• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF Photography 2007 - Q2

Status
Not open for further replies.

AirBrian

fart said:
Oh, yeah I just realized it's still only AF and not AF-S.

Anyhow, some pics from this weekend:

DSC_6082.jpg

DSC_6089.jpg

DSC_6104.jpg

DSC_6106.jpg

AirBrian, wonderful! 2 & 3 are my favorites.

Some shots from hiking last week...it was kind of an overcast day, so I pulled out the Cokin blue/yellow polarizer which can add a little surreal color to just about any scene. I shot a bunch favoring the blue aspect of the polarizer as well, I'll try to post some in a day or two.

RSZ_0357ps.jpg

RSZ_0335ps.jpg

RSZ_0418ps.jpg

RSZ_0415ps.jpg

RSZ_0369ps.jpg

RSZ_0490ps.jpg

RSZ_0473ps.jpg

samusx

Banned
Here are some from Sanjusangendo Temple in Kyoto.

One of these is my assignment sumbission for now. You were not aloud to take photos in the statue room.

NoPhoto.jpg

IMG_1867-800x1200.jpg

IMG_1870-800x1200.jpg

IMG_1873-1200x800.jpg

IMG_1887-800x1200.jpg

SnakeXs

about the same metal capacity as a cucumber
Here's a few from a romp today.

buildingsolo.jpg

windowpattern1.jpg

And here's a few from a little band Ryce the Regend and I stumbled upon in the Times Square subway station. OTers will notice that this is the same exact spot Eddie Gordo kicked the baby.

I feel the need to at least plug them. They're a group of cellists, and a drummer (here with bongos). Think sorta like Apocalyptica type stuff, in very much their own style. They put on a solid show, and drew a good crowd with every song. If you wanna check them out:

Break of Reality

breakofreality2.jpg

breakofreality4.jpg

breakofreality6.jpg

I just bought a Cyber-shot W80 over the weekend to accompany my bulky Olympus. It's small, has a great menu system and quite a few manual features. Still tinkering with low-lit situations but overall it takes quality pictures.

01.jpg

02.jpg

el jacko

kitchenmotors, I really like that second shot; the abstraction works really well.

Hey, I have a question for everyone. My friend is looking for a digital camera to get. He wants a simple point and shoot (nothing too expensive) but would like it to have some nice features; image stabilization is a must but also some other useful things (some manual options, etc). I do not know the digital camera market very well, but does anyone here have a suggestion?

otthon

Banned
samusx said:
You were not aloud to take photos in the statue room.
There is a huge Stupa and temple in my city, it has 10,000 gold buddhas. I always wanted to take a picture of it, but I was not sure if I was allowed to. I guess I got my answer.

yonder

el jacko said:
Hey, I have a question for everyone. My friend is looking for a digital camera to get. He wants a simple point and shoot (nothing too expensive) but would like it to have some nice features; image stabilization is a must but also some other useful things (some manual options, etc). I do not know the digital camera market very well, but does anyone here have a suggestion?
Have a look at Canon Powershot a570, a710 and sd800.

abq

I missed the bus the other day and decided to walk home instead. Managed to take some pictures of the sky.

502699771_4183cd123f.jpg

502478281_6a30aecb57.jpg

502699775_d0297d9486.jpg

502699767_984a2ef2b6.jpg

Phobophile

A scientist and gentleman in the manner of Batman.
Here are pretty much my best shots with my point-and-shoot (PowerShot A620). I'm hoping to buy a D-SLR as soon as I find a goddamn job.

IMG_0487.jpg

IMG_0262.jpg

IMG_0251.jpg

kagete

I got the Nikon d40 I ordered today! I was so excited I ordered nearly a ton of accessories for it, most of which arrived before the camera. I'm one trip to the bank away from ordering the 55-200mm VR nikkor lens...

I was really close to getting a Pentax K100 with similar lens but got lucky on eBay. I was worried the entire week that the item would show up scratched or used. Thank God the seller was real honest (she's relatively new with only 200+ feedback) and didn't ship me a grey market one or a body with the sensor all dusted up.

Aagh. I wish I could start taking photos, but we've got a major barbecue right now and the weather is almost unbearable (85 degrees out).

mrkgoo

Samusx/lucky forward: nice stuff :)

Imastalker: Awesome shots - I really like these ones (both posts). What mode do you typically shoot in? AV/TV/M ?

SnakeXs

about the same metal capacity as a cucumber
mrkgoo said:
Imastalker: Awesome shots - I really like these ones (both posts). What mode do you typically shoot in? AV/TV/M ?

Exif data says all 4 are in manual. Which leads me to...

Why the extreme small apertures? Some of these shots are daylight at 1.8-2, with very fast shutters peeds (>1000).

I'm sure, seeing as they're portraits and all, you want some decent bokeh, but at that extreme, in print/full res you'll notice a lack of sharpness anywhere but the center point.

Ah well, just made me wonder.

mrkgoo

SnakeXs said:
Exif data says all 4 are in manual. Which leads me to...

Why the extreme small apertures? Some of these shots are daylight at 1.8-2, with very fast shutters peeds (>1000).

I'm sure, seeing as they're portraits and all, you want some decent bokeh, but at that extreme, in print/full res you'll notice a lack of sharpness anywhere but the center point.

Ah well, just made me wonder.

Ah, cool. Just extra Bokeh, I guess. Not everyone prints out photos really large, so you can really make things stand out when you REALLY blur the backgrounds with a wide aperture. You can make the subject entirely sharp, but then teh background won't be as blurred either. It's a compromise.

Different reasons for doing things - the aim isn't necessarily to always get an entirely sharp subject. In my latest assignment photo, I wanted to increase grain so deliberately shot at high iso, narrow aperture. Didn't turn out as noisy as I'd like, but I still liked the picture. Speaking of which, isn't the deadline coming soon?

yeah they're manual. i shoot 1.8 just for depth of field/bokeh purposes.

when it comes to portraits/head shots (especially headshots), the pictures should be about one thing, and one thing only. the backround is irrelevant.

atleast that's my view on the subject of head shots/portraits.

here's another head shot. i gotta say, i sorta feel cheap when i do them, but im starting to appreciate them just because it's suuuuch easy money. although if anything, i should probably just appreciate LA for having so many people in need of them.

img3594ul1.jpg

el jacko

Thank you for the camera advice, even if the question seemed somewhat silly. My friend appreciated it.

Forsete, I'm honestly not sure why, but I really like those pictures of yours; I think they look fantastic I think it's the depth of field; the focus on one plant with more of the same, blurred in the background, works really well.

Grimlock

Hey, can anyone suggest some resources on portrait posing? I've been getting really frustrated with how poorly I'm getting some shots off-my ideas seem to just make fouled-up pictures, and the more I try, the worse the shots can get.

aidan

Hugo Award Winning Author and Editor
506573968_8f5f65a9ea.jpg

506603985_e7e8f51dfc.jpg

506603909_c54d5508ac.jpg

Haven't had a whole lot of time to go out shooting right now, but I did get these couple of shots that I liked.

Enjoy!

went out to the desert again last night.

cliched as hell, but i gotta say, when you live in a big city, you come to appreciate the shit out of stars whenever you actually see them.

508292269_3b0121b6cc_o.jpg

508292255_fb8e68eca6_o.jpg

508292251_a4f0484d2e_o.jpg

Grimlock

Just screwing around today trying out my new wide-angle lens (a Vivitar 19-35mm f3.5/4.5 I got for $75 shipped off Ebay):

igp3955forwebry0.jpg

This one I took to test the sharpness (knocked the aperature down to F22):

igp3952forwebju6.jpg

I also screwed around with my 50mm prime F2 lens yesterday at work:

igp3920forwebag8.jpg

igp3923forwebsd8.jpg

otthon

Banned
My night photography is hampered by a lack of experience and a tilted tripod that i have to 'force' level.

511492360_670f89a26f_b.jpg

511492344_28181fa46c_o.jpg

My first attempt at fireworks. :) Good news is that the fireworks go off 2x a week in the summer so I can get some practice. Bad news is they are so ****ing budget. :lol

511519465_dbaa68041a_o.jpg

A pic of my new favorite snack! :
511519463_4532c52647.jpg

Kuran

Banned
Photography threads don't work because nobody wants to be the one posting their pictures at the end of a certain page.. : )

Kuran said:
Photography threads don't work because nobody wants to be the one posting their pictures at the end of a certain page.. : )
Yeah, we're all just waiting for a few posts to trickle in and bump us onto a new page.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom