• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF-Hop |OT9/9/99| African Substitute Teachers Run NY

Status
Not open for further replies.
The beef was out there but Game's legal standing was not.

He was trying to become an Aftermath artist and couldn't

Also a verbal co-sign isn't shit

Dre's camp getting you radio play as a label artist is worth so damn much.

Kendrick most likely doesn't go plat without Dre... i can't see it happening

But again...everyone knew he wouldn't have Dre beats on Doctor's Advocate. The album's success had to do with Game still being hot, even without Dre.

"Dre's camp" isn't getting anyone radio play, it's Interscope (not Aftermath, which is a horrible label for artists). And they have plenty of artists struggling right now. Kendrick had the buzz, single, and label push to go plat. Just as J Cole did...

Dre exec-produced and mixed the Red Album so...

Macca

I think a lot of it has to do with actually getting an album released on Aftermath. The Album has to go through Dre, if it's not good he won't let you release it. The Documentary and GKMC were both fantastic albums and I think his guidance helped just as much as his co-sign in getting those sales.

Blackace

if you see me in a fight with a bear, don't help me fool, help the bear!
But again...everyone knew he wouldn't have Dre beats on Doctor's Advocate. The album's success had to do with Game still being hot, even without Dre.

"Dre's camp" isn't getting anyone radio play, it's Interscope (not Aftermath, which is a horrible label for artists). And they have plenty of artists struggling right now. Kendrick had the buzz, single, and label push to go plat. Just as J Cole did...

Dre exec-produced and mixed the Red Album so...

Dre didn't ex-produce it pretty sure Pharrell did

Game name dropped like 5 producers

And people thought Doctor's Advocate was coming out under Dre and there would be a beat or two

Aftermath has had nothing but success if they release you. You can't argue the track record
19 albums 2 diamond albums 14 plats 2 golds and one flop

Aftermath is handling Kendrick and Interscope TDE

Sure they did

Labels do that...

Sometimes a single is hot enough that they don't need to buy much...

The point is that Kendrick received the same. Did he have a higher marketing budget than Cole? Sure, but ultimately both albums have sold around the same amount.

Aftermath success is inflated by Eminem and early 50 Cent. Most artists get stuck on the shelf as Dre moves on. Or they disappear like Slim Da Mobster and others.

dskillzhtown

keep your strippers out of my American football
The beef was out there but Game's legal standing was not.

He was trying to become an Aftermath artist and couldn't

Also a verbal co-sign isn't shit

Dre's camp getting you radio play as a label artist is worth so damn much.

Kendrick most likely doesn't go plat without Dre... i can't see it happening

I think that once this Beats streaming service starts, the Iovine-Dre camp is going to be even more powerful. Hopefully it starts before Detox comes out.

Blackace

if you see me in a fight with a bear, don't help me fool, help the bear!
The point is that Kendrick received the same. Did he have a higher marketing budget than Cole? Sure, but ultimately both albums have sold around the same amount.

Aftermath success is inflated by Eminem and early 50 Cent. Most artists get stuck on the shelf as Dre moves on. Or they disappear like Slim Da Mobster and others.

Inflated by their superstar they helped create

And Slim da Mobster wasn't talented enough and/or marketable enough

They just do good business

And don't really see your point about Cole...

Esch

Banned
iCJeajOJfYywz.gif

It's been a good week brehs. Productive things happened. I watched y'all from afar in my NeoGAF Alcatraz cell, plotting, scheming. I had a lot of laughs, y'all fed me pretty good. That Kanye interview was decently entertaining, and I find myself hyped up well enough for Old. I have faith in the gawd and I think it'll come together nice. I also liked that cut from the Isaiah Rashad cat, he has a cool flow and rocks the TDE sound pretty good. He needs to level up his look and character though if he wants to be part of the Kliq, but marketing comes last for all rappers.

I got love for y'all, but I got some words for y'all on this Jizzy Drake shit. I'm a little irked by the fact that Big Ghost decided to drop his review on the day I got unbanned (fuck you), but I'ma say what I gotta say regardless. I listened to NWTS, and.... This is what you guys get your panties in a twist for? This shit isn't bad or good, it's just boilerplate, boring. I'll never understand what gets you guys hyped to hear Drake on the mic, to start his delivery still sounds like Urkel stepping up at Wild N Out to drop a hot 16; medium pace rapped at high tones through the nose. Like WanderingWind, I was hyped when Tuscan Leather dropped, I've always got time for an old school Just Blaze imitation. From then on out though; mostly a snoozefest, even from a production standpoint. If I was to describe the lyrical themes and general tone of this album, it would be something between insecure salty Blueprint 2 Jay and a Taylor Swift record; bar after bar of tired bullshit about how underappreciated you are and what your legacy is thrown into a blender of the same simp shytting on your exes. You guys identify with this? This whole LP comes off as bitter (see: Pound Cake verse about high school classmates). Overall, it doesn't have much energy apart from the singles either, just a lot of sleepwalking. It's hilarious how derived some of the cuts on here are; from the aforementioned Dipset imitation on TL to the couple b-side WTT/MCHG sounding tracks whose names I already forgot. Aren't people always talking about how original this guy is? From the hype and praise I'd have thought this is a piece of prime rib. It's like I'm a girl that you guys invited out for a meal at a "fine Italian restaurant" and we pull up in your 97 Saturn to Olive Garden. Derivative, overpriced, and full of salt.

High points: Hold On We're Going Home, Pound Cake, Started from the Bottom, Tuscan Leather, Worst Behavior

2 mics. even Big Sean's album is better.

Esch

Banned
Hall of Fame is NOT better

welcome back esch
Yeah, it kind of is. HoF has better production and more variety. NWTS is boring all the way through and spends a lot of time borrowing sounds. I'd even argue it feels more original.

Also, Ferg > 2 Chainz >>> Juicy J this year.

Also, I noticed all the salty little subs thrown at Kendrick on this album, or at least they seem like subs at Kendrick. Hopefully these two dudes start hating each other, seems like a nice reframing of the Nas vs. Jay fight; commercial guy versus moderately successful dude with the underground on his side. Guess I'll be on the other side this time

Esch

Banned
Fundamental disconnect I have with these OVO dudes. Let me get this straight. You have money, drugs, fast cars, a dope crib, bitches on deck every night of the week, nobody's trying to kill you, you probably have a future and you're spending your entire LP complaining about it? I'm sick and tired of these yuppies not embracing the wonderful lives they have. It strikes me as a very first world set of problems I can't give my time to care about. Yea, you got girl problems, ok, why don't you kill yourself about it? Seems like a contrived way of making yourself sound deep when your music is basically about nothing same as the other guy. If your shit isn't about anything, just embrace it.

Tired of these albums not for being 'sensitive' or 'girly' or 'not masculine enough' but tired of them because they are a straight up rejection of life and the good things in it

Esch

Banned
I didn't even listen to hof and I know that it's not better than nwts
You can enjoy hof in a goofy pop record way. It doesn't take itself seriously, and the rapping, production, and features are better. NWTS is 20% good, 60% boring, and 20% scust worthy.

codhand

You can enjoy hof in a goofy pop record way. It doesn't take itself seriously, and the rapping, production, and features are better. NWTS is 20% good, 60% boring, and 20% scust worthy.

big sean registered pretty high on my scust factor, with his whole "I'm Blessed: The LP"

Esch

Banned
big sean registered pretty high on my scust factor, with his whole "I'm Blessed: The LP"

Nothing wrong about being happy with what you have. I thought I was the negative guy on this board, seems like all y'all want that music about being in the dumps about having a silver spoon in your mouth.

edit: By the way. I'm not saying Big Sean's album is "good" (kinda gotten stale over past couple listens, I'm saying it's better than NWTS because NWTS is wack.

codhand

Nothing wrong about being happy with what you have. I thought I was the negative guy on this board, seems like all y'all want that music about being in the dumps about having a silver spoon in your mouth.

being happy is one thing, im talking about people who say/feel theyre "blessed".

take care was better than nsfw, but i feel drake would have an easier go at a big sean type album than sean trying to be remotely introspective or conceptual

EloquentM

aka Mannny
Take care was better. This new LP makes him sound like he didn't try. Hopefully this opinion is said verbatim and the next album is an actual evolution of take care. This was thank me later part snooze. Drake and cole disappointed though drakes LP has gotten more plays from me.

Esch

Banned
being happy is one thing, im talking about people who say/feel theyre "blessed".

So, you are turned off by people coming from the economic, criminal, and educational shithole that is Detroit to getting radio play all over America and possibly the world considering themselves given a gift from a higher power? I'm a pretty set agnostic antireligious guy and I wouldn't go for that.

codhand

So, you are turned off by people coming from the economic, criminal, and educational shithole that is Detroit to getting radio play all over America and possibly the world considering themselves given a gift from a higher power? I'm a pretty set agnostic antireligious guy and I wouldn't go for that.

it's too superficial for me, i wanna hear the things you just mentioned, first chain is about as close as he gets

im against the modern use of the word "blessed"

EloquentM

aka Mannny
Yeah, To this day I don't understand why drake is a simp when ladies literally love him. The baddest girls be at his concerts backstage so why...oh fuck, drunk epiphany, simpy crooning sells.

naw

idk breh, everyone I know told me it was garbage and wasn't seeing Detroit at all. So it didn't really make sense for me to listen to it if it couldn't even fuck with the mixtape, plus I wasn't fucking with any of the singles except Guap.

I just straight up like Drake more than Sean

you're back tho :blessed:

Esch

Banned
it's too superficial for me
It is for me too. I loved a lot of the production on that album though, so it made up the difference. I don't really like any of the beats on NWTS, it all sounds kind of generic and muted and boring. I didnt really go WHHHHHHHHHEEEEEEEWWWW on a single beat on this album(HOWGH and SFTB aside), and I'm pretty easy to please.
idk breh, everyone I know told me it was garbage and wasn't seeing Detroit at all. So it didn't really make sense for me to listen to it if it couldn't even fuck with the mixtape, plus I wasn't fucking with any of the singles except Guap.
Not saying you should even listen to it, it's mediocre, but I like it more than NWTS.

Esch

Banned
Yeah, To this day I don't understand why drake is a simp when ladies literally love him. The baddest girls be at his concerts backstage so why...oh fuck, drunk epiphany, simpy crooning sells.
I did read the Big Ghost review and there were some interesting thoughts on there. I laughed when he said Drake is a master of encouraging people to be as fatherless as possible or something (dead). Drake isn't a simp, actually some of his music comes off as misogynistic and hateful/distrustful of women to me, but just that he spends SO much time talking about bitches is annoying. Dudes who spend all day worrying about girl problems/feeling themselves are annoying in real life to me, so they're annoying on wax too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom