• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF Running Club |OT| - Couch to Marathons, All abilities

panda-zebra

For cold weather half-marathons I try and endure being uncomfortable just prior to the start of the race

Do that, use a foil blanket or plastic mac or whatever to keep warm before the off and dump it. 10 minutes later you'll be glad you've not got a jacket to pull off and carry.

If that doesn't appeal, there's very light jackets that fold away into a tiny pouch, some have elastic to wear around the waist. I've only used mine for slower training, but races have never been around freezing.

Jintor

I just got some playtronic fit beats and... I don't like the hearing fit at all. I'll give it one or two runs before return and replace with some Sony's I guess

Do that, use a foil blanket or plastic mac or whatever to keep warm before the off and dump it. 10 minutes later you'll be glad you've not got a jacket to pull off and carry.

If that doesn't appeal, there's very light jackets that fold away into a tiny pouch, some have elastic to wear around the waist. I've only used mine for slower training, but races have never been around freezing.

Yup, trash bags are the GOAT for keeping warm before a race.

Goodlife

Trainers.....

My wife is a bit of a runner and a big gym bunny (as in classes in the gym, circuits, group fight etc etc etc)

She's had her running trainers for a couple of years now and they are coming to end of life, so she's going to replace them.

She's wondering if it's worth (for longevity of these new pairs) it's worth getting a decent pair of running trainers, for, well, running, and then a cheap pair for gym.

Seems to make sense to me, don't suppose you need that level of support / comfort for gym work.... but anyone else have any opinions?

ruxtpin

Banned
Got the Philadelphia Broadstreet Run coming up this Sunday. 10 miler from north Philly down to south. Been a while since I've done a big road race, but I'm looking forward to it.

Trainers.....

My wife is a bit of a runner and a big gym bunny (as in classes in the gym, circuits, group fight etc etc etc)

She's had her running trainers for a couple of years now and they are coming to end of life, so she's going to replace them.

She's wondering if it's worth (for longevity of these new pairs) it's worth getting a decent pair of running trainers, for, well, running, and then a cheap pair for gym.

Seems to make sense to me, don't suppose you need that level of support / comfort for gym work.... but anyone else have any opinions?

Yes I would get a separate pair of trainers. Running shoes are normally much more expensive than trainers and using your running shoes in the gym will wear them out much faster.

No, they were custom-made insoles to compensate for my flat-footedness.

Ah okay. There's a brand sold on Amazon/running stores I used for a bit. The brand was called SuperFeet. They should have a "flat foot" version. I was use the high arch version for a while.

panda-zebra

Already thinking about another in October, now the next question is, how do I train and prepare for the final 6 miles ? Do I actually increase the long run distances in my training plan ? Do 22 or even 23 miles as my longest runs ?

Hesitant to reply as I have so little experience, but what I did worked for me, so with that massive disclaimer...

Some of these plans seem more like a quick solution to get your over the line one-and-done rather than preparing you to be able to put out your best performance.

A friend's plan had her only run to 18 or 20 miles before tapering. How do you find out how fuelling and pacing works for you if you never get to experience it 'cause you're out plodding a max of 18 miles?

I gave up on my first marathon plan as it didn't fit around my life and became frustrating. That race was only a box check anyway, injured and suffered afterwards. After that though, I decided to do my own thing. From about 4 months out, I tried to get out and active for periods of time that would be similar to running a marathon and eating/having gels and electrolyte drinks throughout. One day I'd do something a little pacy for an hour, meet with friends and plod for another, and then go on and do a bit more myself for an hour. Other days I'd walk the dog over hilly terrain for a couple of hours and then go run a 10k or half. Other days I'd run long as slow as possible or I'd just set out to run comfortable for 3 hours solid. But whatever it was, make sure I was having the same electrolyte drinks, gels, medjool dates and bananas to keep me fired. Also add some cross training days with cycling and a lot of low-effort rowing machine at home, and the odd bit of parkrun or random speedwork if it felt boring always plodding.

tl;dr I think you have to experience the wall and find how to work past it in training, if that means running 25 miles sometimes, so be it. Don't start 12 weeks out with some 20 miles-max plan that will leave you in unknown territory on mile 22, start 20 weeks out and make something that you feel good about yourself, and if that means entering a few small/local marathons along the way and running them really easy, probably not a bad thing.

alternative: enter ultras instead. My brother does these. There's zero pressure. You're expected to walk unless you're the elite. Make a nice goodie bag, go for a jog, eat a lot, walk up some lovely hills. 8 hours later: medal get :)

satriales

Trainers.....

If you want to save money on running shoes just buy last years model as they usually about half price and don't differ drastically year to year.

Zoe

Yes I would get a separate pair of trainers. Running shoes are normally much more expensive than trainers and using your running shoes in the gym will wear them out much faster.

That's what I was about to say. Plus, I've found a lot of my running shoes don't really grip the floor well enough for the kind of aerobic stuff you would do in group exercise.

Lorcain

That's what I was about to say. Plus, I've found a lot of my running shoes don't really grip the floor well enough for the kind of aerobic stuff you would do in group exercise.
Yup, road running shoes are not really designed for that kind of lateral movement and abuse. In fact, they may cause injuries from the lack of support...or the shoes will start falling apart. Most trail running shoes have good support for side to side movement, but they're expensive, have traction lugs, and would be overkill for gym/aerobic workouts.

I usually have a rotation of 2 road shoes, 1-2 trail shoes, and 1 cross trainer. Running shoes are crazy expensive, so I completely agree with buying previous year versions off Amazon. A good pair of cross trainers that fit well and provide good support make a big difference.

Yup, road running shoes are not really designed for that kind of lateral movement and abuse. In fact, they may cause injuries from the lack of support...or the shoes will start falling apart. Most trail running shoes have good support for side to side movement, but they're expensive, have traction lugs, and would be overkill for gym/aerobic workouts.

I usually have a rotation of 2 road shoes, 1-2 trail shoes, and 1 cross trainer. Running shoes are crazy expensive, so I completely agree with buying previous year versions off Amazon. A good pair of cross trainers that fit well and provide good support make a big difference.

Personally, I use older pair of Hoka One One trail shoes with heavy cushioning for most of my gym workouts as while they're still in good/decent condition, their heavy running days are longggggggg behind them.

My allergies have decided that the days before a half marathon would be a great time to act up :(. Setting my expectations low for Sunday between that and the fact that this training has not been all it could have been. At least the weather should be good.

Sometimes I'll just wear an old sweatshirt or something that I was going to get rid of anyway. Race volunteers will usually pick up discarded items thereafter.

My allergies have decided that the days before a half marathon would be a great time to act up :(. Setting my expectations low for Sunday between that and the fact that this training has not been all it could have been. At least the weather should be good.

Ha, I feel you on that. My allergies started acting up a few days before my last half in March so I ended up going out conservatively. And trust me when I say that I get killer spring allergies (they often leaving me feeling like I want to curl up into a ball and die lol). In retrospect, I still had a lot more energy to give out so I negative splitting the final few miles and ended up with lots left in my tank and underperformed as a result.

So I guess what I'm saying is, even with allergies you won't really know you'll feel on race day so just go out there and enjoy it and try not to think of it.

Goodlife

Any UK gaffers doing the Bristol 10k on Sunday? Looks like a big event.

Was hoping to go for a pb, haven't been able to train because of my foot, so running it with my wife. Should be good fun

panda-zebra

Was hoping to go for a pb, haven't been able to train because of my foot, so running it with my wife. Should be good fun

I'm doing Liverpool Spring 10K, 4,000 runners easily the biggest 10K I've run. Potentially fast, looks flat enough but a bit winding with a switchback.

kottila

ran a slow 6min/km pace for an easy post-fever recovery. Just need to double the pace (and then some) to break 2 hours. Sound easy

The Real Bobble

Neo Member

Yep! My first race. Was hoping do it in 50 but not sure I can do that now given that Runkeeper thinks that the course is 10.5k (based on what my wife did last last year). Oh well still looking forward to it!

Kipchoge's marathon attempt was absolutely incredible. The other two runners even with the same benefits couldn't match the pace for even half the race and he came so close to nearly doing the entire thing. I'm pretty sure if I put the pace he ran into the treadmill I would fall off after a few seconds.

Only annoying thing was the constant Nike adverts about their shoes and science but I think Kipchoge proved it was entirely down to him rather than them.

kottila

Kipchoge's marathon attempt was absolutely incredible. The other two runners even with the same benefits couldn't match the pace for even half the race and he came so close to nearly doing the entire thing. I'm pretty sure if I put the pace he ran into the treadmill I would fall off after a few seconds.

Only annoying thing was the constant Nike adverts about their shoes and science but I think Kipchoge proved it was entirely down to him rather than them.

how did he prove that the shoes didn't give him an unfair advantage and that he didn't save energy by drafting? It was a great effort, but in the end meaningless (for me). Hopefully he'll run a real marathon soon

how did he prove that the shoes didn't give him an unfair advantage and that he didn't save energy by drafting? It was a great effort, but in the end meaningless (for me). Hopefully he'll run a real marathon soon

Like I said the other two runners also attempting it couldn't even make it to the half-way point before they dropped off and they had the same shoes, drafting and hydration benefits. I'm sure they helped shave off maybe a minute ultimately but it is still an incredible run. Of the marathons he has entered he has won 6 and came second in one and that is it, he is without peer when it comes to that distance. Hopefully he runs in Berlin in September and sets the World Record.

Well I ran my 10 mile race a bit faster than I thought. Ended up averaging about a 8'35 mile which isn't bad considering it got hot and I ran a PR for the half 2 weeks ago. Not quite as fast as the breaking2 attempt. :)

tmarg

The whole point was to show that the shoes did give an unfair advantage, Nike wants to sell $250 running shoes.

It's still an impressive effort, regardless.

lol ran my 3rd 5k in the span of four weeks and blew up in combination with yesterday's 8 miler at mile 1.5. Was an interesting experiment to see what would happen if I continually dipped into my well during track season and now I know 😂

Still, two consecutive PRs within the span and was hoping for a third, along with an official sub 24 time, but I'll take my recent improvements! Next race will be a 5 miler in about a month so hopefully I'll be better recovered by then.

Goodlife

Yep! My first race. Was hoping do it in 50 but not sure I can do that now given that Runkeeper thinks that the course is 10.5k (based on what my wife did last last year). Oh well still looking forward to it!
How did you do after?

Really run event, great atmosphere most of the way round.
Paced my wife to another pb, so she's chuffed (knocked nearly a minute off her time).
Great morning all round

Hey, RunningGAF, I was looking into getting back into running and shape. It has been awhile since I exercised often. So I took a quick look at the first post already but is there any suggestions for me to slowly and effectively get back into running? I have been trying to run 10-15 mins every other day to build up my stamina again.

lol ran my 3rd 5k in the span of four weeks and blew up in combination with yesterday's 8 miler at mile 1.5. Was an interesting experiment to see what would happen if I continually dipped into my well during track season and now I know 😂

Still, two consecutive PRs within the span and was hoping for a third, along with an official sub 24 time, but I'll take my recent improvements! Next race will be a 5 miler in about a month so hopefully I'll be better recovered by then.

Yeah make sure you are recovering or you will stall. Good job on the PR's.

Hey, RunningGAF, I was looking into getting back into running and shape. It has been awhile since I exercised often. So I took a quick look at the first post already but is there any suggestions for me to slowly and effectively get back into running? I have been trying to run 10-15 mins every other day to build up my stamina again.

I'd try to get to at least 30 minutes. You can do this with a combination of run/walking intervals. Look for a couch to 5k program. If the first week is too easy skip a week or two depending on your current fitness level.

Yeah make sure you are recovering or you will stall. Good job on the PR's.

Totally. Right at the middle of the 5k I knew I had spent all my extra energy reserves over the past month in an "OH SHIT" moment. It required a totally concentrated effort just to make sure I kept my 5k pace under 8:00/mile.

When I think about it, I likely did the same thing during marathon training last year which may or may not have led to total quad failure during miles 18-26 of the actual marathon. Raced about three times during my taper period, setting 2x 10k PRs in the process but may have peaked way too early.

Ah well live and learn lol.

Salamando

First Half-Marathon completed! Weather forecast for the entire week was 40's with showers. What we got was perfect weather. Cold at the starting line with the sun coming out to play around mile 5. Thanks to whoever suggested the Patagonia Houdini jacket! Being able to fold it into its own pocket during a walk cycle was a major help!

Completed two of my goals - finish at all, and finish in under 2:45. With some better training, I know I can get sub-2:30. Namely...

- Shin splints prevented me from doing any long-distance runs for three months beforehand. Would've like more training past 5 miles.

- Using the provided energy gels at the 9(?) mile mark was a bad idea. Didn't train with them, gave me gas afterwards. Like, if I run at all, my gut hurts levels of gas. Ended up having to walk the last 3 miles or so.

Definitely try a couch-to-5K program, like this one.

My advice is to pick 3 times a week you'll go walking / jogging for about 30 minutes. Running every other day, even for 10 minutes, when you've been mostly sedentary for a relatively long time might be a bit much for your joints and muscles, not to mention that it's a pretty big change of habit and rhythm (although if it's in line with your 'active' period, maybe it's easier for you to slip back into.)

I'd personally go for quality over quantity for a month or so - longer periods of activity (like, say, 10 minutes walking - 10 minutes running - 10 minutes walking) with more downtime in between the three designated training days (that you vow to never skip.) You can gradually extent that 10 minutes running as you get back into form - or, on a bad day, just skip the running and walk another 10 minutes for 30 minutes total. Don't worry about pace, just make sure you're not panting and able to sing/talk/speak in tongues as you run. You may feel you're being too easy on yourself but those miles at easy pace are going to add up fast and pay dividends. If you want to get more out of your rest days, try spending more time on your feet (e.g. when having breakfast, gaming etc.) but make sure your body has some time to grow in between the 30 minute activity spurts.

A lot of starter programs, like Couch-2-5K, work along these lines albeit with better structure. But right now, getting into a sustainable habit with a strong training base is more important than completing a program.

I have a half marathon at the end of the month. Figure the distance won't be an issue since I'm running longer distances multiple times a week (10-15kmish). Are gels/food actually necessary for a half marathon? Can water be enough during a race? I did 17km on the weekend without needing to eat anything (until after) but I've never done a longer distance than that so maybe something changes in the next 4kms?

Hoping to do the race in around 1:40 for reference.

I have a half marathon at the end of the month. Figure the distance won't be an issue since I'm running longer distances multiple times a week (10-15kmish). Are gels/food actually necessary for a half marathon? Can water be enough during a race? I did 17km on the weekend without needing to eat anything (until after) but I've never done a longer distance than that so maybe something changes in the next 4kms?

Where your typical time for reference? Also, is this your first half? I would bring some gels/food, just in case, but don't think you need them since you haven't been practicing with them.

Completely off-topic, but I'm pretty sure yesterday's subpar performance in my 5k was due to fatigue. Woke up this morning and it feels like I freaking ran a half yesterday. Fun stuff. Need to treat this week as a recovery week :x.

Everyone is different but I'd say you definitely don't need food for 100 minutes of running, gels is a personal preference. I can do a half without water or gels (I actually did one yesterday training on my own without anything) but I'd do a slower time and wouldn't really want to do that. My approach is to run with a drink and sip every mile and at about the 10k point have a gel. So I'd definitely take water and a gel if you're used to using them.

Where your typical time for reference? Also, is this your first half? I would bring some gels/food, just in case, but don't think you need them since you haven't been practicing with them.

Completely off-topic, but I'm pretty sure yesterday's subpar performance in my 5k was due to fatigue. Woke up this morning and it feels like I freaking ran a half yesterday. Fun stuff. Need to treat this week as a recovery week :x.
Typically on a longer run I'm around 4:30 per km which I would be happy to stick with but knowing how I've gone at parkruns, my pace will probably get pushed up from those around me.

Need to post more but have been running what almost seems like a race a month (Red_Taiyaki can attest to this since we do these races together).

What's been sucking for me was I seemed to have sustained an IT band injury around the end of February/early March so been slowly working my way back to full strength while also working on speed, thanks to our recent track workouts.

Progress is slow going but after continuing to shave time off my time with each race has been encouraging.

Need to post more but have been running what almost seems like a race a month (Red_Taiyaki can attest to this since we do these races together).

I don't know what you're talking about. We freaking ran 3x races in the past month alone! (Which I totally need to stop doing or at least not take all of them seriously as PR opportunities; I think this was a major part of how I shamoo'd last year and got injured for 3-4 months.)

I don't know what you're talking about. We freaking ran 3x races in the past month alone! (Which I totally need to stop doing or at least not take all of them seriously as PR opportunities; I think this was a major part of how I shamoo'd last year and got injured for 3-4 months.)

You're the one who totally decided to shamoo at Devil Mountain 🙃. Not my fault I have fun with these and you wanted to try to PR.

Granted, you didn't run with a fever like Coach Francisco did, so obviously testosterone didn't completely fuel your ideas.

First Half-Marathon completed! Weather forecast for the entire week was 40's with showers. What we got was perfect weather. Cold at the starting line with the sun coming out to play around mile 5. Thanks to whoever suggested the Patagonia Houdini jacket! Being able to fold it into its own pocket during a walk cycle was a major help!

Completed two of my goals - finish at all, and finish in under 2:45. With some better training, I know I can get sub-2:30. Namely...

- Shin splints prevented me from doing any long-distance runs for three months beforehand. Would've like more training past 5 miles.

- Using the provided energy gels at the 9(?) mile mark was a bad idea. Didn't train with them, gave me gas afterwards. Like, if I run at all, my gut hurts levels of gas. Ended up having to walk the last 3 miles or so.

I am both glad my jacket suggestion helped and frustrated you did not listen to me about not trying anything new the day of race! :p Congrats on your finish! You can help yourself by getting a variety pack off amazon and seeing what works for you in terms of fueling. You probably consumed a cliff shot right? Some other choices include Cliff blocks, jelly belly energy jelly beans, and even natural stuff like M&M's or nuts. Let me know if you need more help.

You're going to perform less optimally if you don't fuel during the race. Since you have a little time I suggest swinging by a store and picking up 2-3 different kinds of energy fuels (I listed some above). Go out on a run and try them out, then judge their performance. Whatever works best buy a box and keep training with it during the race (follow the instructions. For cliff shots I take 1 15 minutes before my race, then about every hour of running). As for water, the best advice I can give is drink before you are thirsty. Also drink more if it's warm. I usually skip the first water station but def. don't skip the second.

Ran track practice earlier this morning before work and accidentally set my 1/2mi PR at 3:06 along with my 1k PR @ 3:56. Now, we were originally supposed to only do 3x 1000m at a relatively comfortable hard pace so I went out with what my body felt like running with without feeling like I was all-out sprinting or doing a mile.

Interestingly enough, I also lost track of how many laps I did on my last Interal and ended up running an extra 1.5 laps at a sub-7 pace without feeling dead.

I guess I'm just saying that these emotional peaks and valleys in running are amaze-balls lol. After Sunday's 5k disaster, I felt like I took two steps back and now today I go out and run multiple PRs during practice when I didn't mean to haha. I suppose the running Gods do giveth and taketh at their leisure.

Lorcain

I've found that I feel better running that distance if I use a GU Roctane just before the run (with some water). If it's not really hot on race day, I'll typically go 6 miles before I stop at an aid station for electrolytes, and then I'm off again. If it's an especially difficult trail run, or it's hot, I'll stop around 4 miles for electrolytes, and keep hydrated.

I didn't need to do that in my 20's. I could just brute force through a race and not worry about nutrition or hydration. I have to worry about that now :) And don't get me started on all of the stretching I have to do now. Good lord.

I would say try some nutrition on a training run at full distance and see how you feel. Good luck going for 1:40. I'd be very happy with that time now. I'm geeked when I can stay under 2 for a road run.

The Real Bobble

Neo Member
How did you do after?

Really run event, great atmosphere most of the way round.
Paced my wife to another pb, so she's chuffed (knocked nearly a minute off her time).
Great morning all round

It was definitely loads of fun! I managed to do it in 50:11. Bit annoyed about the 11 seconds but all in all it went well.
Just signed up for the Bristol half marathon in September so it looks like I've properly caught the bug!

Another 10K race in north London, the first real sunny day of May, on Wed. 10th May.
It was a more challenging course with two small but significant hills, and four laps ugh around the park.

I managed a time of 55:10, so I didn't beat the previous month's time of 54:24 my PB to date.
I'm quite pleased that I have the ability to do 55 min 10Ks, and will def aim to keep those goals small and aim to get sub 54 mins next race.
Considering I struggled to get below 60 mins for a usual 10K run probably a year ago, feels like real progress ^_^

I will be visiting LA for a spell for work, I saw there's a Santa Monica race coming up for the 4th June and a curious 15K distance. Since I really wanted to do a 10 mile this year, this can be a little training for that?
Is anyone on Running GAF in that part of California, wanna meet up?

So, I guess I can start posting in this thread. I have never, ever been able to run. I don't know why. Either my lungs or my legs would give out on me after about a minute or two. Mostly shin splints, but I felt I could never get enough oxygen. I'd run for maybe 90 seconds and be sucking wind. I tried to adjust my gait to reduce the shin splints and it worked, until I was sidelined with plantar fascitis. My legs are unusually defined and thick for someone who doesn't lift.

I resolved this year to get in better shape, and for the first four months I have been doing upper body workouts and walking. This week I decided I was ready to start mixing some running in. Well, jogging pace. I did two and a half minutes on Tuesday, and two five minute periods this morning. Felt freaking awesome, I haven't done two minutes of sustained running in fifteen years.

I've been wanting to do a 5K for a few years, and this might finally be the year.

Top Bottom