• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF Photography Q3 - 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

Futureman

I think I want to take a portrait photography class.

I print books at my university and I offered to do a photo for the back cover of a law professor's book. I'm happy with the result (though I did have to Photoshop his tie straight...), but I feel like I was just flying by the seat of my pants. Initially I wanted him in the sunlight which is just to his left, but he was squinting too much. I thought it would look too flat having him in the shade, but I'd say it worked well. I usually don't take photos of people like this, so I guess I just need to practice.

cohen.jpg

aidan

Hugo Award Winning Author and Editor
I was in London for the weekend, and didn't get to take as many photos as I'd've liked, but this is the first of the bunch.

5.jpg

What a city!

Photo on 500px

SpyGuy239

Quick question, I like taking landscape and portraits + Bokeh. Getting my first prime lens: Canon 50mm f1.4 or 35m f/2 IS?

Some Panos...

Group1-IMG_9102_IMG_9107-6images.jpg

HohensalzburgCastleFinal.jpg

Group2-IMG_0331_IMG_0357-27images.jpg

Group6-DSC04557_DSC04580-9images.jpg

Group4-IMG_0681_IMG_0685-5images.jpg

Tugatrix

Quick question, I like taking landscape and portraits + Bokeh. Getting my first prime lens: Canon 50mm f1.4 or 35m f/2 IS?

Some Panos...

Cropped Sensor?

35mm is more wider which is much better for landscape but isn't ideal lens. I have a 40mm and I end up doing multiple shots from a landscape and using photoshop to merge all, because the crop sensor make very narrow shots.

Damaged

Cropped Sensor?

35mm is more wider which is much better for landscape but isn't ideal lens. I have a 40mm and I end up doing multiple shots from a landscape and using photoshop to merge all, because the crop sensor make very narrow shots.

I would personally say that 35mm on a crop sensor or 50mm on a full frame is a good all round prime. Personally I think you can do landscapes with any lens, though I tend to either shoot at 10mm or 85mm

This is 85mm for example

Edit-8644 by nunsofanarchy, on Flickr

SpyGuy239

Cropped Sensor?

I would personally say that 35mm on a crop sensor or 50mm on a full frame is a good all round prime. Personally I think you can do landscapes with any lens, though I tend to either shoot at 10mm or 85mm

This is 85mm for example

Edit-8644 by nunsofanarchy, on Flickr

Yeap, Cropped sensor. It's a Canon 70D, just upgraded from a 1000D I got years ago and it is amazing. I love it.

Now I want to try my hands at a Prime lens. Seems like I might spring for that 35mm...makes sense.

Can I ask do you think there will be much difference between f/2 (the 35mm) and f/1.4 (the 50mm) in terms of bokeh? or will the 35mm Bokeh be decent enough?

I suppose the night shots should be fine with f/2 was well?

Thanks guys.

MikeDown

Banned
Spotted Wolf Canyon

Took this going eastbound on I-70 through Utah

converging_peaks_by_getdintegrated-d7w4yft.jpg
I love this soo much! Makes me want to buy a sports car and go cross country.

also here are the first few snippets from a recent hiking trip to Olallie Lake in Oregon
^orignal

The one with the pig would be better if I fixed the depth of field, also anyone got tips and advice on how to do long exposures, cause in a few posts you will see mine are terrible. And criticism is much appreciated.

one of the Maldives. i'm still processing and looking thru.
really love this one, has a lot of personalty to it

Tugatrix

Yeap, Cropped sensor. It's a Canon 70D, just upgraded from a 1000D I got years ago and it is amazing. I love it.

Now I want to try my hands at a Prime lens. Seems like I might spring for that 35mm...makes sense.

Can I ask do you think there will be much difference between f/2 (the 35mm) and f/1.4 (the 50mm) in terms of bokeh? or will the 35mm Bokeh be decent enough?

I suppose the night shots should be fine with f/2 was well?

Thanks guys.

Well the difference is notable, but not that much I find my 40mm 2.8 quite usable in low light, with a 2.0 you'll be fine.

_MG_3402.jpg by NLopes16, on Flickr

_MG_3401.jpg by NLopes16, on Flickr

_MG_3399.jpg by NLopes16, on Flickr

_MG_3396.jpg by NLopes16, on Flickr

_MG_3388.jpg by NLopes16, on Flickr

_MG_3383.jpg by NLopes16, on Flickr

jokkir

I'm trying to join some kind of photography contest for an event happening in my city. What are good tips on recording street performers and crowds? The most I took were crowd images but they don't really look too good. Would it be a good idea to try and narrow down the image and not get as many people?

I'm trying to join some kind of photography contest for an event happening in my city. What are good tips on recording street performers and crowds? The most I took were crowd images but they don't really look too good. Would it be a good idea to try and narrow down the image and not get as many people?

Crowd shots are super hard to nail, it's doable depending on the context but it's much easier to find an interesting individual, especially when it comes to shows.

hEist

Hey guys
I just want to share a few of my shots here

Hope you guys like them

More photos here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/kashiyuka/

great work!

From a recent trip to Kenya:

I really wish I had a better lens, the one I had wasn't the best choice for wildlife photography.

yeah, i know this feeling. Thought the same after my kenya trip last year, just wished a decent 80-200 2.8 for this trip.

one of the Maldives. i'm still processing and looking thru.

jokkir

Crowd shots are super hard to nail, it's doable depending on the context but it's much easier to find an interesting individual, especially when it comes to shows.

I'll try that! I was thinking about staying close to night then taking pictures of the fire handlers but not sure I'll be out that late today. Oh well, I'll see what I can do this afternoon
3AQmK.gif

Really love this,
great photo where was this taken?

thanks. it was taken by millenium park in chicago, il. they have this little public square with a bunch of fountains in the tiles that spew water during the summer. kids play around in it. i wish i knew how to explain the giant asian dude, though. i think it's some kind of art piece.

jchap

Finally got a fairly clear night last night. Got some good shots of comet Jacques but I'm not done with the processing on them. While I was waiting for the comet to rise in the sky I took a shot of the heart nebula:

Th7GQjxl.jpg

pringles

Hey guys
I just want to share a few of my shots here
Amazing. Love your style, added you on flickr.

Been trying some panoramas lately, I really need a better tripod as mine is pretty bad for these types of shots. But I was happy with how this turned out, taken very early this morning and stitched together from 30+ shots:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom