• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF Throwback: Aloy looks a little off.......

Croatoan

They/Them A-10 Warthog
Another thing to add to this. Aloy doesn't wear makeup (which makes sense given the setting). Go look at pictures of Scarlett Johansson without makeup. Aloy aint doing that bad, all things considered (still odd looking).

Edit: Found it.

9cee7413030fd5d4e2bcbe3e670dbbc9.jpg

As my wife puts it, "makeup is magic". There are very few women we would still consider a 9 or a 10 without makeup on. Our entire viewpoint of women's looks is skewed by beauty products.

Even NuLara has eye shadow on. How she keeps it from running is also magic...lol.
2023.jpg

Last edited:

Kholinar

Banned
Jesus fuck, this thread is legitimately disgusting. The forced beauty standards are making me puke; it was the same ordeal as with Returnal. Just because the protagonist isn't your run-of-the-mill slut clad in spandex doesn't mean her standing as a character should suffer in any way shape or form. There are more pressing and important methods for a character to endear themselves to the player, the most prominent being the quality of writing. Are you guys weeping over the fact that Aloy doesn't meet your inequitable standards of beauty because your fear the lack of coom material on rule34? Grow the fuck up. She looks absolutely fine, and picking out the most uncharitable of frames to denigrate her doesn't serve your concerns at all. The funny thing is, I never saw any complaints about Ghost of Tsushima's Jin Sakai failing to fulfill the pretty boy aesthetic, but when it concerns a female, it suddenly becomes an issue.🤦‍♂️

Jesus fuck, this thread is legitimately disgusting. The forced beauty standards are making me puke; it was the same ordeal as with Returnal. Just because the protagonist isn't your run-of-the-mill slut clad in spandex doesn't mean her standing as a character should suffer in any way shape or form. There are more pressing and important methods for a character to endear themselves to the player, the most prominent being the quality of writing. Are you guys weeping over the fact that Aloy doesn't meet your inequitable standards of beauty because your fear the lack of coom material on rule34? Grow the fuck up. She looks absolutely fine, and picking out the most uncharitable of frames to denigrate her doesn't serve your concerns at all. The funny thing is, I never saw any complaints about Ghost of Tsushima's Jin Sakai failing to fulfill the pretty boy aesthetic, but when it concerns a female, it suddenly becomes an issue.🤦‍♂️
Wrong site?

Sinthor

Gold Member
Dude, it's a discussion thread...not a huge deal. People are legitimately questioning why the character seems less attractive feature-wise than the actress the character is modeled after. Besides, this is entertainment and people can like what they want. They don't need you telling them what to think or what you think of them. Nice harsh attitude, but it just isn't needed. Plus, nobody is being crass and like measuring bust sizes and comparing ass photos or anything. Just chill.

Maybe take the white knight act elsewhere? :messenger_winking:

Axonometri

I'll like what I like, thank you. You can't force me to not be a normal male. Also, putting Jesus and the F word in the same line as legitemately digusting is one hell of a doozy.

cormack12

Gold Member
Nah, her face is definitely swollen in the second game. Looks unpleasant.

It actually reminds me of the difference between Sarah Hyland when she looks well and when she has the bouts of kidney dysplasia

4D88A49D00000578-0-image-a-83_1529693845887.jpg

"I don't mind when you say that I look pregnant. Or fat. Because I know that my face is swollen from medication that is saving my life," she said, in reference to being on prednisone, a corticosteroid used to suppress the immune system and reduce inflammation and swelling, according to the National Institutes of Health.

Jin Sakai showed booty

Ghost-of-Tsushima_20200718125657.jpg

He gets a pass.

Last edited:

stripes lighten GIF

Arcadialane

618DsF9.png

Mostly my region, Dhofar, covering fauna and flora and some geological/historical stuff ;) If you ever come here let me know.

I always wanted to visit Oman so i will definitely go after the Pandemic is over, i just hope i don't break my neck while climbing one of these places in your videos:messenger_grinning_sweat:

Kholinar

Banned
Dude, it's a discussion thread...not a huge deal. People are legitimately questioning why the character seems less attractive feature-wise than the actress the character is modeled after.
Maybe because the motion capture technology isn't perfect, and the facial capture actress differs from her actual voice actress? Even Insomniac didn't get Bubniak's facial capture perfect. Instead of grabbing the pitchfork and assaulting Guerilla because of some fabricated Western assault on beauty, consider other options?
Maybe take the white knight act elsewhere? :messenger_winking:
Ah, so when confronted with a contrasting perspective, your natural response is to tell me to 'go elsewhere' instead of promoting dialogue and engaging in discussion. If you're so partial to stifling debate, why not go to ERA? They seem more up your ilk...
I'll like what I like, thank you. You can't force me to not be a normal male. Also, putting Jesus and the F word in the same line as legitemately digusting is one hell of a doozy.
So, what does being a normal male entail? Degrading women when they disappoint your standards? Treating a video game like it's fucking Miss America? So the protagonist doesn't attract you, boohoo.
This sounds really hot, do you have any examples?
Look at any JRPG. The men are kitted out in the most outlandish armors while the females are lucky to have a single strand of fabric to ward against attack. It's cringe.

Last edited:
I don’t understand why Developers pay these great looking models, then scan them and beat their digitized image with an ugly stick. If they don’t care just get somebody in the studio to do it that’s already on the payroll, the voice actors are different in a lot of cases anyway.

For all Kojima’s faults when he pays a model to be in his game, the model in the game looks like the actor, which makes sense to me.
Seems to be a pretty obvious artistic choice that varies between developer's. A lot of developers want to create totally unique characters while having the animation quality of motion capture, this results in things like tlou2 and HFW, where faces and animations look great but also a little chunky and off because they are essentially using a digital mask to cover the actors faces while using the animation of the actors themselves.

With DS the actors themselves were a huge selling point of the game and thier names were highlighted and credited in almost every trailer. I also agree that the models looks much better for it, Sam Bridges is the highest quality playable character in gaming as far as I'm concerned.

Of you can take the dmc5 approach; separate the character and thier visual representation, meaning hire a actor/model to create a perfect in game model and facial animations. Then use a voice actor to add the charisma/personality etc.

All about priorities and what outcomes you are aiming for. This approach seems fine for a game that is visually less realistic/more gamey than a Death Stranding.

Hey bro I'd fuck her too and I'll absolutely buy the game day 1, but she kinda got an egg head my dude

Sinthor

Gold Member
Maybe because the motion capture technology isn't perfect, and the facial capture actress differs from her actual voice actress? Even Insomniac didn't get Bubniak's facial capture perfect. Instead of grabbing the pitchfork and assaulting Guerilla because of some fabricated Western assault on beauty, consider other options?

Ah, so when confronted with a contrasting perspective, your natural response is to tell me to 'go elsewhere' instead of promoting dialogue and engaging in discussion. If you're so partial to stifling debate, why not go to ERA? They seem more up your ilk...

So, what does being a normal male entail? Degrading women when they disappoint your standards? Treating a video game like it's fucking Miss America? So the protagonist doesn't attract you, boohoo.

Look at any JRPG. The men are kitted out in the most outlandish armors while the females are lucky to have a single strand of fabric to ward against attack. It's cringe.
No, man, just saying to chill with the white knight routine. Nobody was being crass about this (that I saw) and it's just entertainment anyway. Opinions vary. I tend to agree with you about the facial capture animation by the way....it's just that the earlier and you would think less advanced capture in the original Horizon looked closer to the actual actresses face than this one does. A bit puzzling to me, although this also isn't finished product and maybe there's still changes to the character model in the works?

Again, bro, why be so sensitive to how people are discussing this stuff online? Funny thing, I don't see the people who complain about female characters in games complaining about male characters, who are usually just as 'fantasized' or 'objectified' as the female characters. Funny how that works.

That all man, just saying lighten up. Not worth it...not even close. ESPECIALLY in online forums. Feel free to correct people all you want in real life! :)

This, along with your original post, is not a way to present an argument for dialogue. You seem a little extreme in your responses which will lead to knee jerk reactions and people just mocking you. Lay out your points calmly and you’ll get a better response.

Sinthor

Gold Member
This, along with your original post, is not a way to present an argument for dialogue. You seem a little extreme in your responses which will lead to knee jerk reactions and people just mocking you. Lay out your points calmly and you’ll get a better response.
Bingo... I should have said this as well. It was what I was thinking. Attacking is never the best way to convince people of your side of an argument. Just makes them defensive and/or lash back out at you. That's what I meant about white knighting. Just doesn't work...and not needed. Not even warranted in this case, IMHO. But...everyone's got their own opinion. If people want to spend their energy raging at the biases that nature and biology tend to give each of the sexes...have at it.

Top Bottom