• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF Photography Q1 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.
Join the NeoGAFotography group on Flickr: flickr.com/groups/neogafotography.

Previous thread: GAF Photography Q3 - 2014 by Fattony12000.

Some notes for your kind consideration when posting in this thread:
  1. Please embed your photos up to a maximum width of 1600 pixels.
  2. Make your photos clickable links that take the user to a Flickr version.
The best of 2014!
COMING SOON! COMING SOON! COMING SOON!
PM ME YOUR BEST PHOTOS!
COMING SOON!COMING SOON!COMING SOON!

15452985024_205edd5ff4_c.jpg
15552362023_60d83eb091_c.jpg

Sec0nd

I primarily make videos and occasionally dip into photography. I tried to crop a picture once to a 21:9 ratio just to check what it would look like. Now I'm kind of addicted. I'm really liking the 21:9 for both video and photography now. Frustrates the heck out of me though since I just wish I could get the same kind of image quality with film!

MisteOchtend by Sec0nd, on Flickr

IMG_1507 by Sec0nd, on Flickr

2014-12-28 10.36.19 by Sec0nd, on Flickr

_DSC8556 by Sec0nd, on Flickr

Reposting, I was last post in the last thread. My first contributions to these threads:

one bad dude by JeanPaulShart, on Flickr

jake by JeanPaulShart, on Flickr

jess by JeanPaulShart, on Flickr

Hey, you! Welcome to the party!

The first two look like stills from a movie. Test shots?

Thanks! Actually, just candid shots of family, cropped to a more "filmic" ratio.

I primarily make videos and occasionally dip into photography. I tried to crop a picture once to a 21:9 ratio just to check what it would look like. Now I'm kind of addicted. I'm really liking the 21:9 for both video and photography now. Frustrates the heck out of me though since I just wish I could get the same kind of image quality with film!

Love these! I'm much in the same boat--mostly work with video but am branching into photography to complement it.

DJ SLEV3N

Banned

Awesome shots! I've been thinking of a new lens to compliment my 50mm prime, after seeing your shots, I believe I'll go with a wide angle lens to try this ratio out, I'm digging it.

Anyways, some more from last night.

Love the aspect ratio and shots! I already crop mine to 16:9 already, but I decided to try 21:9 on two of my pictures.

I'm hoping to improve a lot this year. I can't seem to really get inspired and go out and shoot unless I'm on vacation, but I'm going to try to stop being so lazy this year.

element

Seriously thinking of moving from Canon to Sony. Looking at the A7ii is REALLY tempting! Now if I can convince Best Buy to do 18 month financing.

MikeDown

Banned
I have been busy learning french and HTML so I haven't gone out and taken too many pictures recently; planning on setting aside some time to do that later on.

^really love those three images; pretty interesting and catches the eye

mulac

Doing Everest Base Camp trek in March this year and need a camera.
I'm "ok" but proper cameras but by no means an enthusiast.

Suggestions on model/lense to buy? Looking at the Sony RX10...

Okay, guys... I'm in a pickle. I live in Chicago and it is basically 0 degrees or colder every single day. I hate the cold and can't stand being outside in it, even to take pictures.

How can I set up a sort of DIY studio space in my home? I want to keep shooting, and I think the weather grants me an opportunity to focus on studio photography (where I'm safe/warm). I'm looking to do product photography, macro photography, and portraits. Any suggestions on how to build my own set?

Okay, guys... I'm in a pickle. I live in Chicago and it is basically 0 degrees or colder every single day. I hate the cold and can't stand being outside in it, even to take pictures.

How can I set up a sort of DIY studio space in my home? I want to keep shooting, and I think the weather grants me an opportunity to focus on studio photography (where I'm safe/warm). I'm looking to do product photography, macro photography, and portraits. Any suggestions on how to build my own set?

Can I just say that Chicago weather sucks, I agree, haha. I was off from school today and tomorrow was called off as well. :/

Subbed! I bought a Nikon D3200 last year and haven't had much time to play with it. I am by no means a "photographer," but I am passionate enough to give it a shot!

Tekniqs

in on this crew this year. My camera has been sitting on the shelf for way too long lol. My problem is that I don't go out of my way to take photos; It's usually just on vacations. Gonna try to do better this year.

Nice!! I've been deciding between the 85mm and 100mm IS for my next prime lens.

Both are incredible lenses. You can't go wrong with them. My next lenses are hopefully the Canon 17-40 L and the 135mm L (If I can afford it, haha). Are you a big portrait person?

Join the NeoGAFotography group on Flickr: flickr.com/groups/neogafotography.

I sent a request and got nothing yet. If you need another Mod in there, feel free to let me know. :) Thanks for creating that group!!

grmlin

Both are incredible lenses. You can't go wrong with them. My next lenses are hopefully the Canon 17-40 L and the 135mm L (If I can afford it, haha). Are you a big portrait person?

I sent a request and got nothing yet. If you need another Mod in there, feel free to let me know. :) Thanks for creating that group!!

The 135mm is by far the lens I will miss most with my Fuji! Such an incredible lens.

The 135mm is by far the lens I will miss most with my Fuji! Such an incredible lens.

I don't know if it's the focal length or what, but that lens creates some magical images. It's definitely my dream lens. It would be the PERFECT lens if it had IS, but it's still worth it.

I love photos but im clueless when it comes to the right camera to purchase, can someone recomend me a starter camera under 200 to get started? to many on Amazon.

I love photos but im clueless when it comes to the right camera to purchase, can someone recomend me a starter camera under 200 to get started? to many on Amazon.

If you want a starting DSLR or Mirrorless, there is no way you'll pull off one for $200 (Sorry, man). The top brands are Sony, Canon & Nikon for DSLR. You can ignore Sony unless you're going Full Frame ($2K+).

Nikon D3300 is a fantastic starter DSLR. It's 24.2 MP (Megapixels) and can do some great work when paired up with a great lens. The only downsides to Nikon (In my personal opinion) are that the UI isn't as user-friendly as Canon's and the lens choices aren't the best (Canon has created amazing focal length lenses that you won't find on Nikon). It's practically the big reason why so many Canon users stick with Canon. Still, if you take the time to learn, it's definitely worth it. Nikon cameras produce rich images, but are a little behind on the movie mode.

For Canon, The T5i is great. Sadly, the megapixel count is only at 18. but with a wider selection of lenses and a fantastic movie mode mixed with a user-friendly UI, it's a good camera.

Now, before you choose your camera, lenses, etc.. what are you interested in shooting? Landscape? Portraits? Fashion? Sports? It's always good to have a rough idea at what you want to do with the camera and purchase your lenses based on that choice. Hopefully some of this info helps. :)

If you want a starting DSLR or Mirrorless, there is no way you'll pull off one for $200 (Sorry, man). The top brands are Sony, Canon & Nikon for DSLR. You can ignore Sony unless you're going Full Frame ($2K+).

Nikon D3300 is a fantastic starter DSLR. It's 24.2 MP (Megapixels) and can do some great work when paired up with a great lens. The only downsides to Nikon (In my personal opinion) are that the UI isn't as user-friendly as Canon's and the lens choices aren't the best (Canon has created amazing focal length lenses that you won't find on Nikon). It's practically the big reason why so many Canon users stick with Canon. Still, if you take the time to learn, it's definitely worth it. Nikon cameras produce rich images, but are a little behind on the movie mode.

For Canon, The T5i is great. Sadly, the megapixel count is only at 18. but with a wider selection of lenses and a fantastic movie mode mixed with a user-friendly UI, it's a good camera.

Now, before you choose your camera, lenses, etc.. what are you interested in shooting? Landscape? Portraits? Fashion? Sports? It's always good to have a rough idea at what you want to do with the camera and purchase your lenses based on that choice. Hopefully some of this info helps. :)

Hey thanks. I plan on shooting pretty much everything, If i have an upgraded phone i would have filled it with pics. every time i leave my house i see things begging me take pictures.
With the info you provided i think i'll a while before getting one.

stuffinabox

Neo Member
Hey guys, first time participating in one of these.

Great stuff from everyone so far.

I'm fairly new at this, picked up my camera (Olympus OMD E-M10) around 6 months ago. So here's a few shots taken over the course of that time:
Mr Fog by najination, on Flickr
Grandfather by najination, on Flickr
Biting the sun by najination, on Flickr
The scout by najination, on Flickr
A heated conversation by najination, on Flickr

I don't have any specific direction yet. At the moment it's just a mix of everything, trying to find out what works best for me. Hopefully getting a decent portrait lens a bit later this year so I can put some focus into that.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores

I don't have any specific direction yet. At the moment it's just a mix of everything, trying to find out what works best for me. Hopefully getting a decent portrait lens a bit later this year so I can put some focus into that.

That macro shot of the ant is great. Good job :)

DJ SLEV3N

Banned

Not a big portrait person per se, but I do like my close up bokeh shots, plus I would like to dive into some macro shots, that's why I'm leaning to the 100mm IS lens.

Hey thanks. I plan on shooting pretty much everything, If i have an upgraded phone i would have filled it with pics. every time i leave my house i see things begging me take pictures.
With the info you provided i think i'll a while before getting one.

Glad I could be of help. Feel free to ask whenever anymore questions arise! :D

Great stuff from everyone so far.

I'm fairly new at this, picked up my camera (Olympus OMD E-M10) around 6 months ago. So here's a few shots taken over the course of that time:
Mr Fog by najination, on Flickr
Grandfather by najination, on Flickr
Biting the sun by najination, on Flickr
The scout by najination, on Flickr
A heated conversation by najination, on Flickr

I LOVE your images!!! Damn good work, my friend. :)

Not a big portrait person per se, but I do like my close up bokeh shots, plus I would like to dive into some macro shots, that's why I'm leaning to the 100mm IS lens.

Getting the 100mm IS vs. the 135mm is one hell of a decision. I have still been on the fence since the 100mm L IS is the only one with full weather sealing, whereas I read that the 135 doesn't have it.

I'm going to post some more images. These ones I took today:

16054259629_7c87c88b06_c.jpg
[/url]DA1 (1 of 1) by astronomicalphotography, on Flickr[/IMG]

My buddy that just started photography. I volunteered to do a headshot (In poor lighting, haha) for him.

15619801744_e59b0bca85_c.jpg
[/url]Jay Color by astronomicalphotography, on Flickr[/IMG]

Did another Self-Portrait (Don't know why, but I love doing them).

16238514291_4e3a367c03_c.jpg
[/url]DA3 (1 of 1) by astronomicalphotography, on Flickr[/IMG]

16240601481_74cd03cc9f_c.jpg
[/url]DA6 (1 of 1) by astronomicalphotography, on Flickr[/IMG]

15620507183_35041150ba_c.jpg
[/url]DA2 (1 of 1) by astronomicalphotography, on Flickr[/IMG]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom