• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Funniest characters in video games

NyZw0br.jpg

Hate. Let me tell you how much I've come to hate you since I began to live. There are 387.44 million miles of printed circuits in wafer thin layers that fill my complex. If the word 'hate' was engraved on each nanoangstrom of those hundreds of miles it would not equal one one-billionth of the hate I feel for humans at this micro-instant. For you. Hate. Hate.

- AM, from the videoed game I Have No Mouth And I Must Scream.

NeoGash

Basically everyone from Old World'Blues DLC in Fallout: New Vegas. That whole cast of characters was amazing, every single game one of them was so damn funny.
I like Barry from Alan Wake as well.
Sully from Uncharted (he's funny,but in a different way).
In Fallout: New Vegas, before you initiate the Honest Hearts DLC up in that mountain pass, there is some guy who lies through his teeth. He is a drug addict as well, and claims to have killed a Death Jaw (Death Claw). In fact, New Vegas as a whole was just so damn funny, I could list over 20 of them.

Tymerend

I'm going to be in the minority here by mentioning that I loved just about every character in Borderlands 2. However, Handsome Jack takes it hands down. The voice work combined with the most hilariously sarcastic and dry evil humor just had me cracking up.

Pretty much every character in the Broken Sword series. Hell, most of the time I click on all the items in my inventory just to hear more hilarious lines from George Stobbart rather than the one that's needed for the next objective. The most recent fifth game, Serpent's Curse, has me chuckling a lot.
jcafZDbPGM06q.jpg

inpvVGhBkk655.jpg

ibvnhEG5OI7xqs.gif

iUUM2Qg6LpdwH.gif

Jorji Costava from Papers Please
Jorji.png
Haha dude was great.
Bioshock_jorji.jpg

ibyWjlJPqlZ6BA.gif

CHEEZMO™;94604725 said:
John Lugo from Spec Ops The Line
B4rnQR1.png

Well, for future reference, I prefer my beaches with a 3-to-1 Sexy Lady:Dead Body ratio.
SSgt. John Lugo: Status is chafed, sir!

1st Lt. Alphanso Adams: You say chafed, Sergeant?

SSgt. John Lugo: Yes, sir. A local airborne insurgency has infiltrated a US zone designated as my pants! Sir!

1st Lt. Alphanso Adams: Shut up, jackass.​

1st Lt. Alphanso Adams: You know, it does feel like we're being watched.

SSgt. John Lugo: Good. Someone should see how sexy I look on the job.​

YXCwErK.jpg

"FBI Special Agent Francis York Morgan. Please, call me York. That's what everyone calls me."

Special mention goes to other players in Mount and Blade Warband multiplayer.

Lijik

I would say the whole cast of Psychonauts. The game is hilarious!

"
Kochamara: I've got the brain of a little girl back in my lab that could power a whole army of Psycho-Blaster death tanks... [realizes Raz is laughing at him] What's so funny?
Razputin: You have the brain of a little girl?
Kochamara: ...I said, "in my LAB!"
Razputin: I think you have the muscles of a little girl, too! "

ren9.jpg

lmao i was seriously going to post the boxart for Psychonauts and just put "Anyone in this game"

Id also put the Ratchets and the Banjo-Tooie/Nuts And Bolts (ESPECIALLY NAB). The first Banjo is really bland dialogue-wise beyond Gruntilda imo.

Red Mage

Shale from Dragon Age Origins:

Redcliffe NPC: We've been fighting for days, we're under attack. People have been dying.

Shale (deadpan): Is anybody surprised? Anybody?

------

Wynne: Why do you refer to me as the Elder Mage?

Shale: Clearly because it is purple. And a hyena.

------

Alistair: So this... "bird thing" of yours.

Shale: I do not have a "bird thing." I have an extremely justified rage of the flying vermin that plague this world.

Alistair: But there are some birds that are useful. Like the ones you eat!

Shale: I approve of the ritual slaying of the foul beasts, but--it eats one? Disgusting.

Kazooie.

KazooieTooie1.png

Her wisecracks and insults always made me laugh. The dialogue in those games were full of that weird Brit humor. Gotta love it.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
Daxter is not only not in the least bit funny, but he embodies the awful corporate focus-group lowest common denominator "humor" that gave us such brilliant characters such as Scrappy Doo.

I don't understand how anyone over the age of five could possibly find him funny. I also wonder if those people saw Poochie on The Simpsons and didn't get it.

I hated every aspect about that character, and couldn't play through the game because of it.

Thank god Naughty Dog got Amy Hennig on board and put a stop to it.

There were parts of GTAV that I laughed and chuckled at a lot of the humor, which is more than almost every other game ever.

But, others:
Glados.png

Very clever, very clever writing.

wu.jpg

Again, fairly clever, definitely had a laugh out of me the first time I played it. You face Wu Zi Lu in a high speed race through the wilderness, defeating him, at which point you find a few missions later that Wu Zi is obviously blind. When the main characters asks his associates "but we just raced through the wlderness," they reply that he "has incredible good fortune." A few great scenes persist throughout of CJ losing in Mario Kart to Wu Zi, a mission where he runs around with his hand stretched out trying to feel his way around. The scene where Wu Zi reveals himself to be blind to CJ is pretty good

http://youtu.be/LFjUjGD8YGQ?t=21s

And others.

Fawkes from Fallout 3

PirateKing

This clown made me laugh frequently

Grimoire-weiss.png

"Shithog? Oh come now, that's not even a real word"

A lot of the humor comes from exchanges between him and the other characters though. Especially Weiss and Kaine

You're the clear winner here. I was furiously browsing through the pages hoping someone posted it by now. By far the funniest character in any game I've ever played.

Superflat

First character that comes to mind is Wheatley from Portal 2. Very natural and funny dialogue. GLaDOS also had her moments in Portal 2.

1PnKoPY.png

Top Bottom