• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF-Hop 2011+ |OT| of Listening to Classics (Not f&$@ing U-God)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tokubetsu

I always liked the track "Spanish Fly" on bobby digital. "Domestic Violence" is also the ex's ringtone in my phone. I know Kams hates the album but it has it's charms. That album cover is also fucking amazing.

I've never listened to a RZA solo disk. I'll give it a shot. I'll talk about it, and Cuban Links/Liquid Swords later. They're two of my favorite albums.

But in the meantime I have a question for hip hop bore. My Sony headphones (earbuds) recently died. I'm looking for something cheap but with good sound, for my iPod Touch. Any ideas? Not looking to spend 30+ dollars if I don't have to.

TheOddOne

Tokubetsu said:
I always liked the track "Spanish Fly" on bobby digital. "Domestic Violence" is also the ex's ringtone in my phone.
I just spit out my coffee on my keyboard
laugh.gif

TheOddOne

RZA - N.Y.C. Everything ft. Method Man

Meth kills it:
For the pesimist, exercise for the Exorcist
Johnny Treacherous, like Three, I'm supposed to be
Perpetuous, desimate the poetry cuz everything is close to me
The lectorous, Jonathan, king of the seven seas, battle wit Leviathan

RZA - Holocaust (Silkworm) ft Ghostface
Tony Starks, spaceship, ran by a daughter's cellar
Only man out, walked through hell
Dick swingin like shit went well
Call it the mighty Joe Young

Reakwon - Criminology
I max the most shotguns through the nose
Phonograph hip-hop put me on top
'Lo wears, and Tommy Hil fly shit with a knot
The witty unpredictable live shit, drive by shit
Do or die shit, I'll take your lie and shit

Raekwon - Incarcerated Scarfaces
My mob roll up, dripped to death whips rolled up
Ya never had no wins, slidin in these dens wit Timbs
Wit Mac-10's and broke friends
Ya got guns, got guns too, what up son, do
you wanna battle for cash and see who Sun too?

Raekwon - Ice Cream
If I was jiggy, you'd be spotted like Spudz McKenzie
I'm high powered put Adina Howard to sleep
Yo pardon, that bitch been on my mind all week, but uhh

The whole of Cuban Linx is too good, just TOO GOOD.

TheOddOne

GZA - Living In The World Today
My rhyme gross weight be into combination
was too heavy for the Chevy's is chased out the station
Double-edged was the guillotine that beheaded it and
gassed up, fucking with some regular unleaded shit

GZA - Cold World
But he was hot, and the strip was filled with young killers
you don't suspect, so cops creep like caterpillars
And born thieves stay hooded with extra bullets
those who try to flee they hit the vertebrae, increase the murder rate

Like Cuban, I can post basicly any song on Liquid Swords :p

Yambert

Neo Member
PhoenixDark said:
I've never listened to a RZA solo disk. I'll give it a shot. I'll talk about it, and Cuban Links/Liquid Swords later. They're two of my favorite albums.

But in the meantime I have a question for hip hop bore. My Sony headphones (earbuds) recently died. I'm looking for something cheap but with good sound, for my iPod Touch. Any ideas? Not looking to spend 30+ dollars if I don't have to.

My sennheiser hd 202s cost like 15 bucks, and everyone agrees they sound as good as most over the ear phones that cost 4-7x more. Insanely good for the price. However they arent earbuds (IMO earbuds suck for hip hop)

I've been discovering a lot of classic west coast albums for the first time, I'm so addicted. Been bumping NWA, Dre and Snoop all week.

My favorite song on LS is 4th chamber. I've still yet to her cuban links.. need to get on that.

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
Yambert said:
My sennheiser hd 202s cost like 15 bucks, and everyone agrees they sound as good as most over the ear phones that cost 4-7x more.
Hahaha you're funny. The HD202 doesn't even sound particularly good for the $20 budget.

Esch

Banned
PhoenixDark said:
Birth of a Prince is dope.

as for liquid swords:

I'm on a Mission, that *****s say is Impossible
But when I swing my swords they all choppable
I be the body dropper, the heartbeat stopper
Child educator, plus head amputator
Cause ****** styles are old like Mark 5 sneakers
Lyrics are weak, like clock radio speakers
Don't even stop in my station and attack
While your plan failed, hit the rail, like Amtrak
What the fuck for? Down by law, I make law
I be justice, I sentence that ass two to four
Round the clock, that state pen time check it
With the pens I be stickin but you can't stick to crime
Came through with the Wu, slid off on the DL
I'm low-key like seashells, I rock these bells

made me love hip hop

dskillzhtown

keep your strippers out of my American football
EschatonDX said:
getting me so hyped to make a dirty south playlist. help me with that shit gaf

-scarface
-ugk
-geto boys
-luda
-master p
-outkast
-mystikal
-TI
-Nappy roots
-three six
-neptunes
-Jeezy
-8ball+mjg
-killer mike
-KRIT
-cunninglynguists
-curren$y

feel like i'm missin a lot here.

I don't see slim thug, chamillionaire, z-ro, or trick daddy.

Esch

Banned
HiResDes said:
I think he's on my side regarding how awful Cham is...
I wouldn't say he's awful per se but he's like a weezy to me, intolerable outside of features.

Good call on trick daddy though, definitely going in there.

Kimosabae

Banned
I've been listening to Wayne's older shit recently - namely Da Drought 3 and Dedication 2.

He really did fall off lyrically, it seems. His flow was way more diverse and freeform on those tapes. I always liked him due to his quirkiness - but Carter IV might put him back on the pills if its reception is anything like 'S4DW'.

Detox

01. The Game - Hoodmorning [Produced by Mars] (3:27)
02. The Game - Drug Test (Feat. Dr. Dre & Snoop Dogg) [Produced by DJ Khalil] (2:30)
03. The Game - Can You Believe It (Feat. Lil Wayne & Baby) [Produced by Lifted] (3:39)
04. The Game - Mr. West / Money & The Power [Produced by Che Vicious] (6:19)
05. The Game - Monsters In My Head [Produced by Boi-1da] (3:40)
06. The Game - Wow (Feat. Gucci Mane) [Produced by Mars] (3:59)
07. The Game - 25 To Life [Produced by Mars] (3:27)
08. The Game - Out Of Towner [Produced by Terrace Martin] (3:31)
09. The Game - Standin On A Corner (Feat. B.o.B & Wiz Khalifa) [Prod. by Gun Roulet] (3:34)
10. The Game - Grave Yard (Feat. Sam Cooke) [Produced by Mars & Point Guard] (3:11)
11. The Game - The Town [Produced by Mars & Rance] (3:28)
12. The Game - Uncle Otis [Produced by Mars & Point Guard] (3:23)
13. The Game - Infrared [Produced by Cool & Dre] (4:33)
14. The Game - Change Your Life (Feat. BWS) [Produced by Mars] (4:07)
15. The Game - Red (Feat. Redman) [Produced by Cool & Dre] (2:05)
16. The Game - I'm On [Produced by Mars] (3:46)
17. The Game - Ace of Spades (Feat. Joi StaRR & Paypa) [Produced by Mars] (3:36)
18. The Game - F*cked Up [Produced by Mars] (3:45)
19. The Game - She Wanna Have My Baby (Feat. Trey Songz) (4:00)
20. The Game - Rough (Feat. Yelawolf) [Produced by Jim Jonsin] (4:35)

The Dre track isn't off RED it's from this tape and produced by khalil.

lol @ Mr West, uggh mr west uggh mr west, made me smile

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Gonna wait for others to tell me if that Game tape is worth my time. WAIT WHAT MONSTERS IN MY HEAD?

Does this tape have tags?

SMH if Game is going at Ye now, dude would drop his name saying he'd die for him half a year ago.

Detox

Does have tags from Skee but from what I've streamed so far it doesn't really go over the track like Flex, it is mainly at the start of the tracks.

IrishNinja said:
Virginia - where ain't shit to do but cook - gets what they get

VA is where it's at....land of a thousand emcees. Bad newz....

I'm actually looking forward to recording wednesday....last thing I did was that so appalled track last year. I hope yall ready.

TheOddOne said:
Classic track, Meth is another rapper that does it better on other peoples stuff then his own.

Same with Deck. Both will kill a verse with ease, but can't really make a full song. Tical is great though, but Meth has been quite a disappointment overall. At one time there was no question he was one of the best rappers in the game, but he never reached DMX/Jay-Z status when he had as much talent and marketability.

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
Yambert said:
I'll agree to disagree bruh.
It doesn't work that way. Who is the "everyone", who agrees the HD202 sounds as good as much more expensive headphones? Show me. I've heard that nowhere.

TheOddOne

PhoenixDark said:
Same with Deck. Both will kill a verse with ease, but can't really make a full song. Tical is great though, but Meth has been quite a disappointment overall. At one time there was no question he was one of the best rappers in the game, but he never reached DMX/Jay-Z status when he had as much talent and marketability.
Come to think of it, yeah your right about Deck too. 4:21... The Day After from Meth was pretty dope though, with great verses but got overlooked and underpromoted by Def Jam.

Kimosabae said:
You guys are really serious about this Wu-Monday shit? Haha.

How long has this been going on?
We at week 3 son, people been diggin' it so far.

siddx

Magnificent Eager Mighty Brilliantly Erect Registereduser
Liquid Swords was actually the first Wu album I owned, and I hated it t first. It wasn't until I picked up enter the wu that I grew an appreciation for the sound.
Bobby Digital was a mediocre as a fuck album but it had some great tracks. And OBFCL I have no real opinion on as I haven't given it enough listens to make form a solid opinion. Imma go fix that now. I've never been a Rae fan though. Always found him pretty one dimensional.

TheOddOne

siddx said:
Liquid Swords was actually the first Wu album I owned, and I hated it t first. It wasn't until I picked up enter the wu that I grew an appreciation for the sound.
Bobby Digital was a mediocre as a fuck album but it had some great tracks. And OBFCL I have no real opinion on as I haven't given it enough listens to make form a solid opinion. Imma go fix that now.
Yeah, thats exactly how I feel too. The best verses come from the guests, the beats are solid though still its kind of "out there".

OBFCL is just a wicked album, that dark dusty feel it has it so great.

siddx

Going back to listen to Liquid Swords after all these years, it's just as brilliant as ever. It's RZA's best production outside of enter the wu.

siddx

Also that Game mixtape is just a standard mixtape. Some hot songs, a lot of throwaways. It's not refined enough to be an album but it's more solid and less chaotic than purp and patron. Hoping for a no DJ version though.

"I'm on" is still my favorite Game track in a long long time. I still listen to it almost daily on my way to/from work. It's exactly the kind of Game track that made me a big fan back in the Documentary days.

zychi

Banned
Game is being salty as hell. He's just trying to create buzz for his (probably mediocre) cd but attacking the top of the mountain. I was excited for it last week, and now I just don't care. Dis-records/albums are just stupid to me. This mixtape is terrible

TheOddOne

zychi said:
Game is being salty as hell. He's just trying to create buzz for his (probably mediocre) cd but attacking the top of the mountain. I was excited for it last week, and now I just don't care. Dis-records/albums are just stupid to me. This mixtape is terrible
Pretty much, he will forever trying to be riding on other people's coattails.

Esch

Banned
Cuban Linx is a monster, top 5 Wu junt for me easily. Ghost/Rae interplay, beats on point from the RZA, tons of standout tracks. Love that shit. Best coke raps ever.

Hell Yes.

Detox

Agree with siddx about the mixtape but I assume it is just tracks that didn't make the cut for RED and with some of the songs on the tape RED could be something special or at least come close to the Documentary.

zychi said:
If you're talking about the Ye diss there are songs on this mixtape that are better than Otis and HAM.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
TheOddOne said:
Game can't pick good beats anymore, just trash.
Well.. I'm On, Drug Test, Monsters In My Head, and Infrared disagree with that.

And that's only including things I've heard that I have previously disagreed with. Game has a good ear for beats, he just puts out much more music so inevitably mediocre choices with some of his weaker raps will shine through.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom