• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF-Hop |OT9/9/99| African Substitute Teachers Run NY

Status
Not open for further replies.

Complex Shadow

Cudi Lame™
oh god that video was awful. just fucking shit. i liked the concept but the execution was just so bad. its like they were play around with fireworks.

Yeah, it kind of is. HoF has better production and more variety. NWTS is boring all the way through and spends a lot of time borrowing sounds. I'd even argue it feels more original.

Also, Ferg > 2 Chainz >>> Juicy J this year.

Also, I noticed all the salty little subs thrown at Kendrick on this album, or at least they seem like subs at Kendrick. Hopefully these two dudes start hating each other, seems like a nice reframing of the Nas vs. Jay fight; commercial guy versus moderately successful dude with the underground on his side. Guess I'll be on the other side this time
Happy esch is back

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Scust at anyone who thinks NWTS is better than Take Care or So Far Gone. Stan litmus test going on right now. It's competing with Thank me Later ATM for me. NWTS is like a poor, unfocused Take Care, and I think that's offensive and still ends up having less listenable songs than Thank Me Later, as unfocused as that project was too.

Someone mentioned it a few pages ago but the songwriting on NWTS is turrible outside of a handful of songs. And that's weird because that's usually one of Drake's strongest points.

Scust at anyone who thinks NWTS is better than Take Care or So Far Gone. Stan litmus test going on right now. It's competing with Thank me Later ATM for me. NWTS is like a poor, unfocused Take Care, and I think that's offensive and still ends up having less listenable songs than Thank Me Later, as unfocused as that project was too.

Someone mentioned it a few pages ago but the songwriting on NWTS is turrible outside of a handful of songs. And that's weird because that's usually one of Drake's strongest points.

I'd argue the name 'NWTS' itself is unfocused.

Esch

Banned

I'm reading the thread now and the stanning is funny as shit, all the dudes with the 'i am a sensitive KTT dude' looking avatars giving this shit dap

Tokubetsu

iCJeajOJfYywz.gif

It's been a good week brehs. Productive things happened. I watched y'all from afar in my NeoGAF Alcatraz cell, plotting, scheming. I had a lot of laughs, y'all fed me pretty good. That Kanye interview was decently entertaining, and I find myself hyped up well enough for Old. I have faith in the gawd and I think it'll come together nice. I also liked that cut from the Isaiah Rashad cat, he has a cool flow and rocks the TDE sound pretty good. He needs to level up his look and character though if he wants to be part of the Kliq, but marketing comes last for all rappers.

I got love for y'all, but I got some words for y'all on this Jizzy Drake shit. I'm a little irked by the fact that Big Ghost decided to drop his review on the day I got unbanned (fuck you), but I'ma say what I gotta say regardless. I listened to NWTS, and.... This is what you guys get your panties in a twist for? This shit isn't bad or good, it's just boilerplate, boring. I'll never understand what gets you guys hyped to hear Drake on the mic, to start his delivery still sounds like Urkel stepping up at Wild N Out to drop a hot 16; medium pace rapped at high tones through the nose. Like WanderingWind, I was hyped when Tuscan Leather dropped, I've always got time for an old school Just Blaze imitation. From then on out though; mostly a snoozefest, even from a production standpoint. If I was to describe the lyrical themes and general tone of this album, it would be something between insecure salty Blueprint 2 Jay and a Taylor Swift record; bar after bar of tired bullshit about how underappreciated you are and what your legacy is thrown into a blender of the same simp shytting on your exes. You guys identify with this? This whole LP comes off as bitter (see: Pound Cake verse about high school classmates). Overall, it doesn't have much energy apart from the singles either, just a lot of sleepwalking. It's hilarious how derived some of the cuts on here are; from the aforementioned Dipset imitation on TL to the couple b-side WTT/MCHG sounding tracks whose names I already forgot. Aren't people always talking about how original this guy is? From the hype and praise I'd have thought this is a piece of prime rib. It's like I'm a girl that you guys invited out for a meal at a "fine Italian restaurant" and we pull up in your 97 Saturn to Olive Garden. Derivative, overpriced, and full of salt.

High points: Hold On We're Going Home, Pound Cake, Started from the Bottom, Tuscan Leather, Worst Behavior

2 mics. even Big Sean's album is better.

You shoulda stayed locked breh. I ain't missed you. ='(

Tokubetsu

It's way more consistent than both TML and TC. TC was only cohesive in bursts, like the first five tracks then it gets broken up then like the last 3.

IrishNinja

esha & PP have had the best return gifs in a minute. if i had either of those id catch a ban just to come back with em, haha

Drake biting Wu lines like a mothafucka on this new joint

and his punchlines are like jabs instead of haymakers

that last line..in my mind that's young money's MO, for quite a while now

If I was to describe the lyrical themes and general tone of this album, it would be something between insecure salty Blueprint 2 Jay and a Taylor Swift record; bar after bar of tired bullshit about how underappreciated you are and what your legacy is thrown into a blender of the same simp shytting on your exes. You guys identify with this? This whole LP comes off as bitter (see: Pound Cake verse about high school classmates).

first off: for real my dude, glad to have you back
second: i 100% agree with everything here. the follow up response to control only reinforced what was already on there, and as you kinda alluded, big ghost points out the extreme limits on his material to speak on: this girl got away (but she deserves better), these dudes aint support me when i needed it. its silly that i talk shit about dudes like Cole making Juicy ten times over (Game did this a bit too i thought) but i appear to give a pass on this shit.

thing is? i really do see dude as an R&B act in my mind. i just kinda dont focus on the lyrics too much at all, which is something you don't normally do with hip hop, i know. its why when you/others pointed out the rapey shit in Weekend tracks, im sideswiped cause...i notice i never even paid enough attention. i like drizzy's production choices and some of his flow but dont listen too much cause when i do, its some "Own it" type simp shit that i can't abide, but was totally working for me while in the background.
if it makes any sense, i don't think ive really heard more than a few paragraphs of what Musiq says, but i love his shit...same thing for me, its just the sound.
so when certain hypebeasts say he's mad lyrical/on that level/killin everyone out there i kinda do a double take like yeah i know hahaha wait you fuckin serious dude

Do right and kill everything

prolly my favorite line of his next to tuck my napkin in my shirt cause im just mobbin like thaaaaaat
like i gotta assume you're self aware and just takin the piss at that point

o and I'd like to thank IrishNinja for taking over for my OT before I did my bid, thanks ginger breh.

*daps* cant lie, i look at that OP and didn't think i had it in me that night, but i did have some help from macca CRS to be honest

ps i do not give myself enough credit to be so open minded as to make it through a whole album of sean's shit. i would not be able to give it a fair one at all

Esch

Banned
I care about lyricism to an extent, but I only really comment on it when I find it extremely poignant or if the content matter is scusting to me. I tend to think of the voice as an instrument because I was raised on metal milk, so sound and delivery are more important to me. Drake has a really annoying delivery, so I end up listening to what he says more.

by the way I can't believe you argued it out with Ken Masters, jesus christ

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
It's way more consistent than both TML and TC. TC was only cohesive in bursts, like the first five tracks then it gets broken up then like the last 3.
In honor of Esch being back, I will make the exception just this once and use the Esch scale for NWTS. 7/13 if I'm being nice and a lot of these songs don't seem to have the stick.

Take Care flows a lot better from front to back, even when the songs with more energy come in. Even if you compartmentalized Take Care it's more cohesive than NWTS. Take Care has a vibe throughout that isn't there in NWTS because of stuff like Connect, 305 to My City, etc. NWTS has a pretty clear sequence of tracks in the last third that bring it down considerably IMO.

IrishNinja

yeah, i dont know why i decided to ice skate up that hill. that mentality is immune to reason, guess i just wanted it further exposed.

but i should know better - the fact he didn't engage any of the actual points/questions made is prolly a blessing given how sad the exchange got as it went on.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Drake's Angie Martinez interview rubbed me all the wrong ways. Dude completely switched his shit up on the Kendrick thing just for the press. Then he says "oh I don't come up here with any sort of motive, just to talk" and the dude only ever shows up when he has an album to promote. Fuck outta here Drake.

I like dude, I really do. A lot of the hate he gets is unwarranted/just for the shits and giggles, but it's this shit that pisses me off with artists that pride themselves on being real and will hit you with the contrary within minutes. I was just ready to hear Drake talk about catching bodies next.

CRS

Eh.

Each song worth 5 points max and then take average of all the songs >>> Esch Scale

Welcome back Breh.

IrishNinja

^nah thanks tho

tguys putting good songs as bonuses isnt a new trend tho

i don't care where an artist puts em, recipe they're fair game by me

CRS

^nah thanks tho

Then that makes GKMC an average album. Almost every bonus song except Recipe remix is trash.

^nah thanks tho

When an album has a clear outro then yeah why bother counting if you are rating the album as a whole? I am just giving Toku shit though but at least he put Deluxe Edition

Esch

Banned
the concept of a bonus track is just intrinsically a little stupid unless it's some special edition rerelease

That song with Mary was trash though.
Any of you guys play video gamess with albums playing in the background and tend to relate that album with said game?
For example when GKMC came out I was playing Alice:Madness Returns, so whenever I listen to GKMC I remember dat artsyle, magnificent hair and
rape.

CRS

Collect Calls was trash?

Black Boy Fly was trash?
Both are meh to me. I never go back to those tracks.

Collect Calls would be dope if it was an instrumental. I'm not a fan of that accent Kendrick has. Sounds like he's on the verge of crying because someone knocked his lollipop into the dirt.
I didn't even listen to this but LOOOOOOOOOL at the edit
I bet it's working though. He mentions Japan and Paris at the very end so he thinks that warrants the title.

Not a bad track and I'm loving the beat but it's becoming apparent that all of these tracks are spur of the moment cuts, treating these songs like his livejournal.

That song with Mary was trash though.
Any of you guys play video gamess with albums playing in the background and tend to relate that album with said game?
For example when GKMC came out I was playing Alice:Madness Returns, so whenever I listen to GKMC I remember dat artsyle, magnificent hair and
rape.

Yea I remember when I was playing Star Ocean with the War Angel mixtape by 50 cent

If I ever play a track off of War Angel I get reminded of Star Ocean..yea

And yea I hated that song with Mary J Blige

Toku, which song didn't you like on NWTS?

"Now Or Never" is the only song related to GKMC that is terrible. Never heard the whole thing, it's just so bad.

"Real" is pretty weak imo too, that chorus is grating as hell.

CRS

MPC ELEMENT
MUSIC PRODUCTION CONTROLLER
The essential instrument for computer-based music production, MPC Element brings powerful music-making capability to your computer in a slimline design that's made to produce. You get cutting-edge features, including MPC Note Repeat and Swing, along with the all-new MPC Essentials software. With the included 1GB sound library, MPC Essentials empowers you with the essential sounds of modern music production, and you can easily import your own sound samples. MPC Essentials can operate standalone and can also work seamlessly with your current DAW as a plugin. MPC Element comes with everything you need to make music right away, and, because it operates via standard MIDI, you can also use MPC Element to control MIDI music software you already have. An 1/8-inch MIDI input and an 1/8-inch MIDI output are both onboard and 1/8-inch to 5-pin MIDI cables are included.

Some of y'all might be interested.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom