people a place where very very very few ever return.

Wellll....um hum...

Arrow has had multiple black people; just most of them aren't really major. There's Dig, Walter, Dig's sis in law, Amanda Waller, Laurel's friend, Bronze Tiger, and the Mayor. Of those, only Dig and Walter have been really developed, and Walter is barely on the show. The last two are villains, Waller was just introduced, and the other two chicks disappeared into the ether. :/

WAIT. THE WALL IS ON THIS SHOW?

*looks*

Um…happy that Cynthia Addai-Robinson is getting work, but damn I miss fat old Waller. I miss the comic book character who went toe to toe with Granny Goodness. I miss the cartoon character who called Batman "rich boy". Damn you nu52.

Also:

Whenever I hear that there is a black man named Winston on the New Girl, I keep expecting a Ghostbusters joke.

And:

Agents of SHIELD needs to bring back J. August Richards and Ron Glass as regulars. It'll be like a Whedon reunion.

People always ignore Day Break.

hug brother :(
WAIT. THE WALL IS ON THIS SHOW?

*looks*

Um…happy that Cynthia Addai-Robinson is getting work, but damn I miss fat old Waller. I miss the comic book character who went toe to toe with Granny Goodness. I miss the cartoon character who called Batman "rich boy". Damn you nu52.

yeah, she had a small appearance last week. The actress playing her, which is the new Naevia from Sparacus, was decent but it would have been more satisfying if was CCH Pounder playing her instead. She would had been perfected for the role :(

Broyles in Fringe was excellent. Not a stereotype in the least and was always commanding when on screen.

Also, Jasika Nicole (an African American female) was definitely protrayed as nowhere near a stereotype but rather as an intelligent and strong side character.

I kinda consider Dorian to be the main lead of Almost Human, or at the very least equal to the Urb, but yeah, that whole synthetic-quip was pretty neat.

Toxi

Banned
Almost Human is science fiction, where a robot cop and a human cop are teamed up. (Michael Ealy, who is black, plays the android.)
Oh wow, glad to see they managed to make it not racist. Jesus, that premise sounds like a land mine.

Figboy79

Aftershock LA
Thursdays was good shit. Martin, than living single, than NY Undercover. And that was all we talked about at school on Fridays.

Pretty much.

Fox in the 90's was my channel. I don't think I paid attention to shit else outside of Saturday night live.

But between Martin, Living Single, New York Undercover, ROC, Married with Children, The Simpsons, and The X-Files, I didn't need any other network. Lol. Well, Warner Bros had me covered after school with Animaniacs, Tiny Toon Adventures, and Batman The Animated Series.

I'm not the biggest fan of network television anymore, but Almost Human was very good, Brooklyn 9-9 is frigging hilarious, and Sleepy Hollow is stupid, but I can't stop watching, as I enjoy the three leads. I have serious issues with FOX in other areas, but I'm enjoying their latest crop of shows.

I've also opened up to other shows like Once Upon A Time from other networks. I prefer Showtime, HBO, and Netflix, though, personally.

This article was a great read. As a black male, I appreciate seeing this discussion finally happening in the media, and television, and hopefully film, will look deeper into their casting choices, and not just for black males, but other minorities as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom