• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Funny conclusions people jumped to while game info was scarce

Ambient80

The trailer for TLoU2 had someone claiming that Ellie must be transsexual, IIRC because she had manly hands or something.

I guess it'd be more honest to say there isn't nearly enough new content in US/UM to justify it's existence for me.

What they showed so far is on-par with the other third versions, but if post-game is barebones (somewhat likely I guess) I'll agree with the statement.

But I think MHW is kinda in the same spot. I know GAF loves it, but it's obvious design was changed in some ways to make it more west-friendly. It's Capcom, skepticism until release is never enough with them.

'Link is a girl'/'There's a female Link' when all we had to go on was the concept art. People were reeeaaallly over-analysing Link's eyelashes for like 3 months.

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
'Star Wars Battlefront won't look anywhere near as good as the reveal trailer, it was all fake and will be downgraded'.

Ahasverus

OMG THAT GREEN SYMBOL ON THE MGS PAGE TOTALLY LOOKS LIKE THE 360 POWER BUTTON

MGS4 IS COMING TO THE 360 LOLOL SONY GIVE UP ALREADY

But what about Yellow, Crystal, Emerald and Platinum? US+UM are way larger than those and actually change up the game in major ways.

For me a lot of it comes from how fast this is being released. Exactly a year later we have "upgraded versions" of Sun/Moon releasing. I also felt that Sun/Moon towards the end of the game felt rushed and unfinished. It leaves this feeling that this was the game we were supposed to get.

Of course I'm aware they did in fact release the original GB Pokemon games "third version" not long after their initial version but R/S and beyond seemed to space it out better. So for me, it isn't offering nearly enough content and is releasing far too soon after the previous entry it's taking from for me to be positive on.

In the end you're absolutely right. As a whole this offers more than other "third versions" of previous games but I don't think it goes far enough and it's coming too fast. Sorry for my not so apt response about it earlier.

But I think MHW is kinda in the same spot. I know GAF loves it, but it's obvious design was changed in some ways to make it more west-friendly. It's Capcom, skepticism until release is never enough with them.

I have a lot of friends who are really into MH but the most negative take I've gotten from them is how the game could use more colorful monsters/areas. Some of that was of course alleviated in the recent TGS blowout.

When I see the "Westernized MH" talk I think of people on the extreme end of things. There's no doubt they have refined and updated things in the game both to evolve the series and make it more approachable.

Your Capcom skepticism is warranted though. For me this is the only Capcom game this generation for me that still looks great after it's reveal.

Trunx28

came into this thread thinking it was about the 90s when we got our gaming information out of monthly magazines .. THOSE were great times, especially when they did specials with interesting, japan-only games. I remember reading the review for FFIII, which received the highest scores, and really, really wanted to play it .. only to hear that it would never leave the states .. It was the first game I played on zsnes :D

xboxster

The Halo 2 ARG "I love bees" is some kind of sign of the end of the world.

People on Gearbox Halo 1 PC forums were an odd bunch.

Manu

"Capcom is charing real money for lives in Resident Evil Revelations 2!"

I still remember the meltdowns over that one. Shameful.

"Breath of the Wild only has four main dungeons and all the shrines look exactly the same?" was a pretty popular one, though that ended up coming true.

"That's not the real Big Boss because something something e-cigar and ponytail", too :p

"WTF is this Splatoon game? Nintendo pandering to the online shooter community with a kiddy CoD knockoff? Shame!"

Still eating crows on this one.

Cepheus

Breath of the Wild Link is a girl. People are still angry that this Game-Theory-esque rumour never came to fruition.

Also, the Super Mario Odyssey footage being a tech demo. I admittedly bought into that one.

And Splatoon 2 being a Switch port of the first game. While I know it isn't now, I still reckon it started out as a port but they ended up changing it a ton during development.

Nintendo will drop the 3DS the instant the Switch comes out

Piers

'NX is less powerful than Xbone? Nintendoomed.'

Any Nintendo hardware speculation will always have some manner of "Nintendo's learnt their lesson and it will surely be at least as powerful as [current gen hardware] :D" and it cracks me up when specs or screenshots start trickling out and those same people are in disbelief and horrified.

It's not quite funny, and also a reasonable conclusion, but people assuming Silent Hills was going to be better than P.T. In retrospect, Silent Hills could of became The Phantom Pain to P.T.'s Ground Zeroes with the state of Konami at the time. If the straw had broken the camel's back much later, who knows what Konami would of done to the project and its budget up to release.
Besides that, I somehow doubt SH would of lived up to P.T.'s amazing shadow-dropped experience. That latter of which is precisely because it came right out of no where.
(This in itself also counts as jumping to a conclusion, though, but seemed interesting to bring up)

"Why are people so excited? They're just re-releasing upscaled versions of the old Crash games"

"I can't wait until these games finally bomb so people can see how Crash was never good and will never be relevant again."

Almost every.

other.

post.

Today: *tumbleweed*

Where'd all the naysayers go?

Cepheus

People worked themselves into a frenzy over this one. They would not be persuaded otherwise.

It's so weird. I'm not opposed to Link being a girl (it technically happened with Linkle) but like in this particular game, he wasn't, and people flipped.

And now we have people boycotting the game over a rumour that never came true.

I vividly remember the debate about Lego City Undercover on Switch! People were up in arms that you'd need to download half the game when buying the physical version. I believe the logic was based on a smaller file size vs. the Xbox/PS4 versions and an incorrect "online required" sticker on the box.

To be honest I didn't think BotW had towns before I actually got the game in my hands. I was pleasantly surprised to see that there were plenty.

BTA

I really don't think anything about BotW Link counts.

We had fairly credible leakers saying they'd heard about the female option, so it's not like it was due to overanalyzing the trailer alone or anything.

We had fairly credible leakers saying they'd heard about the female option, so it's not like it was due to overanalyzing the trailer alone or anything.

Actually i remember back in 2014 when the teaser trailer came out ,loong before the rumours, people were speculating that Link was a female in the teaser cuz his body looked "feminine" in the trailer and that he had a pony tail.

Someone probably saw Gerudo Link without context and got so excited that he leaked to insiders without learning more.

Piers

Dark-Souls-II-1.jpg
FromSoftware will restore the E3 lighting in a patch/PC version for Dark Souls II.

Nightbird

While I am excited to see the new additions to Pokemon Ultra Sun and Ultra Moon, I can't say that it got rid off my concerns for those games.

Yes, I've seen the trailers showcasing the ultra world and such, but who can tell me how much of the story this will be?

I am not convinced that the story will be greatly expanded.

Black/White2 are still the gold standard for follow-up games.

kc44135

"Resident Evil 7 will be a hide n' seek horror game like Outlast. LAME!"
I was one of the people that thought this. :/

RE7 has no weapons or combat.

People still went crazy about this even after we got tons of confirmation it has combat just like every RE game.

Village

The guy who based off like the first trailer/teaser came up with the entire idea that you would play as a Big Boss Doppelganger in MGSV

Except he was completely fucking right

Top Bottom