• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF-Hop |OT9/9/99| African Substitute Teachers Run NY

Status
Not open for further replies.

Das Ace

I was pretty underwhelmed when Berzerk came out

but I keep listening to it over and over again.

Maybe I'm just a huge subconscious Stan.

Recon

Banned
I never understood the hate for Berzerk. It was as close to old school em as you can get without actually going back in time. I get not liking Em, but Berzerk is fun, and calling his album MML2 is definitely a hint at what he is going for. And fuck off with that marketing shit, Em could shit on a cd and it would sell millions, in fact, he as done that twice( Encore/Relapse).

Blackace

if you see me in a fight with a bear, don't help me fool, help the bear!
I never understood the hate for Berzerk. It was as close to old school em as you can get without actually going back in time. I get not liking Em, but Berzerk is fun, and calling his album MML2 is definitely a hint at what he is going for. And fuck off with that marketing shit, Em could shit on a cd and it would sell millions, in fact, he as done that twice( Encore/Relapse).

That's a bingo!

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper

Yup. Like most things this thread is pretty much split down the middle on it. Kam being on one side on this one and somebody on this non dislike side

IrishNinja

Berzerk doesn't sound like anything i recall off of MMLP1, so if it's a hint at "what he's going for" then running with that name still seems odd.

i don't hate the track (hard to with that beastie sound) but it's not something to get hyped about either, unless your expectations for the album are for more of the same i guess

Blackace

if you see me in a fight with a bear, don't help me fool, help the bear!
Berzerk doesn't sound like anything i recall off of MMLP1, so if it's a hint at "what he's going for" then running with that name still seems odd.

i don't hate the track (hard to with that beastie sound) but it's not something to get hyped about either, unless your expectations for the album are for more of the same i guess
The beat doesn't

But his flow after the first half a verse sounds like vintage Em

Berzerk could be a dope track if someone sat Em down and said "I like the chorus but let's work on the rhymes." The funny thing is that Dre and Rick Rubin are probably the only dudes in the world who could tell him that, and both were involved with the track...

So SM3 dropped and I didn't even bother to check it out. Haven't heard a single MMG song on the radio - and I've actually been listening to the (music) radio recently, a new thing for me. Normally it's all sports, but now I check out the pop and rap stations. I'm hearing Jay-Z, Eminem, lots of J Cole and Drake...no Ross. Gonna be interesting to see how Dreamchasers 3 does, but then again we're getting to the point where MMG seems like they're faking shit. I wouldn't be surprised if they inflate the download numbers, just like they payed to have a chick faint at the signing (when TMZ cameras just so happened to be there).

Dereck

No, Event II sucks. Shouldn't have been made. I only say that because I am a huge fan of the first album. There should be a rule in Hip Hop that you cannot make sequels to critically acclaimed sleeper hits longer than 3 years apart.

There are some exceptions though.

/stan

Yea it's just flat out not good. Del smoked all the creativity out of his body this last 10 years.
mj-laughing.gif

T Dollarz

Yeah I kinda want to ignore it's existence by declaring the Lasers-Law. You are allowed to completely ignore an album's existence if you listen to the album once and are so confident in the album's shittiness that you immediately drag the album into your recycle bin or, rather, be it a physical copy then you retreat to behind your house and chuck that fucker into the pond with the might of Hercules. The Blueprint 3 and Lasers were my initial two.

Dereck

Yeah I kinda want to ignore it's existence by declaring the Lasers-Law. You are allowed to completely ignore an album's existence if you listen to the album once and are so confident in the album's shittiness that you immediately drag the album into your recycle bin or, rather, be it a physical copy then you retreat to behind your house and chuck that fucker into the pond with the might of Hercules. The Blueprint 3 and Lasers were my initial two.
HAHAHA I'm dying

Mantrox

Hi there ppl, i apologise for the random question and semi derail..

I have been looking FOREVER for a remix of the Ultra Magnetic MC's track "Poppa Large", but to no avail(spelling?).
The beat was made with sounds of retro arcade games and some distorted synths, and then it just had Keith voice on top.

I saw it on youtube in 2006/2007, and the uploaders channel had a link to myspace profile of a japanese DJ. I think the track was just some edit the dude made, but the beat with keith's voice was so sick!

Does anybody recall hearing this track? *begging*

Dereck

Hi there ppl, i apologise for the random question and semi derail..

I have been looking FOREVER for a remix of the Ultra Magnetic MC's track "Poppa Large", but to no avail(spelling?).
The beat was made with sounds of retro arcade games and some distorted synths, and then it just had Keith voice on top.

I saw it on youtube in 2006/2007, and the uploaders channel had a link to myspace profile of a japanese DJ. I think the track was just some edit the dude made, but the beat with keith's voice was so sick!

Does anybody recall hearing this track? *begging*
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FBJSVPlBBc0 ?

codhand

O x y I'm in ur state eatin off ur dinner plate

oh right, Oxy, any others, or can i start formulating my list?

im not up on thabiz, hrd level upcoming releases so...

i know it was the least popular album of all-time on here but i think it's safe to say jay-z had that summer album this year..

PBY

Banned
PUSHA T ‏@PUSHA_T 5m
I don't make music for niggas with alotta sneakers and no car!! No one over 15 yrs should ever complain abt 8 dollars... #MNIMN 10/8/13

HiiiLife

I'm under the impression Oxy is coming next year. If that's the case then I'll be ready for Kendrick's sophomore major label album in 2014. Sorry Oxy.

Grzi

Listening to Hell Hath No Fury after not hearing it for a while and I gotta say... it's quite possibly the best hip hop album of the 21st century.

Rooster12

See to me it sounds like a very poor imitation of that sound. It is the equivalent of people making 90s style boom bap but having nowhere near the quality the sound was back then.

What about guys like Premo, Alchemist, or Statik Selektah? You don't like their current stuff either?

I mean, Czarface was 10000x better than those cheap Inspectah Deck and Esoteric albums from the late 90s.

Ill Bill's Grimey Awards was decent, and that sounds like some 97-98 stuff.

That Tony Touch album was great as well.

Listening to Hell Hath No Fury after not hearing it for a while and I gotta say... it's quite possibly the best hip hop album of the 21st century.
I wish I like this album as much as yall. I have to say though, I am surprisingly really feeling the songs from Pushas solo so far
What about guys like Premo, Alchemist, or Statik Selektah? You don't like their current stuff either?

I mean, Czarface was 10000x better than those cheap Inspectah Deck and Esoteric albums from the late 90s.

Ill Bill's Grimey Awards was decent, and that sounds like some 97-98 stuff.

That Tony Touch album was great as well.
I mean there are always exceptions, I don't mean to say they are always poor imitations. but no I don't like Statik. Dude is really inconsistent for me. I don't really check for a premo track just because his name is attached to a beat. Maybe in the past yeah.

Esch

Banned
Alc is amazing but Premo in 2013 is basically mostly trash (i'm a stan too) and Statik has never been THAT good. Everytime I'm about to praise him i remember kamspy saying "can anyone name an amazing statik beat off the top of their head" and nobody responding (myself included)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom