• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF-Hop |OTXI| Five Year Nation

Status
Not open for further replies.

IrishNinja

other day Big Ghostface was naming MC's who like ODB had no father to their style - dropped 2Pac and a few other names, i'd have to do some digging to find the exact tweet

made me wonder who else ya'll think falls under this bracket, like a style with next to zero prior influence? kinda tricky, especially these days i'd think

nothing's original under the sun, but Danny was fresh as fuck to me when I heard XXX for the first time

Totally, although funnily enough I'd link ODB and Danny Brown together. Not in exact sound, but their tracks have a similar sense of humor and stylistic abrasiveness.

not trynna lower my digital real estate value
i'm sure you understand

xJ3sq.png

Aren't you actually in Ireland?

we gotta stop this Irish on Irish hatred. I hear that tends to not work out too well

Bono taught me
It's worked out pretty good before.

Also fuck U2. That baldy prick, the edge, called the cops on me because my car was parked near his house one night, just because it was a piece of shit it's suspicious. Cops pull up when I'm in the backseat with this fine ass girl doing my thing.

Luckily the cops were pretty cool. Turns out they hated U2 as well.

Cunts.

cacophony

Also fuck U2. That baldy prick, the edge, called the cops on me because my car was parked near his house one night, just because it was a piece of shit it's suspicious. Cops pull up when I'm in the backseat with this fine ass girl doing my thing.

Cunts.

lmao seriously? the edge fucking sucks , ost overrated guitarist ever

yo should i get TLOU remaster? i kinda want to but i feel dumb buying the same shit twice basicaly

CRS

Cunts.

lmao What the fuck.

I would have fucked the girl in his driveway.

IrishNinja

*editor's note: absolutely none of that ever happened

Cacos - i'm picking up my copy tomorrow, half-off trade + gamestop discount card meant it was a little over $20. between my interest in the DLC & wanting to replay the game again on day (on extreme survival mode, at least for a stage or two haha) and not have it run like butt like it does on my ps triple makes it worth that for me

that's blessed i would have been honored to be cockblocked by the edge. what a wack name tho. i really like u2 up to the 90s tho.

tho tho

RE: Shabazz Palaces

There's a special zone that great albums find themselves in where your first impression isn't something specific, or clear, or even coherent. Nothing about the production or lyrics or content at all. It's just...fuuuuuuuck. Like, fuuuuuuuuuuuuck. It keeps you out of the past (reference building) and future (noting observations to flesh out) and plants you firmly in the present. One of my favorite things in the whole word is just being trapped in that zone with an album and being completely swallowed up by its presence. All of my personal favorites can transport me there.

Lese Majesty is all up in that zone. First listen had me completely engaged in the album moment by moment. The production changes so gradually, with such fluidity and the entire record is so cohesive that you just lose yourself in it. It's insane.

Quick example with another great record: every once in a while during Pinata you stop and think about how dope Madlib is, right? And how long he's been dope, how varied the dudes he's worked with have been, how smooth he always is. And Gibbs being a monster and killing tracks and knowing exactly how to approach any given beats nooks and crannies. Pinata is a fantastic album, but Pinata can't drag me out of my own mind. Lese Majesty did that shit with ease. Beautiful album.

PS: the effortlessness of its transitions and how quick they execute ideas and move on reminds me a lot of The Avalanches in the best way possible. In and out, always pushing forward. Flirting briefly with darker, scaled down moments before moving back into these lush multi layered all angle attacks. Just amazing.

overcast

Man, Pickles, how you going to do that to me after I make my post? Write some well written, poetic impression of an album.

other day Big Ghostface was naming MC's who like ODB had no father to their style - dropped 2Pac and a few other names, i'd have to do some digging to find the exact tweet

made me wonder who else ya'll think falls under this bracket, like a style with next to zero prior influence? kinda tricky, especially these days i'd think

unless I'm being stupid, pretty sure that Aesop Rock pretty much did his own thing

Remark

Banned
Just jumping in here to say every album release as of now in 2014 has been trash on a multitude of levels besides Riff Raff's album and this year won't get better until Earl and Joey Badass drop their albums.

Stay Positive!
Remark tha gawd

Koozek

Slum Village, brehs. Slum. Village. Pretty much the most fatherless bunch. Who spat like T3 and Baatin in 1995, huh? Who!? Tell me.

Macca

Just jumping in here to say every album release as of now in 2014 has been trash on a multitude of levels besides Riff Raff's album and this year won't get better until Earl and Joey Badass drop their albums.

Stay Positive!
Remark tha gawd
Lol. Saviours of Hip Hop, Earl and Joey Badass.

Riff Raff, Joey Badass and Earl. The holy trinity of Rap.

I'm 99% sure it's alien music. Like 45 minutes of another galaxy's Illmatic just dropped onto Earth and made its way online/into stores.

bro...why haven't i listened to this yet?! sounds amazing.

and also sacrilegious macca lumping riff raff and earl with crusty joey badass

cacophony

*editor's note: absolutely none of that ever happened

Cacos - i'm picking up my copy tomorrow, half-off trade + gamestop discount card meant it was a little over $20. between my interest in the DLC & wanting to replay the game again on day (on extreme survival mode, at least for a stage or two haha) and not have it run like butt like it does on my ps triple makes it worth that for me

guess ill get that shit. aint anything else on the ps4 right now or next month

Ninja Dom

Musical Taste:
• Pick a coast to rep - East
• Favorite Artist - Max B, THE GREATEST RAPPER ALIVE
• Best feature killer -
• Favourite producer - Dame Grease
• Favourite album - The Infamous, Cuban Lynx, Vigilante Season, Enter 36 Chambers
• What's in your playlist right now? - Jody Highroller

GAF-Hop Discusses:
• Rank Kanye's albums: I can't, don't listen to him
• Who is the best Wu-Tang member? RZA
• Jay Z or Nas? Nas
• Biggie or Pac? Biggie
• What’s your dream album/project? Max B 2nd solo studio album, Dame Grease production, none of his GainGreene crew on there.
• Who is the next big rapper/producer?
• Who is the most overrated/underrated emcee? Max B is the most underrated - still doesn't get the props he deserves but I suppose going to prison for 100 years doesn't help.
• Have you been known to eat ass?

Will fill out the rest later.

overcast

guess ill get that shit. aint anything else on the ps4 right now or next month
I'm getting a PS4 in early September, but I already bought LOU Remaster (took advantage of the trade in + coupon). So, we can play a bit, unless we'll all be playing Destiny.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom