• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Friday the 13th: The Game KickStarter: $700k, 1 vs7 MP. The game Sessler teased.

https://twitter.com/LastYearGame/status/654020960677404672

I wonder how similar these two games are going to be...

Just to put an end to all the nonsense out there where people are saying Last Year was ripped off. No, they weren't. Not even close.

Randy started talking about the Slasher games to us back in 2013 and formally announced Slasher Vol. 1: Summer Camp a week before Last Year's Kickstarter. Prior to that, they had been working on the Summer Camp reveal trailer for at least two or three months and had been seeking a developer for a few months before that. Summer Camp existed well before Last Year was announced and it has always had the gameplay concepts that it still has today. Last Year wasn't even a blip on their radar until they got C&D'd by Crystal Lake.

Two people had a similar idea at roughly the same time. This stuff happens.

The guy behind Last Year is trying to stir up trouble and get some press for himself on the back of Friday the 13th. Meanwhile, Gun, Randy, and the entire Friday the 13th team are being very polite to him.

To make matters significantly confusing, articles titled "Friday the 13th Game Has Claimed It's First Victim" aren't referring to this current Friday the 13th game. When Last Year was C&D'd, Gun had not even started talking to Cunningham about applying the license to Summer Camp.

smisk

Wondering how much the stretch goals for singleplayer will be. I think this game will definitely make it's original goal but I don't see it going up past the $1 million range from the rate it's making money so far.

I don't think I'm gonna back it but I'll definitely be more tempted to buy it if there's a singleplayer campaign.

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
Wondering how much the stretch goals for singleplayer will be. I think this game will definitely make it's original goal but I don't see it going up past the $1 million range from the rate it's making money so far.

I don't think I'm gonna back it but I'll definitely be more tempted to buy it if there's a singleplayer campaign.

Only SP mention I can manage to see in the stretch goals is at 3.5 million. That's not happening. Nooooooo.

Grew up watching the Friday movies so this is something I was always going to be excited by. Have made it the first project I've backed on Kickstarter.

I'm impressed that they've got the involvement of guys like Kane Hodder, Tom Savini and Sean Cunningham

Almost half way to the goal already, that's fantastic. Hope we get some more info and maybe some gameplay to keep the hype up through the campaign.

Astery

not nearly enough details about how the game runs other than 1 v 7 of something.

Do people have to do assigned random task like spy party to make them move around and be anything close to like a slasher movie scenario?

..actually, couldn't imagine it without being boring quick.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
not nearly enough details about how the game runs other than 1 v 7 of something.

Do people have to do assigned random task like spy party to make them move around and be anything close to like a slasher movie scenario?

I'm going to be a braggadocious jock who is actually hiding his insecurity and virginity behind a facade of bravado and swagger and ironically that secret will ultimately save me and force me to confront my failings - and Michael Myers. Or a panda if it's in the dlc.

Yeah, a counselor can only win if they escape or defeat Jason. To do either they will have to move around the map. Hiding won't win the game for them.

Sounds like a terrific idea in theory and I'm interested. But the execution (pun intended) is definitely going to be the key. Hopefully they make a fun game out of it.

Simo

Nice! I saw on Twitter today the devs said they'll be doing a AMA reddit session soon too.

EDIT: Also shamelessly stolen from reddit but someone tried to decipher the stretch goals...interesting.
I was looking through the stretch goal picture and some of them you can clearly tell what the goal is and others are hard to make out.
Anything you can make out that is currently blurred? The ones I have so far are (edited as more are found out)
  • $800,000 - Rip Your Heart Out? (might be wrong on this one)
  • $875,000 - Sleeping Bag Kill
  • $1,100,000 - Tommy is Back!
  • $1,250,000 - Thrown Out the Window
  • $2,700,000 - ? Remake - "The game that should of been made in 1989." (Not sure what the title is. Something Remake.)
  • $2,950,000 - Summer Camp Cabin Rebuilt (unsure on "Summer" and "Rebuilt" on this on but its definitely "Camp Cabin")
  • $3,500,000 - Single Player Survival Challenge Mode
  • $3,700,000 - Jason Old School Fan Pack (unsure on the first word, looks like Jason though)
  • $4,500,000 - Pamela ? - Play as the original killer from the first Friday the 13th film. Jason's mom Pamela Voorhees. (The title doesn't seem to be Pamela Voorhees for this goal but the name is in the description)

Simo

Sorry for the double post but was this Polygon story and interview with the devs ever posted?
http://www.polygon.com/features/2015/10/13/9491031/friday-the-13th-is-back

Because if not it contains a surprising amount of info and detail about the game including various gameplay mechanics for Jason and the counselors, map sizes, stretch goals, multiple maps and more.
  • It's a third-person asymmetrical hide-and-seek game. Think Evolve except the monster is the one doing the chasing.
  • You get to be Jason, the murderous maniac who hunts down holidaying kids and carves them up. Jason is significantly overpowered.
  • Or you get to be any one of up to seven teenage campers trying not to be murdered by Jason. The teenagers have limited abilities but they can turn to cooperation, which can often be a hindrance.
  • The game is set in Camp Crystal Lake, the same location as the early movies. The maps include random drops of stuff like weapons, escape vehicles and telephones. These are always the things you want to get to if you are trying to escape from a crazed murderer, while also being the things you want to hide near if you are a crazed murderer.
  • There's no time limit. You either have to murder all the teenagers or you have to be a teenager who escapes from the lake by boat, car or by finding and fixing a telephone and calling in the cops.
  • Everyone in the game is an actual human being. There are no bots. Human beings are devious and human beings are dumb, especially when we are scared. This frightened-silly dumbness is the engine that drives Friday the 13th.

Hobbs says there have been plenty of screams during testing, as well as friends abandoning one another once Jason shows up.

"There’s a famous quote," he says. "'Everyone has a plan until they get punched in the mouth.' That’s true in our game. Everyone’s like, 'I’ll go find a weapon, and then I’ll go find that car part, and I’ll get up with my friend on the other side of the map.' But that never works out.

"Somewhere along the way, Jason shows up and changes your plan in an instant. You run. Your plan’s out the door, just like in the films."

The game is being designed to make sure there are no easy ways to stay alive. If you try to just keep running, Jason will catch you. If you try to hide in a barn, Jason will find you. Everyone has a different idea about keeping their skin.

"You’ll see guys who don’t like to play stealth," says Hobbs. "They’ll take off sprinting as soon as the map opens up. Unfortunately, when you do that, it makes a lot of sound and Jason can hear you. He just morphs to you and chops your head off. That’s only in our prototype. We’re still balancing how quickly he can see you. But that’s one example."

On what build they have now and what they can show to the public along with word on extra maps:
Right now, there's not much to see of the game. According to Hobbs, the developers have spent their time so far on making a working prototype rather than on polishing visuals. Gun Media itself started out consulting for other publishers before branching out into full development. Its best known game is mobile shooter hit Breach and Clear.

"We have a rough prototype that’s not ready to show the public because we concentrated on feature sets and making sure Jason and the counselors play well together," he says. "We’re gray-boxing a lot of things and not really polishing anything." The Kickstarter is aiming to raise $700,000, which will be spent on stretch goals like a potential single-player campaign and extra maps.

On A.I bots/players:
Unlike in Evolve, there are no plans for AI substitutes. "AI is a very expensive task, far more than most people imagine," says Hobbs. "The worst thing we can do is have AI that’s just standing in a corner or getting in the way. So we’ll just start the match with a minimum of maybe four people. We’re working on that internally, trying to figure out what the right number is."

Map size:
Map size is also something that the team is trying to perfect. During Friday the 13th's development, the core map has decreased in size. "We started our prototype with the mindset that this had to be a huge map," says Hobbs. "But you weren’t seeing the other counselors enough. You could go 10 minutes without seeing someone, so we had to dial that back. But it’s still going to be pretty big. A lot of wilderness, some cabins sprinkled in, so we have a mix of interior and exterior gameplay."

On Jason's abilities...
Jason's powers are formidable. It's not clear, at this point, how they are being restricted and balanced.

"Jason has to be overpowered," says Hobbs. "He’s Jason. That’s part of the fun. At the same time, Jason can’t just kill everyone in two minutes. Then the game’s over and it’s no fun for the counselors."

Apart from starting the game with a weapon, and being physically much stronger than the counselors, he can instantly travel to anywhere on the map.

"In the movies, Jason’s everywhere at once, or he seems to be," says Hobbs. "You run from him and all of a sudden he’s in front of you. He’ll have a limited ability to move around the map, but we’ll get more into that later."

Councillors who decide that there is safety in numbers are playing a dangerous game. "One of his other abilities will be to hear sounds," says Hobbs. "The more noise you make, the more he can track you. That’s the flip side of playing in large groups. You’ll make more noise. But you’re safer." The safety comes with knowing that you might not be the one who gets killed when he shows up. Also, being alone, even in video games, is inherently scarier.

Jason also has x-ray vision and he can sense blood. If you've been injured, watch out. "You can’t hide from Jason for very long," says Hobbs.

On the Fear system:
There's also a fear meter, so that players who witness friends being hacked to death pay a penalty when it comes to performing difficult tasks, like inserting a key into a car's ignition. Jason is tuned into this fear meter, which also has a high effect on players who are alone for long periods. Thus, just hiding away is not always a good plan.

You also start as Jason pretty much from Part 3 and can unlock his earlier "sack head" look too. There's a ton more details and info in the link. So uh..yeah..my hype for this just skyrocketed even more than it was before. lol

sjay1994

Wow, how much damage did evolve do?

Not only did its sales get affected, its now creating a negative stigma on anything else that attempts to be a multiplayer only/ asymetric mutliplayer game.

This game sounds cool, but I need to see proof of concept before backing

Toxi

Banned
Dang, lot more gameplay details there, and I'm glad to see they prioritized getting the working prototype running. Making me feel more comfortable about backing. Not sure I like Jason having X-Ray vision though. It seems like it would ruin the searching aspect of playing as him and the stealth aspect of playing as the counselors.

I wonder what the Tom Savini exclusive Jason costume will look like; gonna guess it's going to be as grotesque and creepy as the awesome New Blood-style look.

Rembrandt

Banned
Nice! I saw on Twitter today the devs said they'll be doing a AMA reddit session soon too.

EDIT: Also shamelessly stolen from reddit but someone tried to decipher the stretch goals...interesting.

The remake is for the old Friday the 13th game and the sleeping bag kill may hint towards context kills.

So hyped for this, though the concept sounds super familiar.

Wow, how much damage did evolve do?

Not only did its sales get affected, its now creating a negative stigma on anything else that attempts to be a multiplayer only/ asymetric mutliplayer game.

This game sounds cool, but I need to see proof of concept before backing

They need to stop mentioning it. It isn't helping them.

Simo

Dang, lot more gameplay details there, and I'm glad to see they prioritized getting the working prototype running. Making me feel more comfortable about backing. Not sure I like Jason having X-Ray vision though. It seems like it would ruin the searching aspect of playing as him and the stealth aspect of playing as the counselors.

I wonder what the Tom Savini exclusive Jason costume will look like; gonna guess it's going to be as grotesque and creepy as the awesome New Blood-style look.

I wonder if the X-ray and blood sense are one of the same? As in if a counselor is injured and bleeding out that they appear as a red outline/blob in the game world that you see as Jason even though buildings? A crude comparison being like when enemies are marked in MGSV/MGO. lol

Man this sounds great, watched a lot of the Jason films growing up, I hope they pull this off and it turns out good, might be the first game I back on KS.

That Polygon interview was really cool and I like the ideas and thought going into mechanics, especially making Jason feel overpowered.

I wonder how long they're aiming an average round to take.

Toxi

Banned
Can't wait for the Tom Savini interview they mentioned in update 2.
I wonder if the X-ray and blood sense are one of the same? As in if a counselor is injured and bleeding out that they appear as a red outline/blob in the game world that you see as Jason even though buildings? A crude comparison being like when enemies are marked in MGSV/MGO. lol
That would work much better, since it still allows stealth while making you much more afraid of Jason after you get hit.

the stretch goal should be a single player campaign by creative assembly.. i would back that at full price.

they did an amazing job with Alien Isolation

Toxi

Banned
Kinda funny that Sean Cunningham's record directing the movies is so uneven. He directed the original (not the best, but among the better ones, very low budget), Jason Goes to Hell (the worst movie by far, as well as a fucking weird one), Jason X (Stupid over-the-top fun), and the reboot (decent if a bit too standard). Every single one of his movies has a drastically different style.

Simo

Kinda funny that Sean Cunningham's record directing the movies is so uneven. He directed the original (not the best, but among the better ones, very low budget), Jason Goes to Hell (the worst movie by far, as well as a fucking weird one), Jason X (Stupid over-the-top fun), and the reboot (decent if a bit too standard). Every single one of his movies has a drastically different style.

lol Probably because he only directed the first one. The other sequels you mentioned were directed by different people with Marcus Nispel (The Texas Chainsaw Massacre 2003 remake) having directed 2009's remake.

Yeah, I don't know why they keep bringing up Evolve. This game seems more like the Dying Light: Be the Zombie mode, which was really fun.

Might be because Illfonic were involved with the development of Evolve, I'm just not sure in what capacity but it's mentioned on the Kickstarter page and in a recent interview.

New shot?
d919e7df7c89aaffcb3225c8878399d9_original.jpg

Toxi

Banned
lol Probably because he only directed the first one. The other sequels you mentioned were directed by different people with Marcus Nispel (The Texas Chainsaw Massacre 2003 remake) having directed 2009's remake.
Wow I fucked up there. He was producing those later movies, not directing.

Toxi

Banned
Always thought the closest in tone to the first was the second one. And I enjoy the second one much more than the first.
Same. Second one has a much more interesting and capable protagonist and had many of the best moments in the series like the protagonist pretending to be Jason's mother. Also better pacing outside the terrible unnecessarily long flashback at the beginning.

Simo

A few of the stretch goals officially revealed via bloody-disgusting:
1) Savini Workshop is at 750k – Behind the scenes interview added to the game. Watch Savini, Sultan of Splatter, and his apprentice create an all-new Jason. That’s right….an all-new Jason Voorhees created by Tom and his team.

2) Tommy Jarvis is at 1,200,000 – Tommy Jarvis returns to Crystal Lake to help collect and decipher information about Jason Voorhees! This will mean a playable Tommy Jarvis, with his own unique skill set. We also have something more unique planned if the budget allows – perhaps do enough for Tommy and a secret awaits?

3) Pamela is at 4,050,000 – Play as the original killer from the first Friday the 13th film. Jason’s mom, Pamela Voorhees! Complete with a whole new animation set. Everyone knows what Jason can do, but how will Pamela play? Can she morph around the map? Can she still perform all the brutal kills that her baby boy can? Or, will she have to rely on stealth to execute the camp counselors?

Pinky

Banned
Damn! After reading the interview and seeing a few of those stretch goals, I'm getting super hyped for this!

Simo

If the Tommy Jarvis goal gets unlocked, which Tommy will they be using, the John Shepard "Tommy" or Thom Matthews "Tommy"?

Likely Thom Matthews given the fans, and even filmmakers of Part VI, acted as if Part V: A New Beginning never happened.

Simo

This gonna have VA? Get Thom on board. Love to hear from him again!!

I'm sure it would have to have a VA for the part. Maybe they want Thom back? Could be why the stretch goal is that high?

I started watching part 1 of the Crystal Lake Memories doc last night on Amazon which covered the making of the films and interviews for films 1-6. Excellent stuff so far!

MiguelItUp

I can't wait to see more footage of this. I'm sure it'll hit its goal no problem, but the past day or so has made me nervous cause momentum has slowed down. Here's to hoping some of those stretch goals will be hit.

Top Bottom