• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF-Hop |OT9/9/99| African Substitute Teachers Run NY

Status
Not open for further replies.

mooooose

i dont like that q is sounding to sound gruff. he sounds like when kendrick tries to sound gruff and it works for him but when q does it is sounds like hes trying to be kendrick which he doesnt need to do.

q is really playing with his voice on OXY. collard greens, banger/moshpit, and man of the year all have him not only doing weird adlibs and sounds but he has weird accents and vocal inflections.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
Q did that stuff on HnC too. I think it's his style. Like, it feels that he makes music when he wants and it leads to less of a unified studio sort of sound. And on Collard Greens, him and KDot sound a bit alike, but they do on Blessed too. I think it's like two constant rhyme partners homogenizing a bit when they do their joint songs

Cudder

i dont like that q is sounding to sound gruff. he sounds like when kendrick tries to sound gruff and it works for him but when q does it is sounds like hes trying to be kendrick which he doesnt need to do.

q is really playing with his voice on OXY. collard greens, banger/moshpit, and man of the year all have him not only doing weird adlibs and sounds but he has weird accents and vocal inflections.

i think that's dope. a lot of times I'll be sick of who I'm listening to when listening to albums straight through. this should help with the variety and just the fun vibe of the album.

song is pretty good. where's man of the year though..

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Q did that stuff on HnC too. I think it's his style. Like, it feels that he makes music when he wants and it leads to less of a unified studio sort of sound. And on Collard Greens, him and KDot sound a bit alike, but they do on Blessed too. I think it's like two constant rhyme partners homogenizing a bit when they do their joint songs
Though I agree with all of this, what sets it apart from everything else Q has done, including Tookie Knows, is that there's just way too much going on on the track.

I find the Tookie Knows comparisons kind of weird too, when at least that song kept it's melody better and had about a third of the ad libs.

mooooose

i think that's dope. a lot of times I'll be sick of who I'm listening to when listening to albums straight through. this should help with the variety and just the fun vibe of the album.

song is pretty good. where's man of the year though..

there is a reason why they havent dropped man of the year or gangsta yet. those are gonna be huge singles.

Cudder

there is a reason why they havent dropped man of the year or gangsta yet. those are gonna be huge singles.

huge singles work best BEFORE your album comes out..

edit: it won't mean much though if those huge singles don't get radioplay, which they probably wont.

mooooose

Though I agree with all of this, what sets it apart from everything else Q has done, including Tookie Knows, is that there's just way too much going on on the track.

I find the Tookie Knows comparisons kind of weird too, when at least that song kept it's melody better and had about a third of the ad libs.
tookie knows was literally all adlibs and this has less layered adlibs than a song like demolition man or really any q features after HnC

If it was a huge single, they should've went with that instead of Collared Greens.

collard greens has kendrick and is for non fans stop hating, q will be fine im a believer again

mooooose

the second verse on banger is way better than the first except that ending punchline that shit sucks, but i cant stop listening. q is easily my favorite rapper right now.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
People who don't like Collard Greens are basically the worst people on the planet next to Sarah McLaughlin
Collared Greens is a good song, just not a good single. And like mooose said, not really a representative Q song, though I wouldn't say it's a Kendrick sounding song either (at all).

I think it has a pretty unique vibe though, which is a plus, but it isn't enough. The verses hold it back particularly.

WanderingWind

So be it then

Go save a dog, hippy.

Collared Greens is a good song, just not a good single. And like mooose said, not really a representative Q song, though I wouldn't say it's a Kendrick sounding song either (at all).

I think it has a pretty unique vibe though, which is a plus, but it isn't enough. The verses hold it back particularly.

A couple people here have been beating the "sounds like Kendrick" drum. Not hearing it either. I think Collard Greens is the most hype song I've heard in a long time. Shit makes me want to ditch the dress shoes, grab some sneaks and kick over mailboxes while chugging Steel Reserve

mooooose

all of oxymoron has been good from what we've heard and break the bank sounds like a GOAT Q song from the snippets, so does man of the year. they sound up there with kamikaze and nightmare on figg st and there he go. this song banger is honestly nearly as good as tookie knows and will be dope as fuck live and on the album, where it matters.
Collard Greens is ok, the video pisses me off though.
the trippy parts with the kaleidoscope effects and Q looking like jambi the genie from pee wee's playhouse were sick, the macklemore plugs and hipsters partying, and worse the baller partying at the end were fucking lame as shit

q is a fat pothead just market him as a weirdo

overcast

if they're gonna be huge (hint, they're not) then they should drop one of em.
Judging by what you guys are saying this new track isn't a "single", I think they should have dropped MOTY as the second single.

Collard Greens is definitely one of my favorite tracks of the year.

WanderingWind

Q is in that weird spot that marketing can't handle. He's not fat enough to be the fat rapper. He's looks homeless and he has old man receding hairline, so D'Angleo style is out. He's not lyrical miracle enough for heads to soil their neatly-pressed vintage khakis over. He's not a silly rapper all the time. He doesn't make a Drake-esque radio friendly hits.

His best hook for sales is "HEY I KNOW KENDRICK AND MACKLEMORE."

Which sucks because he's a great MC - like, he's entertaining and fun and somber when necessary. But he doesn't fit any of the boxes they have pre-constructed to toss rappers into the machine with

mooooose

seriously those fucking break the bank snippets, and those are the BRIDGE. we still havent heard the chorus. Q made a song with a serious fucking bridge. dude is god.

DominoKid

you care for the stick in your mouth i bet

iwdZNsLSaDscP.png

from the snippets, the next single HAS to break the bank

http://instagram.com/p/d6Vav6TJJm/#
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=873lnaFzLv4

are you fucking kidding me with this shit

moose would have his boy in the poor house. that's an album cut if i've ever heard one.

overcast

This Q goes. I'm so fucking hyped for Oxy. That chorus is crazy lol.

This + Break Da Bank + Collard Greens shows he's going to bring some variety to the table. Now give me that release date please.

overcast

Q is never going to get that much radio play. All there is to it.

They should lower expectations to a modest success. I mean he'll sell well enough, but dude isn't doing Kendrick and won't go gold. He'll debut at 50,000-70,000. He's not really that marketable, seems like he's making music he wants to make regardless though.

They should lower expectations to a modest success. I mean he'll sell well enough, but dude isn't doing Kendrick and won't go gold. He'll debut at 50,000-70,000. He's not really that marketable, seems like he's making music he wants to make regardless though.

I feel just like Kendrick, he has a stable fan base that will buy his album.

Cudder

i mean, all things considered, Q is in a pretty good position imo. He's on a major, he's associated with Kendrick and plenty of other rappers who are hot right now, so you know he'll always get co signs from rappers, and like you said, he's probably making exactly the type of music that he wants to make. he's probably getting paid pretty well from all of the touring as well.

I dunno what more he wants. He can forget about the mainstream success and have his little niche and do him. For someone who didn't start rapping until a few years ago and who falls asleep in fucking interviews, he has it pretty good imo.

overcast

i wonder if OXY will be on vinyl opening week
I bet it will.
jesus...Qxymoran really is going to suck...

Meanwhile my time with the chick went well, we're gonna do something this weekend. I have a good feeling about this.
Happy for you. Good to see my GAF-Hop dudes get some good things going their way.

Side note, one of my ex girlfriends friends is texting me heavy. Something could go down. Lolol.

I agree cudder. I just think people should stop being in a rush to call him a failure if his tracks aren't getting radio play. He needs to tour strictly for Oxy, I'll buy tickets in a heartbeat.

Macca

The thing with Q is, he hasn't dropped anything in nearly 2 years. He should have been throwing as much shit at the wall as possible to see what sticks.

I respect TDE for not just going with Radio friendly songs, and letting him take the time he needs, but the buzz of GKMC is starting to wear off and they really needed to have capitalized on it. If something like Collard Greens had've dropped at the start of this year I'm sure it would've done much better.

siddx

Magnificent Eager Mighty Brilliantly Erect Registereduser
Berzerk aiight wit me

Berserk has grown on me big time. Initially it felt like a generic rock rap try too hard song but I noticed it was stuck in my head a lot. Then the video came out which was fucking awesome and somehow made the song yet more enjoyable. Now I full on enjoy it, even if eminem seems to be babbling nonsense for most of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom