• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gabe Newell comments on Valve's move from Half-Life to multiplayer games

Helmholtz

I'm pretty sure they're going to continue HL. It just might not be for a while. And considering how much I love Dota 2 I can't really be mad at them.

It's only entitled bratty kids asking for any kind of resolution to the cliffhanger they left hanging in episode 2 in 2007.

They, at most, care very very little about their customers who are fans of that game and want a resolution. Why? Because they could easily have made an episode 3 or a Half-Life 3 since then, and have not. At best, they care very little. Their actions speak.

A girl was able to pay for college because Valve allowed players to profit off the in-game items they created.

They made one of their pre-existing pay games free because the in-game economy could support it.

They just let L4D2 go for free for Christmas.

They allow players the ability to accumulate real money towards games.

They gave away EVERY GAME on Steam for free to one contest winner during the Steam 2012 sale.

They allowed for the community to have easier access to shit other players made.

They made it possible for indie devs to actually make money faster and harder than ever before.

Yes, Valve does some shady shit that they would get called out on if they were, say, EA. But they do it with the byproduct of having great customer service. They have found the middle ground between capitalism and customers.

But sure, let's call them sell outs because they are not making the game I want.

Estocolmo

Valve are assholes!

Its like when a girl breaks up with you, some leave you without breaking your heart, other girls destroys your heart.

Valve PROMISED more Half-Life games after Episode 2. The second episode ended with a big cliffhanger, its suppose to have a sequel coming after that.

I don't care if Valve has changed philosophy concerning their the game production. They should end the Half-Life series with a sequel that has been promised for almost a decade now!

NervousXtian

Thought Emoji Movie was good. Take that as you will.
no sorry i want a yearly series passed between different teams by people who dont want to work on it

itll be great

Of course, yes.. if Valve finished Ep 3.. they would have turned into Call of Duty.

Holy shit, try harder man.. your trolling is getting weaker and weaker.

If you wish to remain skeptical, fair enough. But then it doesn't mean it isn't being worked either.. unless you work for Valve and have something to share with us. ;P

Well, you went from being all certain it's being made to this. Not sure why you made such a big point of linking that thread like it actually meant something. There's a reason that thread died after 2 pages.

Kadayi

Banned

You mistake benevolence for building a user base. Valves principal business at that this point in time is expanding Steam, because that is what generates money for them through game and item sales. Every game sale nets them 30% of the transaction. Every item sold and bought by players generates money for them. They're not giving away games for the sake of it, they're giving them away to attract new people to Steam.

NervousXtian

Source? Not that I don't trust you but I can't find anything on Google or his Twitter and blog. I'm probably just not very good at finding things.

http://www.linkedin.com/in/clicknothing

Designer
Valve corporation
Privately Held; 201-500 employees; Computer Games industry
July 2012 – December 2013 (1 year 6 months) Greater Seattle Area

Past
Designer at Valve corporation
Creative Director at LucasArts
Creative Director at Ubisoft

You mistake benevolence for building a user base.

Nope. I specifically said I wasn't. I specifically stated that if Valve was not such a great company at customer service, then they'd be as bad as EA.

If we cried "sell out" for every business that did anything good that benefited them... then there would not be any business conducted at all in this world.

Or are you of the mindset that businesses should just stop at "Just Enough"? Or be content not to expand and be financially in the shitter forever because money is evil?

Armaros

Nope. I specifically said I wasn't.

If we cried "sell out" for every business that did anything good that benefited them... then there would not be any business conducted at all in this world.

They wouldn't exist for very long or become non-profit charities.

I wonder if they know how ridiculous they sound, maybe If you told them to scream at the top of their lungs that Blizzard should just completely abandon WoW and make WC4, they would see it.

Maybe, but probably not.

Making money is not bad.

It seems that whenever you start making any kind of money, you are a Sell Out.

There's no such thing as Good Money or Bad Money.

If Gabe didn't want to make money, he would not have started Valve.

Kade

http://www.linkedin.com/in/clicknothing

Designer
Valve corporation
Privately Held; 201-500 employees; Computer Games industry
July 2012 – December 2013 (1 year 6 months) Greater Seattle Area

Past
Designer at Valve corporation
Creative Director at LucasArts
Creative Director at Ubisoft

Crap. LinkedIn is the most obvious place to check for someone's employment status but I forgot about it completely.

Anyways, I was really looking forward to his output. Sucks that things didn't work out.

Kadayi

Banned
Nope. I specifically said I wasn't. I specifically stated that if Valve was not such a great company at customer service, then they'd be as bad as EA.

Or are you of the mindset that businesses should just stop at "Just Enough"? Or be content not to expand and be financially in the shitter forever because money is evil?

I expect businesses to operate like businesses, and recognize their obligations to customers. They sold an episodic product to people on the basis of the trilogy being concluded within a 18 month time frame. They failed to deliver the concluding part by their original estimate. Now it's not unusual for companies, especially games companies to blow target dates. However it's generally the case that when you do, you notify your customers as to a revised ETA. When Ubi pulled the plug on Watchdogs did they adopt radio silence as to when it was coming out? or did they notify everyone that it was going to be a further six months? Pretty sure it was the latter

With Valve...they won't even straight up confirm whether EP3 is in development let alone provide a revised ETA, seven years past due date. I'm not sure what's more nuts though, that Valve think that treating the audience who bought the previous titles with such wanton disregard is acceptable or the people who flat out defend them as if they'd readily accept such behaviour from any other form of business or company whatsoever. Do you think when the dessert fails to materialize in the restaurant that Gabe Newell just sits there quietly, or do you think he asks the waiter whats going on?

Sneds

You mistake benevolence for building a user base. Valves principal business at that this point in time is expanding Steam, because that is what generates money for them through game and item sales. Every game sale nets them 30% of the transaction. Every item sold and bought by players generates money for them. They're not giving away games for the sake of it, they're giving them away to attract new people to Steam.

Exactly. Valve take the lion's share of the money made by community creators. I'd say it's actually quite exploitative. They're also getting free beta testing for their steam boxes by making it into a 'competition'. I'm not sure why people give Valve a free pass on their bullshit actually. I was tempted to make a thread about it. I'm playing TF at the moment and selling keys that open mystery crates is an absolutely heinous way for Valve to make money.

Armaros

I like the line of thought that believes screaming that Valve are sellouts and worse or on the level of EA, Acitivison, while telling them to abandon all of their multiplayer games in order to give people HL3 now is going to get them the game, or better yet, any information about it.

Exactly. Valve take the lion's share of the money made by community creators. I'd say it's actually quite exploitative. They're also getting free beta testing for their steam boxes by making it into a 'competition'. I'm not sure why people give Valve a free pass on their bullshit actually. I was tempted to make a thread about it. I'm playing TF at the moment and selling keys that open mystery crates is an absolutely heinous way for Valve to make money.

Why don't you confront the workshop artists that at making a full time living off of item sales that they are being exploited by Valve. One of them has a GAF account and posts regularly, Anuxi. I am sure she will find your idea that her 'Anuxi Item chest' in dota 2 was her being exploited, very enlightening.

I heard giving out PCs wroth $1,500 to 300 people to do whatever they want with them besides selling them on eBay or Craig's list is a free beta.

Sneds

I like the line of thought that believes screaming that Valve are sellouts and worse or on the level of EA, Acitivison, while telling them to abandon all of their multiplayer games in order to give people HL3 now is going to get them the game, or better yet, any information about it.

Why don't you confront the workshop artists that at making a full time living off of item sales that they are being exploited by Valve. One of them has a GAF account and posts regularly, Anuxi. I am sure she will find your idea that her 'Anuxi Item chest' in dota 2 was her being exploited very enlightening.

Just because someone can make a full-time living from their labour doesn't mean they're not being exploited.

If the people who create content for Valve's marketplace don't feel exploited then okay, but we'll have to agree to disagree about that. Valve take 75% of the money made from the sale of community created items. I'd call that exploitative.

Armaros

Just because someone can make a full-time living from their labour doesn't mean they're not being exploited.

If the people who create content for Valve's marketplace don't feel exploited then okay, but we'll have to agree to disagree about that. Valve take 75% of the money made from the sale of community created items. I'd call that exploitative.

So valve didnt make the platform, the game, the item distribution system.

Also how naive are you to think that most 3D artists even make royalties in the games industry? Do you think any type of artist working with any sort of sizable company makes a majority of the sales as royalties?

Who asked them to abandon anything?
Then you haven't been reading the thread.

Orayn

An argument can be made for Valve's cut in that the items are little bits of content that slot into someone else's work. We're not talking about a situation even remotely comparable to selling a standalone game on Steam or songs on iTuens.

Sneds

So valve didnt make the platform, the game, the item distribution system.

Also how naive are you to think that most 3D artists even make royalties in the games industry? Do you think any type of artist working with any sort of sizable company makes a majority of the sales as royalties?

Valve created TF2 and then sold it for money as part of the Orange Box. They then made the game free to play and subsequently made a lot more money through selling keys to mystery boxes. I think that they can afford to, and should, give community creators more than 25% for the sale of items. If you think 75-25 split is reasonable then again we'll have to agree to disagree.

And I'm not naive but just because other companies underpay their workers does not give Valve a free pass.

No shit, Sherlock. :p That's every job ever.

You seem to think that exploit can only mean bad things.

EDIT: Holy shit, that means I've been exploiting my graphics artist and my programmer by paying them $1.5k in exchange for their work! I'm such a horrible person!

Armaros

No shit, Sherlock. :p That's every job ever.

You seem to think that exploit can only mean bad things.

EDIT: Holy shit, that means I've been exploiting my graphics artist and my programmer by paying them $1.5k in exchange for their work! I'm such a horrible person!

I'm sure every job in the world is getting paid 100% of all of their contributions.

Also the artists in the workshop make items because other places pay better but they just love being exploited by valve.

Exploiting them by paying them a livable wage.

That's amazing.

From accounts from some of the top sellers in TF2 and Dota2 it's much more then just a livable wage.

Aces&Eights

I don't see why they can't do both. As Gabe said:

As Portal 2 has shown, if the talent at Valve wants to make a single player focused game they are still very able to do so. They just have to want to do it.

Agreed. In all honesty I actually like the portal series more than halflife. Not saying it wasn't a phenomenal game but what it brought to the genre has been used and reused by other devs ad nauseum. Portal is still a niche game but has great characters, superb voice acting and awesome puzzles.

Sneds

I'm sure every job in the world is getting paid 100% of all of their contributions.

Also the artists in the workshop make items because other places pay better but they just love being exploited by valve.

From accounts from some of the top sellers in TF2 and Dota2 it's much more then just a livable wage.

You're repeating yourself.

Sneds

It's hip to hate on Valve now.

I don't hate Valve. I enjoy their games. I played Tf2 tonight and had a great time. But they also have some business's practices that I don't like. You're being childish by labelling that as 'hating on' a company.

Armaros

I don't hate Valve. I enjoy their games. I played Tf2 tonight and had a great time. But they also have some business's practices that I don't like. You're being childish by labelling that as 'hating on' a company.

And you at being 100% naive if you think that artists make the majority of money on their products.

Or in any job/business that isn't 100% self owned.

Woo-Fu

Banned
Valve being multiplayer a focused is not why Half-Life 3 isn't out yet. Valve want it to be as groundbreaking as the first two were and they'll wait as long as it takes to ensure that.

So you're saying never? Or are you saying the first two weren't that ground-breaking?

There is very little new ground to break in the singleplayer FPS genre---which is probably why there seem to be so few people at Valve interested in making another singelplayer half-life.

The only "advances" made in the past decade have been mostly game systems ripped straight out of RPGs.

NervousXtian

Unless you are reading someone saying they don't care about dota2, CS:GO and/or L4D to mean they wish Valve would not make them?

Which is a pretty big leap. Someone can arguably not like Valve's recent output personally while still acknowledged it's quality, while STILL wishing that Valve finished what they started with the Episodes.

That's you putting your own spin on it, which isn't helpful to discussion.

Huh? Again, nice spin-work. Wanting Valve to finish what they started with the Episodes is very valid criticism of them as a company. Very valid.

Doesn't mean we hate them, but there's stuff to be unhappy with.

Robot Pants

So you're saying never? Or are you saying the first two weren't that ground-breaking?

There is very little new ground to break in the singleplayer FPS genre---which is probably why there seem to be so few people at Valve interested in making another singelplayer half-life.

The only "advances" made in the past decade have been mostly game systems ripped straight out of RPGs.
That's very narrow minded of you.
Who knows what Valve is working on to revolutionize the genre. It's something I'm sure you've never thought of. They've done it twice and I'm sure they are planning to do it again.
At least, I hope that's why it's taking this long.

It seems so, but it's just so weird to see. I mean, out of all the major gaming companies out there Valve are easily the most customer-friendly bunch (I don't consider CD Project to be a major gaming company but they are awesome). I'm inclined to believe that most people who are so hostile towards Valve are either hardcore console fans who see them as a threat or hardcore DRM-free fans who don't consider Valve's system acceptable. Otherwise I really have no idea why someone would be so negative towards them.

Top Bottom