• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Friday the 13th: The Game KickStarter: $700k, 1 vs7 MP. The game Sessler teased.

I backed this. Only 25 bucks but I really hope this makes goal. Do games that ever make this much initially ever NOT meet their goal?

Based on most of the smaller games I've backed that were successful this seems to be following the same pattern. Pretty good start that lasts for a few days, then a massive lull, but it will likely pick up a lot towards the end. It'll make its goal, but most of the stretch goals are likely out of reach.

Akronis

I can't believe that one of those stretch goals is 4.05 million. This KS seems like it's just going to squeak by on it's original goal.

MiguelItUp

Based on most of the smaller games I've backed that were successful this seems to be following the same pattern. Pretty good start that lasts for a few days, then a massive lull, but it will likely pick up a lot towards the end. It'll make its goal, but most of the stretch goals are likely out of reach.

Yeah, this is what I'm thinking. I've known a lot of people that don't bother pitching money in until the last few days of the campaign. So I think we're kind of experiencing the lull right now, I mean it's moving but not like it was. I think they're reaching too high with a lot of the stretch goals, which is a shame considering I'd love for them to be hit. At least as many of them as possible. All in all, all I care about is the game hitting its goal, and I think it's safe to say that it's going to.

Simo

21 days still left and they've crossed over the $500,000 threshold!

So as promised they revealed some of the stretch goals...
  • 700,000 - THE GAME IS MADE: The Game is completed as designed, with Jason Voorhees as the featured killer
  • 725,000 - MIRROR SMASH: Jason gets 7 years of bad luck in the most brutal way possible. The mirror smash environmental kill is added
  • 750,000 - SAVINI'S WORKSHOP: Behind the scenes interview added to the game. Watch Savini, Sultan of Splatter, and his apprentice create an all-new Jason
  • 775,000 - HEAD CRUSH: The glorious 3D headcrush kill is added to the game, complete with pop-out eyeball
  • 800,000 - RIP YOUR HEART OUT: Rip out the hearts of counselors! Jason gets this deadly move added to his arsenal of kills.
  • 900,000 - MANY FACES OF DEATH: 3 new Jason skins from key films in the franchise (Fan Favorites voted on in a backer only poll)
  • 925,000 - FRESH MEAT: 3 additional counselor skins, with unique skill combinations
  • 950,000 - SLEEPING BAG KILL: The famous 'sleeping bag against a tree scene' is added to the game as an environmental kill
  • 1,000,000 - TRIPLE DEATH!!!: 3 secret kills, hand-crafted by Tom Savini (to be revealed at a later date)
  • 1,100,000 - TWITCH FRENZY: In-Game Twitch Support for easy streaming, viewing and interacting with streams from within the game on PC, PS4 and XBox One
  • 1,125,000 - KNOCK YOUR BLOCK OFF: Back from Part VIII, Jason gets the ability to knock a counselor's head clean off and send it flying
  • 1,200,000 - TOMMY IS BACK!: Tommy Jarvis returns to Crystal Lake to help collect and decipher information about Jason Voorhees!
  • 1,225,000 - BACKBREAKER KILL: Throwback to Friday the 13th Part VI back-crunching kill that hurts to watch
  • 1,250,000 - THROWN OUT THE WINDOW: From Friday the 13th: The Final Chapter, this classic kill that featured Tina, will be added to the game as an environmental kill
  • 1,275,000 - THAT'S NOT FLAME RETARDANT: A grislier sleeping bag kill, roasted alive over an open flame. This warm and toasty demise becomes an environmental kill
  • 1,325,000 - NOOSE OF DEATH: A nod to the Noose scene from Part III, implemented as an environmental kill
  • 1,500,000 - EVEN MORE DEATH: Adds 5 more weapons for Jason to use in his kill combos.
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/613356213/friday-the-13th-the-game/posts/1392365

Looks they'll be doing a AMA on Wednesday at 3pm EST too and tomorrow a new "graphic" will be revealed.

Some strange stretch goals really---only the Twitch support seems akin to a "normal" sort alongside Savini's Workshop and I guess the extra weapons.

That single player mode is buried deep in the mists indeed it would seem.

I'm excited and hoping for the best with this game. I'm a person who knows little to nothing about game design, or what stretch goals are usually like for kickstarter projects. It kind of seems to me that most of those goals should already be included with the game, specifically the stretch goals for the extra kill moves. I kind of expected that kind of stuff to be in the base game. I understand having a stretch goal for single player and things like that, but I'm kind of scratching my head with some of these. Is this normal?

Edit: Looks like I'm not alone.

Simo

I'm excited and hoping for the best with this game. I'm a person who knows little to nothing about game design, or what stretch goals are usually like for kickstarter projects. It kind of seems to me that most of those goals should already be included with the game, specifically the stretch goals for the extra kill moves. I kind of expected that kind of stuff to be in the base game. I understand having a stretch goal for single player and things like that, but I'm kind of scratching my head with some of these. Is this normal?

Edit: Looks like I'm not alone.

Probably because the base game that was Summer Camp had their own killer with his base kills but now when you're dealing with Jason...there's a lot of iconic moves and kills fans would want in the game which means more $$ because of the amount of animation, mo-cap work etc that would be needed to do that.

At least thats my understanding of it. I'm like you I don't really know or understand how the budgets of game development go or kickstarter but a google search shows development budgets can be quite large.

Am I only who would love to see some footage of the prototype running and being played despite the art assets, animation etc not in place? lol

creatchee

New update posted:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/613356213/friday-the-13th-the-game/posts/1394855

Interesting part here:
Revised Stretch Goal Chart

This whole time, we've been watching and listening, even when we hadn't announced a single stretch goal yet. We've heard what the backers and fans have been saying and we've taken it all into account. The team has been talking amongst ourselves, comparing notes and discussing all of our options. We've debated about what we could do to be able to re-configure, re-order, re-plan, reduce costs, and add other stretch goals that the fans have been asking for. We hope this shows our commitment to you, this game, Jason Voorhees, and the Friday the 13th franchise we all love.

First up, we've taken Savini's Workshop & the Sleeping Bag Kill and will be adding those into the game at the 700k base goal. The team has rallied on your behalf and will work on their own time to get these done for you, and they will be included with the game at launch.

Next, we re-ordered stretch goals, moving some highly sought after goals lower on the list. These are still unannounced and blurred out at the moment, but soon you'll see that what you've been asking for, has now been brought within reach.

Finally, we've added some fan requests, and the most popular ones were moved to lower places on the list so they could be unlocked sooner. It was clear what you wanted, and we hope anyone sitting on the fence will see that we can all make these happen.

We also wanted to let everyone know that should we not hit all of our Stretch Goals, we will be considering adding them post-launch as DLC updates. We'd love to give them all to everyone and include them in the game by default, but need to hit the goals to do that. I know this has been a question and concern from some of you out there, so I wanted to lump this into today's update to address it.

As much as I would like this to succeed, sometimes, with goals like that... It feels just as pay-to-play as every other way they've treated the franchise. At least the cool heads are participating I guess, I mean, Savini for life.

Simo

So even if stretch goals won't get met there's a chance of them being post release DLC? I'd be cool with that honestly.

Have they shown any actual gameplay yet?

No although they have a fully working "prototype" they're playing, they just aren't showing it off because of the missing art assets etc. according to their page.

They are doing a AMA session today at 3pm EST if anyone has any questions.

jond76

Banned
AMA is done.
https://www.reddit.com/r/IAmA/comments/3qlhtc/were_gun_media_and_illfonic_game_designers/

.Did you really avoid big game publishers just to put in more T&A? Or did you just not want to give up creative control?

GunMedia:
It's a mixture of us wanting to push as hard as we can for the type of violence and gore that is synonymous with Friday the 13th. A lot of publishers aren't too comfortable with this type of game, being asymmetric as well.

TL;DR dem titties.

Hahaha

I hope they make it....

they started to 500k $ quickly and now they're having problems to reach 700k $...

maybe gameplay trailer?

Hoo-doo

Banned
The Sess is making the podcast rounds right now so I expect it to raise awareness of this game.

Only heard about it because of him appearing on The Comedy Button.

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
I'm really sad that the single player stretch goals are out of the question. It's the only way I'd play this. Oh well, I'll still try my best to support the project just because it's F13. Pretty sure I convinced someone to pledge today.

jond76

Banned
The good news is that they stated that the game will get made even if this fails. I really want to see them make it though.

Already pledged.

MiguelItUp

If this game comes out I will shit

For the record they DID say the game would be coming out regardless. It's just that this Kickstarter would really help do exactly what they want to do and more. Hopefully you don't ruin a new pair of clothes!

jond76

Banned
They posted some new add-ons you can tack on to your pledge. I think I'm down for a Savini designed Jason skin for $6 and a counselor clothing pack for $9.

sucks that the kickstarter wont reach the level of some of those environmental kills. Honestly think they just should have been put in the game regardless. Not sure why they need almost 400,000 dollars over the goal for the knock your block off kill. And others are much higher. Makes me wonder how many different kinds of kills are in the game, considering how many are on the stretch goals

dolabla

It will easily get to 700k in the last three days. Dissapointed we won't hit some of the sub 1 million stretch goals. At least the game gets made.

Yep, it's getting closer to $690,000 (currently at over $688,000+ right now). I don't think we have anything to worry about.

jond76

Banned
Damn, last I checked it still had $24k to go. Some rich person wanted this to get made. Hahaha. Yay for funding!

Top Bottom