• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Funny conclusions people jumped to while game info was scarce

Monster Hunter World being a big one...But that said...Games do have a tendancy to go more casual...and with it not being a numbered one and not being on 3DS, I can't say I blame the fans too much on that.

Xenoblade 2...everyone here thought no way this year.

I wouldn't say everyone. A large chunk of us didn't think they would delay it to 2018 after announcing it as a 2017 title at E3...

FSLink

Banned
This thought process was so pervasive that people had to come up with the "I bet Splatoon 2 was a port until they added stuff to it" idea, which I guarantee wouldn't be the case if the rumors hadn't existed.

I mean this part is probably true in a literal sense, but it doesn't matter. I mean, did people expect Nintendo to work on a sequel from complete scratch? It's like being mad there's OOT assets hidden in Majora's Mask.

ViolentP

ARMS was going to be the next big competitive fighter.

Playstation 4 Pro would do native 4K.

Xbox One X will do native 4K.

ToonLink

I remember the one about BotW having no towns, just because they were absent in the plateau E3 demo. Which was pretty ridiculous considering we knew it was just 5% of the game and the starting area.

timberger

"Square-Enix weren't talking about the PC port of Nier Automata in the run up to release because of Sony moneyhatting a delay for it at the last minute!"

Turned out the PC version came out the following week(With Steam exclusive DLC no less!) and they'd seemingly gone quiet because the PC version was a fucking mess.

But oh, how certain gaffers positively raged about it definitely all being Sony's fault.

Monster Hunter World is a dumbed down spinoff for the west!

Also: "Sony won't let Capcom release it on Switch or localise MHXX."

There are several Nintendo fanboys on gaf who have apparently taken this as gospel despite zero evidence to back it up.

autoduelist

Here's two very recent ones:

"Super Mario Switch is a 3D runner."

"They haven't shown towns yet which means Breath of the Wild will have no towns."

Both of these sound more like joke posts OP took seriously. I mean, like the Super Mario one - that screenshot does resemble an endless runner, so someone took a pot shot. Clearly nobody actually -thought- that.

Kinda the reverse but I remember before Mario Odyssey was officially announced, somebody on gaf was saying people shouldn't assume the Mario footage shown during the Switch reveal was for a game that actually exist.

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
"The end game of Shadow of War is a 40-50 hour grind unless you buy loot boxes to get legendary orcs that don't spawn in the actual game."

Both of these sound more like joke posts OP took seriously. I mean, like the Super Mario one - that screenshot does resemble an endless runner, so someone took a pot shot. Clearly nobody actually -thought- that.

I distinctly remember people literally thinking it could be a runner.

And a lot of people thought it was going to be Mario 3D World 2.

OchreHand

Åesop;251661983 said:
The Joakim Mogren interview was CGI!

2455703-vlcsnap-2013-03-15-19h05m22s9.png

Oh hah! I forgot about this! I actually never bothered to read the conclusion but I vaguely remember people posting "Team Real" in the thread

Cepheus

Idk if this counts but I was 100% convinced that the Wii U version of Breath of the Wild would get canned as to not compete with the Switch version/make the game look better by being a standalone title (you can't get this on any other system) etc. I thought this right up until it actually came out.

"Sony ordered/paid SE to cancel the PC version of Nier: Automata!!!"

That Nier: Automata delayed PC version thread was fucking crazy.

JC Lately

I remember when Final Fantasy VIII was first revealed. The only characters announced at first were Squall and Laguna. Then the logo dropped and showed Squall embracing someone with long hair. We now know that's Rinoa, but then the only known character at the time with long hair was Laguna. Cue several posts on several forums angrily declaring they wouldn't touch the game if it had "fucking gays" in it.

Ryuuga

Banned
Destiny 2 open world is going to be huge with small settlements and towns

How did this one turn out? I remember people telling me that moving away from the previous generation hardware gave them the ability to make more expansive worlds packed with content. The prime reason why the visuals didn't see a dramatic upgrade I was told.

Saven

Banned
The PS2 demo of FFXII made you select two different areas and made you complete objectives to pass each area. People immediately assumed that it was going to be a level/mission-based game with no world to explore. It was fucking hilarious.

stephen08

I remember people being livid about there not being a female Fallout 4 player character option.

Another one was the Reef was shown in a super early video for Destiny and people complained they cut content to sell it later. Of course, the Reef eventually came out as a social space meaning it didn’t really have much gameplay content to withhold and everyone had access to it anyway.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe

you weren't here were in those threads were you? really shitty, but at least you can forgive those posts for looking at uncertainty since Switch was new there

posters here literally state E3 builds as final versions (ARMS, Mario) - now that is something insane and dumb that I wonder what fueled them to have those views

How did this one turn out? I remember people telling me that moving away from the previous generation hardware gave them the ability to make more expansive worlds packed with content. The prime reason why the visuals didn't see a dramatic upgrade I was told.

It didn't, all of the worlds are still made of small-ish, instanced areas. They are bigger than Destiny 1 and have more going on in them but the game didn't suddenly become Skyrim.

tkscz

We're totally getting a Pokemon Z, guys. It just obvious!

We've gotta be getting Pokemon Stars for Switch!

Well, this one is still up in the air. We are getting a Pokemon main RPG for the Switch, but we haven't been given a name yet.

tkscz

Idk if this counts but I was 100% convinced that the Wii U version of Breath of the Wild would get canned as to not compete with the Switch version/make the game look better by being a standalone title (you can't get this on any other system) etc. I thought this right up until it actually came out.

So many people kept thinking this, even after the game could be ordered on the eShop. I never understood why people thought this.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Well, this one is still up in the air. We are getting a Pokemon main RPG for the Switch, but we haven't been given a name yet.

You do realize it has been debunked right? Like literally, GF said the Switch deal is something new, not something whoever leaked has stated.

Orayn

I'll admit I bought into the idea that Monster Hunter World was greatly simplified game that would miss the whole point of the series. Luckily it's a Monster Hunter-ass Monster Hunter with a bunch of reasonable changes and updates.

We haven't seen much of The Order: 1886 cause it's actually a horror game in hiding.
"That trailer looks cool, I can't wait to play as Snake again in MGS2!"
I don't think intentional misdirection really qualifies.

Kojima even tricked actual film directors into believing that the story of MGSV was gonna something other than laughably bad with those trailers.
That Phantom Pain announcement trailer is still pretty dope.

I recall a Pojo.com feature back in like, 2000 about a guy’s experience playing through Pokémon Gold in Japanese. Since he didn’t know the language, he had to go off of some weird assumptions, like the in-game phone being a walkie talkie (I suppose cellphones weren’t as widespread in America back then), the rival being a girl and the Bug Catching Contest being an auction of some kind. Not to mention the myriad of rumors, “Pikablue,” (turned out to be Marill which had nothing to do with the Pikachu line, and was also terrible) skateboarding, (dunno whatever happened to that, guess they figured the bike made it redundant) a girl player character (which actually was implemented in Crystal finally).

Cepheus

So many people kept thinking this, even after the game could be ordered on the eShop. I never understood why people thought this.

Because this happens a lot with games that are in development hell. Games switch platforms. Mother 3 went from the SNES to the N64 to the GBA, for example. So it wouldn't be a stretch to say that even though BoTW started on Wii U, it would have been moved to the Switch.

tkscz

You do realize it has been debunked right? Like literally, GF said the Switch deal is something new, not something whoever leaked has stated.

I meant a Pokemon game in general. Not Pokemon Star, but an RPG and not just a random spin-off. Isn't that what they said at E3?

BiggNife

I recall a Pojo.com feature back in like, 2000 about a guy’s experience playing through Pokémon Gold in Japanese. Since he didn’t know the language, he had to go off of some weird assumptions, like the in-game phone being a walkie talkie (I suppose cellphones weren’t as widespread in America back then), the rival being a girl and the Bug Catching Contest being an auction of some kind. Not to mention the myriad of rumors, “Pikablue,” (turned out to be Marill which had nothing to do with the Pikachu line, and was also terrible) skateboarding, (dunno whatever happened to that, guess they figured the bike made it redundant) a girl player character (which actually was implemented in Crystal finally).

Oh man, I loved those late 90's magazines like Pojo and Beckett where the writers were literally making shit up because no one on the team spoke Japanese. Those were the days.

Top Bottom