• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Future Playstation All Stars Battle Royale DLC Cancelled?

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
And lightbox fucked it up. Sony signed a multi-game deal because they made Warhawk which was a success, they had faith in them which was wholly justified.
And Nihilistic fucked it up.
And well yeah the move failed no shocker there.

Only one where I'll blame Sony on is with Nihilistic, they should've gotten more help with Resistance and unfortunately most likely were rushed like hell by Sony and Activision for Blops vita.
See:

It's a publisher's job to assess a game's marketability and bring down the axe. Sony funds these projects.

They've been far too "laissez-faire" throughout the whole generation.

Look man. If you searched my post history, when PSBR was first announced I was the first one who was excited and ready jump in... until they announced complete character roaster.

I'm all for genre like this, a fun party game. But for a character game, PSBR just utterly, absolutely, fucking failed to deliver in character section.

Hey man I'm right with you, from day one I was against lame third party cash ins and pushing for a more Sony centric roster that made sense. I was actually ok with the initial reveal until they showed off Big Daddy, then my hype and expectations went into the shitter.

It's chasing good money after bad. The game is a bust, time to move on. Put that money towards Ascension DLC.

There is a legitimate market for this type of game, it's on Nintendo platforms and called Smash Bros.

I still don't understand this argument. There were mascot brawlers before SSB, SSB just popularized it. They don't own the genre, plus the more competition for SSB the better.

Well there you go

Oh thank god, at least they're saying they're looking into it. Hopefully we do get a bigger roster that could possibly help the game get some legs :\

You may not be the only one but you are in the super minority. Hence the mega bombed game.

Too bad that we won't see PSBR2. Heavily updated, more focused characters with better mechanics could make this game fly.

This is all I wanted after being let down with PSABR. I want a better, more well rounded roster with zero lame cash ins and a traditional ring out/health/percentage=KO system, with the super system on top of it? That way fans of both concepts are happy. I definitely think they can work.

Also, as a pretty devout SSB fan, my main gripe with the smash ball concept is that it's so random - a lot of people turned it off because of that. If they just had the super system work on top of ring outs and health/percentages, it would have been perfect IMO. Instead we got a new scoring system forced onto us and it backfired. They could have easily changed it post launch IMO, but they were stubborn with their design choices.

Also, as a pretty devout SSB fan, my main gripe with the smash ball concept is that it's so random - a lot of people turned it off because of that. If they just had the super system work on top of ring outs and health/percentages, it would have been perfect IMO. Instead we got a new scoring system forced onto us and it backfired. They could have easily changed it post launch IMO, but they were stubborn with their design choices.

I've always seen (in 1v1 mind you) my opponent's super bar as my SSB equivalent damage percentage bar. The only difference is that a super is way harder to land than a random smash attack.

I had my reservations before playing the game, but after playing for so long I have no problem with it.

I've always seen (in 1v1 mind you) my opponent's super bar as my SSB equivalent damage percentage bar. The only difference is that a super is way harder to land than a random smash attack.

I had my reservations before playing the game, but after playing for so long I have no problem with it.

Yeah but the problem is that learning curve. People always start out feeling like they're doing nothing, and once you miss your super you just get super upset. I dunno, it still feels like more work to me or something :\ I still think they can do a traditional system on top of the super system.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
I still don't understand this argument. There were mascot brawlers before SSB, SSB just popularized it. They don't own the genre, plus the more competition for SSB the better.

Is PSASBR even the best-selling Smash clone?

I mean I know it's not a big field in the first place, but weren't PSASBR sales super low?

Skyzard

Banned
Tbh I hope Santa Monica don't stop supporting this game for at least 9 more months especially since a sequel isn't likely soon.

The game is great regardless of how well it sold and I'm sure most people who are interested in it or bought it would love the additions too. I'm surprised people here don't enjoy party brawlers. I've seen all the complaints and none of them make me not want to play. The only thing is balance updates and more characters are needed which hopefully SM are taking care of. Not sure what's going on with Abe though.

Absolutely. The shitty roster killed Superbot. There's no way they wanted it.

I keep seeing this, and while I agree that characters such as Fat Princess had no place in this, what about characters like Kratos, Sackboy, Drake, Sweet Tooth, and Cole (seems to generally be a liked character)?

Even third party ones like Raiden and Big Daddy are popular characters.

Those ones appeal to most Sony fans, and then you have "deep cuts" like Sir Dan and Nariko that seemed to be very popular with the core fans that remember Medieval and liked Heavenly Sword.

With Smash Bros., who was truly excited to play as Lucario, or Ness' friend (or even Ness in Melee)?

With Smash Bros., who was truly excited to play as Lucario, or Ness' friend (or even Ness in Melee)?

The legions of Mother fans that still inexplicably exist after years of punishment and neglect... but you see, those characters are from big Nintendo franchises. Pokemon is huge, and they were always going to go with a current Pokemon (hence why Raiden and Dante look like they do in PSASBR). Mother less so, but Ness is basically the equivalent of Sweet Tooth. Hasn't had a game in years, (until very recently) but everybody loves him.

I suppose what people were pissed over most were characters like Big Daddy... seemed pretty throwaway to me. I mean, I don't even like Snake in Brawl (Uses an MGS4 song... the fuck?), so maybe that's just me.

No_Style

the Abe games in the Oddworld series are definitely associated most with the PlayStation.

Funny enough thanks to Microsoft's moneyhatting and me not paying attention to PlayStation One games, I associate it with the Xbox.

Ivan 3414

I keep seeing this, and while I agree that characters such as Fat Princess had no place in this, what about characters like Kratos, Sackboy, Drake, Sweet Tooth, and Cole (seems to generally be a liked character)?

Those ones appeal to most Sony fans, and then you have "deep cuts" like Sir Dan and Nariko that seemed to be very popular with the core fans that remember Medieval and liked Heavenly Sword.

Playstation All-Stars doesn't have close to the starpower the original SSB had to carry its Nesses and Captain Falcons.

Also Lucario was a popular character among the younger kids that were into Pokemon, just like Mewtwo was.

diffusionx

Gold Member

I would say that characters you mentioned on top were like... the bare minimum as a starting point. Only Drake and Kratos are no-brainer characters like Mario/Luigi/Link/Bowser. That's the problem. All the other no-brainers are owned by other companies.

Nariko is bottom-of-the-barrel stuff. Heavenly Sword was awful.

I would say that characters you mentioned on top were like... the bare minimum as a starting point. Only Drake and Kratos are no-brainer characters like Mario/Luigi/Link/Bowser. That's the problem. All the other no-brainers are owned by other companies.

Nariko is bottom-of-the-barrel stuff. Heavenly Sword was awful.

You realize that only a few are 3rd party, right? That the majority of the characters are 1st party?

Is PSASBR even the best-selling Smash clone?

I mean I know it's not a big field in the first place, but weren't PSASBR sales super low?

Yeah it was pretty low, but still not terrible, see my post below this quote.

So how much has this game sold so far? It sounds like it was a disaster.

According to a banned website (I'm not sure what else has data on it), PSABR has sold 405,887 units to date worldwide. In comparison, Jump Super Stars (DS) has sold 553,021 units to date. Edit: Another comparison - Jump Ultimate Stars (DS) has sold 744,731 units to date. The main difference is that Jump Super Stars had an AMAZING roster compared to PSABR.

spanks

Fingers crossed Abe survives the transition. He has more PlayStation in him than half the cast.

Also patch in a Smash-like mode where damage actually causes damage

I'm not even convinced a better roster would've helped the game a lot. While Sony and the Playstation brand have a good cast of characters, none of them are iconic or "game selling status" in my eyes. Snake would've helped, a Final Fantasy character, would've helped, but probably not to the extent of making a difference in the big picture.

Fidelis Hodie

Infidelis Cras
After putting a month or so into this game (and being way too obsessed with Smash in general), I do think that PSABR has enough to set it apart just based off of how prominent and fun 2v2 really is. Who played 2v2 in smash at all? For me it's always FFA or 1v1. 2v2 feels extremely good.

As far as roster concerns go, I don't really get the arguments of comparing PSABR to Melee or Brawl. A much more apt comparison to me really is it vs. smash 64, which is where the lack of PS1 era Spyro, Crash, LC and S Cloud hurt the most.

This isn't thinking as a game developer. This isn't thinking as a producer, or a company who has to hit deadlines or bottom lines. This is thinking as a fan. And as a fan, it sucks.

(<3 drake though, dude's my boy and I destroy with him more often than not)

Oersted

Yeah it was pretty low, but still not terrible, see my post below this quote.

According to a banned website (I'm not sure what else has data on it), PSABR has sold 405,887 units to date worldwide. In comparison, Jump Super Stars (DS) has sold 553,021 units to date. Edit: Another comparison - Jump Ultimate Stars (DS) has sold 744,731 units to date. The main difference is that Jump Super Stars had an AMAZING roster compared to PSABR.

The site is banned for a reason.

Jump was DS japan-only.

DGRE

Banned
Yeah but still it sold more than PSABR is right now. I still stand by my initial gripe - the roster just didn't give the game the proper hype it needed :
His point is if jump were an internationally appealing game it would've obliterated all stars in sales.

Fingers crossed Abe survives the transition. He has more PlayStation in him than half the cast.

Also patch in a Smash-like mode where damage actually causes damage
Not gonna happen, to either of those. Time to start hoping for another "icon" like: Zeus from God of War, or Issac from Dead Space, or fan-favroite: Gex!

/sarcasm

When this game was in the concept stage they should have asked themselves this question:

Can we get Crash, Spyro, Cloud, and Snake in this game?

A) If no, then do not proceed.

B) If yes, proceed and poll fans on what other characters they'd like to see included.

This game was botched in the conceptual stage.

Top Bottom