• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gaf Needs to Attract to The Remaining 40% of Gamers...Women.

Lets see how civil we can be...​

This needed its own thread.

In 2021, women accounted for 45 percent of gamers in the United States, up from 41 percent of U.S. gamers identifying as women during the previous year.

UPDATE: For those who say the sourcs above only account for women on smartphones. Almost half of playstation gamer are women

ni0cHSW.png

Alot of the discussions we have on here about the pandering, the diversity, how characters are too sexy, how characters are too woke in gaming... All go out the window when we include women who simply dont care. Im not saying all of us on here are that way and im also not saying we shouldnt call out obvious marketing forced agendas

But we tend to self evangelize.

UPDATE: Based on the comment we still think:
  1. Women gamers arent real
  2. Women who react to games dont play games
  3. Women only play mobile games
  4. Women are causal gamers
  5. Women are not core gamers
  6. Women think Gaffers are incels. He said it, not me.

Edit: TITLE: Gaf Needs to Appeal* to The Remaining 40% of Gamers...Women.

Last edited:

tmlDan

Albeit a pretty confrontational environment I haven't seen anything on this forum that dissuades females from joining in conversation or any "you're a woman what do you know" mentalities.

How do we get more females to join the forum? a recruitment campaign? lol

I don't understand the point of this unless you have a solution/opinion on how to fix things.

In 2021, women accounted for 45 percent of gamers in the United States, up from 41 percent of U.S. gamers identifying as women during the previous year.

Alot of the discussions we have on here about the pandering, the diversity, how characters are too sexy, how characters are too woke in gaming... All go out the window when we include women who simply dont care. Im not saying all of us on here are that way and im also not saying we shouldnt call out obvious marketing forced agendas

If you believe that stat you are crazy, they are counting candy crush style mobile games and old ladies playing pogo on their computers as gamers. This list is from a study done in 2017, it's likely still very close to those same numbers.

y5qRUO3.png

Last edited:
How do you know we're not women?
Some notable things about women on gaming forums i notice.

1. Women tend not to be pushy with their opinions.
2. Women tend to focus more on having fun.
3. Women tend to explore different opinions with little animosity.
4. Women tend not to insult others even when pushed, the ones that do can be easily told apart from men who insult others for the most part.
5. Women tend to like attractive female leads, I think because they like to think of themselves as that attractive female lead.
6. Women dont like it when women are hit in their sexual parts(breasts for example)

I think bi and lesbian women blend in better in male forums and discords too while regular women find it hard to do so.

The problem is that women dont want the unwanted attention from guys(see female experiences in WoW for example) but find it hard to fit in and be able to freely express themselves.

The current solution is to have male and female forums. Though female forums tend to be hard to find. So facebook seems to the be the best resource for female gamer interaction. Easy to block people who are male for the in groups.

Just some dumb thoughts i decided to post.

15 year old article but i think it still stands today.

Soosa

Banned

Why do you assume, that Females arent already here?

And when gamer = anyone whom plays some mobile games, then it is not the whole truth to count em all. Assuming women like to play "light mobile games" more than men, then they dont want or need "real" gaming forums.

What is the point of bringing gender into forums anyway? If we start to modify things to somehow make things more female friendly, then it ruins the atmosphere. And then we would assume, that women cant communicate like men can, if they need some special attention.

Which of course could be true because when generic man asks help:

"hey, I have a problem with this game and.."

But when generic female asks help:

"hey, I'm a girl gamer (here is my picture), and I have this problem.. please help a girl in trouble!"

Which makes things weird and turns the discussion from the problem into some weird "because I am a girl, it somehow affects the said problem in my mind and being a girl gives me a privilege to get some special attention!"

But I do believe that there are plenty of women on this site already, they are just the regular kind of people, that dont have the need to push their gender into the discussion.

Games should be games, a form of art, not some weird platform to push agendas.

BootsLoader

Banned
I’ve no problem with women joining the forum. But I don’t think we need to do something or change something in order to attract them. This place is already fantastic, I’m having a good time and I love it. Women come come and join anytime.
What do you want us to talk for? Makeup? Foundation? New mascara for Maybelline New York?

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
If you believe that stat you are crazy, they are counting candy crush style mobile games and old ladies playing pogo on their computers as gamers. This list is from a study done in 2017, it's likely still very close to those same numbers.

y5qRUO3.png
Surprised WRPGS is that high. I dont envision women sitting there playing D&D kinds of games. But at about 1/4, I guess more than I think.

I would had thought more women would play shooters and sports. No doubt those are dude bro kinds of genres, but considering how mainstream COD and FIFA is, I would had thought more than 1/50 would be women.

Last edited:

Arcadialane

These reaction videos are some of the cringest stuff there is on YT.

People filming themselves and their fake reactions while watching something… How far have we come.
And the OP wants us to appeal to this, probably alienating the majority core of the users who would leave, just to bring in a few %.... great plan

Last edited:
Some notable things about women on gaming forums i notice.

1. Women tend not to be pushy with their opinions.
2. Women tend to focus more on having fun.
3. Women tend to explore different opinions with little animosity.
4. Women tend not to insult others even when pushed, the ones that do can be easily told apart from men who insult others for the most part.
5. Women tend to like attractive female leads, I think because they like to think of themselves as that attractive female lead.
6. Women dont like it when women are hit in their sexual parts(breasts for example)
You've never been married, have you?

Airbus Jr

Banned
Never met many women around here

The one i knew are Ailyn, CatLady, Bernkastel, kylliethic and SubLevel and thats just me assumming them as women based on their avatar and the way they speak

The famous one like cryptoadams and StiflersMom are already gone awhile ago for covid conspiracy

Last edited:
Top Bottom