• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Future Insomniac games leaked

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
Apart from GT7 which is a tentpole PlayStation IP, none of those other games are on the same funding level as Uncharted, TLoU, God of War, etc. I was talking about large AAA games.
Of course, they are not. 95% of the time, you need a 3rd person Action/Adventure game for it to be a large AAA game.

Your argument was that Sony doesn't take risks by investing into smaller projects. That's not true; they still do. If people like those games, they'd become bigger AAA games.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
I'm all for insomniac doing whatever they do, they are a top class studio that struggled for a long time. Immense talent that deserves job security.

The thing that surprises me more than anything is how much these games cost, the timeline of releases and how little Sony games sell on PC. Also the expected decline of sales on their titles.

I'm all for insomniac doing whatever they do, they are a top class studio that struggled for a long time. Immense talent that deserves job security.

The thing that surprises me more than anything is how much these games cost, the timeline of releases and how little Sony games sell on PC. Also the expected decline of sales on their titles.
I guess it puts into perspective the reason Jim Ryan wanted to pivot the entire PlayStation catalogue of developers towards creating GAAS games. Games like Spiderman and God of War are becoming more costly as times moves on and the risk of getting your money back becomes unfathomable.

sankt-Antonio

:^)--?-<
The cost of these games is reported that high to either show Marvel that they spend the contractual amount on the game and/or to do tax shenanigans. SP2's assets are 90% carry over from the two prior games, using an updated engine. This cant have cost them 400mill to make.

People can cry all they want but I'm happy because I want my Venom, Spidey, Wolverine, and X-Men games.

These games are gonna sell a ton as there are lots of people that have been begging for these superhero games for years just like me. The people complaining are a very small but vocal minority and I'm sure Sony knows that. It's not like Insomniac will lose their entire identity anyway. The calendar also shows new IPs as well as a new R&C game in the works.
Yeah, there's nothing wrong with that. Those games will have mass appeal and probably sell a ton and considering who's making them, they will have insane production values and while not masterpieces they'll be good. I don't really like the idea of them becoming a Marvel only developer, but if that earns them money good for them.
But I'm glad they're making these games and not wasting time on creating GAAS.

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions
It also turns out that the hack itself did not present much of a problem, with the spokesperson saying: “We were able to get the domain administrator within 20–25 minutes of hacking the network.”

Took them 25 mins to do this. 1 million files and 1.25 TB in 20 mins.

Last edited:
WTF is wrong with gamers? Letting Rift Apart lose money.
Dont ever give up on Ratchet Insomniac. It's your heart and soul.
I think that was also a timing issue. It released exclusively on current gen six months after the hardware released.
Not many people could get their hands on a PS5 for almost two years after it released so it made sense that this game would go under even though it's great.

RavionUHD

I would say the PC sales are mostly pretty good, especially God of War and Horizon.
Wouldnt expect more if you release games much later (2 years or more).

ProtoByte

Tbh looks like people are being way more tired for Marvel media after Endgame.
People are tired of shit Marvel.

ANAD or anything post 2010 in Marvel comics was never going to entertain people long term. The key is to remain faithful to the classic stuff and do a good job at it. People will devour comic accurate Wolverine/X-Men.

Assuming Insomniac doesn't course correct with Spider-Man and get off the Miles high horse though, maybe Spider-Man 3 will dip. But it won't flop.

Ar¢tos

All Marvel stuff?
giphy.webp

Last edited:

Three

Nice. If Sony aint gonna announce any 1st party games, leak the fuck out of em.

Sucks it had to be Insomniac, the only one actually holding down the fort.

And yeah, Marvel gave them the keys to everything. Spider-Man 3 PS5/PS6 cross gen confirmed. Ratchet next gen only. Then Xmen their real PS6 game.
It was likely due to the hacks

2026 seems too far for Wolverine, I thought it would be a 24 game.

That Venom game sounds like the Miles Morales to Spidey 2.
The 2024 date for Wolverine is simply impossible. 2025 is a push to be honest, I'd say 2026 is probably right. Venom is presumably reusing the environments from SM2 so that's why it's coming first.

Ghostage

Disappointing with that much Marvel stuff, they should do something else after Wolverine and Ratchet and Clank.

Last edited:

Kenneth Haight

Gold Member
Zzz Ok GIF by Jim Gaffigan

Looks extremely boring to me personally, I’m sure they’ll be great games but like many others so unbelievably jaded by the MCU.

Last edited:

twilo99

The cost of these games is reported that high to either show Marvel that they spend the contractual amount on the game and/or to do tax shenanigans. SP2's assets are 90% carry over from the two prior games, using an updated engine. This cant have cost them 400mill to make.

Game studios carry a lot of bloat too..

This thread is quite something to see. Back when Marvel was at their peak in movies in TV(which honestly wasn’t that long ago), people online were begging for good games to go along with them(partly because Activision and Sega had a chokehold on their properties for a long, long time and kept releasing mediocre games).

Now people are finally getting their wish and quite a few responses here are ‘I don’t want any of this’

give-up.gif

ADiTAR

ידע זה כוח
This thread is quite something to see. Back when Marvel was at their peak in movies in TV(which honestly wasn’t that long ago), people online were begging for good games to go along with them(partly because Activision and Sega had a chokehold on their properties for a long, long time and kept releasing mediocre games).

Now people are finally getting their wish and quite a few responses here are ‘I don’t want any of this’

give-up.gif
That's because Marvel is not at their peak anymore. It's understandable that Marvel has saturated the market and people are like, yeah, I'm kinda burned out on superheroes.

ProtoByte

give-up.gif
The fickle internet strikes again.

As if Insomniac wasn't pumping out Ratchet and Clank at an even more insane clip way before Marvel ever came into the equation.

Also, people who don't like licenses are in for a nasty surprise going forward. Licenses are probably coming back in full force for the game industry. New IP that can become a franchise for 10-15 years is just so difficult and expensive to make.

hinch7

As someone who doesn't care for Ratchet and Clank, this lineup is pretty decent. Wolverine is way further than expected though, which sucks. And a new, good Xmen game. Hell yes.

Got to be awful for the guys at Insomniac though. Just before Xmas too.

That's because Marvel is not at their peak anymore. It's understandable that Marvel has saturated the market and people are like, yeah, I'm kinda burned out on superheroes.
I'd agree with you if Spider-Man 2 didn't just break records for Sony.

People may be tired of the MCU but that has nothing to do with the videogames, and outside of Batman and Spiderman there have been very few good superhero games and there's a very strong demand and want for good superhero games.

Top Bottom