• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gaf Needs to Attract to The Remaining 40% of Gamers...Women.

FunkMiller

Gold Member
Is this an attempt at making cringe a harvestable resource?

The cringe must flow!

Jason Momoa Knife GIF by Nerdist.com

TheSHEEEP

Gold Member
Games were better when they were made by men for men.
I mean, yes, but that was more of a coincidence of there not being many women in either hobby or industry back then.
First and foremost, they were games made by gamers for gamers.
The driving thought was "I'd like to play something like this".

Nowadays, it is often neither. Games made by people who think Candy Crush is gaming, for people who hate gamers.
The driving thought is "I think this will do well on Twitter".
The outcomes are not very surprising.

All you need to do to attract more women to actual gaming is the same as attracting everyone else: Don't exclude players based on irrelevant stuff like gender, and just generally don't be a dick.
It's so simple, but MANY insecure people seem to be struggling with that thought.

Last edited:

RoboFu

One of the green rats
Some notable things about women on gaming forums i notice.

1. Women tend not to be pushy with their opinions.
2. Women tend to focus more on having fun.
3. Women tend to explore different opinions with little animosity.
4. Women tend not to insult others even when pushed, the ones that do can be easily told apart from men who insult others for the most part.
5. Women tend to like attractive female leads, I think because they like to think of themselves as that attractive female lead.
6. Women dont like it when women are hit in their sexual parts(breasts for example)

I think bi and lesbian women blend in better in male forums and discords too while regular women find it hard to do so.

The problem is that women dont want the unwanted attention from guys(see female experiences in WoW for example) but find it hard to fit in and be able to freely express themselves.

The current solution is to have male and female forums. Though female forums tend to be hard to find. So facebook seems to the be the best resource for female gamer interaction. Easy to block people who are male for the in groups.

Just some dumb thoughts i decided to post.

15 year old article but i think it still stands today.

1 - 4 is straight up bs.
why do you think reality shows, soap operas, and shows like snapped are so popular with demographics being 90% women? Drama drama drama

ZywyPL

Banned
No it doesn't. You can't (in the sense you both can't and shouldn't) force people into something they're not interested in, it's as simple as that. Like Jordan Belfort (the real Wolf od Wall Street) said - "you don't want to sell a pen to someone who doesn't need a pen". Those 40% are not playing the games that are not even being discussed discussed, and they most likely don't even want to discuss the games, just play them.

GymWolf

Gold Member
Never met many women around here

The one i knew are Ailyn, CatLady, Bernkastel, kylliethic and SubLevel and thats just me assumming them as women based on their avatar and the way they speak

The famous one like cryptoadams and StiflersMom are already gone awhile ago for covid conspiracy
Kylliethic is a she?!

Lol i called half of these people dude multiple times...

Adds nevan to that list.

1 - 4 is straight up bs.
why do you think reality shows, soap operas, and shows like snapped are so popular with demographics being 90% women? Drama drama drama
It's so they dont draw attention to themselves not so much that they are angels or whatever. Women are different in an environment where they have to minimize themselves to "survive". Does that make sense? It is just something i notice with women who do display the fact they are women until a lot later on the forum.

ReBurn

Gold Member
Women aren't going to hang out in a place where dudes cry because games aren't showing enough T&A. Most people don't like to be made to feel uncomfortable.

Some notable things about women on gaming forums i notice.

1. Women tend not to be pushy with their opinions.
2. Women tend to focus more on having fun.
3. Women tend to explore different opinions with little animosity.
4. Women tend not to insult others even when pushed, the ones that do can be easily told apart from men who insult others for the most part.
5. Women tend to like attractive female leads, I think because they like to think of themselves as that attractive female lead.
6. Women dont like it when women are hit in their sexual parts(breasts for example)

I think bi and lesbian women blend in better in male forums and discords too while regular women find it hard to do so.

The problem is that women dont want the unwanted attention from guys(see female experiences in WoW for example) but find it hard to fit in and be able to freely express themselves.

The current solution is to have male and female forums. Though female forums tend to be hard to find. So facebook seems to the be the best resource for female gamer interaction. Easy to block people who are male for the in groups.

Just some dumb thoughts i decided to post.

15 year old article but i think it still stands today.

This is why women don't want to hang out with gamers boys. Gamer boys think they have women all figured out.

Women are individuals just like men are.

RoboFu

One of the green rats
It's so they dont draw attention to themselves not so much that they are angels or whatever. Women are different in an environment where they have to minimize themselves to "survive". Does that make sense? It is just something i notice with women who do display the fact they are women until a lot later on the forum.

no that doesn’t make sense. “ survive “? Women are not that fragile. And they are not all alike. They certainly don’t need protecting or for others to speak for them. Or for people to tell them what groups they should be apart of.

no that doesn’t make sense. “ survive “? Women are not that fragile. And they are not all alike. They certainly don’t need protecting or for others to speak for them. Or for people to tell them what groups they should be apart of.
I did mention that in the first post. But regular women dont want unwanted dms from them revealing that they are women. I've heard many women complain about how they are treated as soon as they reveal they are female like getting death threats etc. One of my female gamer friends is considering a voice app for online games.

tassletine

"All go out the window when we include women who simply don't care"

That applies to everyone male and female. You can't try and attract people who don't give a toss.
Strange that these women you speak of don't care but you want to attract them to a super nerdy sit like GAF where people either care too much, or pretend to, or just do it to wind others up. What exactly would these people who don't care do here?

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
Women aren't going to hang out in a place where dudes cry because games aren't showing enough T&A. Most people don't like to be made to feel uncomfortable.
I’m pretty uncomfortable with a lot of opinions expressed here.
I’m still thankful they can be expressed, for the amazing replys and backfiring if anything.
Straight harassment won’t fly here.

I’m also quite confident that T&A is something women are quite at ease discussing, especially if the T&A belong to a fictional character.

Again, I think the very premise of this thread is more demeaning towards women than most actual gaming-related discussions we have here.

If you believe that stat you are crazy, they are counting candy crush style mobile games and old ladies playing pogo on their computers as gamers. This list is from a study done in 2017, it's likely still very close to those same numbers.

y5qRUO3.png

"... approximately 41 per cent of PlayStation 5 and PS4 owners are women. Compare this to just 18 per cent on PS1, and clearly the demographic for consoles is growing."

ni0cHSW.png

mRbNjLe.png

We have a solid ratio of visitors, all things considered.

But visitors doesnt nessasarily mean contributors doest? Im no mod so i really dont know. Not saying we needs to know whos who making thread or anyo e needs to announce tbeir gender. But it obvious gaming is not a one gender discussion anymore.

No, it didn’t.

No, it doesn’t. But then again, I don’t speak for the entirety of GAF. I only speak for myself, and I don’t need to appeal to anyone.
Especially not smelly girls!
Actually this did need a separate discussion.

A few of us were quick to use these same women gamer reactions of project eve when we have femboys in our mist saying female character cant be "too sexy".

DZ_b_EZ

I don't think you've been here long. If you've seen the posts and comments these guys make around here, women would join and leave so quick.

Interfectum

If you believe that stat you are crazy, they are counting candy crush style mobile games and old ladies playing pogo on their computers as gamers. This list is from a study done in 2017, it's likely still very close to those same numbers.

y5qRUO3.png
What's hilarious about this stat is the gaming media in general ignores mobile gaming yet includes stats like these to say 'hey look womenz are buying up PS5s like crazy!"

DragonNCM

I know meny girl gamers.....including my two doughters......but this

Lets see how civil we can be...​

This needed its own thread.

In 2021, women accounted for 45 percent of gamers in the United States, up from 41 percent of U.S. gamers identifying as women during the previous year.

UPDATE: For those who say the sourcs above only account for women on smartphones. Almost half of playstation gamer are women

ni0cHSW.png

Alot of the discussions we have on here about the pandering, the diversity, how characters are too sexy, how characters are too woke in gaming... All go out the window when we include women who simply dont care. Im not saying all of us on here are that way and im also not saying we shouldnt call out obvious marketing forced agendas

But we tend to self evangelize.

UPDATE: Based on the comment we still think:
  1. Women gamers arent real
  2. Women who react to games dont play games
  3. Women only play mobile games
  4. Women are causal gamers
  5. Women are not core gamers
  6. Women think Gaffers are incels. He said it, not me.

Edit: TITLE: Gaf Needs to Appeal* to The Remaining 40% of Gamers...Women.

I know meny girl gamers.....including my two doughters & my wife......but this bullshit what you have posted are fake wanabe internet video stars,with their fake coments & reactions.
BRAZZERS have more talented actresses if you ask me.

BabyYoda

Banned
I do wonder how many female PlayStation accounts are those created for their kids to play on...hardcore female gamers do exist, I've known one in my entire life! But most are not going to be frequenting sites like this (the one I know never reads up on anything gaming related, she mostly just plays crap like COD etc with her boyfriend). I guess "gamer" and "hardcore gamer" needs to be more clearly defined. I've no doubt many females play some form of video games, but imo, it doesn't mean to them what it means to us, not even close. This may offend someone, but boys and girls are different and no amount of indoctrination is going to change that.

Flutta

Banned
Imagine some poster on a knitting forum talking about how they need to attract more males for reasons.
That thread would be closed in a heartbeat.

Seriously i dont understand this, why do we need to include women in everything we do? Do they include us in everything they do?
If women/girls wants to join a gaming forum of all places be my guest but why make it like your mission. Its fucking weird man.
OP needs a womens comfort in a damn gaming forum. Parhetic to say the least.

Lol, it is crazy strange. I wonder if there's this odd push to force include women in other male dominated communities like hunting, football, construction etc. etc. I doubt it. I also don't remember this push being such a big deal in gaming 10 years ago.

I think the obvious answer is money. Publishers see that very few women play video games so they try to cater to them to increase profits. Fanboys and lonely boys see their favorite publishers cater to women so they parrot what their masters say.

Very strange.

justiceiro

Marlboro: Other M
I believe genders have equal value, but are fundamentally different. So, to appeal for a woman audience, it's easier if women tries that. There is probably a lot of subject that women find interesting that doesn't get discussed here in gaf, so i welcome any girl to go and create a topic about those.

However, I can't do a lot beyond ignore what don't appeal to me. I can't go and white knight anyone, even if I think them having their space is a good thing. White Knight is something you can only do about people you think are incapable, and I don't think any woman are incapable.

Imagine some poster on a knitting forum talking about how they need to attract more males for reasons.
I guess were assuming knitting is done only by women.
That thread would be closed in a heartbeat.

Seriously i dont understand this, why do we need to include women in everything we do? Do they include us in everything they do?
If women/girls wants to join a gaming forum of all places be my guest but why make it like your mission. Its fucking weird man.

Its cool to be edgy and downplay, i get, i do it too.

Top Bottom