• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF Photography Q1 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.
Testing out the new iPhone camera with a candid shot. Turned out alright, I think.

15654176463_4562d26bf3_b.jpg

DJ SLEV3N

Banned
^ Got any tips for night photography? Did you drive further out to avoid light pollution?

That was actually in my driveway, I live 15 minutes outside my city, I pointed the camera towards the least light polluted area. Definitely made contrast adjustments in Lightroom, as well as black levels to really bring out the light vs dark areas.

Settings:

Shutter: 8 seconds
ISO: 3200
f/2.8
50mm
Manual focus

jchap

Just a quick exposure test of the stars tonight.

I did something similar to try out a wide angle lens I recently got:

My front yard at dusk:

ou80Vz1l.jpg

And a slight zoom in on the great Orion nebula from the above shot:

RKjl7oml.jpg

The funny thing is that the wide-angle picture was shot at F/2.8 and the bottom at F/2

Tomorrow is forecast to be clear and dark and I'll be going after the Crab Nebula and the Cigar galaxy

yayaba

I've really gotten into photography lately. Got myself a Fuji X-M1 for Xmas and a nice fast 23mm 1.4 prime lens along with a 18-135mm 3.5-5.6 telephoto daytime travel lens.

I'm self teaching myself since last month but there's an insane amount to know, it's a little overwhelming.

On the train right now but going to post some shots I've taken recently when I get home :)

Some Q's:

1) Do you guys always shoot in RAW? I'm coming over from P&S land where I always shot in JPG but only now am I starting to read up on the benefits of shooting in RAW. The most daunting part for me though is figuring out how to use Lightroom in order to tweak the image. The amount of options in there is staggering.

2) I treat my prime lens as my low-light / nighttime shot and my wide telephoto lens as my daytime do-everything lens. I figure unless I want very shallow depth of field / bokeh there's no real point using the fast prime lens during bright sunlight. Is that a good way to think about my lenses or am I missing something? The 1.4 lens gets sharpest around f5.6 which is better than the 18-135mm lens which is sharpest around f8.0 but I notice in bright daylight I'm always shooting f9 or higher anyway.

3) What am I missing out on not having a camera with a viewfinder? I find that I can't judge depth of field very well on the LCD when I adjust my aperture but is that something that is vastly easier on a good body with a good viewfinder?

That was actually in my driveway, I live 15 minutes outside my city, I pointed the camera towards the least light polluted area. Definitely made contrast adjustments in Lightroom, as well as black levels to really bring out the light vs dark areas.

Settings:

Shutter: 8 seconds
ISO: 3200
f/2.8
50mm
Manual focus

I did something similar to try out a wide angle lens I recently got:

My front yard at dusk:

Am I supposed to have it overexposed and then adjust it in lightroom from there? How did ya'll get all the blue and purple to appear?

Just went outside and tried a quick shot, but it's awful cloudy here lately from all the rain. No matter where I shot, there were clouds in the way. Not happy with it one bit, but I have no idea what I'm doing lol.

x4RlseJ.jpg

am_dragon

Man you guys live in really dark places. I'm outside of Dallas with some pretty bad light polution. Hopefully when it gets warmer I can get out to a dark site. This is my first attempt at astrophotography with my new telescope. Just a little noise reduction, no crop.

by amesenbrink, on Flickr

jan14 by tylerjacobs, on Flickr

This is outside my office. I see it every day and love how the reflection of the glass gives the scene a unique composition. I've struggled to capture it with my camera however. This is my best shot at it thusfar.

yayaba

Here are some shots from my first two weeks with my Fuji X-M1. First one from the SF Zoo, second and third some street photography around SF.

16064098458_4e78bb4c4e_b.jpg

16225655456_8890d6b1af_b.jpg

16103963558_16e56851ff_b.jpg

Totally in love with the Fuji X mount system... the lenses were expensive but they are some serious nice glass.

grmlin

I've really gotten into photography lately. Got myself a Fuji X-M1 for Xmas and a nice fast 23mm 1.4 prime lens along with a 18-135mm 3.5-5.6 telephoto daytime travel lens.

I'm self teaching myself since last month but there's an insane amount to know, it's a little overwhelming.

On the train right now but going to post some shots I've taken recently when I get home :)

Some Q's:

1) Do you guys always shoot in RAW? I'm coming over from P&S land where I always shot in JPG but only now am I starting to read up on the benefits of shooting in RAW. The most daunting part for me though is figuring out how to use Lightroom in order to tweak the image. The amount of options in there is staggering.

2) I treat my prime lens as my low-light / nighttime shot and my wide telephoto lens as my daytime do-everything lens. I figure unless I want very shallow depth of field / bokeh there's no real point using the fast prime lens during bright sunlight. Is that a good way to think about my lenses or am I missing something? The 1.4 lens gets sharpest around f5.6 which is better than the 18-135mm lens which is sharpest around f8.0 but I notice in bright daylight I'm always shooting f9 or higher anyway.

3) What am I missing out on not having a camera with a viewfinder? I find that I can't judge depth of field very well on the LCD when I adjust my aperture but is that something that is vastly easier on a good body with a good viewfinder?

Fuji are great JPG Machines. Most of the time, they are perfectly fine (much better than the Canon 5d ii I had before). I shoot RAW+JPG though. It's good to know there is a raw to handle extreme situations or do some serious editing.

I use fast primes only right now, and those Fujis are great. I love 35mm for day to day use and the possibilities of the shallow dof with fast lenses, even at bright sunlight. It's a matter of personal taste, I think.

When shooting with the 5D I used a Sony Nex 5n. Great little camera with terrible terrible UI and without a viewfinder. That was a deal breaker. I can't live without one. It feels more natural and comfortable (large lenses with LiveView displays are bad to handle) and I have no problems with sunlight.

DJ SLEV3N

Banned
And a slight zoom in on the great Orion nebula from the above shot:

RKjl7oml.jpg

The funny thing is that the wide-angle picture was shot at F/2.8 and the bottom at F/2

Tomorrow is forecast to be clear and dark and I'll be going after the Crab Nebula and the Cigar galaxy

What was your zoom settings btw? And what lens?

Am I supposed to have it overexposed and then adjust it in lightroom from there? How did ya'll get all the blue and purple to appear?

Just went outside and tried a quick shot, but it's awful cloudy here lately from all the rain. No matter where I shot, there were clouds in the way. Not happy with it one bit, but I have no idea what I'm doing lol.

x4RlseJ.jpg

Yeah you definitely want it a little overexposed from my little experience, then adjust "blacks" in lightroom.

jchap

What was your zoom settings btw? And what lens?

It's an 11" cassegrain telescope with the secondary mirror replaced by a camera lens. It works out to about 560mm focal length in that configuration (F/2). Tonight I'll be using the secondary mirror for a 2800 mm focal length (F/10).

am_dragon

It's an 11" cassegrain telescope with the secondary mirror replaced by a camera lens. It works out to about 560mm focal length in that configuration (F/2). Tonight I'll be using the secondary mirror for a 2800 mm focal length (F/10).

Thanks, very impressive. My wife gave me a Celestron 6se for Christmas. Seems like its kinda bottom end for photography but I was amazed at what I got of the nebula, as mine is f/10. I've really been enjoying the telescope, but the desire to share what I see is pretty strong.

jchap

Thanks, very impressive. My wife gave me a Celestron 6se for Christmas. Seems like its kinda bottom end for photography but I was amazed at what I got of the nebula, as mine is f/10. I've really been enjoying the telescope, but the desire to share what I see is pretty strong.

The real payoff will be the first time you stack several shots and do a little level stretching to see all the detail of the nebula.

Damaged

So great to see plenty of new people in here, I know when I first started posting in here it was kind of intimidating because of the quality of the work people are posting but we are all a nice bunch in here :)

Currently feeling totally uninspired, feel like I need to try and improve my pictures another step but not sure where to start

Edit-192 by nunsofanarchy, on Flickr
Bronica ETRS - 150mm on Kodak Portra 400 home processed in a fuji C41 kit

Edit-149 by nunsofanarchy, on Flickr
Bronica ETRS - 150mm on Kodak TMAX100 home processed in Tmax dev @20c

Edit-168 by nunsofanarchy, on Flickr
Bronica ETRS - 150mm on Kodak Ektar 100 home processed in a fuji C41 kit

Flembot

Neo Member
Got my first proper camera for my 30th Birthday, spent the last 2 years trying to develop my eye and style. any and all criticism/advice is welcome

jchap

Last night was nice and dark, low humidity, decent seeing.... but WINDY!

Of my 4 hours of exposure on bode's nebula and the cigar galaxy only about 1 hour of frames were useable. The result is a noisy mess. I also got in a few hours on the crab nebula but I haven't messed with the results yet. I am not hopeful.

qW6RhTpl.jpg

Also my guidance pickoff put a shadow in the corner of the image but I had no choice as I couldn't find a decent guide star on the top or bottom of the sensor. The composition of the pair is also really difficult to squeeze onto my camera frame. I would like a F/7 reducer in the future but oh well.

Lessons learned. Maybe another time I will fare better. I may look into building some type of wind screen.

Radec

Daaaaaaamn, what. You took that one? That is seriously, seriously good. I mean that could win some serious awards. What is the story behind it?

thanks. Was digging up old photos I took like 2 years ago. Finally got to process it.

My group went to a village where charcoal are being made and there are many kids out there making those stuff.

16276858966_107a3cc897_c.jpg

thanks. Was digging up old photos I took like 2 years ago. Finally got to process it.

My group went to a village where charcoal are being made and there are many kids out there making those stuff.

16276858966_107a3cc897_c.jpg

They are absolutely incredible photos. Might I inquire as to the camera and lenses used?

Does anyone have a good workflow for HDR? I'm dabbling with it for the first time, and my current process is:

- edit raw photos in Camera Raw
- Merge to HDR Pro in Photoshop
- Save 32 bit TIFF
- edit TIFF in Camera Raw

I'm getting mixed results and was looking for tips.

FStop7

Banned

Wow, 2 years? If I'd taken a pic like that I would have a printed copy glued to my forehead with a sign above it that reads "I TOOK THIS PICTURE", LOL. It's really, really, really good.

Sami+

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom