• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Friday Favorites: Boss Battle Music

JMY86

Bloodborne easily wins the crown for me for boss music this generation, there are some truly incredible tracks in that OST. Persona 5 boss music (along with the entire OST) is also incredible though. My all time boss music will probably go to NES Ninja Gaiden (along with my favorite OST) that track is simple, yet imposing and foreboding but still fucking incredible. I also really love the Bayou Billy and (Sunsoft) Batman boss music for some reason they really just sing to me. They are all so simple but I could listen to any of them for hours...

Rixiden

Neo Member
Secret of mana boss music all the way. Check out the cover by Norg titled "like a boss" of the spectrum of mana soundtrack

Secret of mana boss music all the way. Check out the cover by Norg titled "like a boss" of the spectrum of mana soundtrack
Secret of Mana always had some pretty intense boss fights, even despite the magic spam. I'm not sure they were difficult but for whatever reason, even compared to other SNES RPGs, whenever I finished a SoM boss it was something like, 'OK, breath.' I think it had to be that boss theme, in part.

And that second-to- final boss music...
- Dark Lich

Actually think it influenced my musical interests somewhat... Probably first time I had even heard anything somewhat industrial. That and Devil's Lab from FF VI.

daTRUballin

DodgeDusk

Trails in the Sky SC - The Fate of the Fairies.
The fact this piece is first played in the game's prologue is stattering.

Trails of Cold Steel II - Transcend Beat.
For the battles this track plays in, I think the more techno sound fits really well.

Persona Q - Friends.
Another great piece, though I prefer the Outakes version. Shame it's not used in-game.

Tales of Zestiria - Rising Up.
Honestly not a fan of Zestiria's music (or the game as a whole), but hearing this song in-game was nothing short of magical. What a fantastic moment.

Xenoblade Chronicles - Unfinished Battle.
Absolute travesty this sound only places once--and even then, it doesn't get looped. Captures the moment very well.

F31 Leopard

I fucking approve. One of the best pieces in the game. The best part is the remix of requiem towards the middle.

I don't think I've seen anyone else mention this song on this site.

Yeah, it's one if my favorite videogame tracks. I guess no one mentions it because people like to say the OST sucks and always focus on the same 3 tracks out of the 55. (Black Tar, NLA and Don't Worry)

Another boss theme I liked in XCX is The Telethia Endbringer.

https://youtu.be/NKCuAJdvynU

Wichu

I've seen some of my favorites posted by others so I'll try to post stuff I haven't seen posted yet.

New World Order [Granblue Fantasy]

Granblue Fantasy is one of those games I kinda want to try, but Fire Emblem Heroes is taking up my smartphone gaming time/gacha money (and my storage space - my cheap-arse phone only has enough internal storage for one game at a time). The music is a big part of that - I came across Rose Queen a few weeks ago, and the other songs I've heard from the game since are also great.

Just scanning the list of contributors, Uematsu and a bunch of the Xenoblade guys are on it; Rose Queen's vocals are by Haruka Shimotsuki of Ar Tonelico and Atelier fame. No wonder it's so good.

Granblue Fantasy is one of those games I kinda want to try, but Fire Emblem Heroes is taking up my smartphone gaming time/gacha money (and my storage space - my cheap-arse phone only has enough internal storage for one game at a time). The music is a big part of that - I came across Rose Queen a few weeks ago, and the other songs I've heard from the game since are also great.

Just scanning the list of contributors, Uematsu and a bunch of the Xenoblade guys are on it; Rose Queen's vocals are by Haruka Shimotsuki of Ar Tonelico and Atelier fame. No wonder it's so good.

Not to go too off-topic but Granblue Fantasy is on a whole different level of time investment compared to most other mobile games. It's basically a fully fledged JRPG with multiplayer elements. Check out the OT if you haven't already. :O

Top Bottom