• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF-Hop |OT9/9/99| African Substitute Teachers Run NY

Status
Not open for further replies.
Pusha gonna kill Drake this season

40K first week lets go

EGpjrq.gif

CRS

Pusha isn't doing gold anytime soon. Probably by the end of 2014 if he's lucky.

Ayo Doom stans here cannot make fun of Clipse stans after yall claiming homie has like 4 classics

You guys are just as bad
DOOM >>>>>> Clipse / Pusha

Rooster12

I mean there are always exceptions, I don't mean to say they are always poor imitations. but no I don't like Statik. Dude is really inconsistent for me. I don't really check for a premo track just because his name is attached to a beat. Maybe in the past yeah.

Well what I'm trying to say is that a lot of the artists from the 90s (Raekwon, Method Man, Rakim, Mobb Deep) has tried to implement the current sound into their music, and the result is always terrible.

While some current artists implement the 90s sound into their music (Kendrick, Gibbs, Joey Badass, Alchemist) has all been appreciated at least.

It seems the best rappers these days are the guys from the 90s who can still rap (Ghostface, Kool G. Rap, Eminem, Killah Priest), or guys today who can rap with influences from the 90s (Kendrick, Gibbs etc..).

Well what I'm trying to say is that a lot of the artists from the 90s (Raekwon, Method Man, Rakim, Mobb Deep) has tried to implement the current sound into their music, and the result is always terrible.

While some current artists implement the 90s sound into their music (Kendrick, Gibbs, Joey Badass, Alchemist) has all been appreciated at least.

It seems the best rappers these days are the guys from the 90s who can still rap (Ghostface, Kool G. Rap, Eminem, Killah Priest), or guys today who can rap with influences from the 90s (Kendrick, Gibbs etc..).
I am a bit lost as to what that has to do with me thinking Berzerk sounds like a poor beastie boys track tbh.

but I don't really disagree with what you are saying aside from a few names but that would be nitpicking

codhand

Ayo Doom stans here cannot make fun of Clipse stans after yall claiming homie has like at least 4 classics

You guys are just as bad

ftfy

also, i like pretty much everything the clipse have done, even till the casket drops was solid with some exceptional bangers like Kinda Like Big Deal..

overcast

OT: this new Ryan Hemsworth album is fuckin killer.
Shit, I need to get that. Seeing him tonight actually.
just read that too

so

Old
Oxy
MNIMN

there you have it gents
Pretty much all there is for me. I agree that it seems like Oxy might not come out this year. Think they may try and make 2014 a TDE year like 2012.

Old probably won't leak because they're streaming it on the 30th. Where is my fools gold deluxe edition?

It was hard to take HHNF seriously after Fishscale crushed the building that year. HHNF isn't bad but is criminally overrated as coke rap.

dudes need to step their story game up, g

Grzi

It was hard to take HHNF seriously after Fishscale crushed the building that year. HHNF isn't bad but is criminally overrated as coke rap.

dudes need to step their story game up, g

Fishscale is overrated. Don't get me wrong, it's a great album, but it's nowhere near HHNF, especially sonically. The sound that The Neptunes created for HHNF is basically what coke rap should sound like IMO, cold, minimalistic and ruthless, I have no idea why other producers haven't tried to emulate that sound.

I would KILL to hear Ghost and Rae rapping over those beats, but Pusha and Malice did more than good enough.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
In my Film class tutorial, whilst discussing the relation between the historical popularity of certain film genres and societal changes at the time.

"So can anyone describe what the Cold War was about?"
*silence; no one raises their hand*
"Really? No Lil B fans in here?"

Was flabbergasted, but it was awesome.

DominoKid

In my Film class tutorial, whilst discussing the relation between the historical popularity of certain film genres and societal changes at the time.

that's awesome on multiple levels.

CRS

The teacher asked that?

You should have responded, "Who are you? Janelle Monae?"

overcast

HHNF vs. Fishcale is always a funny argument to me. We can't have 2 good coke rap albums guys?

I can't imagine how it was when they first came out.

HHNF vs. Fishcale is always a funny argument to me. We can't have 2 good coke rap albums guys?

I can't imagine how it was when they first came out.

HHNF had better production, Fishscale had better rapping.

also ryan hemsworth album leaked? god damn, gonna go check that out

mooooose

fishscale had good beats, better beats than hhnf overall but some of the worst lyrical work ghost has ever done (besides songs like shakey dog)

hhnf had good hooks, a cohesive experience, and solid raps with tons of quotables

hhnf wins in a landslide tbh, fishscale is mediocre and remembered well because it was the last ghost albumt o get a major push and came out at a good time. its also babys first gfk album

CRS

Yeah, I guess so. A month early, damn.

People at work talking about/praisingMacklemore, what do I say?

That's fine. It irks me when they start claiming that he's bringing "real hip-hop" back though. I never say anything since it's pointless.

Esch

Banned
Can't y'all see that he's done, the rap version of Sanford and Son
Getting fat on your McDonalds and cakes
Won't break you a crumb of the little bit that he bakes
And this is with whom you want to place your faith
I put dollars on real shit, ask Kendrick

Macca

Eh, marketing the African Substitute Teacher is much harder IMO.
Really? Aftermath did a great job with Kendrick, but he had a ton of stuff going for him.

You'd think Q would at least wait till his debut drops until he puts on the pounds.

Esch

Banned
Kendrick's music was so dope he didn't even need aggressive character/personality marketing.

I wish there was a TV show where rappers could get their image reinvented, shit would be hilarious

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Really? Aftermath did a great job with Kendrick, but he had a ton of stuff going for him.

You'd think Q would at least wait till his debut drops until he puts on the pounds.
I think image-wise, Kendrick is definitely boring and bland. Like Esch said, the music spoke for itself, but Swimming Pools was a lucky break. I don't think anyone expected that song to be even a quarter as big as it was. I was still expecting a real single after that one, almost like Swimming Pools was the street single.

Q needs more prevalent marketing just because of how less interconnected he is, and obviously because he's following up a juggernaut in the game so you do have to make those constant associations. I can't even tell you what Aftermath did for Kendrick, did they even do anything? I don't think they tried.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom