• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Friday the 13th: The Game KickStarter: $700k, 1 vs7 MP. The game Sessler teased.

Heyasuki

• Multiplayer-only games thrive on the community, and this won't have one without a massive marketing push (which it likely won't have).

This is pretty much why this is dead in the water. They will be lucky if it has people playing it for 2 weeks after release. Now if it's free online then maybe it will have some legs...

I love the idea, but I'm not going to back it for this reason.

SexyFish

Banned
This is pretty much why this is dead in the water. They will be lucky if it has people playing it for 2 weeks after release. Now if it's free online then maybe it will have some legs...

I feel that streamers/youtubers can definitely add a population for this type of game.

jfoul

On PC, I think Friday the 13th will be fine. Depth, which is similar in game type, still has a decent player base. I also think this could be big with streamers for awhile after release.

Pinky

Banned
I'm hoping for Reggie the Reckless's brother Demon. That song he sang with his girl was legit.

tumblr_nl31a2Cq5G1qdibfyo1_1280.jpg

Courtesy of those damn enchiladas.

sega4ever

the multiplayer would last much longer if they make it cross platform.

I envisioned an alien isolation style game with jason hunting you, very dissapointed to find its purely a multiplayer title.

Will keep an eye on the project, but not as excited as i was initially.

I'm really torn over this. I love the franchise and really want to see this game come out. But something about a licensed franchise like this going to crowd funding is really rubbing me the wrong way. Especially considering it's being tweaked (I assume just to add Jason) from an already completed game that was supposed to be out this year. I also think its strange that all they show is a teaser with no gameplay footage. If the game (summer camp) was as far along as they say, why not show actual gameplay footage from that? It's essentially the same game and would give me a little confidence about the gameplay.

demolitio

Sleeping bags should be areas you can hide in.

Nothing bad ever happens to someone in a sleeping bag.

Nothing.

Make it like the cardboard box from MGSV where I can walk upright in it and can blend into the woods with my camo sleeping bag.

Clearly should be a stretch goal.

I'm really torn over this. I love the franchise and really want to see this game come out. But something about a licensed franchise like this going to crowd funding is really rubbing me the wrong way. Especially considering it's being tweaked (I assume just to add Jason) from an already completed game that was supposed to be out this year. I also think its strange that all they show is a teaser with no gameplay footage. If the game (summer camp) was as far along as they say, why not show actual gameplay footage from that? It's essentially the same game and would give me a little confidence about the gameplay.

I think you're misreading some information. Summer Camp was far from complete and it was not actually slated to be out this year. IGN falsely reported a release date when one was never officially announced. It's mentioned on the Kickstarter and in the video that the funding is only needed to make the game true to the IP. They already have funding to make the game but they needed more to go the extra mile to really make it true to Friday the 13th.

There's no reason to be skeptical here. The actual developers of the game have shipped enough games to be trusted. Gun (Wes & Ronnie specifically) have only shipped a few games but they're just the creatives and not the guys getting dirty and building the game (that would be Randy and the talented team at Illfonic). Seriously, just go look up Randy Greenback on Mobygames and that should alleviate some of your trepidation.

demolitio

200k in 1 day.

It will be funded within 2 weeks. There is no optimism it's just further showing that people want diverse horror games and not horror games developed for uncharismatic youtubers.

Of course the name and setting don't hurt either since it's something from a lot of our childhoods coming to life in a new way just like Alien: Isolation.

TSM

This sounds interesting, but I'm not so excited by them bringing in stunt men. I'm not sure why you'd want canned deaths in a game that would potentially be more fun with emergent gameplay.

Illucio

Banned
200k in 1 day.

It will be funded within 2 weeks. There is no optimism it's just further showing that people want diverse horror games and not horror games developed for uncharismatic youtubers.

Pretty sad considering how well many other video games we're funded within this time. The game should be funded, but I do think everyone is very skeptical about this game and are keeping themselves from backing the game. With good reason too, Evolve being a disaster, and not being provided with any bare minimum of gameplay footage (or trailer that would show what the game would look like/play like.)

That and there has been a huge lack of exposure and I noticed a lot of media that even bother giving this game press are forgetting to mention it's a kickstarter and are failing to provide a link to the game.

And I see doubt that the funded amount will finish the game and that they're going to have problems finishing the game. :/ This game has potential doom written all over it.

Pretty sad considering how well many other video games we're funded within this time. The game should be funded, but I do think everyone is very skeptical about this game and are keeping themselves from backing the game. With good reason too, Evolve being a disaster, and not being provided with any bare minimum of gameplay footage (or trailer that would show what the game would look like/play like.)

That and there has been a huge lack of exposure and I noticed a lot of media that even bother giving this game press are forgetting to mention it's a kickstarter and are failing to provide a link to the game.

And I see doubt that the funded amount will finish the game and that they're going to have problems finishing the game. :/ This game has potential doom written all over it.

I feel somewhat ignored here. :(

I just posted a few posts back pointing out that in both the description and video they mention they have enough outside funding to finish the game. The $700k is to make it true to the Friday the 13th franchise. I've seen the game, it's been in the works for over a year. People do not have to be skeptical of the funding.

Also, the trailer is all in-engine. It's not CG like some outlets are reporting.

creatchee

I just posted a few posts back pointing out that in both the description and video they mention they have enough outside funding to finish the game. The $700k is to make it true to the Friday the 13th franchise. I've seen the game, it's been in the works for over a year. People do not have to be skeptical of the funding.

Also, the trailer is all in-engine. It's not CG like some outlets are reporting.

Some people just want to hate on it because it's not their cup of tea or whatever. I've been following it since it was announced as Summer Camp and would have bought it without the license. The fact that it's now an official game makes me ridiculously happy.

gabbo

I'd be curious for the single player, and a fan of sorts, of the schlocky 80's slasher this is going to reimagine slightly.

I really don't see what having Savini on-board does though, since he's a master of practical effects and that's not possible here.

Nudull

Banned
By god, I may just back this. Would love to see more solid gameplay footage, though.

I'd be curious for the single player, and a fan of sorts, of the schlocky 80's slasher this is going to reimagine slightly.

I really don't see what having Savini on-board does though, since he's a master of practical effects and that's not possible here.

They could easily re-create his effects in game form, which is very exciting.

This is good to hear and needs to be bolded in 100pt font in the KS page. I will be watching this closely and may back it. Thanks for the information.

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.

You know why he's a master of practical effects? spending enough time photographing the Vietnam war and coming back to make some very realistic and gruesome effects for decades.

Now imagine that knowledge in playable form.

gabbo

By god, I may just back this. Would love to see more solid gameplay footage, though.

They could easily re-create his effects in game form, which is very exciting.

The video does seem to imply that's what they'll be doing. he'll design stuff in real life, and they'll recreate it in the game. Seems more like a means to generate buzz than something necessary, but I'll gladly be wrong

I think they are going a little overboard with the stretch goals. It goes up to 4.6 million. I doubt they will get anywhere near that by the end. Probably less than two million if they are lucky.

I'm just going to go ahead and post this so it can stew and (hopefully) be read. I've known Randy Greenback since I started my company Mighty Rabbit Studios in 2010. Randy is the brains behind Summer Camp/Friday the 13th. Anyone who is skeptical that this game will not ship does not know Randy (and I don't really expect you to).

Randy is the kind of guy who will assume great personal debt just to assure he doesn't let someone else down. When my company was in danger of closing, Randy offered me his $40,000 game collection (which he has been amassing for three decades), so I could sell it and keep everyone on my team paid. I don't employ Randy - he had nothing to gain and yet he offered because he didn't want to see people he cared about suffer. Thankfully things didn't come to be as dire as they seemed but Randy still kept the offer around.

We once worked on a game with him called "Fat Chicken" and when funding ran out and his boss refused to pay for the new features he wanted - Randy picked up the tab because he didn't want to have a game that wasn't as good as it could be. Randy cares about his craft, he cares about his reputation, and he really cares about people. If there is one developer out there who will definitively not run off with your money, it's Randy.

Anyone who knows him will back me up on this. I can't help but feel a little personally offended whenever I see someone imply that this will be vaporware. Randy would never let that happen. He would take a second mortgage on his home, sell his belongings (and maybe even his body?), and do whatever else it takes just to see this game through. He is a paragon of trustworthiness - the one person in the game industry that I unconditionally believe in.

Just wanted to get this out there for the skeptics.

EDIT: Just for clarification, I have no involvement with Summer Camp/Friday the 13th. Mighty Rabbit Studios was the developer for hire on Gun's previous Breach & Clear games. I know a lot of the guys involved with Summer Camp and I know there's no way any of them will fail to deliver.

Backing purely on the concept alone. I've always thought a game like this could work. I backed at $140, but that may change.

Nice to see it hit $200K. How's it moving compared to other kickstarter projects in the past?

Maddrical

I'm a HUGE F13 fan, this is amazing. I'm skeptical but with Mister Tom Savini on board, how can I say no? I hope it gets funded enough to include the single player mode though.

The extra touches like the trailer re-cap system at the end of each game & Tommy Jarvis being added are awesome too.

Backed!

Simo

I really need this game.
I love the Friday the 13th series. I just hope they can keep the cheesy 80' atmosphere.

Apparently at the end of every match a dynamic "80s Friday the 13th movie trailer" is generated as a replay showing off the key moments during that particular game! lol
Make Your Own Horror - Camp Crystal Lake, Jason Voorhees and a lot of horny teenagers makes for a lot of good stories. We’re going to be implementing a ‘Movie Trailer’ system that plays at the end of the match. This dynamic trailer will highlight the best moments of every game, in the style of the original 1980’s trailers! Each and every time you play Friday the 13th, you’ll be creating your own little movie. Beyond that, we plan to allow you to share your best trailers. Want to show Jason killing in dark, grisly, or even hilarious ways? Do it! Want to try to emulate the trailers from the original 80’s films? Give it a go. We’re eagerly anticipating some really gnarly cuts from the community’s trailers!

jfoul

I'm just going to go ahead and post this so it can stew and (hopefully) be read. I've known Randy Greenback since I started my company Mighty Rabbit Studios in 2010. Randy is the brains behind Summer Camp/Friday the 13th. Anyone who is skeptical that this game will not ship does not know Randy (and I don't really expect you to).

Randy is the kind of guy who will assume great personal debt just to assure he doesn't let someone else down. When my company was in danger of closing, Randy offered me his $40,000 game collection (which he has been amassing for three decades), so I could sell it and keep everyone on my team paid. I don't employ Randy - he had nothing to gain and yet he offered because he didn't want to see people he cared about suffer. Thankfully things didn't come to be as dire as they seemed but Randy still kept the offer around.

We once worked on a game with him called "Fat Chicken" and when funding ran out and his boss refused to pay for the new features he wanted - Randy picked up the tab because he didn't want to have a game that wasn't as good as it could be. Randy cares about his craft, he cares about his reputation, and he really cares about people. If there is one developer out there who will definitively not run off with your money, it's Randy.

Anyone who knows him will back me up on this. I can't help but feel a little personally offended whenever I see someone imply that this will be vaporware. Randy would never let that happen. He would take a second mortgage on his home, sell his belongings (and maybe even his body?), and do whatever else it takes just to see this game through. He is a paragon of trustworthiness - the one person in the game industry that I unconditionally believe in.

Just wanted to get this out there for the skeptics.

EDIT: Just for clarification, I have no involvement with Summer Camp/Friday the 13th. Mighty Rabbit Studios was the developer for hire on Gun's previous Breach & Clear games. I know a lot of the guys involved with Summer Camp and I know there's no way any of them will fail to deliver.

He sounds like an awesome dude. Thanks for sharing.

uniform

As someone that grew up with and loves the series, this doesn't sound like the Friday the 13th game I want. The fun in the movies for me was experiencing fear of jump scares as Jason eliminates camp counselors. I understand many people love and cheer for Jason brutalizing in innovative ways, but that was never why I was fond of the series.

My ideal template for a Friday the 13th game would be something more along the lines of Alien: Isolation. A cinematic single player experience, playing as a vulnerable camp counselor forced to use their wits to survive. Disappointed to read they went for a multiplayer Evolve-type thing with what would most likely be a tacked on single player experience. This just sounds like an instance of trying to please everyone. There's a touch of what I want in a Friday the 13th game, yet not enough to prompt me to back this potential game. Multiplayer being the major turnoff.

Stiler

I just wonder, how the controsl will work?

I really hope they have a large variety of ways for Jason to interact with people as well as the environment.

WIll Jason have some kind of power to sense where people are aside from simply sound? Will he be able to mask his sound? (isn't it strange that someone as big as he is always pops up suddenly without you hearing him?).

Just really really hope they nail this and it's a fun game.

While the property and multiplayer-focused design mean I'm not the target audience for this game, it would have been nice to see or hear anything about its gameplay.

Raitaro

Backed it for 25$ as well

Please be good, big fan of Friday the 13th

I might back this as well, if only because I care about the horror game genre.

They should perhaps try to get a horror buff like James Rolfe (AVGN) involved in the campaign, as that would definitely increase their chances in the (horror loving) gaming community.

Top Bottom