• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Free! Swimming Anime |OT| Where Wet Dreams Come True

Status
Not open for further replies.

Misuta

EP11

This episode had so many feels, I can't even.

The scene with Rin and Rei was super intense as I thought. Thumbs up to the VAs (Mamoru Miyano und Daisuke Hirakawa) and their performance. At the beginning I thought Rin would strike first but I was surprised it was Rei who slammed him against the wall. It's good he asked all the questions why Rin behaves like a stubborn person.

The moment where Nagisa tried to kill Haru with a melon pan was...strange lol. How can Haru loose so much moisture by eating a melon bread? I thought how is this possible until somebody said to me that Haru has a low tolerance for sweet things.

Aww, Haru's confession to Makoto and Nagisa was really cute. It was nice to see him smiling and he needs to talk more often to his friends and especially to Rin so everyone can be happy again.

The biggest shock was that Rin doesn't paticipate in the relay. Now I really want to know what will happen to him later.

I can't believe there is only one episode left and then it's over. :( I hope we'll get a second season. Please~

The biggest shock was that Rin doesn't paticipate in the relay. Now I really want to know what will happen to him later.
I feel like they were completely setting up Rin to join the relay team with the boys (and not "officially" compete because they're two different schools, setting up how its been more about friendship than competition) but they didn't set up a reason why Rei would give up his slot.

Anything could happen! I lived that little post credit twist!

I can't believe there is only one episode left and then it's over. :( I hope we'll get a second season. Please~

Hopefully its selling tons of merchandises, musics, and discs, unless the creator just cant think of anymore plot. I wouldnt mind 12 more episodes of all five on the same team competing and swimming all fun like, especially Rin and Haru finally. Or they could introduce more schools, since they cant just throw Seijuro and Nitori away.

Chuck

Still without luck
That sucked. Fuck Rin. He didn't deserve to be in that race in any fucking way. Go back to losing in Australia you psychotic douchebag.

I guess the free lesson to be learned is be an asshole and you'll eventually get what you want.

Awful.

Chuck

Still without luck
It really is the worst kind of ending they could have done. I can't think of much else that would be worse, can you?

edit: can someone please explain to me why Rin is liked? I can't figure out the enjoyment of a nasty character for no reason other than to be nasty.

Ep 12 [END]

The final episode definitely delivered on every single good aspect of this anime and managed to complete trump everything that came before it. The excellent story was essentially one of the storylines that I never thought would be tackled before in anime. Certainly the way it was handled was executed so well that it was potentially the most connected Ive ever been with characters in the entertainment media arena. The dialogue was also amazing.
tumblr_mtqc4gZEGa1suldqbo2_500.png
tumblr_mtqc4gZEGa1suldqbo3_500.png

The turmoil and challenges that Rin faced all throughout finally culminating in this final episode got to me real good
and made me cry quite hard there when all his anger flowed out. I just wanted to give him a hug or someone to give him a hug as he realized he may not potentially be able to swim there. I was prepared for a sad ending but then out of nowhere, Haru, of all characters, fortunately goes the extra mile to help him out and be the catalyst to push him forward. Delivering the true moment for the two without any Makoto involvement whatso ever was the most pleasing thing I could have ever asked for. Rin crying got me so much and then the canon moment there with them on top of each other and Rin's tears flowing onto Haru's face, and Haru helping pull him back together. Im just so glad Haru helped him make things happen and then the tearful hug and Haru's eyes.

I think its the capstone moment in storytelling in anime completely capturing the ideal friendship that is a part of the spiritus mundi of the current times. Truly we need more pure heartfelt stories likes and I really hope we get to see more. Really amazing story. easily the best anime Ive ever watched honestly.

Wow.. can't believe this thread died after episode 12! I was a bit disappointed in the ending.. was suspecting a surprise twist or something.. substantial in any way. Not terrible but they really didn't do much of enough to make Rin a likeable character.

Misuta

EP12 (Finale)

I was emotionally moved by this episode. I was slightly pissed off that Rei didn’t participate in the relay but he did it for the team. Kudos for him being so considerate but somehow I have the feeling that he was excluded again. I feel so sorry for him. Hopefully he swims with the others in a relay in the second season again.

The swimming scenes were trippy as hell. Did they take any drugs or something? XD Anyway, the animations were as always very beautiful to look and I found the ED song nice, too. I lol'd at the scene where Makoto was butt naked for a few sceonds after he jumped in the pool (animation error).

I’m glad the boys are together with Rin again (group hug, yay!). They are disqualfied from the race, sure but they didn't care about it. They got their old friend back whom they have missed very much.

I expected Haru to say „I’m free“. Why was that left out? That would have been nicer if he had said that.

*sob* I will definitely miss them until next summer.

hu3xglPl.jpg

Just finished watching the first season. I enjoyed it quite a lot, but I don't like what they did with Rin at the end. He didn't deserve a spot on the Iwatobi team. He didn't work all year with the rest of them like Rei did. (P.S. Rin sucks.)

But besides that, I was happy with what they are setting up for next season. I hope we see a lot more of the side characters. (Seijuro, Gou, Chigusa, Ama-Chan & Goro specifically. I don't care about Nitori.) They'll probably need to introduce at least one more character for Samezuka, to round out the relay team.

Also, put Rei back in speedos please.

Just finished watching the first season. I enjoyed it quite a lot, but I don't like what they did with Rin at the end. He didn't deserve a spot on the Iwatobi team. He didn't work all year with the rest of them like Rei did. (P.S. Rin sucks.)

But besides that, I was happy with what they are setting up for next season. I hope we see a lot more of the side characters. (Seijuro, Gou, Chigusa, Ama-Chan & Goro specifically. I don't care about Nitori.) They'll probably need to introduce at least one more character for Samezuka, to round out the relay team.

Also, put Rei back in speedos please.
I guess they could add another school as well maybe.
I had wanted Rin to transfer to Iwatobi with Haru.

New character for season 2.

GBJIApz.jpg

I approve, but what's with the freakin' pants? Speedos for life. (Seijuro is still #1 for that reason.)

There was some plot details shared for it from various interviews

FREE ~Eternal Summer~ SPOILERS SO FAR:

New character is a close friend of Rin’s
Sousuke is taller than Makoto
There’s also a marine creature for Sousuke
Rin and Sousuke’s relationship will be highlighted
The past of the two will appear
Second season is about team battle
The theme is Swimming x Future x Upper Body
There’s the possibility of changing swimsuits
Utsumi wants to delve more into the different emotional aspects of Nagisa
There might be a change in the relationship between Makoto and Haruka
They will show the differences between the relationship Haruka & Makoto compared with the relationship between Rin & Sousuke
Samezuka’s side will get an increase in screentime
Lots of new named Samezuka characters will appear
Captain Mikoshiba will now look at Rin & co. from a different position

Misuta

Free! Eternal Summer E1

The new opening sounds less edgy than Rage On! but it has still the amazing animation like in season 1. The ED theme is not as catchy as Splash Free! but you can’t top it anyway because it is perfect. Though I liked the theme where the boys were shown in their occupations (Haru -> chef, Makoto -> fireman, Rin -> policeman, Rei -> scientist, Nagisa -> astronaut) and holy shit, Rin’s dance moves are hot. How is this even possible?

The episode has got some parallels with the first episode from S1 that brings back the nostalgia. I cringed at the scene where they presented their club to the student body because their arm waggling looked so ridiculous. It was too embarrassing to watch.

Let’s see how Sousuke will be in the future episodes. In the beginning he looked like the protagonist of Watch Dogs. XD

Overall a nice episode with a genki Rin who interacts more with the Iwatobis.

Ep1
tumblr_n83c95O5iC1r2en1ko5_500.jpg
tumblr_n83gtfDKqs1s2tcauo4_500.png

I was afraid even Free would suffer like other anime do in second seasons and be less good but the episode was so amazing all around. Better than all my expectations and as a Rin fan it was perfect, hes so good when hes displaying all ranges of emotions. The ed clips too are great especially the scene with the cake and haru with him there.

I hope the anime wont make them graduate and go separate ways, Ill cry so much :( The signals it seems to be sending in the OP and some of the lines.
Flowers going separate ways, the last chance this year, Rin asking Haru what and where he will go next :( People being angry and sad in some moments in the OP :(

Watched the first ep of S1 this evening after having put it off for a couple of months. The lull in summer is probably why I feel like finally sitting down to watch this.

I enjoyed it, actually kinda mixed on how I feel about the dubstep, but overall I did really like it. I'll probably try to binge through it this weekend.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom