• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Friday Favorites: Boss Battle Music

I'm sitting here at work on a Friday, ready for the weekend, but the rest of the day is looming over me like a final boss. To fit the mood, I'm listening to all the great boss battle music I can get my hands on. A couple of tracks that come instantly to mind:

smithy.gif

Super Mario RPG - Fight Against Smithy
Boss music can be over-the-top dramatic or gloomy sometimes, but not Smithy. Though he was tough as nails to beat as a kid, this music got me pumped to try again. Tons of determination. Speaking of determination...

Undertale - Megalovania
Undertale manages to evoke those same feelings in so many battles, it's really impossible for me to choose a favorite. They all evoke some sense of simultaneous excitement and desperation, which fit the fast-paced fights quite well.

Final Fantasy VIII - Force Your Way
A lot of people don't care for FF8 very much (I'm in the minority), but it's not all bad. Take this boss fight music, for instance! Lots of energy and urgency here, and not too much drama. Final Fantasy games do this particularly well when they aim to, and FF8 was no exception.

Anyway, enough about me. What are your favorite boss battle themes? Remixes, originals, doesn't matter. Let's hear 'em, and take down this Friday together!

There are SO many for me to choose. Here are a couple I've been listening to recently.

Hellfire - Final Fantasy XV
An incredible endgame boss theme. Easily the hypest part of the game for me and the music really sells it.

Rivers in the Desert - Persona 5
Easily my favorite track in the series. Killer vocals and it's a song I can't get out of my head. Great late-game boss track. The style of music for P5 was already my jam but this takes it up to an 11.

Dark Impetus - Kingdom Hearts: Birth by Sleep
High energy theme with intense violin play. One of my favorite boss themes in the series and serves as a great track for one of the super-bosses.

No More Heroes is the king of this for me with all its boss themes but the best boss theme is Philistine for Margaret.

https://youtu.be/UFXqJ--L_Kk

latest

She's singing the song to Travis and its important to their conversations. The lyrics are from her point of view about Travis.

On YouTube if you search No More Heroes ost, soundtrack or song it's both the second and third song by view count. They're both close to Bad Girl's theme.

It's the song that has mattered most in any boss fight I've ever played.

It's also Catchy as Hell.

Blindy

Donkey Kong Country's Gang Plank Galleon I think has this on lockdown forever for me. Just a grand ol' time against a great villain, the music is just oozing personality and charm.

It's so good David Wise was wise enough to remix it for the sequel!

No More Heroes is the king of this for me with all its boss themes but the best boss theme is Philistine for Margaret.

https://youtu.be/UFXqJ--L_Kk

She's singing the song to Travis and its important to their conversations. The lyrics are from her point of view about Travis.
Wow, I'd never heard of this battle before, that sounds incredibly unique. Song is so catchy that I could see it being a radio hit. Awesome share, thanks!

Donkey Kong Country's Gang Plank Galleon I think has this on lockdown forever for me. Just a grand ol' time against a great villain, the music is just oozing personality and charm.

Oh man, I was so busy thinking about RPGs that I forgot all about this. Amazing track, and you're right, it inspired several more really good tracks in future games.

leakey

Yup. That and the final boss theme from Yoshi's Island immediately came to mind for me due to how markedly different they were from the rest of the OST for both games. It was the change-up!

Final Fantasy VIII - Force Your Way
A lot of people don't care for FF8 very much (I'm in the minority), but it's not all bad. Take this boss fight music, for instance! Lots of energy and urgency here, and not too much drama. Final Fantasy games do this particularly well when they aim to, and FF8 was no exception.

FFVIII's music is fantastic. I'm all about VI like most now cliche opinions, but the car in XV made me appreciate VIII's music even more... sounded so much more in tune with the game and less played out. The tracks are all tonally and stylistically cohesive too... they don't all feel like self-contained pieces unto themselves.

Have some rad JRPG final boss themes.

Shadow Hearts: Covenant- The Three Karma
FF6- Dancing Mad
Chrono Trigger- World Revolution
NIER- Shadowlord
Radiant Historia- An Earnest Desire for Grey

Dancing Mad is my favorite because it goes so well with the several parts of the fight.

Some non-JRPG ones,
Alpha Protocol-Turn Up the Radio
Shovel Knight- The Decadent Dandy
Witcher 3: Hearts of Stone- You're Immortal?
Castlevania- Dance of Illusions (There's several versions across the series, but I kind of like Arcade's the most funny enough)

Poppy

FFV final battle, clash on the big bridge
pokemon BW2 gym battle
pokemon Gen 4 champion battle
pokemon HG/SS gym and kanto gym battles
SMRPG fight against a somewhat stronger monster/fight against an armed boss
FF7 birth of god(bizarro sephiroth)
chrono cross prisoners of fate (people imprisoned by destiny)
chrono trigger world revolution
prettymuch anything from metal gear rising
kingdom hearts shrouding dark cloud
FFX a contest of aeons (summoned beast battle)

bonus non boss music because it is the best battle theme ever: SMT2 https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=TjKrUc_EalM

Zoator

I've been on a Persona kick recently, so I'll add these:

Persona 4 - Fog

Probably the most underappreciated track in Persona 4. I also wouldn't be surprised if Asgore from Undertale was inspired by this track, as there are similarities.

Persona 4 Golden - I'll Face Myself (Reincarnation)

Takes the main theme of Persona 4 (I'll Face Myself) and turns it into epic and sweeping battle music.

Persona 5 - Rivers in the Desert

Already mentioned, but deserves another shout-out. I've been listening to this pretty much every day since I've heard it in game.

GeNoMe

Rivers in the Desert - Persona 5
Easily my favorite track in the series. Killer vocals and it's a song I can't get out of my head. Great late-game boss track. The style of music for P5 was already my jam but this takes it up to an 11.

I've been on a Persona kick recently, so I'll add these:

Persona 5 - Rivers in the Desert

Already mentioned, but deserves another shout-out. I've been listening to this pretty much every day since I've heard it in game.

I can't get this song out of my head. Heard it for the first time yesterday. Great song!

Final Fantasy VI - Decisive Battle This is probably my favorite boss music of all time. Its fast, its a short loop, its catchy as fuck, the beat is interesting, and the bass almost sounds like a song of its own at times. Its also got that electric organ that was so much a part of the FF Uematsu era. Its just damn good.

Top Bottom