• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF Photography Q1 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks for the advice. Would stock lenses be good enough to start with?
Stock lenses are good enough for their convenience (the 16-50mm kit lens makes the a6000 pocketable) but not so much for the image quality. It's good enough to start to know the camera, but you'll probably soon want to explore some prime lens (the Sigmas are very good and cheap) and the fun really starts when you start using full manual lenses (either native or with an adapter).

Does anyone have any online resources or books they really recommend for teaching me the basics and advancing from there?

I highly recommend Tony Northrup's books and videos. Unlike many other photographers I found on the Internet, he does understand all the technical aspects of photography (both on the creative process and more importantly the science behind it) and yet I find them very accessible.

If you do go through with the learning process I'm betting you'll be missing that view finder very quickly...

Ensirius

I highly recommend Tony Northrup's books and videos. Unlike many other photographers I found on the Internet, he does understand all the technical aspects of photography (both on the creative process and more importantly the science behind it) and yet I find them very accessible.

If you do go through with the learning process I'm betting you'll be missing that view finder very quickly...

They also have a YouTube channel where they post a lot of videos and tutorials.

38d4adb6d4b9af520a1e2b3052c02a86

Deep brown eyes by Ignacio Horcada Bernal on 500px

Code:

StuffRuff

They also have a YouTube channel where they post a lot of videos and tutorials.

38d4adb6d4b9af520a1e2b3052c02a86

Deep brown eyes by Ignacio Horcada Bernal on 500px

Code:

Stock lenses are good enough for their convenience

That's great thanks guys! Going to check out Amazon now.

Ref the viewfinder, I knew buying it it was a big disadvantage, but I figure if I start really learning it I'll probably be looking at a better camera anyway. Dont think I will make much of a loss on the A5100 given the price I paid.

brerwolfe

How did you manage to hold the camera steady for that long? XD

I was on a balcony with my butt against a rail and leaning on my right shoulder, pushing up against the sliding door. Then I had my camera pulled hard against my shoulder and underneath my chin. Take a deep breath, press the shutter, and wait.

I took 6 photos in total trying to get nice bright colors with minimal shake. There were a couple where I could feel my heart beating seemingly harder than usual-- the photo had little jumps in the lights and some ghosting in the highway. I felt like this was the best effort.

Stock lenses are good enough for their convenience (the 16-50mm kit lens makes the a6000 pocketable) but not so much for the image quality. It's good enough to start to know the camera, but you'll probably soon want to explore some prime lens (the Sigmas are very good and cheap) and the fun really starts when you start using full manual lenses (either native or with an adapter).
I checked out Sony and they don't have the camera and are not sure when they will (I live in saudi Arabia). From watching bunch of videos and reviews, I think I'll get the Nikon D5300 this weekend once I get my salary.

Even though you weren't talking to me, I thought it should say thanks for the advice. I bought the A6000 as my first real camera so I found this extremely useful. I may start looking at new lenses, hopefully those don't cost too much.

Radec

Even though you weren't talking to me, I thought it should say thanks for the advice. I bought the A6000 as my first real camera so I found this extremely useful. I may start looking at new lenses, hopefully those don't cost too much.

Sell the 16-50 and get the SEL35F18.

That's the only lens you need right now. :)

Unless you're taking landscapes or group shots.

If you don't mind going manual, you can get a lot of older, much cheaper lenses using an Whatever mount to E-mount adapter. It's what I did when I first got my NEX-5. I think it's been a good learning experience.

I took this with an SMC Super Takumar 50mm f1.4 I grabbed off of ebay for like $90, and a $15 M42 screw mount to e-mount adapter.

Toad by tylerjacobs, on Flickr

brerwolfe

You know, you can get items that will do the hand holding for you. :p

I usually travel with my full-sized camera bag that has my monopod attached (and laptop, hard drIves, microphones, GoPros, chargers, lights, etc), but my wife just bought me a sling for my birthday and I wanted to see what it would be like to travel light for once. I loved my newfound mobility, but once I decided I wanted to grab a long-exposure I was kinda bummed that I didn't bring my bigger bag. I fly several times a month for my work and just wanted it to be simple this week.

This is amazing. I'd frame it.

Thanks! That's a great idea, I might do that! We're building a house and have been thinking about framing some of my photos for the new place. I didn't really consider this because I thought L.A. was mostly annoying, but from a photo standpoint I'm pretty happy with the way it came out.

this is outstanding, dude. conveniently you were placed next to the absolute worst highway in the city haha

can't believe you did this handheld

Thanks! I'm not gonna pretend that the focal length didn't play a part in this. The 16mm end of my 16-35L can mask small mistakes much better than a 28mm or 50mm. I love this lens for video and feel comfortable usinflg it handheld despite not having IS just because it's so wide.

Griss

I bought an Olympus DSLR about 6 years ago, when I was clueless. Of course they essentially stopped making them in favour of mirrorless cameras immediately! Still, seeing as 80% of my pics were of birds, that doubling of effective focal length due to the 4/3rds system was incredible, and something I totally lucked into. I loved it. Shot about 30,000 pictures and took it on safari and everything.

Now, though, I want to upgrade because my camera is old, and the autofocus and low-light performance was frankly never acceptable. I don't have a lot of money to spend (rough budget 1,000 dollars, could go higher for serious value) and over the past 6 years if I've learned anything it's that what makes a good picture is the following - the user -> the subject/event -> the lens -> the camera, so that's how I'm approaching this. Also, something without a viewfinder is simply not an option.

So I'm thinking of buying a Nikon D3300, with the 18-55mm kit lens, the 35mm 1.8 prime, and the 70-300mm telephoto (to continue my bird work and for better autofocus than the 55-300mm - I'm sick of shit AF in the wild). I can get all that for about a grand, and the camera itself is probably only worth about 250 of it, so I feel like the spending ratio between camera and lenses is right. I'm going to miss the UI and feel of my Olympus, and having used a 3000 series Nikon I know they feel cheap by comparison, but I'm really desperate to upgrade and you just don't get enough for your money by moving up a class. I'll be losing out on 150mm of reach at the long end and an amazing Macro on my Olympus, but the advantages feel worth it.

Anyway, my question is (apart from what you think of my plan) - what essential accessories would you say I need in this situation, if any? Filter kits, wireless adaptor, extra battery are included. 64GB Professional standard card is a must, obviously. Have a tripod (rarely used, because I'm always hiking/walking and shooting). Anything else? Any reason to hold out for a better model, or choose Canon or someone else? Can't imagine making many videos. Image quality is my goal.

EDIT: I'll try to post some pics after work.

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man
Shit, I would totally love that! I'll definitely do that. :D

Not when the Sun is in its direction. XD
Not as good as your shot, but I wanted to try and get the sun behind effect, unfortunately it was pretty cloudy when I was trying to do this yesterday.
But from right to left, a handle of black label, platinum label and real scotch, by Glenmorangie.

_DSC2641_zpspoktswnf.jpg

Man, I wish I lived somewhere where it snowed. I don't think I've ever seen anything more than a quarter inch or so :/
you really don't.

You know, you can get items that will do the hand holding for you. :p
camera support, never leave home without it.

I bought an Olympus DSLR about 6 years ago, when I was clueless. Of course they essentially stopped making them in favour of mirrorless cameras immediately! Still, seeing as 80% of my pics were of birds, that doubling of effective focal length due to the 4/3rds system was incredible, and something I totally lucked into. I loved it. Shot about 30,000 pictures and took it on safari and everything.

Now, though, I want to upgrade because my camera is old, and the autofocus and low-light performance was frankly never acceptable. I don't have a lot of money to spend (rough budget 1,000 dollars, could go higher for serious value) and over the past 6 years if I've learned anything it's that what makes a good picture is the following - the user -> the subject/event -> the lens -> the camera, so that's how I'm approaching this. Also, something without a viewfinder is simply not an option.

So I'm thinking of buying a Nikon D3300, with the 18-55mm kit lens, the 35mm 1.8 prime, and the 70-300mm telephoto (to continue my bird work and for better autofocus than the 55-300mm - I'm sick of shit AF in the wild). I can get all that for about a grand, and the camera itself is probably only worth about 250 of it, so I feel like the spending ratio between camera and lenses is right. I'm going to miss the UI and feel of my Olympus, and having used a 3000 series Nikon I know they feel cheap by comparison, but I'm really desperate to upgrade and you just don't get enough for your money by moving up a class. I'll be losing out on 150mm of reach at the long end and an amazing Macro on my Olympus, but the advantages feel worth it.

Anyway, my question is (apart from what you think of my plan) - what essential accessories would you say I need in this situation, if any? Filter kits, wireless adaptor, extra battery are included. 64GB Professional standard card is a must, obviously. Have a tripod (rarely used, because I'm always hiking/walking and shooting). Anything else? Any reason to hold out for a better model, or choose Canon or someone else? Can't imagine making many videos. Image quality is my goal.

Hey, you sound like me, I went form Oly to Nikon and I shoot a lot of birds. The one thing ill say is you might want to save up and get the 300mm f4 instead of the 70-300. My friend has it and isn't that impressed with it, especially on high density sensors. You can also add the 1.4 TC to the 300f4 without much of a penalty.

Guiberu

Took some further Macro shots over the weekend. I'm particularly happy with the last shot, as it's focused perfectly and shows the muscle structure of the Iris quite clearly.

My prior Macro shots can be seen here.

I also wanted to cross-post some of the Figma shots I posted in the Action Figure thread. Because I think they're cool :)

guess

Been a while since I've done this kind of photo, but a new lens gets things rolling, I suppose.

Great pictures as always.
Visitied New Zealand in September of last year and if I had not seen those lakes in person, I would not believe the color.

stuffinabox

Neo Member
I really enjoy this shot. Nicely done.

Purchased an old Ricoh GRD III to take with me on a winter climbing trip recently. Wish I had the new GR with me but budget didn't allow unfortunately.

https://flic.kr/p/rimuk6https://www.flickr.com/people/98794646@N03/

Things have been uneventful here so just more bugs and cats...

bug in the night - re edit by najination, on Flickr
Chinny - re edit by najination, on Flickr
Bugs in the night by najination, on Flickr
Mushroom - berg by najination, on Flickr

Wreav

Banned
Currently thinking I made a grave mistake dumping my Canon gear for M4/3 Olympus gear. The Olympus stuff hasn't held its value AT all. In fact, if I wanted to sell my body (E-M5), I'd be lucky to get 20% out of it. Truly depressing.

On the flip side, I've never had such a portable, low profile, consistently good quality set up. I'm not a fan of working with Olympus RAW files for some reason, and in general miss a lot of things about Canons...just not the size.

Rebuying into Canon with at least a used 6D is gonna be pricey, though, and I'm just not sure. I wish I had a cheaper hobby.

A few photos too, since I guess it's a photo thread, after all.

15784406950_b2fe8d7088_c.jpg

15785685699_3a9489eec0_c.jpg

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man
Currently thinking I made a grave mistake dumping my Canon gear for M4/3 Olympus gear. The Olympus stuff hasn't held its value AT all. In fact, if I wanted to sell my body (E-M5), I'd be lucky to get 20% out of it. Truly depressing.

On the flip side, I've never had such a portable, low profile, consistently good quality set up. I'm not a fan of working with Olympus RAW files for some reason, and in general miss a lot of things about Canons...just not the size.

Rebuying into Canon with at least a used 6D is gonna be pricey, though, and I'm just not sure. I wish I had a cheaper hobby.

A few photos too, since I guess it's a photo thread, after all.

https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7571/15784406950_b2fe8d7088_c.jpg[IMG]

[IMG]https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7557/15785685699_3a9489eec0_c.jpg[IIMG][/QUOTE]
Camera gear is not an "investment." Its expensive for sure, but it is by no means an investment. It is in fact the exact opposite of an investment, gear is only going to lose its value, not gain. You probably bought your EM5 new right? It came out at 1k US. You can now buy one brand new from amazon for 600 bucks. The lowest used price I saw was 388, but the rest were in the 400-550 range. Not that bad.

But this is the exact reason I buy used or refurbished. Let someone else eat the initial cost.

Also, switching systems is notoriously expensive.

Wreav

Banned
I sold off my entire Canon lineup for about 80% of what I paid. It's not an investment in the traditional sense, but your yearly costs to use are far lower than Olympus. I agree about equipment though, I usually buy used to avoid eating the big chunk of depreciation. And yes, I was stupid and bought my E-M5 new for like $1300 when it first came out.

Never again.

diaspora

I sold off my entire Canon lineup for about 80% of what I paid. It's not an investment in the traditional sense, but your yearly costs to use are far lower than Olympus. I agree about equipment though, I usually buy used to avoid eating the big chunk of depreciation. And yes, I was stupid and bought my E-M5 new for like $1300 when it first came out.

Never again.

If you do plan on going back to Canon, the 6D is imo the best as far as ergonomics are concerned. Up there right next to the 5D3, so damn comfy in the hand. CR2s are a delight to use with Lightroom too.

Wreav

Banned
Yep, big fan of the 6D (my mom has one). I had the original 5D back in the day, and loved it in hand as well.

One thing I sorely miss on the E-M5 is focusing with my thumb separately from my index finger. While you CAN technically move the focusing button to the back of the E-M5, the button you have to use is so miserably small that it's not worth it.

diaspora

Yep, big fan of the 6D (my mom has one). I had the original 5D back in the day, and loved it in hand as well.

One thing I sorely miss on the E-M5 is focusing with my thumb separately from my index finger. While you CAN technically move the focusing button to the back of the E-M5, the button you have to use is so miserably small that it's not worth it.

Yeah, the ergonomics of the 6D + 40mm pancake + AF-ON + Black Rapid Metro are the GOAT for me, though I can see the appeal of the EM-5. FWIW, as far as staying on topic is concerned, go for whatever you're more comfortable handling.

IMG_0541 by jaypandya2k5, on Flickr
EOS M

I'm looking to buy a new lens, a great walkaround lens.
I have a T5i (which is crop) and currently have the stock lens (18-55mm F3.5-5.6 STM), 50mm 1.8 and a Sigma 17-350mm F3.5-5.6 VC HSM. I'm looking get a great walkaround lens (the 18-70mm 2.2 L is out of my price range) and I'm currently looking at the 24-105 F4 L.

Any opinions on this lens or worthy alternatives?

Wreav

Banned
Give the Tamron 28-75 f/2.8 a look. You'll love having the extra stops, and it's one of the best all purpose 3rd party lenses you can buy for Canon.

diaspora

Give the Tamron 28-75 f/2.8 a look. You'll love having the extra stops, and it's one of the best all purpose 3rd party lenses you can buy for Canon.

This or Tamron's 24-70 f/2.8 which rivals Canon's in sharpness at a much lower cost.

Ty4on

It's much less popular, but there is a thread dedicated to camera gear where you could get more help.

Anyway my two cents are that for AF you could look at Nikons with screw drive focusing which are basically the higher end models. The D7100 is probably too expensive, but the D7000 (from 2010) still has that great 16MP sensor. Screw drive will mean that you can autofocus with older non-AF-S lenses, though it is quite noisy.

I see Tony Northrup had been mentioned at the top of the page and while I haven't read his books I know he is an avid bird photographer. He recommends the Canon 400 f5.6 a lot which is probably a bit too expensive at 1 grand, but compared to other wild life lenses is a steal. There sadly isn't much between it and the 70-300 zooms. 300 f4 primes are also quite expensive.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom