• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Friday the 13th: The Game KickStarter: $700k, 1 vs7 MP. The game Sessler teased.

Mr. Tibbs

this will be picked easily over the weekend.

Don't Kickstarters tend to see a massive decline after the first day? It always seems like the second day they drop to less than half of the first day, considerably less the following day then basically stall until the final two days unless they're close to their goal.

Miles X

Likelyhood of this not making it now are very slim, most Kickstarters do about 30% in their first 3 days, this is already nearly at 40% after just a day.

SpotAnime

Pledged at the $65 tier. Really want that Tom Savini-designed Jason.

I have faith this is the game Evolved wanted to be. Should be great to play come next Halloween.

I think you're misreading some information. Summer Camp was far from complete and it was not actually slated to be out this year. IGN falsely reported a release date when one was never officially announced. It's mentioned on the Kickstarter and in the video that the funding is only needed to make the game true to the IP. They already have funding to make the game but they needed more to go the extra mile to really make it true to Friday the 13th.

There's no reason to be skeptical here. The actual developers of the game have shipped enough games to be trusted. Gun (Wes & Ronnie specifically) have only shipped a few games but they're just the creatives and not the guys getting dirty and building the game (that would be Randy and the talented team at Illfonic). Seriously, just go look up Randy Greenback on Mobygames and that should alleviate some of your trepidation.

There are plenty of reasons to be skeptical, no offense to the devs. Like I said, the game was pretty far along even if it wasn't "officially" given a release, although I swear I saw 2015 reported multiple times. So it would be nice for them to show some of that gameplay footage to at least give us an idea of what the game will look and play like.

My biggest issue is that this is a 1 vs 7 MP only game. Without an offline component I don't see how this game will last. I don't see the player base being large enough to sustain the game for any extended period of time. Evolve sold well enough and even still within two weeks of release the number of online players went from 40-50k to only around a thousand at a given time, and I would guess the numbers have gone down even more in the 7 months its been out ( the actual steam numbers are published and show about 500 players in the past month).

Again, I'm a huge Friday fan and I would love to play this game. But I don't feel very confident putting money in at this stage. If you do, that's awesome more power to you, I hope the early backers are right about this one.

While the property and multiplayer-focused design mean I'm not the target audience for this game, it would have been nice to see or hear anything about its gameplay.

What do people want to hear? They've laid out the basis on the project page. 7v1 multiplayer - counselor's goals are to either escape or defeat Jason, Jason's goal is to kill all the counselors. It's pretty straightforward.

peakish

What do people want to hear? They've laid out the basis on the project page. 7v1 multiplayer - counselor's goals are to either escape or defeat Jason, Jason's goal is to kill all the counselors. It's pretty straightforward.
There's plenty of things. They've said that counselors play against each other and that they've spent a lot of time making them fun to play. In what ways? What is the fear system? How does escaping the island work? Do objectives change between games?

Right now there's not much more than the basic premise to go on. As I said in an earlier post I believe this is tactical and that they'll get more information out there at regular intervals to keep interest going. But there definitely are many holes to fill in.

Miletius

This sounds like an interesting and novel concept. It reminds me a little bit of the Assasin's creed multiplayer, which I liked a lot. I'm down for keeping an eye on the project and seeing if I should back further down the line.

Horse Detective

Why the long case?
I actually really like that they chose part 7 Jason as the model.

He wasn't my favorite, but it makes the most sense. It wasn't until 6 and 7 that he got the unstoppable killing machine reputation. Those two movies are the quintessential "Jason movies" imo.

I am a huge slasher fan, so I am definitely into this. I hope counselor game play is as fun as they promise.

Simo

He wasn't my favorite, but it makes the most sense. It wasn't until 6 and 7 that he got the unstoppable killing machine reputation. Those two movies are the quintessential "Jason movies" imo.

I am a huge slasher fan, so I am definitely into this. I hope counselor game play is as fun as they promise.

Actually you can play as any of the movie incarnations of Jason, not just part 7. It's part of the level progression unlocks so you can unlock different skins for Jason including 2 new original looks designed for the game by Tom Savini along with different counselors.

creatchee

Part VII had my favorite Jason. He had the broken chain around his neck, ribcage and back bones partially sticking out, worn out clothes, and the all-important destroyed eye.

Simo

I think I'm more partial to the Parts 3 and 4 looks for Jason along with his recent look in the remake, which I hope we get a unlock to play as sack head Jason.

I also wonder how the Fear system would work? I'm imagining it being a metric or gauge that fucks with your counselor so if the level is high you might see things that aren't really there and react accordingly...like Jason standing in the trees staring at you. lol

I'd be such a fun rich person. I'd fund this in a heartbeat if I actually had money instead of a house that springs a new leak every few days.

Seems like we could get more than one famous serialkiller.

Because the first stretchgoal says: with Jason as killer. Seems a bit strange that they write that down in the first stretchgoal so i would assume later ones include more killer. Maybe Freddy Kruger?

If they intend to make more killer as stretchgoal then it would be wise for them to reveal them asap.

How will this find anymore success than Evolve? That game flat-lined on release. Devs are going to have to pay super close attention to balance for as long as the game is popular.

Well it could get Singleplayer. Has an actual interesting and famous IP behind it. Stretchgoals are more likely to be free DLC.
Regarding balance: Its a 80s slasher horror movie game... It doesnt need balancing.

Seems like we could get more than one famous serialkiller.

Because the first stretchgoal says: with Jason as killer. Seems a bit strange that they write that down in the first stretchgoal so i would assume later ones include more killer. Maybe Freddy Kruger?

If they intend to make more killer as stretchgoal then it would be wise for them to reveal them asap.

Well it could get Singleplayer. Has an actual interesting and famous IP behind it. Stretchgoals are more likely to be free DLC.
Regarding balance: Its a 80s slasher horror movie game... It doesnt need balancing.

Jason wasn't the killer in all the movies. Could be one of the other ones?

Well they say in the unlock section you can unlock other Jasons. So i assume the other killers are in there. So no stretchgoal for that?

Only having Jason is good enough yeah but imagine having a 1 vs 1 vs 7. Like Jason against Leatherface vs Teenagers. That would be awesome. But wishful thinking.

Would be really cool to get a Mrs. Voorhees killer, too. I got hyped for this and ended up watching the first movie last night and the one thing that really stuck out for me was the fact that none of the counselors even knew something was wrong until like the last half hour of the movie. It would be neat to have it be like, you don't actually get any indicator that someone has died until someone actually finds the body.

Simo

Two people are crazy enough to have thrown $10k at this so they can be brutally murdered by Jason while fucking.

Damn.

You mean that was an option?! Dammit. lol

Almost 300k raised in less than 24 hours though!

Well they say in the unlock section you can unlock other Jasons. So i assume the other killers are in there. So no stretchgoal for that?

Only having Jason is good enough yeah but imagine having a 1 vs 1 vs 7. Like Jason against Leatherface vs Teenagers. That would be awesome. But wishful thinking.

Yeah, that'd mean having to go and pay up and get the license and permission to use Leatherface. If they were to include another killer I'd imagine it would most likely be Pamela Vorhees and thats it.

This would have been perfect as an FMV game with real actors actually

Sega CD. 1992. Staring Kane Hodder. Produced by Digital Pictures. Directed by Tom Zito. Such a game would've made Joe Lieberman have a stroke.

I do love that this Kickstarter ends on Friday the 13th. I am pulling for this one to succeed and then some.

Pinky

Banned
I expected something better.

Not Friday the 13th

kill1a.gif

:p

Loakum

Banned
I could be mistaken, but I could had sworn I heard about this game way back when I first heard about Until Dawn.

I really hope Last Year is successful. They seem to be more focused on creating an all-encompassing horror genre game rather than just a Friday the 13th game which I'd prefer.

Yeah, I'm looking forward to Last Year more because it seems much more varied with the environments and enemy types. I also like the teleportation mechanic.

Akronis

Yeah, I'm looking forward to Last Year more because it seems much more varied with the environments and enemy types. I also like the teleportation mechanic.

Crossing my fingers for sure.

In regards to Friday the 13th, is there enough material in the "lore" to create a varied experience that won't turn into another Evolve?

https://twitter.com/LastYearGame/status/654020960677404672

I wonder how similar these two games are going to be...

The Last Year Kickstarter here from Dec 2014: https://www.kickstarter.com/project...-vs-1-multiplayer-survival-horror/description

It made $114,711 Canadian dollars.

Very simaler indeed. But hey, asymmetrical multiplayer is kind of in vogue now, Depth is essentially just Jaws with asymmetrical gameplay. It was only a matter of time before some indie devs out there would think of using the same idea but on land. It's possible that these two groups just had the same idea. But this one will make way more money based on name recognition alone.

SexyFish

Banned
The Last Year Kickstarter here from Dec 2014: https://www.kickstarter.com/project...-vs-1-multiplayer-survival-horror/description

Very simaler indeed. But hey, asymmetrical multiplayer is kind of in vogue now, Depth is essentially just Jaws with asymmetrical gameplay. It was only a matter of time before some indie devs out there would think of using the same idea but on land. It's possible that these two groups just had the same idea.
They did have the same idea. Devs from this game had a kickstarter for a similar game called Summer Camp(which they pulled) that was put up before Last Year was.

Very simaler indeed. But hey, asymmetrical multiplayer is kind of in vogue now, Depth is essentially just Jaws with asymmetrical gameplay. It was only a matter of time before some indie devs out there would think of using the same idea but on land. It's possible that these two groups just had the same idea. But this one will make way more money based on name recognition alone.

It raised another $260,000 in September from Canada Media Fund and the author just mentioned on Twitter (@LastYearGame) that they received a second round of funding from CMF so they are fine. It will probably reach the $700,000 base goal that Friday the 13th is asking about.

http://lastyearthegame.com/last-year-secures-additional-260000-investment/

They did have the same idea. Devs from this game had a kickstarter for a similar game called Summer Camp(which they pulled) that was put up before Last Year was.

Oh interesting. They did mention Summer Camp in the video, but there was also no mention on the time frame for that game. So I wasn't sure if the idea came before or after Last Year. I also had no idea that there was a kickstarter for it either.

It raised another $260,000 in September and the author just mentioned on Twitter that they received an additional round of funding so they are fine. It will probably reach the $700,000 base goal that Friday the 13th is asking about.

http://lastyearthegame.com/last-year-secures-additional-260000-investment/

That's cool. I think both these games have an interesting concept. But it will be interesting to see how they will differ from each other.

Simo

I could be mistaken, but I could had sworn I heard about this game way back when I first heard about Until Dawn.

I think they announced a F13 game last fall right around when Summer Camp got announced with the idea that the game would release near the new movie but since the movie got bumped we never heard anything again. Likewise, nothing was really released or revealed about Summer Camp next to the announcement but apparently this was because they were approached after the reveal about turning their project into Friday the 13th.

They've just posted an update too:
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/613356213/friday-the-13th-the-game/posts/1382636
Hey Everyone!
Friday the 13th: The Game is on Kickstarter, the support is real and we're well on our way to unleashing Jason! The entire team here is absolutely blown away by the support and feedback that we've received these past 24 hours. It's been a whirlwind of media shares, news outlet coverage and of course, you, our amazing Kickstarter Backers posting across the various social sites.

Campaign Stats

To give you an idea on what we've been seeing on our end:

+825,000 Total Trailer Views on Youtube (across all postings)
Top Trending on Twitter with over 10,000 individual Tweets
Top Trending on Facebook
+18,500 Website Visits
+7,200 Facebook Likes
+1,500 Twitter Followers in 24 hours
You all shut down ihorror.com's servers
+100 News Articles, including IGN, Forbes, Kotaku, Polygon, Game Informer and every other major gaming outlet!
All of that has generated over $275,000 in funding in 24 hours. It is absolutely nuts trying to keep up with our feeds across Twitter and Facebook, dozens and dozens of tweets every single minute, and the pace has hardly slowed. You guys are simply amazing and we're looking forward to getting across the finish line!

Stretch Goals

When we draw closer to the $700K goal, we'll give you guys an update on our Stretch Goals. Some of you are good at reading blurry text apparently (you superhuman freaks of nature know who you are), but for those that can't, you'll soon start seeing them clearly. Remember, the big one we've revealed so far concerns Single Player. We're planning a great experience where you'll get to play as either Jason or counselors. Trust us, fans of the film series will want to play this!

New Reward Tiers

We've been getting a lot of questions about adding more reward tiers. The most requests we've seen in this department have been those asking about us replenishing/adding more copies of the SIGNED PHYSICAL 'MACHETE' STEEL COLLECTOR PACK. We always wanted this to be a very limited reward, and planned on hand numbering each one of them (1/100). IF we do decide to add more and commit to them being signed, the new ones will not be numbered and we'll make a small change on the slipcover so that the original batch will remain the premium signed collectible that we wanted them to be.

Soundtrack Reward Tier Errors

There was an error in the Reward Tier text in the side bar on Kickstarter, and the soundtrack appears to be omitted from a lot of the tiers it's supposed to be in. Please refer to the chart near the bottom of the campaign page to see exactly where the Soundtrack is offered. The lowest tier that has the Soundtrack and the game is the FIRST TO DIE PACK at $40.

The Announcement Trailer Is Not 'CG'

Finally, we wanted to clear up any misconceptions on the announcement trailer. All of the assets used in it are from the game. It was captured in-engine and was not what people normally refer to as a 'CG Trailer'. The UE4 engine is amazing and the team at Illfonic are hard at work ensuring that Camp Crystal Lake, Jason, the Counselors, and the gore FX all looks their best and use the features the engine provides in the best ways possible.

Wrapping Up Update #1

We went into this venture as anxious and stressed as you'd expect when you're putting your work into the hands of others. We're confident though that the control we've given up has ended up in the best of hands and we're proud to be building this game with you all involved. We're just lucky that the Friday the 13th fans are some of the most passionate, insightful and sharp folks around. There are so many amazing discussions going on in the comments, ideas we never even considered, all being batted about. We're listening, taking everything in and are going to put our all into making the game all it can be.

Thank you so much, guys! Your dedication keeps us up at night (in the best of ways). It fuels us so we can continue to develop Friday the 13th: The Game, continue to build out Camp Crystal Lake, and make it all the best experience it possibly can be!

-Gun Media

Kinda sounds like their stretch goals will be more single player oriented?

El_Cinefilo

Kinda sounds like their stretch goals will be more single player oriented?

I love the idea of the game and enjoy the Friday the 13th movies but at the same time I'm not the biggest of online players so the idea of adding a single player where you can recreate the movies would tip me over from a maybe pick it up when it's out to a definitely buy it as long as it's not awful and maybe even take a punt on putting something on the Kickstarter (which would only be my second after Shenmue 3).

Top Bottom