• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF Photography Q1 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.

Red

Something a little different. Playing around with a legacy scanner:

scannerfun4wpqp.jpg

Thug Waffle: great stills, any chance the final project will be put online?

Something a little different. Playing around with a legacy scanner:

Thug Waffle: great stills, any chance the final project will be put online?

Thanks, buddy. The final project will be put online eventually. It's still in post now. Send me a PM so I can remember you wanted to see it!

Also, stellar image. Nice work executing something a little, er... different lol

Lakeside Jam by thetmostk, on Flickr

Fëanorian

Neo Member
Been trying some long exposures and I find out that the sensor on the D7100 its soooo dirty. Need to clean that bad boy asap. Also being doing the same long exposures with my old D60.

Same old farm just wanting to get a better water reflection and I think I got it, too bad I didn't have awesome clouds to go with the pictures.

Nikon D7100 (month old, replichrome filter)
Farm long exposure by abrahamsahuayo, on Flickr

Nikon D7100 (VSCO filter)
Farm Long Exposure (VSCO) by abrahamsahuayo, on Flickr

Nikon D60 (Replichrome filter)
Farm Long Exposure D60 by abrahamsahuayo, on Flickr

Nikon D60 getting it done!
D60 in action by abrahamsahuayo, on Flickr

Random stuff
Father by abrahamsahuayo, on Flickr
Doggie! by abrahamsahuayo, on Flickr
Road Reflections by abrahamsahuayo, on Flickr
empty stables by abrahamsahuayo, on Flickr

I haven't purchased a decent camera since the mid-2000s and it wasn't a SLR. After a recent trip to French Polynesia, I feel newly motivated to invest in something. Any recommendations for an amateur photographer? I've been looking at the Canon T5i.

A few random iPhone photos:

img_1282wmuxk.jpg

img_2407bdu9g.jpg

img_2408spuz4.jpg

img_2435h2up5.jpg

img_4003aauub.jpg

img_4717f3umt.jpg

Fëanorian

Neo Member
Nashville - I just wasn't in a mood to walk around area. All pictures are from the same city block.

building one by abrahamsahuayo, on Flickr
building three by abrahamsahuayo, on Flickr
building four by abrahamsahuayo, on Flickr
train station now hotel by abrahamsahuayo, on Flickr
frist entrance by abrahamsahuayo, on Flickr
frist museum by abrahamsahuayo, on Flickr
frist landscape by abrahamsahuayo, on Flickr
mom portrait 2 by abrahamsahuayo, on Flickr
mom portrait 5 by abrahamsahuayo, on Flickr

FStop7

Banned
Nice Vette. One suggestion - turn the front wheels slightly to the left so the full rim is visible to the camera. It makes a real difference.

From the mean streets of Portlandia:

20150309-20150309-m24iiu7c.jpg

20150309-20150309-m24fgucy.jpg

20150311-m2403149-edi3oupu.jpg

20150312-20150312-m24suul6.jpg

Lucis

Didn't know gaf had a photography thread (who I am kidding, what gaf doesn't have a thread of?)

I am getting back into landscape photography.

Spent 4 hours yesterday getting one shot.

Lucis

can i ask how you got this shot? it's oustanding

Sorry I maybe was a bit misleading about the "one shot" comment
I meant "one picture"

the picture is a blend of 5 different shots taking at 3 different exposures. 1 base 1 darker sky and 3 different foreground exposure where water is a bit different from each.

Here are the 3 shot of the 3 different exposures I used, (i am not posting all 3 shot of the foreground coz you won't see too much difference in them).
Base Medium Exposure
9r682ca.jpg

Dark Sky Exposure
Jdd0SJ2.jpg

Foreground exposure
zGm9Jax.jpg

Here's the digital blended result of the 3 shots

and then the final image
I actually came out with 2 versions.
First one is a more temperature correct version (a bit cooler)
8sk90Ki.jpg

Second one is warmer, and a bit more sunset feeling, which is the one i published.
bJL1Pd7.jpg

Hope that answers your questions =)

BumRush

All, first off, I lurk here a lot and your works are BEAUTIFUL. I just bought my wife a Canon EOS D7, and wanted to make sure I got the right storage. It's Compact Flash, correct? Thanks in advance.

Lucis

Any opinions on BW vs. color on this shot?

I think I like BW better myself

That sky. Stunning shot, worth the time for sure.

Thanks.

I think you like the BW photo here because it bring out a bit more contrast in the sky.
if you can make the sky pop a bit more in the colored version, you might like that a bit more.

All, first off, I lurk here a lot and your works are BEAUTIFUL. I just bought my wife a Canon EOS D7, and wanted to make sure I got the right storage. It's Compact Flash, correct? Thanks in advance.

you should prob look at what slot is avail... but wasn't 7D with both CF and SD slots?

jokkir

A little repost

Union Station passengers by simulatron, on Flickr

Submitted that for the /r/photography contest on Reddit and trying my luck with this photo. I put it as street photography and it was probably one of my favourite shots I took in 2014. I don't expect to win anything but I just wanted to share :)

I am trying to set up my Canon EOS M for taking pictures of the nornern lights tonight but I have trouble finding the correct settings. Is there a good site for my camera or do you know what settings I should use?

I cant set my aperture at what is recommended. Mine stops at 4

How do I select infinity focus?

Sorry I maybe was a bit misleading about the "one shot" comment
I meant "one picture"

the picture is a blend of 5 different shots taking at 3 different exposures. 1 base 1 darker sky and 3 different foreground exposure where water is a bit different from each.

Here are the 3 shot of the 3 different exposures I used, (i am not posting all 3 shot of the foreground coz you won't see too much difference in them).

Here's the digital blended result of the 3 shots

and then the final image

Hope that answers your questions =)

How long was the exposure on these?

pringles

Another new one:

Thanks.

I think you like the BW photo here because it bring out a bit more contrast in the sky.
if you can make the sky pop a bit more in the colored version, you might like that a bit more.
Thanks for the input, tried that and I do favor the color version a bit more now.

I am trying to set up my Canon EOS M for taking pictures of the nornern lights tonight but I have trouble finding the correct settings. Is there a good site for my camera or do you know what settings I should use?

I cant set my aperture at what is recommended. Mine stops at 4

How do I select infinity focus?
Not familiar with the camera so can't give specific advice, but f/4 is enough even if it's not optimal. Manual focus is a must so you can set it to infinity (or just before infinity), and a tripod. You'll need to experiment with the settings. Turn up the ISO about as far as you can without getting too much noise, exposure time needs to be anywhere between maybe 1-20 seconds. The longer the exposure time the more 'smeared out' the northern lights will be.

Two example shots of mine:

f/4.0
12mm
5s exposure
6400 ISO

This is a bit higher than I usually want to go on the ISO, resulting in a fairly noisy image. But I wanted to freeze the shape of the aurora.

Compare to an older shot I did:

f/4.0
12mm
20s exposure
800 ISO

Much lower ISO, so the image is cleaner. But instead the exposure time is 4 times as long, resulting in a more smeared out aurora.

Good luck! If the weather is clear I'll probably be trying to get some shots tonight as well.

pringles

Weather is not cooperating so no northern light photos last night. Played around with some light painting instead, fun times.

edit: better luck tonight!

Nice Vette. One suggestion - turn the front wheels slightly to the left so the full rim is visible to the camera. It makes a real difference.

Thanks for the tip, I'll try it when it finally stops raining here and I get a chance to drive around for some more pics.

squarerootofpie

Neo Member
Took a bit of a detour when cycling back from work the other night, as it was way too cloudy to get a picture of the eclipse and I felt bummed out.

Was pretty happy with this shot, will definitely have to go back to find more places like this!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom