• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Free to Play Halo Online (Saber, H3 eng) announced, only for Russia [First Info]

Synth

this was never done and was outside of dewrito's capability anyway

the same type of tool (XBC, Kai, etc) used to play Halo 2 LAN over the internet was also not called circumventing Live nor ever called piracy. Nor was using it to play 360 games' LAN modes online called piracy, even though you had to circumvent Microsoft's LAN ping check to do it.

you could openly download the client directly from microsoft with no extra software.

The software was for modifying and playing private games, not for piracy, was never capable of piracy, and does not give you paid anything for free.

I made the PSO2 comparison for a reason, as it matches this scenario pretty closely (the full client is given to you for free).

Halo 2 is a poor comparison, because the game was never given to you under the stipulation that it be used on Xbox Live. You bought it outright, and they got paid when you did. XLink Kai simply meant that you didn't use their other service. This isn't the case with Halo Online... the service and the game are one, it doesn't have a "LAN" mode. Removing one to freely play the other is stealing the others revenue stream directly. I don't care what bits you decide to play, or ignore in the game.. the game itself should not be playable in any fashion when you're not connected to their server, and playing as part of their population/ecosystem.

In any case, the previous thread regarding this ended with a modbot post making NeoGAF's standing on the subject pretty clear:

ModBot said:
This seems like a good time to end this thread. Yes, circumventing a game's revenue stream is piracy. No, that is not something to be encouraged.

FyreWulff

Either way on the piracy or not, does anyone also think this is because REQs took off the way they did?

I think it's because they released it in Russia going up against native Russian F2P games when there's a significant Western market that would have fucking loved to have a recent Halo on PC.

Halo 2 PC doesn't even work anymore :/

Big Dog

Atleast it seems the official game client will be coming back in the future and wasn't completely dropped here. Hopefully in that time they can work out the monetization plan for the game and consider if they will also release the English game client. And a personal hope of mine is they add even more H3 maps than before and hope to draw people in with those.

Shame this is going down. From what I played of it it was fun. Couldn't understand anything and had to use a guide and my phone to translate options when I was testing it.

Yeah that was a downside for sure. Even though the client was only released for Russia, the English translation was fully included in the client yet there was no option to toggle for that. I'm sure there were at least a hand full of Russians (or just Russian residents) wishing they could have used English text. Maybe this was fixed in a more recent client version but I know this did not exist in the original client.

Zomba13

Shame this is going down. From what I played of it it was fun. Couldn't understand anything and had to use a guide and my phone to translate options when I was testing it.

Synth

What are REQs? Is this a halo 5 thing?
And how does this play into a game on a separate platform?

Yea, they're somewhat similar to burn cards in Titanfall, but you can buy packs with real money (like PvZ Garden Warfare). They only directly affect gameplay in the new more casual focused Warzone modes, leaving the standard arena based modes free from tampering. It's a pretty good compromise tbh, and a far better implementation than what Halo Online sounded like it was going for.

so with this dead, whats the legality of discussing the unofficial version? Cause there was a pretty significant update to that version and its a really solid game now

so with this dead, whats the legality of discussing the unofficial version? Cause there was a pretty significant update to that version and its a really solid game now
I'd say discuss it with no links or hints as to where to get it. That's the way tons of other forums do it and I haven't seen anything to suggest otherwise on this one.

I'd say discuss it with no links or hints as to where to get it. That's the way tons of other forums do it and I haven't seen anything to suggest otherwise on this one.

Yeah that would be good. Because the playerbase is still fairly small but the latest update has boosted it and itd be good to see some exposure for it here and maybe get some more people playing as its essentially H3 MP on PC

Yeah that would be good. Because the playerbase is still fairly small but the latest update has boosted it and itd be good to see some exposure for it here and maybe get some more people playing as its essentially H3 MP on PC
Yeah, I've seen and it looks like it's basically Halo 3 custom edition now.

I didn't think people would be interested in modding it but considering it's the Halo 3 engine there must've been a lot of "thirst" for it on PC, the development has been amazingly fast.

Anyone else getting weird audio issues with guns? A lot of the time when I shoot, there's no sound effect at all.

Had a look on the subreddit, but couldn't find much.

Anyone else getting weird audio issues with guns? A lot of the time when I shoot, there's no sound effect at all.

Had a look on the subreddit, but couldn't find much.

There is a bit of sound lag sometimes. Not sure if its related to actual lag, but ive experienced it a few times. Annoying, but not a game breaker

xHiryu

What the fuck, how did I just hear of this shit?! I love Halo 3 and the fact that it's apparently still going is awesome.

H5 is a LOT better than this trash.

Many of my Halo friends (with it since day one) are in the same camp. From an MP perspective, Halo 5 is one of the better ones no doubt for us. We weren't fond of 4- or some parts of Reach for that matter, but this one is going to get a lot of play time from us in the days to come.

Forgot this Russia F2P game was a thing. Interesting piece of software though.

Top Bottom