• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Galak-Z: The Dimensional |OT| Macross the Universe

Tunavi

Banned
From a few hours on season 1
The good
It's fun
It's hard as shit
Power ups are interesting

The bad
The voice acting is a joke
The field of view is too small
Framerate drops during the huge chain explosions

Not sure about the controls yet. Sometimes I find myself losing control of what I'm doing

From a few hours on season 1
The good
It's fun
It's hard as shit
Power ups are interesting

The bad
The voice acting is a joke
The field of view is too small
Framerate drops during the huge chain explosions
It's a shame that part came out so rough. I had a bit higher hopes for Michael Sinterniklaas and Sarah Elmaleh. I don't know that it's so much them as it might be the writing itself.

It's a shame that part came out so rough. I had a bit higher hopes for Michael Sinterniklaas and Sarah Elmaleh. I don't know that it's so much them as it might be the writing itself.

It's the writing. I always have problems with criticism like this when the dev is in the thread, but... it's bad. The humor and the timing are terrible and whatever else they're talking about is hard to care about.

Also it has nothing to do with anime. With the obvious influence you'd think they'd make people talk like they do in anime as well. It's hard to get nostalgic for the theme like this. This is dialogue that could be straight out of something like Uncharted, only worse.

Momentary

Banned
Why the hell do people keep saying this game is like Dark Souls? Because it's hard? Get the hell out of here with that.

Tohsaka

Wasn't this supposed to have dual audio? I'm almost positive I remember reading that at one point. I guess they had to scrap that plan for whatever reason.

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
Anyone having frame-rate issues please be sure you are playing the patched version. Hit the options button while the Galak-Z tile is highlit on the PS4 dashboard and update the game!

This is a known issue, it appears to be correlated with users with very full or fragmented hard drives. Deleting unnecessary content usually cleans it up. We are working on it for our first patch, coming soon.

I appreciate you taking your time to address these posts. Kudos.

danowat

Banned
Couple of things.

Only engage an enemy or enemies if your sure you've got a chance, risk/reward is a big thing, also, stealth is your friend, don't just charge in headfirst.

Don't just fixate on your goal, explore, pickups are worth taking the path less trodden.

105.Will

Beat season 1 tonight. Really digging this game so far. The controls feel interesting, weird at first, but you can tell that with some practice you can pull off some crazy shit. The frame rate is kinda all over the place though which in sure has been mentioned.

Played for a little bit and really getting into it. I love how dying and starting over changes the missions and levels even though you're repeating the same season. Really makes things a lot more interesting. The controls aren't as difficult as I thought they would be and feel very good. The gameplay is just tight

Forgot to mention the music. It's so good

Teknoman

An intentionally bad faux-dub would have been better than what's there currently.
I guess you mean something like this?

I would have loved that

Heh stuff like that from Space Firebird, Techno Police, etc. back in the day. Did they just use the same VA for all early dubs back then? All even have that same "tin can" sound.

I do still wish the music had that early 80s kinda 70ish vibe most anime seemed to have.

https://youtu.be/gIeVMgbXZWA?t=3m19s

Explosions (ESPECIALLY the explosions), animations, lasers and missile streams are incredibly on point though.

danowat

Banned
I don't get the "voice acting is a joke" complaints, what is it specifically that's wrong with it?, nothing in it stuck out to me as particularly bad.

Wonder if there is much of an option to change things

The fact you've got ccontinous motion of inertia, thrust, reverse thrust/brake, direction and firing on four separate controls makes it hard.

Wonder if direction and thrust mapped both to left stick would have altered the game too much? Or even made it a twin stick system as the right stick isn't really utilized.

Been trying to figure out why the devs thought that the game would lose something by giving the option for twin stick controls. It's artificially more difficult the way it currently plays. We don't need right analog to 'peek'. Giving the player the option to make these twin stick controls would be fantastic. Currently, the controls annoy the heck out of me. Again, artificially increased challenge.

Teknoman

Trying to create feel of piloting a spaceship of sorts?

I'm kinda biased since honestly I feel that twin stick shooting controls always seem too loose or light for lack of better wording.

danowat

Banned
Been trying to figure out why the devs thought that the game would lose something by giving the option for twin stick controls. It's artificially more difficult the way it currently plays. We don't need right analog to 'peek'. Giving the player the option to make these twin stick controls would be fantastic. Currently, the controls annoy the heck out of me. Again, artificially increased challenge.

Maybe such a system was play tested and found to be too easy?.

Would be nice to hear about the development process in this game, couple of things appear to have been added to the game to (artificially?) increase difficulty / longevity

Heh stuff like that from Space Firebird, Techno Police, etc. back in the day. Did they just use the same VA for all early dubs back then? All even have that same "tin can" sound.

I do still wish the music had that early 80s kinda 70ish vibe most anime seemed to have.

https://youtu.be/gIeVMgbXZWA?t=3m19s

Explosions (ESPECIALLY the explosions), animations, lasers and missile streams are incredibly on point though.

Did you finish the first season? The credits theme (and the amazing logos afterwards) are very 80's anime. That gave me the biggest nostalgia feel of the game so far.

This game feels incredible. They absolutely nailed every aspect of movement, combat, and enemy deaths. Once you can get a grip on the controls, particularly aiming, juking, and reverse thrusters without losing your bearings, it turns into a crazy bullet ballet where you really need to prioritize enemies and pick your spots wisely. The 1st chapter gets kinda hectic, but right away in 2-1, when the Void Raiders are introduced, the potential 4 way scenarios you can find yourself in are pure chaos. I had an extended encounter a moment ago that started with a 1v1 against that hyper aggressive Void Raider ship and escalated to include every faction as the battle poured across a big chunk of the map I was in. Lasted a good 3 or 4 minutes and I don't know how I made it out alive (especially since I ran out of missiles). The 80s cartoon/anime presentation is very nostalgic (those credits), and the soundtrack is great.

My favorite loadout so far is spread shot + plasma core + bouncing bullets. So messy.

GIFa1018.gif

Bleep

I'm really enjoying this game so far, aside from the inconsistent framerate.

The patch downloaded for me this morning I believe. I didn't need to do anything once the game was available
well you download the patch before it unlocks too

I don't leave my PS4 in standby, so I had to download it after it unlocked. No big deal of course, I just find patches on these new systems to be huge for my crappy Australian internet!

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
this game is good but surprisingly difficult at times lol

you can run 4 missions perfect then get fucked up in less than a second trying to be cute

the rogue-ness of the game also makes me feel that soft restarts might not always be a good idea too

Bleep

I assume there is no reason I can't just buy this on the US store as someone from UK who doesn't like to wait?

Playstation systems let you use accounts from any region on any system. You may need to buy a card for specific regions due to them blocking international credit cards though. I use an account set to USA from Australia.

danowat

Banned
I assume there is no reason I can't just buy this on the US store as someone from UK who doesn't like to wait?

Nope, only thing that might be an issue is DLC, you'd have to buy that from the US site (assuming there is ever any)

I also missed out on the PS+ discount though as I didn't have plus on my US account

Just finished the prologue and net myself a silver trophy. This game is amazing. Throwback to my days playing Subspace/Continuum. Love the 80s anime tribute.

Great job, 17 bit!

Top Bottom