• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF Photography Q1 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man
I've calibrated using the calibration thing within Windows... I just don't understand why I can have something so full of color range within Photoshop, displaying on my monitor and then have the output be so terrible looking on the same monitor right next to the image still open in Photoshop. It's baffling to me.

Sounds like a color space issue. Like you saved it in prophoto and the app your using to open it doesn't support pro photo.

When exporting for the web I always convert to sRGB.

1zNgsZn.jpg

2dWw2Tq.jpg

GwvA6w4.jpg

Ba8iEW1.jpg

Lucis

The last chance for blood moon until 2018. The longest lens I currently have is 70mm.. Well I guess I just have to make do with what I have XD

I'm not all pro like you all but gotta start somewhere. I haven't had the chance to adventure out yet so I've only taken pictures of my pets and stuff around the house. I like this one of my kitty though. I managed to get him to reach up to the door knob and got a nice shot of it.

I'm not all pro like you all but gotta start somewhere. I haven't had the chance to adventure out yet so I've only taken pictures of my pets and stuff around the house. I like this one of my kitty though. I managed to get him to reach up to the door knob and got a nice shot of it.

A cool exercise is to walk around your house and pretend you're new to the environment and pick out what looks interesting, without arranging anything beforehand.

Hello, Photography-GAF. Longtime lurker, first time poster.

I've been out of photography for years, but I decided to jump back in. All I have at the moment is a DSLR with the lens that came with it.

My editing programs of choice is a combination of Photoshop CS6 and Photoshop Lightroom 5, which were what I had before (the latest versions from a few years ago).

Any tips at all on getting back into it? Not sure I want to invest on lenses just yet.

PS: Either my eyes are getting bad, or manual focus is messing with me. I looked through my viewfinder and have the shot I want, then I took the photo and checked, and my damn shot is out of focus. lol

Hey,

Next to your viewfinder, theres a little wheel, with a plus and a minus, that little wheel is used so you can tune the viewfinder to fit your eyes. Its called Dioptric adjustment, yours is off, thats why you take a picture that is, in your eyes, focused, but the picture itself is unfocused.

18-55 is a decent lens to have fun with, if you could invest, i'd suggest the 35mm or 50mm (cheapest option), you can get a knock off Yugno (for Canon) for 40$ and they are decent enough.

Nice, really loving the contrast on these! this on a 35mm roll?
Thanks! Yea, with a Ricoh shot master. Although I need some new P&S film cameras, this one is having some bad light leaks.

I went to the camera store today, one of te dudes there had a TLR Rolleiflex camera but he had already sold it (he was selling it for 100 bucks too). He said he had a Bronica medium format SLR, it looked rather nice, I don't have the money for it atm but man do I want a medium format.

Damaged

Thanks! Yea, with a Ricoh shot master. Although I need some new P&S film cameras, this one is having some bad light leaks.

I went to the camera store today, one of te dudes there had a TLR Rolleiflex camera but he had already sold it (he was selling it for 100 bucks too). He said he had a Bronica medium format SLR, it looked rather nice, I don't have the money for it atm but man do I want a medium format.

I would always recommend Bronica purely because that's been 90% of my experience with medium format, love my ETRS so much. There are a few good choices out there with Bronica but the most popular seem to be the SQ or SQA (6x6 frame) and the ERTS or ETRSi (6x4.5 frame). I went with the ETRS as there seems to be more cheap lenses around and there is a good auto metering viewfinder available which effectively turns it into a big SLR.

I would always recommend Bronica purely because that's been 90% of my experience with medium format, love my ETRS so much. There are a few good choices out there with Bronica but the most popular seem to be the SQ or SQA (6x6 frame) and the ERTS or ETRSi (6x4.5 frame). I went with the ETRS as there seems to be more cheap lenses around and there is a good auto metering viewfinder available which effectively turns it into a big SLR.

Noted. I didn't catch the model type since there was some more customers coming in, but I think it was an ERTS or the S2. I did like the compact size of it.

When I was working with medium format cameras that I got loaned from the Photo lab at my school, I really liked working with a twin lens (Yashica), just because it gave me a different perspective on shooting, and it was a bit more discreet in public. The other was a Mamiya (Forget the model) that I did shoot a few color rolls with, it was a tank of a camera with the wooden handle and all. It was definitely sturdy but I couldn't get images that I really liked from it.

pringles

From a very improvised photosession with a good friend, was fun and I kinda liked how some of the shots turned out.

dhlt25

going through my old pics and found a pretty cool one. Surprisingly it was saved in high quality jpeg despite me being dumb and scale everything down at that time so I had some wiggle room in pts.

one way by dhlt25, on Flickr

Great thread, guys! :)

Hope to contribute soon with my S95 and D90. Is Flickr still a good site to upload an share? I have a 500px account, too.

hEist

just iphone.
need to find time to finally take some photos with the dslr, again. shooting wedding in july and also vacation in Indonesia.

ant btw. just print your pictures guys from time to time. i made 2 books of my kenya and maladives trips and it looks better if you have your pictures in your hand. maybe i will share some pages, when i will have any spare time.

Quick

Banned
Hey,

Next to your viewfinder, theres a little wheel, with a plus and a minus, that little wheel is used so you can tune the viewfinder to fit your eyes. Its called Dioptric adjustment, yours is off, thats why you take a picture that is, in your eyes, focused, but the picture itself is unfocused.

18-55 is a decent lens to have fun with, if you could invest, i'd suggest the 35mm or 50mm (cheapest option), you can get a knock off Yugno (for Canon) for 40$ and they are decent enough.

Thanks for the tip. It's really just getting used to the camera again that got me. Funny enough, I've had this camera for some time, but never really dabbled in its more advanced settings until now. I just got really comfortable with my iPhone camera.

I decided to step out and just take some pictures and I think I got the basics down again. It's all coming back. Sad thing is, I hated most of the pictures I took and scrapped them.

grmlin

I was a little busy lately, but now time management will be even harder. :)

Best, most awesome and craziest thing I ever experienced in my life (for the second time, now)

The light was bad, of course, but I don't care :)

5 minutes by scrollt, on Flickr

Quick

Banned
Snapseed test by simulatron, on Flickr

Trying out the new Snapseed update to edit an old photo instead of VSCO this time. Any feedback on the results? Never actually tried editing like this before lol

Do you edit your photos by transferring them to your phone/tablet using an EyeFi card, or do you transfer them via plugging in to a computer then transferring to your device?

hi gaf photog

what is a rough description of the lighting used to create these picture. I need to photograph my cosplay girlfriend and she wants a super hero poster type look. She is playing green arrow.

This is a sample of her and the costume.
nFamFNj.jpg

I threw this together in about 20 minutes. Kinda rough, but I think it captures the essence.

arrow-3_zpsatl6mr9y.jpg

That looks great. I was looking more for how to set up lights to get the base photo the posters show. Since its for a circus she needs to be doing something related to her circus skills and i am going to do another shoot on monday. Im pretty sure i know where to start but any other advice would be awesome.

brerwolfe

Ah, well in that case it looks like it's a two-light setup on a green screen. One light looks like it's setup 90-degrees on the right, the other is probably 45-degrees behind on the left side of the image.

I DID ALL THAT WORK FOR NOTHING. I'M TAKING THE PHOTO BACK.

But really, if you want the full-res version for any reason I can email it to you (though I'm sure other people in here could do a better job). Lemme know.

jokkir

Do you edit your photos by transferring them to your phone/tablet using an EyeFi card, or do you transfer them via plugging in to a computer then transferring to your device?

I use a lens camera so I just transfer everything via the built in WiFi from the camera straight to my phone. If your camera has a WiFi function, it might be able to do that.

And then i just use whatever camera app

Ah, well in that case it looks like it's a two-light setup on a green screen. One light looks like it's setup 90-degrees on the right, the other is probably 45-degrees behind on the left side of the image.

I DID ALL THAT WORK FOR NOTHING. I'M TAKING THE PHOTO BACK.

But really, if you want the full-res version for any reason I can email it to you (though I'm sure other people in here could do a better job). Lemme know.

the woman who runs the circus did a mock up like yours and it was terrible. Your's really impressed me. Ill be sure to post the raw of my shoot and my edits when i get done with them. Its for acrobatic Infinitii by the way. They havent had great production values on things yet so im hoping to start pushing them in a better direction.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/2108478727/acrobatica-infiniti-circus-circus-and-geek-culture

I was a little busy lately, but now time management will be even harder. :)

Best, most awesome and craziest thing I ever experienced in my life (for the second time, now)

The light was bad, of course, but I don't care :)

5 minutes by scrollt, on Flickr

It's driving me crazy how bad the lighting is on this one.

Dude wtf!? The picture is absolutely beautiful.

Sec0nd

Epic pictures guys. I've been working with some analog photography and I'm in love. I'll post them in the Q2 thread whenever it decides to show up :)

I've calibrated using the calibration thing within Windows... I just don't understand why I can have something so full of color range within Photoshop, displaying on my monitor and then have the output be so terrible looking on the same monitor right next to the image still open in Photoshop. It's baffling to me.

Are you using save for web?

grmlin

It's driving me crazy how bad the lighting is on this one.

Dude wtf!? The picture is absolutely beautiful.

No no, I love the photo, and I'm really surprised how well my Fuji handled the light and all. A delivery room (is this really the correct translation for "Kreißsaal"?) is not meant to be used by photographers, and newborns don't like bright light that much :D

vato_loco

Hey guys! Quick question: NSFW posts are a no-go? Or can they be posted on a SPOILER tag?

Nothing nude, but maybe some underwear.

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man
Hey guys! Quick question: NSFW posts are a no-go? Or can they be posted on a SPOILER tag?

Nothing nude, but maybe some underwear.

Follow the TOS, I know some have posted underwear shots here and elsewhere. Not having seen the shots, follow the TOS.

One poster does nudes and he links them here with NFSW tag to his 500px.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom