• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Funny conclusions people jumped to while game info was scarce

Å

Åesop

Unconfirmed Member
The Joakim Mogren interview was CGI!

2455703-vlcsnap-2013-03-15-19h05m22s9.png

I mean they're factually not barebones with loads of new features, moreso than any other enhanced version yet

But, to each their own.

At risk of turning this into a Pokemon thread, this is kind of a Pokemon thread.

Pokemon fans love conjecture. They're like Super Smash Bros fans that way. They have very detailed notions about the future of the series and always believe certain things are inevitable or, conversely, impossible. The difference with Pokemon is that these beliefs are also held by people who do not actively keep up with the series. The result is that almost everybody has an idea of what kind of content Pokemon should have and almost nobody is completely satisfied when the reality.

People complain about USM because it is currently unconfirmed to have a Battle Facility or new Alolan Forms, which are the most popular feature requests. No amount of other supplemental material is going to alleviate the absence of that content. So until that content is revealed, people will complain USM is barebones. If it is not present in the game, people will complain indefinitely, because this content was "obvious" based on their fan conjecture.

The guy who based off like the first trailer/teaser came up with the entire idea that you would play as a Big Boss Doppelganger in MGSV

Except he was completely fucking right

Tbf, we should have seen it coming after the (brilliant) trailer at Keighley's show where MGS5 was shown as some MGS knockoff instead.

"Splatoon Switch is a port" was maddening, but it was also part of a wider trend where people kept insisting that Nintendo was porting every old Wii U game to Switch within the first year based on rumors, that the Switch's lineup would be overrun with Wii U ports, and Splatoon Switch was seen as part of that.

Mario Kart came because MK8 was huge, and Pokken was relatively recent had arcade updates to put in a new version, but people were sure that Smash Wii U, Mario Maker, Splatoon 1, and probably a bunch else were all right around the corner for 2017. Even when it was pointed out that the Splatoon footage from the Switch reveal video contained new maps, new lighting, and a bunch of brand new/changed assets and designs that they wouldn't bother with for a port, some wouldn't budge on it because of the rumors, and up until the title was announced were adamant it would be Splatoon: Subtitle. This thought process was so pervasive that people had to come up with the "I bet Splatoon 2 was a port until they added stuff to it" idea, which I guarantee wouldn't be the case if the rumors hadn't existed.

Keym

Also it's not that funny but I remember back when the first FF9 trailers were out, discussions on GameFAQs thinking this said "Tifa" because of the font and was linked to FF7 somehow.

cgYkSW2.png
Holy shit, I remember seeing that in another forum I went to at the time.

SOLDIER

“Final Fantasy VII Remake is going to take another ten years, this is Versus all over again and Nomura is a lazy hack who needs a co-director”.

Crayolan

IIRC people only freaked out at the design of rabbid peach, not saying the game will be bad. Some may be skeptical, but that's all.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=489769

This thread is interesting in hindsight.

Nah, I was pretty sure the game was gonna be garbage. I was pretty surprised when impressions were so positive, and I admit it does look much than I expected even if I still don't have much interest in playing it.

Audioboxer

Final Fantasy 13 will be a good game and it going to Xbox 360 is the end of Sony.

lol, this is bait, but FF13 was indeed mediocre at best

SOLDIER

GAF is pretty much determined to pre-hate every new FF, then rave about it when it comes out, and then continue to hate it after the fact.

GAF is pretty much determined to pre-hate every new FF, then rave about it when it comes out, and then continue to hate it after the fact.

Then slowly build a hardcore fanbase who 10 years later will say it really was great. Yes, we have a hardcore FF13 fanbase here and it still today baffles me.

Switch is doomed at that launch price. I wasn't on GAF back in the day but I agreed with those posts. Now I will likely buy one next month and it's selling like hotcakes. Delicious crow.

Destiny 2 has no co-op campaign. Eh, that didn't turn out very true.

Nearly every loot box discussion on GAF this past month. Some games were underestimated (BF2), others were unfairly criticized (AC: Origins doesn't have loot boxes), others were completely misunderstood (Forza 7 does have loot boxes but most people believed they lowered the rewards to favour loot boxes when they actually increased them).

Tomb Raider: Next Generation (later becoming Angel Of Darkness) was supposed to be amazing and revolutionary. Ended up being shit.

Special mention goes to Valve revealing their new IP, Artifact. For a split second people expected something worthwile. Then they showed "a DOTA card game" underneath and, well, expectations shattered.

Destiny 2 open world is going to be huge with small settlements and towns

Also this. Never expect much change from Activision. People thought that the more powerful consoles and the different time eras will make Call Of Duty evolve into something bigger, with giant battlefields, vehicular combat, destructible arenas (after they toyed with the idea with scripted desctruction zones in Ghosts). And yet one generation and many iterations later it's still mostly down to 6v6 stale maps. I enjoy the games but yeah, not exactly revolutionized in the years. COD WWII seems like the biggest step forward since forever and it still doesn't change much tbh.

Puruzi

Banned
While I am excited to see the new additions to Pokemon Ultra Sun and Ultra Moon, I can't say that it got rid off my concerns for those games.

Yes, I've seen the trailers showcasing the ultra world and such, but who can tell me how much of the story this will be?

I am not convinced that the story will be greatly expanded.

Black/White2 are still the gold standard for follow-up games.
Black and White 2 aren't third versions.

people kept insisting that Nintendo was porting every old Wii U game to Switch within the first year based on rumors, that the Switch's lineup would be overrun with Wii U ports, and Splatoon Switch was seen as part of that.

As some1 who'll never get a wii u, id actually like a bunch of ports.

Åesop;251661983 said:
The Joakim Mogren interview was CGI!

2455703-vlcsnap-2013-03-15-19h05m22s9.png

Didn't everyone think it was done in The Fox Engine?

It would've made sense since leading up to that KojiPro kept showing off nearly photorealistic shots taken in engine.

Fou-Lu

Then slowly build a hardcore fanbase who 10 years later will say it really was great. Yes, we have a hardcore FF13 fanbase here and it still today baffles me.

Final Fantasy XIII might not be the best FF game, and it certainly has some major flaws, but I love it as an overall package. Sorry if that offends you. ... I do totally fit into your projections though because it took me a very long time to give the game a real shot (i.e. get past the massive tutorial section) and realize I actually really liked it. I was hating on it with everyone else before that.

I also like most of the sequels and spin-offs, FFXV and think FFII is the best of the original trilogy of FF games though, so I am basically the boogie man of the FF fandom.

"Xenoblade 2 will be delayed into next year"

That was always my favorite.

Sometimes they actually had me almost convinced, but my pure anticipation kept me believing it would come out this year and I was rewarded.

Bumhead

Banned
Someone could probably re-write the entirety of the last few Rockstar games based on incorrect assumptions from the trailers.

"That's Tommy Vercetti!!"

Someone could probably re-write the entirety of the last few Rockstar games based on incorrect assumptions from the trailers.

"That's Tommy Vercetti!!"

Lol yeah i'm remembering the first trailer for V featured a homeless man standing around and people were really trying to say that he was an older Niko.

Weebos

Banned
"There's no way Xenoblade Chronicles 2 will release in 2017!"

Jury is still out on this one. Though it is looking good.

People that think Pokemon USUM is "bare bones" are being willfully ignorant. We don't know yet if it is going to be a great third version packed with new stuff, but it has already demonstrated that it is adding enough to not be "bare bones".

Now, if what has been shown isn't enough for you to want USUM, that's fine, live your life, but that is a different conversation.

Crawl

Before the release of the PS4 and Xbone and more concrete information coming out. Some people thought that certain publishers would "align" themselves with one console maker.

They in turn would then refuse to make games for both console platforms because they thought it was be a bloodbath sales wise and it would be more beneficial for all publishers to back on console maker because games were too expensive to make for multiple console platforms.

khaaan

Final Fantasy XV isn't showing fantasy areas because they're avoiding spoilers! There will be plenty of fantastical areas to explore alongside realistic areas like Duscae and Leide.

This is a good one, especially because SE's marketing backed it up on a regular basis.

What was the expectation from "Fantasy areas"? I thought the environment variety was pretty good unless people were expecting something more in line with FFXIV.

"Super Mario Odyssey is just a demo to show off the Switch and not a real game!"

Still one of the dumbest things I've ever heard.

Why? It's not like Nintendo hasn't used their IP's to create content for demo purposes in the past.

first hints of GTA5 was coming, cant forget the "gonna suck because GTA4" crowd

cue in the $1 Billion sale announcement in just 2-3 days and ending as the best game of two gens

JoeM86

Yes, I've seen the trailers showcasing the ultra world and such, but who can tell me how much of the story this will be?

From what we've seen, the story has been flipped on its head. It doesn't look like it's Aether Foundation and Lusamine who are crazy.

I have heard neither conclusion in regards to both games. Don't get me wrong, I'm sure someone said these things somewhere but they both never were a mainstream point of discussion.

"No towns in BOTW" was absolutely, 100% a mainstream point of discussion. To the extent that people who contradicted it were often labeled as wishful thinking.

Nightbird

Black and White 2 aren't third versions.

Which is why I said follow ups, and not third games

From what we've seen, the story has been flipped on its head. It doesn't look like it's Aether Foundation and Lusamine who are crazy.

The trailers to SM made me think that UB's would have a bigger role than they ended up having, so I'm not gonna trust the trailers again.

Raven117

Monster Hunter World being a big one...But that said...Games do have a tendancy to go more casual...and with it not being a numbered one and not being on 3DS, I can't say I blame the fans too much on that.

Xenoblade 2...everyone here thought no way this year.

Top Bottom