• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fragile Dreams: Farewell Ruins of the Moon (Wii) Pre-Order Bonus CD and Dual-Boxart

ivysaur12

Banned
If it wasn't coming out in March, I'd be there day 1. Not so sure anymore.

But the boxart is really beautiful. I letter it better than the JP one, actually.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
MidnightScott said:
Wow Yakuza 3, Pokemon, Fragile, and Red Steel 2 in March. :eek:

Don't remind me. :/ I'm almost hoping Red Steel 2 isn't that great. :lol

Doorman

heringer said:
Oh no you didn't.
Ironic isn't it? First people complain about the lack of quality in "core" third party games for why they don't sell well. Now in January we see Tatsunoko vs. Capcom and No More Heroes 2 release on the same day, both quality "core" third party games. Now March comes and we see Fragile and Red Steel 2 both come out, with Monster Hunter Tri right on their heels. Suddenly it's not a lack of interesting games that'll deter sales, but simply a lack of money to afford them all! :lol

I'd love to own and support all of the games I just listed, but I just don't have the money for it. Curse you, timing!

farnham

Banned
GREAT looking game

GREAT soundtrack

and the voice acting is surprisingly good

now the only thing thats holding me back is the supposedly aweful gameplay

Hero of Legend said:
Is... is that the voice of Marta (Laura Bailey) voicing possibly the silver-haired girl?! :lol

Certainly sounds like Laura Bailey, that should mean Ren will have high quality VA at the least.

DarkPanda

Thanks for the bump, I've been waiting for the US release ever since the game was announced and I totally missed this news. I can't believe the release date is so soon! I gotta remember to get my ass to gamestop and pre-order. The music sounds really nice so far; I wouldn't mind having it on a CD.

Mr. Hyde

farnham said:
GREAT looking game

GREAT soundtrack

and the voice acting is surprisingly good

now the only thing thats holding me back is the supposedly aweful gameplay

I've heard about the gameplay being average at best, but luckily for me I've been wanting it for the isolated looking world. The music also helps. I hope the game is a decent length.

I'm very surprised at the English voice acting. Since the characters are all emotional and whatnot I thought a lot of that would get lost it translation, but thankfully I'm wrong. Great job, Xseed!

zigg

Wow, that trailer was pretty impressive, actually.

So cool to have this game finally coming out! I'd written it off what feels like years ago...

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
Damn you, March 16th!!

March 16 - Resonance of Fate
March 16 - Infinite Space
March 16 - Fragile
March 16 - God of War 3
March 16 - Command & Conquer 4

With Pokémon coming out two days before, Perfect Dark HD coming out the next day, and Red Steel 2 coming out a week later! And just a week after Yakuza 3 and FF13! WTF

I'd like to get Fragile, it looks sweet, but I'm already buying five games in March. I don't know if I can justify any more...

Metiphis

Danthrax said:
Damn you, March 16th!!

March 16 - Fragile
March 16 - God of War 3

With Pokémon coming out two days before, Perfect Dark HD coming out the next day, and Red Steel 2 coming out a week later! And just a week after Yakuza 3 and FF13! WTF

I'd like to get Fragile, it looks sweet, but I'm already buying five games in March. I don't know if I can justify any more...

Whoa it's Danthrax! Heya. And yes I have an avalanche of games destroying my time as well.

Kevtones

Danthrax said:
Damn you, March 16th!!

March 16 - Fragile
March 16 - God of War 3

2nd christmas, or 3rd, or 4th?

This game picked the worst time to be released, which is why I'm saddened to say that I may have to skip it and wait for another day to snag a copy. :(

Looks pretty cool though. I love the atmosphere and the mysteriousness about it, which is why I enjoyed Dead Space and Fallout 3 so much because of that unknown factor.

Combat looks shallow but who cares about that. The exploration gameplay will be the selling point. Hope it's compelling as it looks.

zigg

The way I see it, it's a different kind of game from what I've been playing. Most of the rest of what's out this month, not so much. I like to keep things mixed up. So, yeah, this is my second half of March game.

The US boxart looks great, actually. It gives off a great atmosphere. Just as good as the Japanese one if you ask me... and you get both anyway! It's a win-win.

Ricker

Trying to find this game and Lunar PSP in the Montreal area is going to be a pain...Shiren Wii is still nowhere to be found around here...

Looks interesting,the bit when they say the same thing at the same time,almost in harmony was well done...

GeekyDad

Was really intrigued when I first caught a glimpse of this game, what, like two years ago. Kinda got worried, though, when some folks started reporting issues with the controls. Been watching videos recently of Japanese gameplay, and now I'm psyched again. From what I can gather, attacking is mapped to the A button, so that's an automatic plus. It also looks more like an adventure game than a traditional action JRPG. I can't wait. Not buying it outright (renting from Gamefly), but if my wife likes it as well, who knows...

Between the story and atmosphere, the game feels like if they'd taken Silent Hill and mashed it with WALL-E.

BorkBork

The Legend of BorkBork: BorkBorkity Borking
Have it preordered. Looking forward to it, hopefully it will meet my moderate expectations.

I generally don't care about reviews, but Nintendo Power gave this a 5.5. I think at this point I'd only spring for the game at $20 or less.

comedy bomb said:
I generally don't care about reviews, but Nintendo Power gave this a 5.5. I think at this point I'd only spring for the game at $20 or less.

Yeah, I'll probably bite at $30.

I pre-ordered just to get the soundtrack and I'll refund in a day or two (yes, I got the soundtrack when I pre-ordered).

I am concerned about the style-over-substance situation.

botticus

comedy bomb said:
Oh good lord... is there a thread for that issue yet or do you have a summary?

GeekyDad

Here's the NP scoop from "around the Web":

- sloppy combat
- poor design decisions
- "In an adventure driven by story and mood, all the gameplay needed to do was stay out of the way."
- randomly breaking weapons
- strictly limited inventory space
- final third of the game is generic and focuses on the combat
- game is not completely dismissed, but has serious flaws

I think ONM, however, scored the game at 72%.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
botticus said:

They really hated the combat, and didn't take kindly to the weapon degradation. But the review was so short they didn't really justify the score that well. Still optimistic.

botticus

GeekyDad said:
Here's the NP scoop from "around the Web":

- sloppy combat
- poor design decisions
- "In an adventure driven by story and mood, all the gameplay needed to do was stay out of the way."
- randomly breaking weapons
- strictly limited inventory space
- game is not completely dismissed, but has serious flaws

I think ONM, however, scored the game at 72%.
That part seems to be the biggest potential concern for me.

botticus said:

- Great art and writing undermined by sloppy combat and poor design decisions
- clumsy, button mashy combat, randomly breaking weapons, and strictly limited inventory
- final 1/3 of game focuses on combat, which makes completing the game a chore.
- serious flaws but shouldn't be dismissed entirely
- thought provoking, original, and visually distinctive
- isn't any fun.

Edit :beaten lol

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
comedy bomb said:

I'm thinking the same. The combat I've seen in a couple videos looked clunky and frustrating.

It's sad that a game with good writing and art is hampered by bad gameplay. =\

GeekyDad said:

Now I'm sad, the style of this game is wonderful and I had expected the focus to be firmly on the story. I think I'll probably cancel my pre-order and get this after a price drop now, I suppose some US eBay sellers will be selling the pre-order soundtrack so I can always import that seperately.

duckroll

No really surprising. Tri-Crescendo has developed 3 games so far, and co-developed 2. The only games which are really good in terms of gameplay were both Baten Kaitos games which they co-developed with Monolithsoft. Eternal Sonata, Fragile and Blue Dragon Awakened Shadow all have really shitty combat and poor gameplay design along with excellent graphics and art direction. Tri-Crescendo just isn't that hot. :p

EDarkness

Azure Phoenix said:
Now I'm sad, the style of this game is wonderful and I had expected the focus to be firmly on the story. I think I'll probably cancel my pre-order and get this after a price drop now, I suppose some US eBay sellers will be selling the pre-order soundtrack so I can always import that seperately.

Probably for the best. It'll be good to at least see the intro level stuff, but the game itself just isn't fun. A shame, too, since the game is very pretty. They should have left it an adventure game and got rid of all the combat stuff, either that or made some good combat. It's really sad, considering how much potential the game had.

Durante

duckroll said:
No really surprising. Tri-Crescendo has developed 3 games so far, and co-developed 2. The only games which are really good in terms of gameplay were both Baten Kaitos games which they co-developed with Monolithsoft. Eternal Sonata, Fragile and Blue Dragon Awakened Shadow all have really shitty combat and poor gameplay design along with excellent graphics and art direction. Tri-Crescendo just isn't that hot. :p
Eternal Sonata combat wasn't shitty, it just takes even longer (at least relative to game length) than, say, FF13, to unlock the entire system.

Mr. Hyde

I'm not too worried. I expected the game play to be average. I've heard you only need one type of weapon through the whole game, so my focus won't be too much on collecting different weapons. I guess after enjoying games such as rule of rose immensely, I can handle some faults in a game with good atmosphere.

duckroll said:
Haha. I'm sure I've seen the reverse argument made on these forums before, that Monolith's solo games show Tri-Crescendo was the one with talent in Baten Kaitos. But maybe they both suck solo.

duckroll

Durante said:
Eternal Sonata combat wasn't shitty, it just takes even longer (at least relative to game length) than, say, FF13, to unlock the entire system.

It's definitely shitty. The system doesn't unlock either, it just gets worse. It starts out with amazing potential, being turn based and with the "enemy moves as you move" AP system ala VP2. Then very quickly the game starts to drop into a pool of it's own turd by "upgrading" it into a realtime button spam fest. It's not fun, it's simplistic, and it is a piece of shit. I will fight you and your entire family over this issue!

JoshuaJSlone said:
Haha. I'm sure I've seen the reverse argument made on these forums before, that Monolith's solo games show Tri-Crescendo was the one with talent in Baten Kaitos. But maybe they both suck solo.

At least Monolithsoft's games sell. So even if some people want to shit on them, no one can deny they are at least marketable and can pull sales. One cannot say the same thing of Tri-Crescendo! :lol

GeekyDad

The thing that confuses me now about this game is, is it an RPG or more of an adventure game? I was expecting an action JRPG, but after watching about the first hour of gameplay, it looks like more of an action adventure, which, oddly enough, has me more interested in the game.

jay

JoshuaJSlone said:

Yes, that was me. Other people may like the characters and story from those games but they were shitty. The two Baten Kaitos games were good because of the Tri-Crescendo made battle systems. Maybe Monolith is good at refusing to accept crappy battle systems and so whips Tri-Crescendo into shape when they collaborate.

duckroll said:
It's definitely shitty. The system doesn't unlock either, it just gets worse. It starts out with amazing potential, being turn based and with the "enemy moves as you move" AP system ala VP2. Then very quickly the game starts to drop into a pool of it's own turd by "upgrading" it into a realtime button spam fest. It's not fun, it's simplistic, and it is a piece of shit. I will fight you and your entire family over this issue!

At least Monolithsoft's games sell. So even if some people want to shit on them, no one can deny they are at least marketable and can pull sales. One cannot say the same thing of Tri-Crescendo! :lol

Let's fight.

The upgrading system seems like a turn-off, but the overall benefits with each upgrade made it worthwhile and more fun.

Things like taking away the pre-movement time didn't bother me, since I quickly got used to planning ahead before my next turn, paying closer attention to the Next indicator. The shortened time you get to perform your actions didn't bother me either, since you only lose one second, and they DOUBLE your movement speed.

The randomized button thing turned me off when I first heard about it, but then when I discovered it only always randomizes three specific buttons, and only after performing harmony chains, it didn't bother me anymore either. The upgrade associated with it was incredible, and I got used to the button swapping after THREE battles.

Change your attitude about it man. It's actually a very well done game.

radiantdreamer said:
The shortened time you get to perform your actions didn't bother me either, since you only lose one second, and they DOUBLE your movement speed.

You could also more than make up for this with certain characters. Equip Falsetto with Tyr's Left Arm, Werewolf Choker and the Pocket Watch and she gains a huge amount of turn time back per hit plus double echoes. I think you could get about 15-20 standard hits before the end of the turn, at which point you had more than enough echoes to fire off a maximum strength six harmony chain.

There was a lot more to that battle system if you used your held items correctly worked on your battle strategies, to the point where all normal fights could be won in a single round and bosses could be eliminated in a couple of rounds.

Top Bottom