• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF Votes FOTY 2013 Thread: Fail Of The Year

Akihidas

I won't say the Xbone as it seems to have had a decent launch, however the Xbone reveal...

I still don't understand how anything that was said during that time was greenlit to be okay, nearly everything that was said was terrible PR-wise and fairly offensive (see Orth). They at even backtracked on most of it proving how much of a fail it was. So yeah, Xbone reveal/ DRM/ everything else that ties with it.

Mindlog

Xbox One's marketing surely was a massive failure.

*I wish we could loop EA into one. Sim City + Battlefield 4 was unacceptable.
I hate the early XBOX policies as much as everyone else, but that thing is still selling pretty well.

*That's pretty easy to do and it gets my vote. Pre-ordering. We consistently crap on the Worst Company in America yet we keep buying their games. Just a little bit of caution would go a long way to making an actual difference at EA.

Pre-ordering gets my vote for, Fail of the Year.

Raxus

By far the Xbox One DRM fiasco. They dug themselves a deep hole in what could have been am easy lay up for their 3rd generation.

UberTag

My vote is...

xbox180-nintendoenthusiast-620x350_large.jpg

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
With the risk of sounding like a sheep : Xb1 drm / always on fiasco pre-launch

Microsoft's marketing was generally abysmal 6 months ago so I can see how that's a popular choice. In the end though they had a pretty miraculous turn around and (for the most part) listened to and acted on the feedback. I think you have to give Microsoft credit for that.

If I had to pick out someone that had an awful year I'd say EA in general. While their 2014 and beyond looks pretty promising their 2013 was far from it. Crysis 3 and Dead Space 3 were both generally disappointing to the majority of gamers. You had Sim City which took always online failure to whole new levels. There was the Plants vs. Zombies 2 debacle with microtransactions and in-app purchases. Fuse went through development hell and was essentially sent to die by EA. NBA Live 14 was supposed to revitalize EA Sports basketball games and turned out to be probably the absolute worst launch game on both the PS4 and Xbox One. And of course there's Battlefield 4 which is still struggling through the issues of being a game that just flat out wasn't ready to launch.

So yeah, while EA's next few years look relatively good in terms of games, they'd get my vote for 2013.

Omega

Banned
how EA doesn't win this in a landslide in beyond me

There was a thread dedicated to just how much they fucked up in 2013. No one comes close

They shit the bed in almost every month and had absolutely nothing go their way

There's a lot of contenders, but the XBox One DRM Saga is probably the highest on that list.

It was just...baffling from every possible perspective. In the best case scenario, you can assume they are twitchy and reactionary and even that's fucking crazy.

Haunted

Microsoft and XB1 are my fail of the year.

Whether you think it was a greedy, anti-consumer agenda thwarted by the public or misconstrued, unlucky miscommunication on MS' part - it was a clusterfuck.

One that will cost them millions, if not billions of dollars in market- and mindshare this generation.

MormaPope

Banned
Xbox One DRM and marketing as a whole. Some of the most haphazard and toxic policies mixed in with abysmal messaging made the Xbox One incredibly unappealing.

megalowho

The launch of SimCity.

The Xbox One reveal and DRM policy was the most entertaining, but it ultimately will have little impact down the road thanks to the reversals. SimCity's spectacularly broken launch and the numerous downers and apologies that followed in its wake is our cautionary tale for the games as service model moving forward, one that we're seemingly doomed to repeat over and over (it's already happening). If developers want to create new online based experiences that are social and ongoing, consumers need to trust that their $60 transaction still results in a working product. SimCity broke that trust, and it's been on shaky ground ever since.

Dambrosi

Banned
Xbox One DRM/unveiling/PR disaster, no doubt. So bad, it even overshadows failures like Wii U sales, PlayStation Vita, SimCity 2013 and even Electronic Arts' ongoing troubles.

So bad that, to this day, many months after the smoke has cleared, you still have forumites calling the machine "Xbone" as an insult. And it's still funny, dammit.

One thing I will say, though - this year, there was plenty of industry bullshit for gamers to get up in arms about. When you think of how it could have been...*shudders*

elektrixx

Banned
It was initially a tie between SimCity and Xbox One DRM, but I think Xbox One takes it. That whole thing just went on for so long. Microsoft were smart to almost completely drop their promo focus towards Kinect and TV. They would've been Xboned if they kept it up.

daveo42

Banned
Microsoft's strategy with the Xbox One is probably the best way to round up all of the fiascos surrounding the system from reveal to launch.

Xbox One, easily, for just the fact that it would have harmed every single person who bought the console or was considering buying the console.

JB2448

The Xbox One's reveal created such a (deserved) stigma against the console in the "hardcore" sector that Microsoft really had to work at its feature set to maintain its marketability for this holiday season. So yeah, I'm going with that.

I will go with Bioshock Infinite. I've never been so disappointed by a game. They promised so much but delivered so little.

Honorable mentions:

-XBone anti used game fiasco and everything else that went along with it.
-The extreme hyperbole surrounding The Last of Us.
-The Wonderful 101 being ignored/misunderstood.
-The delays of games like Watch Dogs and Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze when Ubi and Ninty never had any intention of releasing them on their original dates.

I wish we could loop EA into one. Sim City + Battlefield 4 was unacceptable.

Yeah, when you include NBA Live's producers actually apologizing for how shitty and rushed the game was, it seems pretty unfair to let Electronics Arts off the hook for just one game.

But Xbone takes it. That whole system from the hardware to the policies to the price to the games (nice economy, Forza. Nice everything, Ryse) is ultra-fail.

A close race between WiiU sales and Xbox DRM for me, but I'm ultimately going with Xbox One DRM

This, I really want to give it to Wii U as the way Nintendo handled it led to sub Dreamcast sales, but I've never seen a company just trash all their momentum in only a few moves. In the end,Nintendo's handling of the Wii U will probably be the most detrimental, but for this year MS wins.

D

Deleted member 57681

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah, Xbone reveal mos def. All that TV crap...

Sean

Banned
Xbox One DRM and Microsoft's total PR clusterfuck pretty much all year. Most gamers were vehemently against the product months before it was even revealed thanks to that Adam Orth debacle. And then the NSA spying leak stuff happened literally a day before the reveal where the forced Kinect was revealed, just really really bad all around. To Microsoft's credit they did react quickly and do a bunch of 180's and resolved most issues, but the damage was probably already done.

Battlefield 4 is another major fail, game feels like it was released half finished just to beat Call of Duty to the market. This was their chance to take mindshare/marketshare away from CoD but they dropped the ball by releasing one of the most buggiest games I've ever encountered.

daripad

Xbox One DRM. Nothing comes close to it, the entire gaming community was against it and even people that are not very aware of videogames got to know about the problem. Microsoft had to do the 180 to gain credibility because the console would do badly otherwise

Top Bottom